Finding peace in interfaith relationships and studies

_Hermes_

Reaction score
Somehow right now I am at a point in my life where I find more peace in esoteric interfaith relationships and esoteric comparative studies than in esoteric studies and esoteric groups alone. Anyone else that feels this way?

I don't know if its something I brought with me since my childhood/teenage years or (maybe from past lives) where I get such a great, great sadness whenever I see dogmatism and dogmatic behavior.

I don't want it to be a part of anybodys life really, but at the same time I see that it is this great heresy of separation among humans that keeps feeding it. What's feeding it is the "I am alone" "I am me" feeling in and amongst humans and that I don't see myself as part of. We are distinct but not alone or separate human beings.

But the majority of human beings still believe in this absurdity. And the most common reason is that they haven't even thought of a world beyond what they can materialisticly see, smell and touch.

Please say that there is anyone else that shares my view. And please tell me how to get rid of this great grief of mine. I am going under.

Somehow right now I am at a point in my life where I find more peace in esoteric interfaith relationships and esoteric comparative studies than in esoteric studies and esoteric groups alone. Anyone else that feels this way?
Well, I wouldn't say that I am involved with esoteric beliefs, but I definitely prefer a less
narrow-minded view of the world.

I don't know if its something I brought with me since my childhood/teenage years or (maybe from past lives) where I get such a great, great sadness whenever I see dogmatism and dogmatic behavior..
I don't like dogmatic behavior either .. it is prone to lead to extremism.
The middle way is the best path .. it does not necessarily mean we have to compromise our beliefs.
It means that we are more ready to listen to others, and not so quick to condemn. :)

So why doesn't all people see this middle way? What do you think?

I keep on asking myself why I feel like I am going under because others don't have insight into self. But that's probably just another manifestation of my connection to other peoples souls, not being able to shield oneself from others suffering, I simply don't know how I do that. At least not with this kind of suffering.

Last edited:
I think that "birds of a feather flock together" :)
Of course that is a bit simplistic, but we are affected by others, and some like to feel
they are a significant part of something, and see that as more important than other considerations.

I keep on asking myself why I feel like I am going under because others don't have insight into self.
When I get lost in my thoughts like that, my loved ones tell me that I need to think
positively, and try to be optimistic. :)

I keep on asking myself why I feel like I am going under because others don't have insight into self.
I don't think it's a good idea to upset yourself about the world. Take people as they are; take every individual as s/he is. Don't try to change them?

Last edited:
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann ©1927

I keep on asking myself why I feel like I am going under because others don't have insight into self. But that's probably just another manifestation of my connection to other peoples souls, not being able to shield oneself from others suffering, I simply don't know how I do that.

I don't think it's a good idea to upset yourself about the world. Take people as they are; take every individual as s/he is. Don't try to change them?
Thank you. Yes maybe it's a good idea to look at the individual themself instead of looking at the world as a whole in this case.

Reactions: RJM
Yes maybe it's a good idea to look at the individual themself instead of looking at the world as a whole in this case.
I think science says we developed the need to differentiate between friend and foe, prey and predator, what plants we can eat and which are posion.

That was rudimentary survival techniques which were required for the propagation and continuation of our species.

While that portion of our evolution is currently complete as apex predators...our need to categorize and group and find our group continues.

As far as I can see those that go full orthodox in any religion naturally separate themselves from other religions but also most of their own religion. Since we still want to maintain our groupings we tend to put down, deride folks who don't follow every jot and tiddle per our understanding to get them to come along.

The worst thing that can happen is any watering down of our beliefs by others, after all, one rotten apple...

But it is my belief you are not alone.... it is just that many won't raise their hand as they still remember what the ruler feels like on their knuckles.

Guess I never got the ruler on my knuckles being brought up in a home and a country with high tolerance for religious matters and great freedom of speach. I should consider myself lucky.

I figured out that if I view everyone in my life as happy, wise and enlightened, perhaps that will start to manifest. Just a thought.

Reactions: wil
May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the light surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
May your song always be sung
And may you stay forever young
-- Bob Dylan

I keep on asking myself why I feel like I am going under because others don't have insight into self. But that's probably just another manifestation of my connection to other peoples souls, not being able to shield oneself from others suffering, I simply don't know how I do that. At least not with this kind of suffering.
You are not alone, but are among the few that see if anyone suffers in this world, we all suffer. In saying that, we can also consider that to suffer in this world is an opportunity to grow spiritually. Most of the suffering in the world today is a result of us clinging to the material pursuits over our spiritual well-being, the oppression of our souls results.

"What "oppression" is more grievous than that a soul seeking the truth, and wishing to attain unto the knowledge of God, should know not where to go for it and from whom to seek it? For opinions have sorely differed, and the ways unto the attainment of God have multiplied. "Bahá’u’lláh, The Ki tab-i-Ian, p. 29

There is a lot that can be discussed. We can find happiness and joy in service to others.

Regards Tony

I realised my trust in the karmic process or higher will is unstable. Whether people suffer or not during their process is all part of the bigger picture. So I will just have to trust the karmic process more.

And also I just finished a great lecture on self actualization or peak experiences/ mystical experiences where the teachings of Maslows pyramid of self actualization was thought, he actually also understood that these peak experiences or experiences of enlightenment are more common than we know and that some of them actually are forgotten about since they are not of value for the great public.

That said, we might be more enlightened than we know, it's just a question about when we will wake up.

Last edited:
Guess I never got the ruler on my knuckles
Corporal punishment was in my elementary school and middle school....the ruler, the paddle, open palm, hazing, and add switches, wooden spoons, and belts at caregivers and home. It took a village...lol, I thought it were normal.
peak experiences or experiences of enlightenment are more common than we know and that some of them actually are forgotten about since they are not of value for the great public.

That said, we might be more enlightened than we know, it's just a question about when we will wake up.
Absolutely, those with eyes shall see.

So much of the failures in our lives is part of the groundwork for awareness.

Hard to know what heat is until you touch the stove. Tough to completely see how much light there is until you experience darkness.

Where some can only see a glimmer, there is a beautiful glow.

he actually also understood that these peak experiences or experiences of enlightenment are more common than we know
But they are often short, and then it's back to the world. It's always back to the world. It's the world we have to live in? Ordinary people, ordinary things, day-to-day living?

Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water
After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water
-- zen proverb

Short but its enough to give me hope 🤗
But you shouldn't feel 'wrong' or deficient because the peak samadhi state isn't continuous? A person can only do their best to act from the highest level they can, and let God take over from there?

(enough from me ... sorry)

Nope. I'm not disappointed in that. It takes a lot of conditions to be fulfilled in order for the experience to take place. I understand that. Just didnt understand how "enlightement" works. Maslows got a very good explanation of that.

Reactions: RJM
The Scientology Tone Scale is along similar lines:

Rising from death at the bottom, through: apathy, grief, covert hostility, antagonism, mild interest, enthusiasm, exhilaration, to serenity of being

Back