Sons of God?

TheLovableNicola

dipping toes
Reaction score
Who were the sons of God, can anyone shed some light about this? I've heard some different names given to them, such as watchers, grigori, fallen angels and even demons. as i understand the result were the nephilim, which the great flood destroyed.

Genesis 6:2 -the sons of God saw the beautiful women of the human race and took any they wanted as their wives.

Genesis 6:4 -In those days, and even afterward, giants lived on the earth, for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with human women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes mentioned in legends of old.

and even afterward? does anyone know what that means?

I have also found some pseudographic references to these too.

The book of Enoch chapter 6: 1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2 And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.

The Book of Jubilees1 And it came to pass when the children of men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them, that the angels of God saw them on a certain year of this jubilee, that they were beautiful to look upon; and they took themselves wives of all whom they
2 chose, and they bare unto them sons and they were giants. And lawlessness increased on the earth and all flesh corrupted its way, alike men and cattle and beasts and birds and everything that walks on the earth -all of them corrupted their ways and their orders, and they began to devour each other, and lawlessness increased on the earth and every imagination of the thoughts of all men 3 (was) thus evil continually.

TheLovableNicola said:
Who were the sons of God, can anyone shed some light about this? I've heard some different names given to them, such as watchers, grigori, fallen angels and even demons. as i understand the result were the nephilim, which the great flood destroyed.

Genesis 6:2 -the sons of God saw the beautiful women of the human race and took any they wanted as their wives.

Genesis 6:4 -In those days, and even afterward, giants lived on the earth, for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with human women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes mentioned in legends of old.

and even afterward? does anyone know what that means?

I have also found some pseudographic references to these too.

The book of Enoch chapter 6: 1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2 And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.

The Book of Jubilees1 And it came to pass when the children of men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them, that the angels of God saw them on a certain year of this jubilee, that they were beautiful to look upon; and they took themselves wives of all whom they
2 chose, and they bare unto them sons and they were giants. And lawlessness increased on the earth and all flesh corrupted its way, alike men and cattle and beasts and birds and everything that walks on the earth -all of them corrupted their ways and their orders, and they began to devour each other, and lawlessness increased on the earth and every imagination of the thoughts of all men 3 (was) thus evil continually.
Hello, and welcome to CR, Nicola ;)

Based on your questions, I invite you to check out this thread located in Folklore and Mythology. Some others have been asking the same questions...

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2043

v/r

Q

IMO I have often wondered about this exact question. And then chose to stop myself.

Why is because history does tend to repeat itself. I believe God chose to wash away this era of our past by using the deluge. I myself dont want mankind to hurry into the same type of evil that was present before the flood even though I believe we will get to that point.

Curiousity Killed The Cat ;)

There are some questions better off not answered I cannot help but to think the exact details of this time period maybe that type of question.

LOL SO if anybody knows warn me so I wont read any other posts on this thread :D

It is a good question but one I can wait and ask when it is safe to.

IMO I have often wondered about this exact question. And then chose to stop myself.
I do the same thing with that study. It is a mystery and I am not sure if there is an answer. Some like to wander in imagaination and that could be in part why it is there...to test us.

I did see a real good explanation a few years ago that made perfect sense. if I come across it again, I will post it.

I opine that ignorance is not bliss. And forewarned is forearmed. If God did not want us to be aware of the "Sons of God", He would not have told us about them in scripture.

For me, I am driven to press on, explore, ask questions. I must know. Clearly the "Sons of God" in the context we are considering, were "enemies" of men. To be blunt, they "stole" our women, and corrupted our kind. If I recall, they didn't ask the daughters of man to court...they took them without second thought, as many as they pleased. They were contemptuous of Man, and womanizing to boot. And men were afraid of them.

Second. We are to fear NO ONE but God. David knew this...and used that knowledge to kill the giant.

Fear not the devil, but be wary of him. Speak not unkindly of him, but do not flatter. Do not entertain him, but put him away immediately.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I opine that ignorance is not bliss. And forewarned is forearmed. If God did not want us to be aware of the "Sons of God", He would not have told us about them in scripture.

For me, I am driven to press on, explore, ask questions. I must know. Clearly the "Sons of God" in the context we are considering, were "enemies" of men. To be blunt, they "stole" our women, and corrupted our kind. If I recall, they didn't ask the daughters of man to court...they took them without second thought, as many as they pleased. They were contemptuous of Man, and womanizing to boot. And men were afraid of them.

Second. We are to fear NO ONE but God. David knew this...and used that knowledge to kill the giant.

Fear not the devil, but be wary of him. Speak not unkindly of him, but do not flatter. Do not entertain him, but put him away immediately.

v/r

Q
Yes. But there are some very 'strange' teachings that lead to imagination out on it and that is where I am cautious. I have seen everything from Alien abduction to Zeus and people with no belly buttons. I have noticed that certain people use that to lead into a dark side of witchcraft and all kinds of things.
I think there is an answer but I have not seen it yet, except for this one study. or at least maybe I am not supposed to understand it yet.
The study I am speaking of is online and it made good sense and was in order to the rest of the bible. I think it is within the first 10 pages of a google search if you get the right words in the search. I should have bookmarked it, I think you would like it Q.

this is true and yes he did;)

Bandit said:
...The study I am speaking of is online and it made good sense and was in order to the rest of the bible. I think it is within the first 10 pages of a google search if you get the right words in the search. I should have bookmarked it, I think you would like it Q...
So...give me the words already, so that I might invoke that great oracle called Google, and find this study! :D :D :D

My philosophy is simple (and militant). Know thy enemy, know everything about him. Know how he breathes, sleeps, eats, does sanitary duty, everything. Keep friends close, and enemies even closer.

