Isalm and its relationship to other religions

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the study of Islam, and I am kind of confused on an issue and am hoping for some help.

I am a Christian, and my view of religions is that all religions lead to salvation. The Jew will go to heaven for his faithfulness to Judaism, the Muslim to heaven/paradise for his faithfulness to Islam, and the Christian to heaven for his faithfulness to Christianity.

When I began to look at Islam though, I saw several passages in the Quran that suggest that Jews and Christians should have no fear on the day of judgment; I also saw other passages that warned against any other religion because only Islam was acceptable to Allah.

So my questions are, what are the liberal/conservative views on religious pluralism in Islam? Is Islam inclusivist at all? Or is Islam to be taken as the one and only way?

Salaamu Alyckum
When I began to look at Islam though, I saw several passages in the Quran that suggest that Jews and Christians should have no fear on the day of judgment; I also saw other passages that warned against any other religion because only Islam was acceptable to Allah.
Quid Est Veritas, thanks for your question ,you should know that Islam Consider the three heavenly religions a messages from Allah .and we must believe in it .

- Jews and Christians should have no fear on the day of judgment under some conditions which is mentions in this Quranic verses " Those who believe ( Muslims), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve " Quraan 5:69

The important thing how you believe in Allah notwhat is the name of your religion.

- You can see Christian person who is better than Muslim person or you can see Jewish person is better than Christian person , Just Allah know what each person think or do .Islam faith depend on what the person actually communicated with Allah , So there are many Muslims are Muslims by the name and this means that they are actually not Muslims . and you can read many verses in Al Quraan that all mankinds are Judged bu Allah according to what they did and what they thought of Allah not by the name of their religions , remember that if a man is Muslim it doesn't mean that he will not fear ,or he will save .

-There are many prophets sent from Allah to certain people at certain time ,and the most people Allah send prophets for them was Jews (For example Solomon ,Davide ,Jackob,Moses ,Jesus …) , But Allah sent Mohameed to all mankind , you can read many verses in Al Quraan Started with "O'h Mankind …." That is mean Allah speaks to all people in this book .

-In Al Quraan ,Allah told us what happened to Moses with his people ,and what happened to Jesus with his people and in incremently process Allah explained what happened each time , simply he sent Moses to Jewish then the people became far from the original Message of Moses , then he sent Jesus to the Jewish to correct the deviation but again the average of people rejected his message and the big evedence that the people corrupted his message after his" rising up" his suffering and pains at his final existence on the earth at that time , this what happened to his body and soul ,so you can imagine what they did with his tenets and message after he was gone !!!!!

-Quraan sent from Allah to explain the right way to communicate with your God , you can forget the name of the religion” Islam “ because Quraan not sent to Muslims only but to all mankinds , and the only thing which is important that we have a reality of the existence of Allah , and his messages and you can imagine that you have a friend who sent to you many messages some of them you can see and some of them you can read . you can read all of his messages to know him will , Just remember the historical arrangement of these messages .

I does not want to criticize any body here but to explain the Islam view point about other heavenly religions ,Thanks

Quid Est Veritas said:
I'm relatively new to the study of Islam, and I am kind of confused on an issue and am hoping for some help.

I am a Christian, and my view of religions is that all religions lead to salvation. The Jew will go to heaven for his faithfulness to Judaism, the Muslim to heaven/paradise for his faithfulness to Islam, and the Christian to heaven for his faithfulness to Christianity.

