Faith or the Law ?

S

Sacredstar

I was just guided to read Galatians and it clearly states there is a choice to be made faith or the law. I would be interested in your view of this passage.

Galatians 3

Faith or Observance of the Law

1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.

2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?

3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

4 Have you suffered so much for nothing–if it really was for nothing?

5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

6 Consider Abraham: “He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.

8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”

9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written:

“Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”

12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, “The man who does these things will live by them.”

13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

The Law and the Promise

15 Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case.

16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ.

17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise.

18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

19 What, then, was the purpose of the law?

It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

20 A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not!

For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.

22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.

24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Sons of God

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,

27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

hmm...the plot thickens.....and more confirmation.

being love

Kim xx

I wholly support this and all the apostles eventually Did.

Righteousness does not come by the Law.
But see Scared if you read this right you will understand if you take it out of context you wont.

This passage when combined with chapter 2 and chapter 4 is clearly dedicated to the issue of circumcision as Paul preached to the Gentiles and never required. Peter and the Jews did for awhile.

It may be hard for you but not so for me to realize the agony and suffering that it would have taken to be justified by this Law it is one thing preforming it on an 8 day old child. But on a full grown man circumcision would have been looked more on as self mutilation. Thus making it very hard to convert new followers.
Read or even post chapter 2 and 4 give people the whole story rather than try to use this part of scripture to lead people from the truth of Gods word.
I know where you wanted this to go but this nor any other passage will lead you to that point.
Indeed the plot does thicken post the other two chapters for confirmation.:D

the answer is FAITH and LAW. not OR. James2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
here we go another attempt to do away with the law.
THE ONLY PLOT IS... YOU TAKE IT ALL OR NOTHING.

Romans3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
3:29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Dear Bandit

The heading that I wrote as come directly from the NIV bible and it clearly states "Faith or Observance of the Law?"

and Yes Basstian thank you, I did read the other chapters but was guided to post what I posted.

GOD knows better then I.

being love

kim xx

Ok so if you indeed read the other chapters than please Scared Star tell us what Law the other Two chapters and this One are speaking of.

What is the subject ? What issue was Paul addressing among the Galatians ?

Was it every single Law thou shalt not kill on down thou shalt have no other Gods before me?

Was He telling them they where free to worship Idols practice witchcraft and other things of that sort?

In your words God knows Better Than I :D

I have no doubt you were guided to read it and to post it but did you understand it? if so than explain.

Didn't Paul say in 1 Cor. 9:20-22,
" For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the jews I became as a jew, that I might win Jews, to those under the law, as under the law, that I might win those that are under the law, to those that are without the law, as without the law, that I might win those that are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

Galatians 2:14, But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, " If you being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jeus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not in the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

These guys made alot of noise about this stuff because in their day it was so vital to the religion and culture. This is why they speak so much of it.
It seems Paul could do what he wanted but chastised others for similar infractions.I don't pay alot of attention to the whole law thing. I believe in God, one God only. This God is all merciful and loving. I do acknowledge a spiritual law however, I consider the law to be reaping and sewing. What comes around goes around. This law to me is as real as the law of gravity.

At times I think Paul was a great guy and at times I think he pushed alot of people around. He took the Jesus message and put his own spin on it. Why else would Jesus' brothers have been so much at odds with him? I do like Paul's piece on faith outside of works though but James' emphasis on works is equally important. Faith wothout works is dead.

Dear Basstian

Yes of course I understood it and the message was loud and clear the message Jesus spoke to the disciples was more important then the Jewish laws, and faith in what they heard was more important then what they read which also supports what it says in the Essene Gospels, but I guess the question is where does that leave us all today?

It leaves me with faith in what I hear from Jesus above all else. It does not mean I do not honour the bible it just means that direct communion takes precedence.

didymus said:
This God is all merciful and loving. I do acknowledge a spiritual law however, I consider the law to be reaping and sewing. What comes around goes around. This law to me is as real as the law of gravity.

At times I think Paul was a great guy and at times I think he pushed alot of people around. He took the Jesus message and put his own spin on it. Why else would Jesus' brothers have been so much at odds with him? I do like Paul's piece on faith outside of works though but James' emphasis on works is equally important. Faith wothout works is dead.

Interesting Didymus yes I agree Jesus did leave his legacy to James are there any gospels by James? I will have to do a search.

I agree faith without works is like a barrel with nothing inside it. Hence once one finds the Holy Grail it overflows with GOD's love of will to good.

being love

kim xx

Paul it seems to me keeps us from being beat down with rules and regulations he didnt throw everything out the window He did make a very staunch stand against circumcision and was very much a proponant of Grace and righteousness through Christ.

He provides a balance that cannot be ignored and his works should keep anyone from over legalising Christianity.
But still didn't do away with every law but showed some of these laws connected to symbolic actions like circumcision become actions done in the heart and through adoption into the promise. This doctirne was apparently accepted in the book of Acts.
As promised in Jeremiah
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

I do admit Paul does sound kind of Braggy here like He won a battle against Peter but really men think about this issue and how important it would have been to you a middle aged man and somebody commanding this type of thing be done in order to be Christian. With the medical know how of that age. OUCHHHHHHH I shudder just thinking about it.
I would have been happy and Glad I won that battle too.

But we have to keep this book in context or at least add all of Pauls letters as a whole to get his complete view. Other wise we do the Bible as a whole a great injustice and stand in a place where we call God a Liar.

Dear Basstian

Yes I agree and I feel it also important to remember that Paul and his teachings come from the spirit of Jesus and not the walking on earth talking Jesus so this also needs to be remembered especially bearing in mind how you feel about spirits! Hugs!

Which is another reason why I stay open hearted to love.

Dear Didymus

It seems that James wrote one of the five Infant Gospels and I can understand the politcal situation at the time and why this was excluded from the cannon, nothing to do with the work more to do with the politics and the injustice done to James and the church he started in Jerusalem, as I understand it there were big battles between James and Paul.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/infancyjames.html

James who knew the truth and Paul who felt he experienced the truth.

being love

kim xx

Sometimes I think Christianity would be better called Paulinism.

didymus said:
Sometimes I think Christianity would be better called Paulinism.
Because every "flower" it touches blooms father son and holy ghost?

;) I had to do it.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Because every "flower" it touches blooms father son and holy ghost?

;) I had to do it.

v/r

Q
:D har har
father son holy ghost and PAUL.

Back