Fear nothing, but the One who made you. Be wary and respectful, but never complacent.

Other than that, I'm a pretty laid back guy...:D ;)

v/r

Q

That study you mentions i assume interprets Genesis 6 in the light of the rest of the Bible?

Do you guys think it is ok to use Apocyral, Pseudgraphical, Duetro-canonical (or whatever you call it!) material to supplement our understanding of obscure biblical verses?

Like the "Sons of God" in Genesis 6 is certainly fallen angels if you look at Enoch - the idea that the were Sethites (or Cainites?) is only an idea that developed in the 20th Century!

robocombot said:
That study you mentions i assume interprets Genesis 6 in the light of the rest of the Bible?

Do you guys think it is ok to use Apocyral, Pseudgraphical, Duetro-canonical (or whatever you call it!) material to supplement our understanding of obscure biblical verses?

Like the "Sons of God" in Genesis 6 is certainly fallen angels if you look at Enoch - the idea that the were Sethites (or Cainites?) is only an idea that developed in the 20th Century!
Yup, I do.

v/r

Q

try sons of god, daughters of men, with angels .... etc. with something else from those passages.

i cant remember. i spent like 8 hours in one day on this. then I asked my pastor and all he could really say is it is a mystery. but he said it in a way as if he knew about it, but was going to have me search it on my own either way and not give me any clues. :D and that was odd to me, because he always gives me clues. never a direct answer but clues and suggestions even when he knows the right answer.

some say it was devils who took on human form, but i have a hard time with stuff like that being accurate...it seems to mythical to be right.

robocombot said:

do you think it is something that slipped through? like was part of those other books?

Okay, I *have* to break out my notes on this tomorrow.

I said:
Okay, I *have* to break out my notes on this tomorrow.
You said it was all on a CD you were trying to find..., a little while ago, I believe...;)

v/r

Q

here is a little piece on "son of God".

In a christian context, "the son of god" is another way of saying god. This was not so in the old testament and in intertestamental judaism.

The hebrew bible designates members of the heavenly court as "sons of god" (gen 6:2, deut 32:8, pss 29:1 and 89:6), interpreted as "angels of god" in the greek septuagint translation. A little further down comes the historical king of israel of whom god declares,"I will be his father and he shall be my son"(2 sam 7:14) also in exod 4:22 every jew is designated son of god.

Jesus ben sira said in ecclesiasticus (early 2nd century bc) that only the virtuous and merciful merited this term,"be a father to the fatherless and as a husband to widows, and God shall call you son". ecclesiasticus 4:10.

book of jubilees (middle second century bc) the israelites were called "sons of the living god", if their hearts were circumcised and filled with spirit of holiness. (Jub 1:24)

Around the same time the term son of god also became designation of the awaited royal messiah.

So the term could apply to any jew, a pious jew, a historical king or the future messiah.

Quahom1 said:
You said it was all on a CD you were trying to find..., a little while ago, I believe...;)

v/r

Q
So darn busy. :)

I once did a lot of internet research on the Ishim, which led to a lot of connections within the entire sphere of the Nephilim stories. I was gathering sources and quotes, rather than claiming any conclusions. Very interesting, though.

The "sons of God" being referred to in the original post I believe have a good chance of also going under the title of "Ben Elohim" - though there are a lot of human-angelic associations and the mystics seems to become more than a little confused about them.

I have 15 minutes before picking up the kids from school/nursery, and actually only popped in here to borrow some prior coding I'd done for a current project, so won't be able to drop any information yet. However, when I do, I'm tempted to create one big information-rich page and put it on the main site as a reference piece.

Angel means messanger. Anyone who is christian should be a missionary (messenger). And we are all sons and daughters of God. Adam being the first. So, it probably means the rightous sons of God lusted after the women. Also Giants meant people who were great (king's, famous people, talented, good looking ect.) I think it may be literal as well. As Goliath was very large

faithfull said:
Angel means messanger. Anyone who is christian should be a missionary (messenger). And we are all sons and daughters of God. Adam being the first. So, it probably means the rightous sons of God lusted after the women. Also Giants meant people who were great (king's, famous people, talented, good looking ect.) I think it may be literal as well. As Goliath was very large
Interesting. So that could mean that the sons of Seth, saw the daughters of Cain, and by falling into their charms, the sons of Seth fell away from God. The resulting children then grew into tyrants, lawless, mean and deadly.

However, we still have the mystery of Goliath who stood at over nine feet tall...

Sounds very logical. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Interesting. So that could mean that the sons of Seth, saw the daughters of Cain, and by falling into their charms, the sons of Seth fell away from God. The resulting children then grew into tyrants, lawless, mean and deadly.

However, we still have the mystery of Goliath who stood at over nine feet tall...

Sounds very logical. ;)

v/r

Q
that is how i come to terms with it too.

Back