So my questions are, what are the liberal/conservative views on religious pluralism in Islam? Is Islam inclusivist at all? Or is Islam to be taken as the one and only way?
h| Quid Est Veritas,
Now that you have asked the question, i hope the answer will be taken in good faith as our belief and not something else by everyone reading this.
The basic idea is that whoever followed God's Law as related by His messenger(of whom there were many) to the nation/tribe towards which he was sent was on the right guidance. This was so until the Prophet Mohammad(pbuh) came as the previous messengers were meant for their people only; yet Prophet Mohammad(pbuh) was meant as a universal messenger as he is the final messenger and the Seal of the Prophets. Because of this, all these previous messages have now been superceded and this is the final form of the religion of God to man. There has always been ONE God and ONE religion. Thats what we believe and thats as short as i can put it. Personally, i believe it to be a disservice to Islam if i didnt explain what i just said as i fear that it might be misunderstood. So, please read on for details.
We have to understand the word Islam here in its wider sense for the Qur’an affirms that Jesus (pbuh) and his companions were Muslims and it says the same for every messenger and his first followers. ‘Islam’comes from the root word ‘Salam’, which means peace. Islam also means ‘Submitting your will to Almighty God’. Any one who submits his or her will to Almighty God, is called Muslim.
Surely the religion with ALLAH is Islam. [Qur’an, 3:19]
And whoso seeks a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he shall be among the losers. [Qur’an, 3:85]
So there is 'Islam' in this wider sense, surrender to the will of Allah and also 'Islam' in the sense of the religion of the revelation of the Qur’an and the tradition of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), which we all must follow now.
Many people have a misconception that Islam is a new Religion, which was founded by Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) 1400 years ago. In fact, Islam is there in existence since time immemorial - since man first set foot on earth. Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), is not the founder of the Religion of Islam. In fact, Qur’an says:
Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past) [Qur’an, 35:24; Also, see 13:7]
That means there were messengers and guides, sent to all the nations of the world. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) has mentioned that 'There were more than 1,24,000 Messengers sent on the face of the earth.' [Related in Musnad Ahmed] But by name, only 25 Prophets of Almighty God are mentioned in the Holy Qur’an. For example, Adam, Noah, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Ishmael, David, Solomon, Jesus, Muhammad (Peace be upon them all). But all the messengers that came before Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) - they were only sent for their people [See Vol. 1, Hadith #331, Sahih Bukhari]. Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is the last and final messenger, sent on the face of the earth, and Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was not sent only for the Arabs. Instead, the Holy Qur’an says:
We sent thee not, but as a Mercy for all creatures. [Qur’an, 21:107]
We have not sent thee but as a universal (Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sin), but most men understand not. [Qur’an, 34:28]
Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things. [Qur’an, 33:40]
So, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was not only sent for the Arabs, but was sent for the whole of humanity. Yet, it must be understood that Islam teaches that all of the messengers called their people to worship Allah alone and to disbelieve in everything that is worshipped instead of Him, and that they (the Messengers) were all truthful, righteous, wise, pious and honest, and that they conveyed everything with which Allah sent them, concealing and altering nothing. They did not add even one letter from themselves or omit anything. Their message was the same, from the first to the last of them, based on the principle of Tawheed, i.e., that all kinds of worship should be devoted to Allah alone, beliefs, words and deeds alike, and that everything that is worshipped instead of Allah is to be rejected. Allah says in the Qur’an (interpretation of the meaning):
And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): none has the right to be worshipped but I (Allah), so worship Me (Alone and none else) [Qur’an,21:25]
And ask (O Muhammad) those of Our Messengers whom We sent before you: ‘Did We ever appoint any deities to be worshipped besides the Most Gracious (Allah)?’ [Qur’an, 43:45]
Sheikh Ahmed Deedat explains this in his booklet The Muslim at Prayer as follows:
Although Islam is regarded as the youngest of all revealed religions, it is NOT A NEW RELIGION, but a continuation of the first religion of God to Man, purged and purified, time after time, from all human adulterations and restored to its original purity.
Thus, all prophets from Adam to Muhammad (peace be upon them all) came to preach the same religion; which continued to grow and grow until it reached perfection at the hands of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips explains the same in his bookletThe True Religion of God (1994) as follows:
Islam is not a new religion, but a continuation of the simple and powerful message of pure monotheism revealed by God throughout history. Islam is the one true religion, preached by all the messengers and prophets of God, including Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus - peace be upon them all. With the revelation of the Qur'an to God's final and greatest messenger Muhammad (pbuh), the pinnacle of this divinely revealed religion was reached, and the message of God to mankind completed and perfected. Embracing Islam is the sole means to fulfilling the purpose of our existence, which in turns leads to the attainment of true inner peace and eternal salvation.
Sheikh Muhammad Salih Al-Munajjid explains thatwith regard to the obligatory duties by which Allah is to be worshipped and the minor details of legislation, prayers and fasts may have been enjoined on some nations but not on others, and some things may have been forbidden to some and permitted to others, as a test from Allah. Furthermore, Shiekh Ahmed Deedat once explained in the context of these laws that whatever was revealed to a messenger of a particular nation, it was the fittest message for the need (according to their time). Some relevant verses are given below:
Who has created death and life that He may test you which of you is best in deed [Qur’an, 67:2]
Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested? [Qur’an, 29:2]
…To each among you, We have prescribed a law and a clear way… [Qur’an,5:48]
It is narrated in Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘The Prophets are like brothers from one father, their mothers are different but their religion is one’” – i.e., the Prophets are united on the principle of Tawheed, the message with which Allah sent every Messenger whom He sent, and which He included in every Book that He revealed, but their laws differed as to command and prohibitions, what was permitted and what was forbidden.
Regarding the revealed books, we only know 4 by name. Please see details on the thread below:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1980
Just one thing i wish to add to that thread above so that it is clear. Muslims confirm the previous revelations; yes that is true since the Qur'an confirms them and ofcourse the Prophet Mohammad(pbuh) did so as well but it must be understood as to what is being confirmed. It is being confirmed that previously revelations were sent down but we are told in the Qur'an itself that these have been corrupted by the hands of men and, thus, do not represent the original message which was given to the respective messenger. Just wanted to make that clear.
Thus, one must understand that there has always been ONE God and ONE religion. Throughout time, the basic message has remained the same: There is only one God; Worship Him, not His creation. Worship in essence is to do what our Master (i.e. God) tells us through His messenger which again leads us back to the very meaning of the word ISLAM. Throughout time, the governing laws changed (or not) as was deemed by God to be most suitable to the nation/tribe to which a particular messenger was sent. I have often been asked about where does the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) fit in all of this? Now, I hope this question has been answered by pointing out that he is the final messenger and the Seal of the Prophets and that Islam as was revealed to him is the pinnacle of this divinely revealed religion which is universal as it is for all of humankind. The ONE God we understand as the Creator,the Cherisher and Sustainer & now (hopefully) it is understood that the ONE religion is the religion of submission to the Will of that ONE God.
There is always more to say but I hope that in what has been said, it gave those who read it, an insight into what we believe and it has bettered thier understanding of us.
And Allah knows best.

