Moral Confusion Or Hatred?

Nicholas Weeks

Bodhicitta
Reaction score
Dennis Prager on current conflict in & near Israel:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/10...eans-either-moral-confusion-or-hatred-israel/

"Moral equivalence has two purposes. One is to enable the morally confused to hide their confusion. The other is to enable the immoral to hide their immorality.[...]

The same holds true for all those who now assert that Israeli and Palestinian children are equally precious. Given that the Palestinian regime in Gaza (i.e., Hamas) is dedicated to murdering every Jew in Israel—great-grandmothers down to infants; given that Hamas and all their Muslim and non-Muslim left-wing supporters around the world seek to annihilate the nation of Israel; given that Israel has, almost uniquely among the nations of the world, regularly warned Gaza civilians to evacuate buildings that Israel planned to bomb (thereby losing the advantage of a surprise attack on Hamas operatives); and given that Hamas places its leaders and weapons in schools, hospitals and apartment buildings for the express purpose of bringing death down on women and children, what exactly do those who assert that Israeli and Palestinian babies are equally precious seek to accomplish?"

Last edited:
Oh Lord, as the weakest of creatures, as a child in the womb, I submit unto Thee

This author (T. Buckley) chooses Jew hatred being the long-standing motive of Hamas. A little recent history tells the tale:

https://issuesinsights.com/2023/10/17/hamas-and-israel-a-thought-experiment/

"After World War I, when it turned out Britain lied (Surprise!) to various and sundry Arabs to get their help, the Mandate was put in place. The British decided to appoint Amin al-Husseini as Grand Mufti of Jerusalem. al-Husseini was not, shall we say, a fan of Jews and was most irked when they started to show up in greater numbers. He was one of the first Palestinian nationalists and one of the reasons he wanted Britain out was so that he could throw the Jews out, too.

Not idle talk, either – he collaborated with the Nazis, met Hitler personally, & knew about the Holocaust (he said Himmler told him,)..."

Dennis Praeger does not speak for me. He does not speak for the Jewish community st large. I would hope that the non-Jewish world realizes that.

Dennis Praeger does not speak for me. He does not speak for the Jewish community st large. I would hope that the non-Jewish world realizes that.
So Rabbi O is the primary spokesperson for the Jewish community?

Pardon, but Prager speaks too much truth so often that he is a heroic figure to me. (And to perhaps a few American Jews also.)

Greenblatt, CEO of the ADL agrees about the deeply rooted hatred of Jews that Hamas teaches & practices.

https://time.com/6323178/antisemitism-israel-gaza-attack-essay/

"Hamas and its co-conspirators in the Muslim world had been vilifying Jews for decades, starting with their founding charter, which is full of antisemitic bile. They constructed an entire architecture of antisemitism that spanned the world and spanned spheres from academia to religion, politics and culture. There were many people who should have been pushing for a just resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but instead had adopted an ideology of hate that did not see Jews as worthy of a piece of land or even as equal contestants in a historical struggle. It saw them as subhuman."

Greenblatt, CEO of the ADL agrees about the deeply rooted hatred of Jews that Hamas teaches & practices.
We all know that .. what are you trying to say?

The British hated the Germans in the WWars .. that's how it is.
It can change .. but BOTH sides have to change.

How can it change while 2 million people are being oppressed?
It can only get worse .. not better.

The Zionists made a mistake. They should not have declared Israel.
Too late now, of course..

So Rabbi O is the primary spokesperson for the Jewish community?

Pardon, but Prager speaks too much truth so often that he is a heroic figure to me. (And to perhaps a few American Jews also.)
I have never held myself out as a primary, let alone the primary, spokesperson for the Jewish community. We both know that. Nor did I say that Prager had no support from any in the Jewish community. I said, and I stand by what I said, that Prager does not speak for the Jewish community at large.

Last edited:
Seems to me people believe people who believe as they do...they often think them intelligent and speaking for the masses when they sing their tune.

Seems to me people believe people who believe as they do...they often think them intelligent and speaking for the masses when they sing their tune.
Funny how that is...I see it all around me, particularly the tiniest minorities with outsize voices amplified with bullhorns.

