muslims please introduce yourselves.

abuyusufalshafii

Reaction score
Al salamu 'alaykum

Are there any other Muslims here, Sunni, Shi'i, Athari etc.?

Please make yourselves known so we can talk and learn from each other.

I'm a Sunni but I love to read up on Shi'ism and Athariyyah.

Currently studying al 'Aqidah al Tahawiyyah and getting ready to study a beautiful book on tashayu' (shi'ism).

I would like to introduce myself and ask for sunni, shi'i and athari brothers or sisters to introduce themselves here.

shukran jazilan wa ma'as salamah

Al salamu 'alaykum

Wa'alaikum Salam..

I discovered Islam in my 20's in Birmingham UK .. am now 70.
The Muslim community is predominately Asian .. India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.

I do not identify with any particular sect/group, including Shi'i. :)

bi kulli surur great to meet you. I studied more than one sect. I'm into tasawwuf mostly but I gain benefit from sunni's shi'is and atharis.

Thanks for the reply, ma'as salamah

Wa'alaikum Salam.

I'm Muslim Suni walhmdullh

Beware of straying from the right path

Islam is one approach... God is the One Creator
Our Prophet is our teacher and messenger, and his companions are role models for us.
Most of the differences are political, intellectual, and philosophical, and are not in the foundation and essence of Islam
Allah ( Almighty ) warned against factionalism and division

Indeed, those who have divided their religion and become sects — you, [O Muhammad], are not [associated] with them in anything. Their affair is only
to God; then He will inform them about what they used to do. (6:159)

He has ordained for you of religion what He enjoined upon Noah and that which We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], and what We enjoined upon Abraham and Moses and Jesus — to establish the religion and not be divided therein. … (42:13)

[30:31] You shall submit to Him, reverence Him, observe the Contact Prayers (Salat), and - whatever you do - do not ever fall into idol worship.
[30:32] (Do not fall in idol worship,) like those who divide their religion into sects; each party rejoicing with what they have.

A hadith from Prophet Mohammed(Peace Be Upon Him) concludes that there will be many sects(or particularly 73 sects) that exist among Muslims. But only one among them will be righteous and all others will be fabricated and does not represent true Islam.
There will be total 73 sects in Islam and only 1 will go to Jannah.
The companions of the Prophet Mohammed(Peace Be Upon Him) asked him about that one sect, the Messenger of Allah replied the one who follows me and my companion(Sahaba) will be that truthful sect.
The identity of that true sect is that it will always remain in majority among other Muslims in all times, i.e. , the follower of this particular sect will exist in all time with a majority comparing to other sects. This theory gives us the conclusion that all newly born sects are not the righteous sect. Any sect which comes up with a new belief in Islam can not be consider as righteous.​

I was considered to be a Muslim since birth, but my decision to really accept and practice Islam was an active free decision because I didn't face any expectations neither from my family nor from society (I've been living in Western Europe all my life).
I'm a Sunni Muslim; I'm not so much familiar with Shia traditions but I am principally open to Shia scholars as well.
I allow myself to request traditional (Sunni) opinions, individually, with interest and respect for the great scholars. I opt and engage for tolerance towards all those who hold other opinions as long as those share that tolerance and respect (without agreement) as well.
Reading the Holy Quran, I came to the conclusion that the Message that has come to prior prophets is not invalidated, so that I accept their Message contained in the "Bible" as relevant, with a certain distance, viewed from the last Message in the Quran.
I am generally more critical to Hadith than the main stream schools are, and I reject Hadith that contradicts the Quran, but I am not a Quranist who would doubt it principally.
My way is to try to really understand the Word of God by my limited means and to try my best to follow it.

There will be total 73 sects in Islam and only 1 will go to Jannah
I doubt that the hadith is authentic:

It's daif in chain, which alone does not prove that it is not authentic.

Bani Israel didn't split into 72 sects, rather, the background is that Bani Israel was scattered into 72 nations. There have never been 72 distinct Jewish sects. It's unlikely that an inspired speech contains a misinterpretation.

The hadith is sectarian, saying that only one Muslim sect is the right, and Muhammad (p.b.u.h) and his companions (a.s) belonged to this sect. However, there were no sects in the presence of the prophet, and the first shism already took place among his companions after his death.

Main reason for my rejection: The Quran repeatedly promises Jannah to those who believe in God and His last prophet, and do good deeds. All Muslim sects believe in God and His last prophet. The second criterion is to do good deeds, not to follow a particular sect. We should not discard the central promise of Quran for a weak hadith. A hadith that does this must be rejected

Al salamu 'alaykum

Please make yourselves known so we can talk and learn from each other.

I'm a Sunni but I love to read up on Shi'ism and Athariyyah.

Currently studying al 'Aqidah al Tahawiyyah and getting ready to study a beautiful book on tashayu' (shi'ism).

I would like to introduce myself and ask for sunni, shi'i and athari brothers or sisters to introduce themselves here.

shukran jazilan wa ma'as salamah
Wa Alaikum Salam- would you like to be introduced to Ahmadiyya beliefs? Do you know them, and if so do you consider them Muslims or heretics?

Wa Alaikum Salam- would you like to be introduced to Ahmadiyya beliefs? Do you know them, and if so do you consider them Muslims or heretics?
Salam,
I am a Muslim (Surprise!) ;)

I embraced Islam in my 20's in Birmingham UK .. raised as a Christian.
That was 45 years ago.

Salam,
I am a Muslim (Surprise!) ;)

I embraced Islam in my 20's in Birmingham UK .. raised as a Christian.
That was 45 years ago.
Nice to know that Isa. Let me know if you would like to get some info about Ahmadis (in case you dont know)

I know a little about Ahmadiyya Islam. One of my favorite authors/ teachers Nabeel Qureshi grew up in that. I don't think they are accepted by Sunnis as Muslims though if I'm right?

We've has a couple of Amidiyya threads:

They believe that Jesus survived the crucifixion and died in India in the first century and then returned in 1836 as Mizra Ghulam Ahmad (the Amidiyya new Messiah) who died in 1906 ... I think?
Yes you are mostly correct- I (as Ahmadi) believe the second coming of Jesus is all metaphorical and it points to the coming to a person with his attributes- and that person was Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian, India.

Official Ahmadiyya website: https://www.alislam.org

Back