Quid Est Veritas said:
h| Quid Est Veritas,
I believe i know the verses you are referring to. The general concept i have tried to explain in my previous post. Let me make those verses clear which i beleive you must have read and 'Friend' mentioned one of them though i think the meaning was not clearly expounded upon.
What you refer to in your question is mentioned in two similar verses in the Qur’an:
Verily, those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.[Qur’an, 2:62]
Surely, those who believe, those who are the Jews and the Sabians and the Christians – whosoever believed in Allah and the Last Day, and worked righteousness, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. [Qur’an, 5:69]
In order to understand these verses correctly, we need to refer to the scholars of Tafseer (Qur’anic commentary). The great Imaam Ismaa’eel ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) said in his tafseer of 2:62:
“Allah, may He be exalted, points out that whoever of the previous nations did well and was obedient, will have a good reward, and this will be the case for everyone who follows the Unlettered Prophet [Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)] until the Hour comes – he will have eternal happiness, and they will not fear what they are going to face, nor will they grieve for what they have left behind. As Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘No doubt! Verily, the awliya’ of Allah [i.e., those who believe in the Oneness of Allah and fear Allah much, and love Allah much], no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.’ [Qur’an, 10:62]. And Allah tells us what the angels say to the believers at the time of death (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily, those who say, “Our Lord is Allah,” then they istaqaamu [stood straight, i.e., truly followed Islam], on them the angels will descend (at the time of their death) (saying): “Fear not, nor grieve! But receive the glad tidings of Paradise which you have been promised!”’ [Qur’an, 41:30]
Sheikh Salih Munajjid further explains that:
The verse (interpretation of the meaning), “And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers” [Qur’an, 3:85] is a statement that Allah will not accept any way or deed from anyone, after sending His Final Messenger, except those that are in accordance with the laws of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). Prior to this, however, anyone who followed the Prophet of his own time was on the Straight Path of salvation. So the Jews were those who followed Moosa [Moses] (peace be upon him) and referred to the Tawraat for judgment at that time. When Allah sent ‘Eesa [Jesus](peace be upon him), the Children of Israel were obliged to follow him and obey him. When Allah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), as the Final Prophet and a Messenger to all the children of Adam, all of mankind was obliged to believe in him and obey him, and refrain from what he prohibited. Those who did so are the true believers. The ummah (nation) of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) are called the believers because of their deep eemaan [faith] and conviction, and because they believe in all the past Prophets and in the prophesied events that are yet to come.”
Commenting on 5:69, Ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
“What is meant is that every group believed in Allah and the Last Day, which is the appointed Day of Reckoning, and did righteous deeds. But after Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was sent to both mankind and the jinn, true belief can only be in accordance with the way of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). Whoever follows his way will not fear the future or grieve for what they leave behind.
You can read the tafseer by Ibn Katheer online in English at:
http://www.tafsir.com/Default.asp
Hope this helps.
and Allah knows best.

