Prayer

KnightoftheRose

Reaction score
Ok, I have a personal question for everyone.

How do you pray? Do you clasp your hands, close your eyes, etc? Are your prayers formal or informal? Do you have a special time of day during which you pray? Also, what emotion or sensation do you experience during prayer? And last, has God ever responded back to you during prayer, either directly or indirectly?

Personally, I just pray informally (I usually start off with the Lord's Prayer, but from there it always becomes more of a friendly chat than anything), hands unclasped, eyes open, laying down or pacing about. I almost always pray after waking and before sleeping, and whenever I go for a stroll alone I will pray. I do experience one peculiar sensation when praying – I always seem to shiver. Not the bad “I’m freezing” kind of shiver – its more of a shiver-of-delight thing. So far, God hasn’t responded directly to my prayers, and to be honest, I don’t really demand that he does. I think its probably best that God keeps my faith on its toes. ;)

[font=&quot]So, anways, now its your turn to share your praying experiences and practices![/font]

I talk to God on my way to work. I talk to God while working through a crisis. I ask intervention when I see an accident. If I stop to help at an accident scene, I ask that I don't mess up. When an animal of ours dies, I thank God for the time we had together.

Sometimes I say the Rosary, just because I feel drawn to, but not often (I think it is more for my mother's sake).
I rarely get formal in my "prayers" though I know them well. I apologize quickly when I use God and damn together in a fit of irritation (I do that alot).

I know more cuss words than I do proper English, and we discuss that issue...and I know saying "go to hell" is not a wise thing to say to anyone, not for the sayer, nor the recipient...it's a curse not to be taken lightly.

I use "YES LORD" with a pump of the fist, when something important happens perfectly.

Sometimes I talk to God out loud (in my own house), and my wife will say "who are you talking to?" I did not know any family was around...

"God, who do you think?"

"oh...OK."

One time (and only one time) she asked me if God actually answered me...the next day we got our house, it was an impossible dream..."yes, I said." She never has questioned me again. :D

Now she just walks away with a funny grin.

When I walk into a church (any church), I reach for the water bowl that may or may not be there, and I bend my knee before sitting. I know who I am in the thick of life...and I am grateful.

See, I'd be the perfect gateman to Heaven. :D

v/r

Q

Hmm prayer.. There are so many ways that I pray. I pray in a quiet room and I converse with my Father... I pray when Im unsure of something.. I pray when Im so sad I cannot speak the words and through my groanings the Spirit prays for me as is promised in the bible. I pray for wisdom. I pray for patience. I pray praises to him when I dont want to... I do it when something goes so right. I pray when I read something in the bible that speaks to me and I thank him for showing me that jewel. I pray when Im angry... thats the hardest. I pray for my brothers and sisters in Christ.. I pray for unbelievers that they might be shown the Truth. I pray about everything... Oh yes I pray when a Sin Ive committed has been revealed to me. Sometimes I just talk to him about daily things.. Its defining your personal relationship with God when you talk to him.. it strenghtens your spiritual ear also. Thank you for this thread.. It made me happy to think about when I pray :)

I apologize quickly when I use God and damn together in a fit of irritation (I do that alot).
Oh Q do I know that feeling so very well, its amazing how fast I can stop everything for a quick Im sorry no matter is going on around me.

I talk to God on a very informal basis and it can be anywhere at any given time. I talk to him about everything the good, the bad the things that concern me and the things that bring me great joy. I seem to spend quite a bit of time praying right in front of this computer when I read these forums :p . Our talks range from the mundane everyday things, to the sad and happy things and there have also been a few wholesale bitch sessions and he has sent me a wake up call on occasion to remind me just who should be doing the bitching.
Only set time I pray everyday is just before sleep when I specifically pray for my little ones and for him to watch over my baby and her young ones that night till they are with me and I can help him with that.

