Quran says that Jesus Christ died a natural death.

Ijaz Ahmad Ahmadi

Established Member
Reaction score
Quran 5:118
"
I said nothing to them except that which Thou didst command me — ‘Worship Allah, my Lord, and your Lord.’ And I was a witness over them as long as I remained among them, but since Thou didst cause me to die( tawaffaitani,)Thou hast been the Watcher over them; and Thou art Witness over all things. Therefore, Allah has stated that Hazrat Isa(as) has died because in these two places there is no mention of night, which would change the definition to sleep. About both of these verses, we find primary Islamic sources attesting to the fact that the verb tawaffa refers to death."

Interesting, as previous discussions on the subject from the Islamic perspective have been around the fact that Jesus did not die, and was not resurrected, but was raised alive to heaven, where he awaits his return in the last days -- after which he will die and be buried alongside Muhammad (pbuh) in the grave that is already prepared for him in Mecca?

Interesting, as previous discussions on the subject from the Islamic perspective have been around the fact that Jesus did not die, and was not resurrected, but was raised alive to heaven, where he awaits his return in the last days -- after which he will die and be buried alongside Muhammad (pbuh) in the grave that is already prepared for him in Mecca?
I think, what you wrote about Islamic perspective is the belief evolved with a misunderstanding, on the contrary, Quran declares more than 30 verses where it is clear that Jesus died a natural death, no human can go up to heaven alive, every human must face death, etc etc. important suggestion from me is to read Quran carefully you will find the answer is crystal clear.

Reactions: RJM
no human can go up to heaven alive
But can a human make clay birds to fly, or be born of a virgin, speak from the cradle or ask God to furnish a table full of food? What is the difference?

But can a human make clay birds to fly, or be born of a virgin, speak from the cradle or ask God to furnish a table full of food? What is the difference?
Yes, a man can do such things only by the command of God, not by his own power…Bible says in many places “by the command of God”…and Quran says with further clarity that…they (all prophets) all are servant of God, human and they have no power to do miracles unless God do by using them…miracles are for the people who do not want to believe that prophet…so God show such miracles to prove they are from God so people should obey them.

Yes, a man can do such things only by the command of God, not by his own power…Bible says in many places “by the command of God”…and Quran says with further clarity that…they (all prophets) all are servant of God, human and they have no power to do miracles unless God do by using them…miracles are for the people who do not want to believe that prophet…so God show such miracles to prove they are from God so people should obey them.
But then God could also raise Jesus alive to heaven?

Could and did according to Christian beliefs?
The resurrected Christ ascended
Could and didn't according to Islamic beliefs?
Jesus did not die on the cross and was not resurrected, but was taken up alive to heaven, according to Islam, as far as I know?

However neither @Ijaz Ahmad Ahmadi nor @Ismat seem to support the ascension of Jesus?

Islam rejects the resurrection, I believe?

..but was raised alive to heaven, where he awaits his return in the last days -- after which he will die and be buried alongside Muhammad (pbuh) in the grave that is already prepared for him in Mecca?
Correct .. this is the mainstream belief.

Reactions: RJM
Is this generally accepted by Sunni and Shia both?
I don't consider shia as mainstream. You'll have to ask them what they believe.
People believe all kinds of things. There are many sects as in Christianity.

Correct .. this is the mainstream belief.
Humbly asking, please show the verse from Quran where it is written, Jesus was raised to heaven alive (with earthly body)? And where it is written he will return back from HEAVEN? And where it is written he will be buried alongside Mohammad (PBUH)?
My desire is to prove where the misunderstanding is! And not to hurt anyone here!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam#:~:text=Most Islamic traditions categorically deny,survival are symbolic, not literal.

"Most Islamic traditions categorically deny that Jesus physically died on the cross or otherwise. Islamic exegesis report that another person was crucified in Jesus' place. However, some modern Muslim scholars believe that Jesus did indeed die, and references to his survival are symbolic, not literal ...
There are more than 30 evidences from Bible itself to prove that Jesus did not die on the cross, but he survived the accursed death which Jews tried to accomplish, but God is powerful than anyone/anything…God protected his prophet as per his promise to Jesus which Jesus himself prophesied by mentioning ‘Sign of Jonah”.

About the thought…that another person was crucified in Jesus’s place…please show me the proof from either Holy Bible or Holy Quran… If not then please ask me question…what is the truth then? I will love to explain in detail with biblical references and Quanic references.

Humbly asking, please show the verse from Quran where it is written, Jesus was raised to heaven alive (with earthly body)? And where it is written he will return back from HEAVEN? And where it is written he will be buried alongside Mohammad (PBUH)?
Mainstream Islam believes in the hadith as well.
Many people question the authority of hadith, and I think this is where the differences in sectarian belief mainly lie.

That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-
Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-

-Quran 4:157–158=

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_views_on_Jesus'_death

Last edited:
please ask me question…what is the truth then? I will love to explain in detail with biblical references and Quanic references.
Hi @Ismat
I'm asking.

The OP seems to reflect the Ahmadiya viewpoint?
Jesus in Ahmadiyya Islam

Ahmadiyya Islam considers Jesus (ʿĪsā) as a human mortal man and prophet of God, born to the Virgin Mary (Maryam). Jesus is understood to have survived the crucifixion based on the account of the canonical Gospels, the Qurʾān, ḥadīth literature, and revelations (waḥy and kas̲h̲f) to Mīrzā G̲h̲ulām Aḥmad. Having delivered his message to the Israelites in Judea, Jesus is understood to have emigrated eastward to escape persecution from Judea and to have further spread his message to the Lost Tribes of Israel.

In Ahmadiyya Islam, Jesus is thought to have died a natural death in India. Jesus lived to old age and later died in Srinagar, Kashmir, and his tomb is presently located at the Roza Bal shrine.

Although sharing many similarities with the other Islamic views of Jesus, the Ahmadiyya teachings are distinct from the beliefs held by most mainstream Muslims, who deny the crucifixion of Jesus and believe that he ascended bodily to heaven, and will, according to Islamic literary sources, return before the end of time.

Ahmadis believe the prophecies surrounding the second advent of the messiah Jesus were fulfilled in the likeness and personality of Mīrzā G̲h̲ulām Aḥmad, who initiated the foundation of the Ahmadiyya movement.

(I apologise that your recent posts were delayed. That has now been sorted out and will not happen again. Sorry for the inconvenience)

(edited ...)

Last edited:
Removed. See post above

Last edited:
Mainstream Islam believes in the hadith as well.
Many people question the authority of hadith, and I think this is where the differences in sectarian belief mainly lie.

That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-
Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-

-Quran 4:157–158=

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_views_on_Jesus'_death
Brothers, in the verse “Allah raised him up unto Himself” …here, is there any word “Alive or earthly body” mentioned? So we can believe that Jesus was taken up to heaven alive and with earthly body?

Hi @Ismat
I'm asking.

The OP seems to reflect the Ahmadiya viewpoint?
Why do you need to delete my phrase? This is a scholarly discussion and I am giving my thoughts with proofs and evidence for the audience to verify and validate the point. There could be thousands different viewpoints in Wikipedia…lets just put aside and focus on the scripture only as that is the source of believe…so once again please ask your question and answer my above questions… I believe this is great education platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back