Jesus' brother in India

didymus

Reaction score
Hi , I have read something that states Jesus' brother Thomas may have traveled to India. Do you know anything about this? If so please tell. Thanks

Yes agreed but don't think I have any links on it. But if I come across any will post.

being love

Kimxx

Thomas was a disciple/Apostle rather than brother by all accounts - but it is a very good question. Offhand I don't know where the story originates - I figure one of the Chruch Fathers relates the story?

Yes the meaning of the name twin seems to relate more to the fact that Thomas was the one that was most like Jesus in consciousness which is why Jesus taught him privately some of the higher truths which he did not teach the other Apostles. I think you have read the Gospel of Thomas so I am sure that you know the reference for this.

Scholar Hugh McGregor Ross states that his name meaning 'twin' must have been given by the other disciples in recognition of his spiritual affinity with the Master. There are strong living traditions by 52AD Thomas had began to set up a Church, still existing, in South India.

Have you done a search for the church in India? I remember seeing a website for it sometime ago.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

There are lots of websites about this, one states that it is myth that Thomas started a church in India and it is now not longer taught as part of Church history anymore. They claim that the Christian community in South India was founded by a merchant Thomas Cananeus in 345 A.D. (a name which readily explains the Thomas legend).

So if that is the case where did Apostle Thomas go?

http://hamsa.org/

Sacredstar

this website of Christian History claims that records were destroyed.

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2002/07/daily-07-03-2002.shtml

from an esoteric point of view during a remote viewing I was shown the scribe of Thomas hiding scrolls in a secret place, I was told these were hidden during the same time span that John the Divine received Revelations but they are still to be discovered, humanity is not ready yet to hear what is enclosed. So maybe when these are discovered we will have more information on the whereabouts of Thomas and where his life ended.

being love

Sacredstar

I have had the reoccuring thought that possibly the physical manifestation of Jesus after his death was Thomas his brother. Perhaps this is why nobody recognized him at first. I know that sounds crazy and I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion but it just keeps popping up in my head.

Namaste all,

regarding Jesus in India...

well... there are many websites that are long on rhetoric yet sort on evidence that make this claim. to date, i'm not aware of any historical/physical evidence that would support this theory.

that being said, it is certainly true that the Nestorian Christians had contact with the various Indian empires that were extant at the time, as such, it would not be too surprising to find later Christian writings, especially those from the Orthodox and other sects, that were similiar to teachings that one may find in the Sanatana or Buddha Dharmas.

well... there are many websites that are long on rhetoric yet sort on evidence that make this claim. to date, i'm not aware of any historical/physical evidence that would support this theory.

that being said, it is certainly true that the Nestorian Christians had contact with the various Indian empires that were extant at the time, as such, it would not be too surprising to find later Christian writings, especially those from the Orthodox and other sects, that were similiar to teachings that one may find in the Sanatana or Buddha Dharmas.
It is also amazing that not much is written outside the Bible about Jesus actually "walking the earth". Jewish/hebrew first names were common and there were perhaps quite a few that would have been named "Jesus" which is from the hebrew "Joshua".

For example, how did the whole country of Israel/ land of Judea and city of Jerusalem miss the "Christ" coming as foretold in the OT? If I were a jew today, I would also be perplexed on this as He was to come to His temple and this was while the one in the first century was still standing I believe, unless this also is "symbolic". :confused:
Steve

Malachi 3:1 Behold me! sending my messenger, who will prepare a way before me,-- and, suddenly, shall come to his temple, The Lord whom ye are seeking, even the messenger of the Covenant in whom ye are delighting, Lo! he cometh! saith Yahweh of hosts.

An interesting story is told in the christian NT about a blind man. What I don't understand is why 2 different greek words are used for "eyes"? Was it his "spiritual" site regained and is this more symbolic, as much of the Bible is and words are sometimes not translated in the way the greek word appears? Thanks.
Steve

Mark 8:22 And they come into Bethsaida. And they bring unto him one blind, and beseech him that him, he would touch. 23 And, laying hold of the hand of the blind man, he brought him forth outside the village, and, spitting into his eyes [#3659], laying his hands upon him, he was asking him--Anything, seest thou? 24 and, looking up, he was saying--I see men, because, like trees, I behold them walking 25 Then again, put he his hands upon his eyes [#3788], and he saw clearly, and was restored, and was seeing distinctly, in broad splendour, all things together.