Greetings Everyone:)

I want to say to KnightoftheRose thankyou for starting it:) . I feel it is one of the most important topics here at CR in respect to a good life that gives us victory and helps us to overcome. There is so much to learn about praying and I learn more and become stronger every time I pray.
I have enjoyed reading everyones understanding and shared experience. I am looking forward to a very nice discussion. The truth is, I need a day or two in prayer before I post on it.
For now I will just leave this.

Prayer is the key to heaven
But faith unlocks the door
Prayer without faith
Is like an anchor without an oar.
It is no secret what God can do, what He has done for others He will do the same for you and Nothing is impossible when you trust in God.

There is so much to learn about praying and I learn more and become stronger every time I pray.
That sentence really expressed what I've been feeling lately.

A couple years ago, I fell away from my Christian faith. I turned to Neo-Paganism, and, in short, all became dark. Just this past year or so I've returned to my Christian roots, and since then, I've been taking little baby steps towards reestablishing my relationship with my Lord. Prayer came slow and difficult at first, and I felt as though I were being ignored. I felt unloved. Recently, however, I've come to experience such...happiness, and strength, in prayer. Prayer has really become the foundation of my day. To be honest, I don't know how I ever went without it.

Thank you for that post, Bandit. It really helped me recognize the effects prayer was having upon me.

Psalms 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand.

Psalms 118:13-18You pushed me violently, that I might fall, But the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation. The voice of rejoicing and salvation Is in the tents of the righteous; The right hand of the Lord does valiantly. The right hand of the Lord is exalted; The right hand of the Lord does valiantly. I shall not die, but live, And declare the works of the Lord. The Lord has chastened me severely, But He has not given me over to death.

Psalms 145-14 The Lord upholds all who fall, And raises up all who are bowed down.

I have been where you are many times KotR. Its amazing that he never allows us to fall fatally.. IT seems when we are right at the precipice he calls us back to him. Thank you for your testimony of Faith :)

I pray when mowing the grass, driving, sitting on the porch in the summer. I have prayed in the gardens and swimming pool too. I pray often to feel the presence of God. Sometimes I clasp my hands or raise my arms in surrender.
I have stopped to pray often at work also.

At church we kneel and dismiss ourselves on our knees in a short prayer. We have silent prayer at the start of the service. Prayer requests are taken and everyone prays out loud in the middle of the service. Sometimes there is an altar prayer service where everyone gathers and seeks God together. There have also been prayer chains with fasting. A 7 day period where the saints will go to the church for one hour and pray. The other saints have there hour to meet and relieve each other, keeping a chain of prayer going 24 hours for certain needs to be met.

God is a spirit. I think we learn to speak to Him in prayer with our spirit and not just our lips and brains and eyeballs. I do believe he wants us to pray and this is one of the best ways we get to know Him. It is like the time we speak to Him and he hears us. Different form when He would speak to us in spirit or through the washing of the Word (reading the bible).

;) Eph.6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

I like that Q and Dor have a certain time to pray. I dont have one yet, but maybe we are supposed to.
I hear you Faithful on my knees groaning in the spirit with words that cannot be uttered. That is a time when tears are a wonderful thing:)
Knight, it is like baby steps all the way and the steps get a little bigger over time. The beautiful thing about trying other ways, is when we come back to God, he picks us up right where we left off and we do not have to start over.
I think the Lords Prayer is a perfect outline for us.

We have over 500 scriptures in the bible on prayer. This is why I feel it is so important for us.
I end all my prayers in Jesus name, or in the name of Jesus, because I believe he is the intercessor of our prayers.

Colosians 3:17
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, :) giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Hebrews5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

I hope to have more discussion on this in a few days.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread :)

An inmature young husband (me) once asked his new bride (my wife) how to deal with lusting over women. I had no fear in asking this. My wife is a gift from God and always a source of wisdom for me.
By now you are wondering what this has to do with prayer let me continue.

