Why can’t you touch a magician?

Bumpper

Reaction score
Does anyone know why you’re not suppose to touch someone who has preformed a magick ritual until it’s complete, or until the result is accomplished? I might be misstating this, but I believe there is something in magick where a magician isn’t suppose to be touched? Any thoughts would be appreciated?

@Bumpper I have a vague memory of hearing something like this. I think though, that it was no physical contact while the ritual was being performed. Sorry I can't be more precise but it is many years since I have known anybody with interests in this area.

I've seen this in movies, usually when a character is performing a seance or something. 'Don't break the circle' was a rule I always heard about seances, the same as the rule that you have to say 'goodbye' when using an Ouija board, or else an evil spirit can break through.

In my understanding, those who practice magic are working with or manipulating energies for an intended purpose. If that is the case, I would imagine this could be viewed much in the way one would see the flow of electricity.

If electricity is flowing through a circuit someone creates for the purpose of lighting a light bulb, and an outside grounded conductor were to come in contact with that circuit, the flow of electricity to the light bulb is disrupted and no longer able to light the bulb.

So it would stand to reason that someone who believes in the practice of magic would believe that touching someone who is performing a magical ritual or spell might disrupt the energy flowing through the mage.

Reactions: RJM
In my understanding, those who practice magic are working with or manipulating energies for an intended purpose. If that is the case, I would imagine this could be viewed much in the way one would see the flow of electricity.

If electricity is flowing through a circuit someone creates for the purpose of lighting a light bulb, and an outside grounded conductor were to come in contact with that circuit, the flow of electricity to the light bulb is disrupted and no longer able to light the bulb.

So it would stand to reason that someone who believes in the practice of magic would believe that touching someone who is performing a magical ritual or spell might disrupt the energy flowing through the mage.
"manipulating energies" is not my experience, I've practiced various forms of magic for almost 40 years (yeah I'm 0lde) and your definition isn't how the occult community defines magic.

"manipulating energies" is not my experience, I've practiced various forms of magic for almost 40 years (yeah I'm 0lde) and your definition isn't how the occult community defines magic.
Fair enough.

I really have no interest in debating definitions of magic and derailing the thread. I was just answering the OP's question based on my own understanding.

Last edited:
I wonder if 'resonance' has any relevance here?

There is also the aspect of 'transmission' which, in an occult or perhaps an alchemical sense, can occur by touch, so it's not only a case of the 'outsider' interfering with the work of the practitioner, it also works the other way round – the touch of the practitioner can also effect / affect the 'outsider'.

There are long-lost clues to this:
The laying on of hands (specific in the Abrahamic Traditions, but I'm sure there are broader comparatives in other traditions.)

"When she had heard of Jesus, came in the crowd behind him, and touched his garment ... And immediately Jesus knowing in himself the virtue that had proceeded from him, turning to the multitude, said: Who hath touched my garments?" (Mark 5:27, 30)

"Jesus saith to her: Do not touch me, for I am not yet ascended to my Father." (John 20:17)

I am also in mind of an old saying I heard: "Beware the waters of the mouth"

(Also the passing of a curse with the spit)

I'm sure there are other clues lurking in my mind but at present they escape me ... having a quick look round I see no contemporary reference – touch has now been reduced to the mundane practice of massage therapy ... but again maybe I'm looking in the wrong places/the wrong way.

Back