3659. omma om'-mah from 3700; a sight, i.e. (by implication) the eye:--eye.

3788. ophthalmos of-thal-mos' from 3700; the eye (literally or figuratively); by implication, vision; figuratively, envy (from the jealous side-glance):--eye, sight.

It is also amazing that not much is written outside the Bible about Jesus actually "walking the earth".
gotta remember outta the few hundred spiritual texts that were used around the world at the time...when everything was outsid the bible...as the books hadn't yet been selected or cannonized until 4th century.
For example, how did the whole country of Israel/ land of Judea and city of Jerusalem miss the "Christ" coming as foretold in the OT?
ya get an 'A' for consistency...doesn't matter what question or what forum...

Heh heh, strange how I didn't find this thread earlier. Especially considering my family come from a long line of St. Thomas Christians from Kerela, India. Yes St. Thomas did come to India and the Christians he converted were called also Syriac Christians, Narsani Christians, ect. ect. Kerela Christians date back to even before the catholic church was formed I think! My parents still quite religious, and my siblings claim to be Christian as well (although not that religious). I can't say I could stay within such faith. In fact I am suprised WHY my ancestors decided to convert from Hinduism (a far more logical religion) to dogmatic illogical Christianity. :eek:

There is no single St. Thomas Church sect or anything. For example my father is protestant while my mother is catholic. I have feeling though that they adopted these words when they came to America decades ago ;).

The reason why there isn’t any evidence of St Thomas's time in India is that when the Portuguese arrived (16 century? could be earlier) they saw an established Christian society that wasn’t under the edict of Rome and therefore by definition heretical...they then proceeded to demolish all traces of Indian Christianity and substituted the Catholic system of worshiping Jesus.

redindica said:
The reason why there isn’t any evidence of St Thomas's time in India is that when the Portuguese arrived (16 century? could be earlier) they saw an established Christian society that wasn’t under the edict of Rome and therefore by definition heretical...they then proceeded to demolish all traces of Indian Christianity and substituted the Catholic system of worshiping Jesus.

Namaste redindica,

thank you for the post.

this would seem to suggest that the Portugese had control over the entire land, which is not the case.

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Namaste redindica,

thank you for the post.

this would seem to suggest that the Portugese had control over the entire land, which is not the case.

metta,

~v

Namaste Vajradhara

The Portugese I refer to were the ones that invaded and took over Goa. As far as I know (at this time) Christianity was only located in this state.

My information on this comes from a documentary (on TV) a number of years ago, I'll have to do some research and get back to you with some hard facts.

Peace
redindica

Namaste Redindica,

thank you for the post.

oh yes, their prescence in Goa is pretty undeniable.. interestingly enough, there are still Christian monestaries there, the last that i heard.

i look forward to reading what you find out :)

metta,

~v

Namaste All,

I believe the Portuguese did have influence on the West coast of India, including Kerala, and Sri Lanka in the 15th and 16th centuries. A lot maybe said about the bloody history of the Portuguese rule of Goa, but that's a whole new thread. As for the influence of the Portuguese in Kerala, I found the following:

Vasco de Gama's second foray into Kerala was tainted with such acts of barbarity that it was said that "…his deeds were blots in the annals of a Christian nation, and a disgrace to the name of humanity.." A succession of Governors, soldiers and priests set about expanding the territories and plundering the lands they conquered.

There was some organised resistance to the Portuguese expansionism, particularly at sea from the Samuthiris of Kozhikode. Notable among the Samuthiri's Admirals is Kunjali Marakkar, still a revered hero in Kerala. He achieved some sort of victory in checking the Portuguese expansionism, but against better weapons, technology and cunning, it was a losing battle.