Without missing a beat she told me to pray for the women I was lusting after ask God to bless and keep them etc. etc. etc.
Now let me tell you men it is very hard to pray and lust at the same time one will win over the other. My wife is a treasure indeed
Prayer is our chance to exercise our faith we build strength at this time and often find touchable holdable real answers to our prayers.

My prayers with others I try to make understandable and simple in the fashion Jesus taught us to pray.
I pray to the Father in the name of Jesus.
I pray with anyone at anytime I am asked. I try not to force myself on others but always try to offer prayer as an answer to lifes problems big or small.
I always pray for those that hurt me.
I would like to mention here that heaping coals of fire is a blessing not a curse in old culture Young men of good standing would be picked out by a village to bring the coals to start morning fires (heap them on his head) He was often rewarded and the chore was one every youngman liked because of its rewards
I pray with my children but also incourage them to reach out to God on their own.
I pray with my wife In our hardest times and what you might call arguements prayer has been away to cool off tempers and ask for divine help to settle our diferences.
I would hate to think of what my life would be like if I was not able to hold her hand and come before God thanking Him for the blessings in my life.

I have never heard anything other than a still small voice inside me as far as God speaking to me.
I would love to tell you how many prayers I have had answered in my life but I am afraid the list would be to long to post. I would like to share a couple though.
Prayer: with elders of church over daughters epilepsy
Situation Watching our youngest girl drop to the floor and have convulsions was hard just barely walking she started having seizures Doctors couldnt tell us why. In church one day watching a film she had a seizure the elders of the church asked to pray over her . In a very calm simple way she was anointed and we asked God to fulfill His word if it be His will.
Answer: From that day 9 seizure free years praise God. As of right now they are back she this year started having them again at 13yrs of age. I still am very thankful for the peace of the 9 yrs she went without them. I am also thankful that we know she has them now and did not discover their recurence at age 16 while driving. I still pray about this and dont understand all the reasons why but I have faith God knows and I trust Him.

Prayer: with wife God we are in need I havent been working and am 185 dollars short on getting the electric turned on in our new home
Situation : Had been off work emergency surgery appendectomy signed closing papers on house while in hospital did not realize deposit would be needed for new electric company.
Answer: A fellow worker had been at church that night and told them about my surgery. He had no clue as to my needs other than knowing I had been out of work for 2 weeks. He knocked on the door that night and handed me a check for $185.00 just the amount needed for the deposit. I cried like a baby I knew God heard my exact need. When all my friends came and moved our family because I couldnt lift anything over a milk jug I also felt blessed and knew God heard.

I wish I was devoted enough to pray at a certain time and in a certain way in a certian direction I respect that really I do.
I am not much on Big public showings of prayer the ones that say look at me I am a Christian. I am often asked to lead public prayer I do but never feel the same closeness as I do when I come in private.

With every prayer I say I feel closer to God.
I also believe in fasting with prayer in private. Good way for answers and mind purification and also to rid yourself of stress.

On a funny note I knew an old preacher he was coming out to my house to visit he used to scare me praying while driving he always closed his eyes which inspired me to start saying my own prayer along with him.
Anyway on the day he was coming out there was an eclipse it got rather dim outside and then of course went back to a nice sunny day.
He got to my house shortly after and told me " On the way out I was loosing my vision. I knew I was everything was going dark I just started praying and asking God to restore my sight and when I opened my eyes I was healed. PRAISE GOD"
I never told him about the eclipse didnt have the heart to :)
I now realise on that day God moved heaven and earth for him to feel a miracle. Who am I to say otherwise? :D

God is kind, your wife is loving and wise, and life stinks sometimes. You on the other hand are smart. God blesses that too. ;)

v/r

Q

Here is an example of a prayer I prayed recently.