Friend, would you agree with Thipps' post and interpretation of these passages? And are there any others who would mind posting a differing or affirming viewpoint?

Also, both Friend and Thipps, thank you for the answers you have already provided. They were very informative and helpful in my studies.

Salaamu Alyckum all

Quid Est Veritas ,Actually what I mean by my previous post was :
- All of Heavenly religions was Islam as mentioned in Al Quraan , No differences between the Original religions because they are from the same source (Allah).
These verses from Al Quraan explained that all Allah religions is Islam :

“And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Apostle may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to God! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help! “ 22:78

“Then will God say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold ! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.'” 110:5

“And behold! I inspired the disciples to have faith in Me and Mine Apostle: they said, 'We have faith, and do thou bear witness that we bow to God as Muslims'".111:5

“We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to God in Islam)."10:90

“Those to whom We sent the Book before this,- they do believe in this (revelation)”

“And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe therein, for it is the Truth from our Lord: indeed we have been Muslims (bowing to God's Will) from before this.” 28:{52-53}

- In Islam the reference points we all would be Judged in is what we believe and what we done not the name of our religion (we all Muslims to Allah ), maybe I'm Christin and I believe that their is no God but Allah and believe in all prophet including Mohameed and I believe in his holy books ......, so actually I'm in the truth way (Islam ) .at the same time maybe I'm muslim and I believe that I must sanctify something which make me nearer to Allah and I didn't believe in the last day , in this case I'm Muslim in name but actually I'm not Muslim .

Quraan sent from Allah to explain the right way to communicate with your God , you can forget the name of the religion” Islam “ because Quraan not sent to Muslims only but to all mankinds , and the only thing which is important that we have a reality of the existence of Allah , and his messages and you can imagine that you have a friend who sent to you many messages some of them you can see and some of them you can read . you can read all of his messages to know him will , Just remember the historical arrangement of these messages .
What I mean here ,As The message of Islam is the last message from Allah so all the previous messages was included and covered in this message , and any deviations in the previous messages must be corrected and explained in it .

Are their any differences between my reply and Thipps reply? ,I doesn't think so , if you misunderstand me ,I'm apologize because I didn't present my idea will .

Thanks

Assalaamu Alaikum,
It recently came to my attention that a certain hadith which i assumed to be authentic is actually not. I specifically mentioned this hadith in one of my posts here. So, i thought this to be the best place to put the info as it becomes my duty to inform where I have misinformed. Although it does not affect what was said in any big way, but it is still necessary to put out the correct information.
I mentioned in one of my posts that:
'There were more than 1,24,000 Messengers sent on the face of the earth.' [Related in Musnad Ahmed]
This is not authentic. We do not know the exact number of prophets.
Relevant to the above as well as to the discussion where this hadith was mentioned, please consider the follow part of a verse from the Quran:
“We had sent Messengers before you. There are some whose story We have related to you and some whose story We have not related to you...” [Sûrah Ghâfir (40): 78]
And Allah knows best.