An interesting sidelight is the Portuguese behaviour towards the thriving community of Christians in Kerala. Tradition has it that these Christians were converted by St.Thomas the Apostle in the 1st Century AD . The Portuguese were a little annoyed that the local Christians were more Hindus in their outlook, culture and traditions and never heard of the Pope in Rome. The famous Synod of Diamper (present day Udayamperoor near 14 Kms from Kochi) in 1599, decreed that all Christians henceforth revert to the Pope in Rome as the Supreme Spiritual head and not the Pontiff at Antioch.

This is the course of time led to a revolt by a section of the Syrian Christians. Legend has it that they took an oath - by tying themselves to a Cross at Kochi on 15 January 1653. This is known as the "Koonan Cross Oath" and is still revered as a turning point among the Syrian Christians who constitute about 23 percent of the population of Kerala. But the Portuguese had some success in proselytising and did manage to convert some communities along the coast to Christianity. They are the Latin Catholics and have become an influential section in Kerala.

Source: http://www.kerala.com/ke_historyeuropean.htm

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva said:
Namaste All,

I believe the Portuguese did have influence on the West coast of India, including Kerala, and Sri Lanka in the 15th and 16th centuries. A lot maybe said about the bloody history of the Portuguese rule of Goa, but that's a whole new thread. As for the influence of the Portuguese in Kerala, I found the following:

OM Shanti,
A.

Interesting article. I was suprised to see that the local Christians before the Portuguese had a more "Hindu" outlook. I assume they mean that the Christians were more tolerent and believed that all religions are valid. It is no wonder they practiced their faith with probably no bloodshed. My parents have the idea that their way is the only way and many of their beliefs do come from the West and not from what pre-15th century Christians believed (especiaclly considering my mother is Roman Catholic, obviously from Portuguese influence). Unless the whole "Hindu" outlook means something different, does it?

Also does anyone know the original Bible the Syrian Christians used before the Portuguese arrived?

Silver said:
I was suprised to see that the local Christians before the Portuguese had a more "Hindu" outlook.
I too wonder what this really means. I wonder if the Indian Christians at the time practiced Christianity and elements of Hinduism simultaneously, much like the later converted Goan Christians did, and (some) still do.

Also does anyone know the original Bible the Syrian Christians used before the Portuguese arrived?
I thought it was the Syriac Bible (Peshitta). If I'm not mistaken, it is believed that there were some families that had migrated from Syria in the 4th century to Kerala (that is what makes it Syrian Christianity). Perhaps they had brought with them the Syriac Bible (?). Clearly though, there was no local language bible at the time. Malayalam didn't even exist as a distinct language from Tamil until well into the 13th century, or so I've heard, and the first Malayalam Bible dates to 1841.

Here's something I found:
"The Indian Church had ties with the Persian Churches right from early period. It is assumed that Indian Churches invited Persian priests to teach the Bible. The earliest bibles translated from Greek are found in Syriac. Malayalam did not have bible until recently. So it was necessary to have priests from Syria to reach and explain to the believers. The church administrations were completely controlled by the local elders while the clergy who were brought into the country provided the ecclesiastical services and doctrinal teachings."
Source: http://www.indianchristianity.org/malankara.htm

Somehow I find it hard to believe that the Indian Syrian Christians for so many centuries had continuous contacts with Syria and Persia, but had no contact or knowledge of the Church in Rome until the Portuguese.

There's an interesting article on this subject on one of the Mar Thoma Church sites:

http://www.marthomasyrianchurch.org/heritage.htm

A dear friend of mine is an ArchBishop in the Mar Thoma Church (Malabar rite), here in California. He tells me that the Portuguese traders who regularly visited the pertinent regions along the coast of India didn't show much interest in what they considered to be the "inferior" and "unelightened' religious practices of the people living there, and basicaly stumbled upon the Mar Thoma Church by accident. Of course, after that happened, they took word back to Rome, and subsequently a batch of Jesuits wer sent to India to bring the Church there into alignment with Rome's decrees and dogma; to "catholicize" the Mar Thoma Church.

Hope that helps.

Vajradhara said:
I suggest a thought provoking book, having exactly the title “Jesus in India" that could be accessed at: (moderator edit
There is another interesting website(moderator edit)
Thanks
inhumility
E-mail:paarsurrey@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back