Heavenly Father. You are so awesome.. You are glorious in all your ways. Lord I ask that you help me in my times of need. Lord Jesus I ask that you cast a hedge of protection around -- because I feel this person is dabbling in demons and doesnt realize it because we know that satan is the father of lies and appears to many as an angel of light and his minions as beings of righteousness. You said that darkness cannot comprehend the light and Jesus you ARE the light! Lord I ask that you also protect me and mine from attacks of the dark one because we are your children and we are covered by the blood of the Lamb. Thank you that your mercy and grace cover us in abundance and that your dealings with us are not in what we do... you do not punish us according to our sins. Your love is so much that you can forgive us despite our sins because you will not allow them to interfere with your love for us. You are worthy of praise..Thank you in Jesus' precious name.. Amen.

Also, what emotion or sensation do you experience during prayer?
I want to touch on this one for just a minute. Joy unspeakable is one of my answers.
I think those warm fuzzies and sometimes warm goosebumps that penetrate the soul are also God. No man can give these feelings. However I have recieved uncountable blessings from the Lord when I hear the teaching of the bible from a good man of God but the preaching of salvation through Jesus is a different blessing altogether.
There are so many realms of God that we can enter into. He has no limit on how far we can go into Him during prayer and the bible. I feel that shekina glory, unending power and rest in Him when I pray.

On Basstians post, I enjoyed your testimony of prayer. I also was healed one time directly from the Lord through the laying on of hands by the elders. I carried lesions on one of my feet for about 2 years and when the pain was so great that I could hardly walk and the Doctors in therapy could not stop it, I finally went to God in prayer and the healing began immediately afterward and was gone in less than a week and I have never had the problem again.

I also witnessed a deaf and dumb man begin to speak during a convention at our church. There was about 10 of us who prayed with this man for about 2 hours, one of them using sign language for him during the prayers. His tongue was indeed loosed and he did begin to speak. His words were jumbled as he bagan to speak and praise came out of his mouth worshipping Jesus. His ears also began to hear and the tears flowed down his face in unending glory of God as he began to hear our voices. the man was crying in adoration saying DEDAS because his tongue had never pronounced words before and we all knew he was saying Jesus!
I will NEVER forget that and how we all rejoiced and cried and laughed together with him. this man was from another country, I cannot remember where, but it truly was the power of the Living God.

(this was not like the extremes people see on TV where you see people get zapped in the head and fall down, it was a very gentle meek yet powerful spirit during those prayers)

I do love the Lord and I thank Him for His love and mercy and His overcoming power for us.

Faithful, your prayer is one of the ways I pray too.
One prayer I prayed a week ago was in humble adoration and praise asking God to never take His sprit away from me and that I may always feel Him draw near to me and that I may draw near to Him, and surely his peace did rest on me in the moments of prayer and praise.
He is a Mighty God. When we seek Him, He is not far away.:) :) :)

I had a weird experience today...

Normally, I only have that shiver-of-delight thing I talked about earlier when I'm praying...but today, I just kept on getting that, for no reason at all! Finally I gave in and said a short prayer (it was in the middle of class), and the shivering subsided. It was kind of like the Holy Spirit was poking at me, just trying to get my attention. Other than that, nothing peculiar happened; I think God just wanted to share His company with me...

Or, maybe I'm just insane.

Either way, it felt really nice! :D

KnightoftheRose said:
I had a weird experience today...

Normally, I only have that shiver-of-delight thing I talked about earlier when I'm praying...but today, I just kept on getting that, for no reason at all! Finally I gave in and said a short prayer (it was in the middle of class), and the shivering subsided. It was kind of like the Holy Spirit was poking at me, just trying to get my attention. Other than that, nothing peculiar happened; I think God just wanted to share His company with me...

Or, maybe I'm just insane.

Either way, it felt really nice! :D
Yup. That is how it works for me too. There are many ways He wants my attention and He can flow with us like that. It does not matter where we are or what we are doing. We can meet Him half way and sometimes He meets us half way. Poking is good word, but it is more like a gentle poking.