So Islam Recognizes Some of the people in the Bible... So what is Islams relationship to the Jews? Why do yall fight so much (Their is a bible verse that answers this... But I'd like to know what the Quran says), And Also I know Islam Recognizes Jesus as a Prophet.... But what of the Sciptures that says he is the Son of God? And of the adoption to become sons of God?

Can you give me the verses that say that .

AAnd everyone who didint know about islam will go to heaven , and if a jew or christian died befour islam he will be judged by the book he followed , so i hope that answers your question, but i want the verses your talking about. fromt he Qu'Ran.

actually the Scipture about him being son of God is out of the new Testament, also the adoptions.... But I guess I was woundering what the Quran says about this. If you would like I could share those out of the new testament? But being that this is a muslim thread I'll let you decide if I can share those or not.

Ohhhh and You didnt answer the other question as to Why does Islam and jews fight so much... Or why do I hear of Islam wanting to Kil all the jews. Is this just propaganda by jehadist, or Media, or is this actually a true saying? Forgive my spelling.:eek:

Greetings to All.

I’ve not been here long and have not had time to look through all the threads therefore excuse me if this has already been covered.
So far this thread has talked about Abrahamic (sp?) religions, I’d be grateful if the good people on these boards that follow Islam could extend this discussion to Hinduism/Buddhism/Taoism (ect) and Islam’s attitude to these faiths as guided by the Qu’ran.

Or maybe refer me to a thread that already addresses this issue?

Peace to you all.

AbdAlRahman said:
And everyone who didint know about islam will go to heaven
Salaam,
this is not correct as far as i know.
A person who has never heard of Islam or the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and who has never heard the message in its correct and true form, will not be punished by Allaah if he dies in a state of kufr (disbelief). If it were asked what his fate will be, the answer will be that Allaah will test him on the Day of Resurrection: if he obeys, he will enter Paradise and if he disobeys he will enter Hell. The evidence (daleel) for this is the hadeeth of al-Aswad ibn Saree’, who reported that the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are four (who will protest) to Allaah on the Day of Resurrection: the deaf man who never heard anything, the insane man, the very old man, and the man who died during the fatrah (the interval between the time of ‘Eesaa (Jesus, upon whom be peace) and the time of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)). The deaf man will say, ‘O Lord, Islam came but I never heard anything.’ The insane man will say, ‘O Lord, Islam came but the children ran after me and threw stones at me.’ The very old man will say, ‘O Lord, Islam came but I did not understand anything.’ The man who died during the fatrah will say, ‘O Lord, no Messenger from You came to me.’ He will accept their promises of obedience, then word will be sent to them to enter the Fire. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, if they enter it, it will be cool and safe for them.”
According to another report, he said: “Whoever enters it, it will be cool and safe for him, and whoever does not enter it will be dragged to it.” [The hadeeth was reported by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Hibbaan, and deemed saheeh by al-Albaani, Saheeh al-Jaami’, 881].
Everyone who hears the message of Islam in a sound and correct form (and rejects it), will have evidence aginst him. Whoever dies without having heard the message, or having heard it in a distorted form, then his case is in the hands of Allaah. Allaah knows best about His creation, and He will never treat anyone unfairly. And Allaah is All-Seer of His slaves.

Greetings thipps

thank you for the reply, most interesting and has given me much to ponder. In light of what you have said above could you (or anyboy else) comment on this quote from The Qu'ran in relation to other faiths.

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

"109.1": Say: O unbelievers!

"109.2": I do not serve that which you serve,

"109.3": Nor do you serve Him Whom I serve:

"109.4": Nor am I going to serve that which you serve,

"109.5": Nor are you going to serve Him Whom I serve:

"109.6": You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion.

This seems to condradict your statement above, or does it?

Peace to you all.

Salaam/Peace to you.

I think Islam is very much inclusivistic (I hope I used correct English vocabulary here!) as long as the belief a person has is in One God only.

Islam teaches that it started with Abraham pbuh (not with Muhammad savs as many non-Muslims believe). This is because Abraham had a firm monotheistic belief and God calls the prophet His friend.