Times editorial Monday 16/10/2023

The Longest Hatred

Sir Ephraim Mirvis, the chief rabbi, wrote before the Jewish Sabbath on Friday: "I can hardly think of a moment in my life when the phrase 'Shabbat Shalom' resonated so deeply." He was alluding to the murder, torture, rape and abduction of hundreds of civilians in Israel, including nationals of many other countries, by Hamas. And as he intimated, these acts of barbarism have for Jews worldwide a powerful historical resonance.

The pogrom of October 7 will be commemorated for generations, but it is not a unique event. It recalls the antisemitic persecutions that punctuated the19th-century history of eastern and central Europe and paved the way for the Holocaust. Antisemitism, as the Irish historian Conor Cruise O'Brien noted, is a light sleeper. The proper response is not only warm words and sympathy for the victims but practical support for the Jewish people, and the Jewish state, in combating what is aptly known as the longest hatred.

The atrocities visited upon civilians in Israel almost defy belief but appear to include the murder and mutilation of infants. To a country and a people in mourning, British institutions have extended solidarity. The King condemned the "barbaric acts of terrorism" and held a private audience with Sir Ephraim. The Prince and Princess of Wales aptly referred to Israel's right of self-defence, as have Rishi Sunak and James Cleverly, the foreign secretary, and their Labour counterparts Sir Keir Starmer and David Lammy.

Yet these humane sentiments are far from universally held. The Scottish parliament has refrained from flying the Israeli flag in sympathy. Part of the reason doubtless lies in the participation of the Greens in the Scottish government, a party whose conference in 2015 resolved to “condemn Zionism as a racist ideology based on Jewish supremacy in Palestine". And demonstrations at the weekend across the UK, including one in London addressed by Jeremy Corbyn, the former Labour leader, pointedly depicted Israel not as victim but as aggressor.

It is legitimate to criticise the policies of the government of Israel; it is unacceptable to demand of Israel a standard of self-abnegation that no other democracy would accept for itself. Hamas's atrocities are born not of desperation but of theocratic fanaticism. The Jewish state has not only the right but the duty to protect its civilians by defeating this death cult, which openly declares its aim of destroying Israel.

In seeking to rescue hostages, Israel's defence forces must simultaneously protect civilian lives in Gaza. And as Hamas deliberately embeds itself in areas of high civilian density, this is excruciatingly difficult. While Israel should preserve humanitarian corridors for the evacuation of civilians, and the delivery of food and medicines, the tragic reality is that Hamas is a catastrophe for Gaza, and for the just cause of Palestinian statehood alongside a secure Israel, as well as for the Jews.

Times are bleak for a lasting peace but, if that goal is ever to be attained, some principles need stressing. Israel has numerous failings and injustices but Zionism is not some aggressive colonial enterprise: it is a project, rooted in Enlightenment thinking, to enable a historically oppressed people to survive and flourish. Its founding ethos is pluralism. Its founding figures faced down extremism within their own ranks.

Eliding the crucial distinction between criticism of Israeli policies and atavistic hostility to the Jewish state allows hoary antisemitic conspiracy theories to incubate and thrive. Democratic nations and civil society should ensure that, in confronting such toxic notions, the Jewish people do not fight alone. And in relations with Israel they must assert the words of Abraham Lincoln in the Gettysburg address that "any nation so conceived and so dedicated... shall not perish from the earth".

1697646468428.png

IMO nobody should try to pretend this is a media hype event didn't really happen

Last edited:
VD Hanson on hatred of Jews & Israel:

https://victorhanson.com/the-unhinged-among-us/

"October 7 should have been an open-and-shut case of moral condemnation.

During peace and holiday, invading Hamas gunmen murdered, tortured, mass raped, decapitated, and mutilated some 1,200 Israelis. The vast majority were unarmed women, children, infants, and the elderly.

The cowardly murderers proudly filmed their atrocities and then fled back to Gaza—to cheers from the Gaza street.

Before Israel even retaliated, the mass murdering of Jews earned praise from the Middle East, the international hard left, and especially the faculty and students of elite Western campuses."

Does anyone speak for the Jewish community in total? I think not....not amongst my Jewish friends anyway.

Back