I have some days when He stays all over me and moves up an down and through me like that. But is is always comforting and warm. Kind of like a puppy nudging, only in spirit.
Then it seems there are days where He is speaking with that still small voice (but it is not always a literal voice). So I see prayer as a form of communication of myself to Him while He listens. Then there are these other WAYS, God comunnicates to me.

shiver-of-delight thing
LOL:) I dont think we will ever have the perfect words to describe it all, but that sounds like a good one.

Prayer to God is definately a learned talk.

And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

Isaiah 65:24

"And it came to pass in those days, that He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God." (Luke 6:12 )

"in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." (Philippians 4:6)

"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers" (1 Peter 3:12)

"I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting." (1 Timothy 2:8)

Bandit said:
Kind of like a puppy nudging, only in spirit.
Then it seems there are days where He is speaking with that still small voice (but it is not always a literal voice). So I see prayer as a form of communication of myself to Him while He listens. Then there are these other WAYS, God comunnicates to me.
Then there are those days we just seem too busy or rebellious and sort of shrug off the gentle nudges or downright ignore them. Then the nudge all of a sudden feels like a 2x4 at times.:eek: It never fails to amaze me when I get those real shots like hey I been trying to tell you something why dont you listen. And it usually always happens when I am angry or upset and try to handle it without any help from him. But afterwards once Ive realized what I have done and we had good long talk comes that undescribable feelings of just getting a big hug.:D

Dor said:
Then there are those days we just seem too busy or rebellious and sort of shrug off the gentle nudges or downright ignore them. Then the nudge all of a sudden feels like a 2x4 at times.:eek: It never fails to amaze me when I get those real shots like hey I been trying to tell you something why dont you listen. And it usually always happens when I am angry or upset and try to handle it without any help from him. But afterwards once Ive realized what I have done and we had good long talk comes that undescribable feelings of just getting a big hug.:D
i can totally relate Dor. LOL a two by four or a flat tire and you are so right it usually comes when I am mad also and forgot to pray and ask Him to help with this.:eek: Smash my finger with the hammer again. Kind of like the anvil and chisel.
He is a good God. We just learn over time to seek Him and His ways through prayer.

"The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work and prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but he trembles when we pray."

there is a nice simple layout here for Daniel, who prayed three times a day and how the devil devised a plan with wicked men to get Daniel out of office with Darius.

Here Daniel prayed 3 times a day on his knees, facing Jerusalem and giving thanks. The men that set out to get Daniel in trouble were later thrown into the den of lions and eaten up while Daniel was rescued by the power of the living God. I think Daniel is a prime example of how prayer is powerful and how it delivers us from the hand of the enemy.:)
Darius kind of made a mockery of Daniel insulting him because he prayed to God and figured the Lions would make a good meal of Daniel if God did not deliver Daniel.
The presidents and princes could find no fault with Daniel, so they had to surmise and make up a petition to go against prayer to bring harm to Daniel.:(

There is a nice simple sermon on prayer here from a vacation bible school:

http://www.trinitycrc.org/sermons/dan06v10.html

Daniel Chapter 6

It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom an hundred and twenty princes, which should be over the whole kingdom;

And over these three presidents; of whom Daniel was first: that the princes might give accounts unto them, and the king should have no damage.

Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm.
set him Gen 41:41, Psa 105:21, Acts 7:10

Then the presidents and princes sought to find occasion against Daniel concerning the kingdom; but they could find none occasion nor fault; forasmuch as he was faithful, neither was there any error or fault found in him.

Then said these men, We shall not find any occasion against this Daniel, except we find it against him concerning the law of his God.

Then these presidents and princes assembled together to the king, and said thus unto him, King Darius, live for ever.

All the presidents of the kingdom, the governors, and the princes, the counsellors, and the captains, have consulted together to establish a royal statute, and to make a firm decree, that whosoever shall ask a petition of any God or man for thirty days, save of thee, O king, he shall be cast into the den of lions.