Islam confirms the previous revelations and one of the tenets of islamic beliefs is that a believer must believe in the previous Revelations and the earlier Prophets pbuh.

The Christians and Jews ( People of the Book, as The Noble Qur'an states) who believe in God and Oness of God are believers, the submitters (a submitter in arabic is called Muslim). Islam recognizes these early Muslims who at their time had no knowledge of Qur'an, but had the Noble Bible and followed its laws/teachings.

All people who believe in One God only, who do NOT associate partners to God (children, wife/husband, mother, etc) are believers and God Almighty in the Qur'an promises great rewards for them. All those who believe in more than One God, who worship graven images, believe that God has associates in His Absolute Power, are not considered believers in Islam.

So, Islam actually teaches that one can be a believer, yet be a Jew and a Christian.

Redindica,

In regards to the verses that you quote from the Noble Qur'an that pretty much state: "you have your religion, keep it, and I have mine, I'll keep it,". These verses were revealed to Muhammad pbuh due to the pressures from the pagan Meccans that he endured. First, God Almighty tried to have Islam's message being sent in a peaceful manner as a sign of grace. By these verses one can clearly see that God Almighty did not command the Prophet Muhammad pbuh to force people into true faith, but rather to have them understand that one should worship freely how she/he wants to.
Of course, once the Meccans started torturing the first Muslims God Almighty commanded war against them and as a self defense for Muslims. Muslims did not start military jihad until their freedom of faith/belief was attacked.

Hi Amica

thank you for the reply and the explination for that verse. However you do not address the issue of Islams attitude to other non Abrahamic faiths. and my first post seems to have been ignored on this thread. just to re quote myself : -

So far this thread has talked about Abrahamic (sp?) religions, I’d be grateful if the good people on these boards that follow Islam could extend this discussion to Hinduism/Buddhism/Taoism (ect) and Islam’s attitude to these faiths as guided by the Qu’ran.

Or maybe refer me to a thread that already addresses this issue?

Could you answer this maybe?

Peace

redindica said:
Hi Amica

thank you for the reply and the explination for that verse. However you do not address the issue of Islams attitude to other non Abrahamic faiths. and my first post seems to have been ignored on this thread. just to re quote myself : -

Could you answer this maybe?

Peace

Hi Redindica,

I think Amica's post #15 answers this question.

Quid Est Veritas said:

What a wonderful thread you started Quid Est Veritas .... I saw several posters ask about other "ways" or "paths" and whether or not those would be included as well. This makes me think about the last pope of the catholic church who said one doesn't have to be catholic to go to heaven .... he was the first in a long line that seem to come to the realization that salvation or reaching heaven/paradise wasn't the property of any one religion, tradition, or "way" .... there are many paths to the mountaintop and when we reach the top we all see the same moon .... I am happy to see these references from the Qu'ran (even if there are different interpretations about what they mean) because I see them as showing that perhaps there is a broader understanding that we have all lost in time .... whether it is God, the great spirit, the great mystery, or the place or name that cannot be uttered .... all paths will take us to the mountaintop when we seek their inner meanings ....I think it is not only all religions that will lead us to salvation or enlightnment, it is also all ancient traditions and ways of the spirit .... just my thoughts to share .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

A relevant Qur'anic verse:
Truly the Religion with Allaah is Islam [Qur'an, 3:19]

A relevant hadith:
From Abdullah ibn Masood(may Allaah be pleased with him) who said, " The Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) drew a line for us, then he said, 'This is the Path of Allaah.' Then he drew lines from its right and its left, then he said, 'These are scattered lines, upon each of them is a devil calling to it' Then he read,

"And verily this is My Straight Path, so follow it and do not follow the other paths because they will separate you from His Path." (Qur'an, 6:153)

[Authentic: Related by an-Nisaa'ee(no. 184) and Ahmad (1/435) and this wording is by him. Others also related it. It was authenticated by Sh. Saleem al-Hilaalee in Basaa'ir Dhush-Sharaf (pp. 82)]

so, there is no room for a multi-lane highway or getting to the top of the mountain from different paths.

Back