John :16

didymus

Reaction score
Jesus answered," My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth, there is nothing false about him."

This passage speaks to me and reiterates that our channel to God is open at all times and that we can understand Jesus' words for ourselves. We will get our own demonstration and revelation from God directly. Jesus showed us the way, the rest is between God and ourselves. He simply says, he who does God's will. I try to do God's will and i find his teachings true. This gives us authority to speak our own interpretation of God's words to us. The trick is knowing when it is your own words or the voice of God.

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but maybe i can be a sounding board.

maybe the channel you speak of is obedience and doing His will, loving his ways and commandments, trusting Him, seeking Him in spirit and in truth.
because even Jesus said, not my will but thine be done.

Jesus could also be tempted by the devil, we know that God cannot be tempted nor tempts anyone. Jesus had a will of his own outside of God,
but sought the will and the mind of the one who made him and sent him and this gave him power over the devil and through his obedience to the cross he was resurrected after the power of an endless life.

2pe 1:20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation

2ti 2:15Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2pe 3:15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;2pe 3:16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

I find myself reading these texts as a man eager to discover a new truth that has been missed somewhere down through the ages. But also wanting to heed the warnings and instruction and carefully consider what has already been established as true and faithful. I like Peters use of the word UNSTABLE He was defined as the rock only after learning what unstable was by living it.

Your statement
This gives us authority to speak our own interpretation of God's words to us.
Well I have questions about it after seeing men like Jim Jones, David Koresh and many others. I see alot of danger in this idea. There are some very simple tests to apply to interpretation that if we used would avoid results like JJ and DK.
Elders do have their place and should be listened to when it comes to interpretation. My main goal is using the scripture to prove the scripture if the idea doesnt fit the rest of the scripture than it is wrong. Most times this works well but a few cloudy things remain. Study to show thyself approved might also say Study to show your interpretation approved.

Nice thread I hope to see more input from others :D

I meant just what it says. That we have an exclusive channel to God. That our relationship with God is enough to know truth from falsehood. Jesus left the door open on that one. He said" hey c'mon in and see what I am talking about".

It's one thing to read and understand the Gospel and still acknowledge that you are going to believe whatever it is that you want to believe although the Gospel may not support that. It is something else to have what you believe and use the Gospel to support your beliefs.

dear didymus

Spot on, you have hit the nail on the head!

GOD speaks to everyone but few listen!

being love

Kim xx

didymus said:
I meant just what it says. That we have an exclusive channel to God. That our relationship with God is enough to know truth from falsehood. Jesus left the door open on that one. He said" hey c'mon in and see what I am talking about".
Reminds me of a song by the Manhattan Transfer, called "Operator"...give me information, give me Heaven, give me Jesus on the line...;)

v/r

Q

TS was that comment directed at me? I'm not sure what you meant if it was.

Back