Now, O king, establish the decree, and sign the writing, that it be not changed, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which altereth not.

Wherefore king Darius signed the writing and the decree.

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
prayed Gen 24:63, Mark 1:35, Luke 5:16, Luke 6:12, Acts 10:9

Then these men assembled, and found Daniel praying and making supplication before his God.

Then they came near, and spake before the king concerning the king's decree; Hast thou not signed a decree, that every man that shall ask a petition of any God or man within thirty days, save of thee, O king, shall be cast into the den of lions? The king answered and said, The thing is true, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which altereth not.

Then answered they and said before the king, That Daniel, which is of the children of the captivity of Judah, regardeth not thee, O king, nor the decree that thou hast signed, but maketh his petition three times a day.

Then the king, when he heard these words, was sore displeased with himself, and set his heart on Daniel to deliver him: and he laboured till the going down of the sun to deliver him.

Then these men assembled unto the king, and said unto the king, Know, O king, that the law of the Medes and Persians is, That no decree nor statute which the king establisheth may be changed.

Then the king commanded, and they brought Daniel, and cast him into the den of lions. Now the king spake and said unto Daniel, Thy God whom thou servest continually, he will deliver thee.
dan6-16.jpg

And a stone was brought, and laid upon the mouth of the den; and the king sealed it with his own signet, and with the signet of his lords; that the purpose might not be changed concerning Daniel.
sealed Matt 27:66

Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him.

Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions.

And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?

Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever.

My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt.

Then was the king exceedingly glad for him, and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God.

And the king commanded, and they brought those men which had accused Daniel, and they cast them into the den of lions, them, their children, and their wives; and the lions had the mastery of them, and brake all their bones in pieces or ever they came at the bottom of the den.

Then king Darius wrote unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you.

I make a decree, That in every dominion of my kingdom men tremble and fear before the God of Daniel: for he is the living God, and stedfast for ever, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed, and his dominion shall be even unto the end.

He delivereth and rescueth, and he worketh signs and wonders in heaven and in earth, who hath delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.

So this Daniel prospered in the reign of Darius, and in the reign of Cyrus the Persian.

Bandit said:
i can totally relate Dor. LOL a two by four or a flat tire and you are so right it usually comes when I am mad also and forgot to pray and ask Him to help with this.:eek: Smash my finger with the hammer again. Kind of like the anvil and chisel.
He is a good God. We just learn over time to seek Him and His ways through prayer.
Hello Dor and Bandit,

I just listened (on my way home from work) to the story of how Father Martin Luther prayed, and it stunned me. But then when one considers Luther's astounding accomplishments I am not surprised by the power of prayer, at all.

He prayed four hours a day, using three areas for reflection and focus.

First he said the Lord's prayer, but he did not just say it, he disected each part and reflected on what it meant in his life and how it applied to each particular day. Then he considered the Ten commanments, using the same technique as above. Finally he applied the Apostle's Creed in the same fashion. I can see how he easily lost track of time while communicating with God. He also prayed in private, but spoke out loud. He said giving voice to his conversation with God was like music to God's ears.

He also taught this prayer style to a man called Peter the Barber, who has some historical significance in Germany's past (500 years ago). I'll have to research this man as well.

v/r

Q

I did a brief search on Luther and prayer. he used the 10 commandents with the Lords prayer, and like you say, disected. iT is interesting how prayer intertwines everything.
The link below has some other commentary on experience in prayer. You can check out PRAYER IS A LIFESTYLE

by Paul Grant too. :) He mentions musical prayer, observant prayer, walking prayer, warfare prayer, public prayer, written prayer... etc.

A SIMPLE WAY TO PRAY
by Martin Luther

I will tell you as best I can what I do personally when I pray. May our dear Lord grant to you and to everybody to do it better than I! Amen.

http://www.holytrinitynewrochelle.org/ASIMPLEWAYTOPRAY.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back