What Happened to Joseph?

Bellamente

Escaping Reality
Reaction score
As I recall, the only time I hear of Joseph's name, is when Jesus is born and somewhat in his childhood. Anyone know what happened??

From what I understand Mary had more children after the savior was born. I would assume from Joseph. Joseph was the saviors earthly father and was still in the picture when they found christ teaching in the temple.

Bellamente said:
As I recall, the only time I hear of Joseph's name, is when Jesus is born and somewhat in his childhood. Anyone know what happened??
Welcome Bellamente, to CR.

Matthew 1:18-25 (NRSV) Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.

{19} Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly.

{20a} But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream...
Joel 2:{28} Then afterward I will pour out my spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.
The implication here is that Joseph was already an older man.
{20b} and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
Luke 3:{23b} [Jesus] was the son (as was thought) of Joseph son of Heli ...

{21} She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."​
{24} When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife...​
John 1:{45} Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth."

Matthew 2:{13} Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him."

{14} Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, {15} and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet, "Out of Egypt I have called my son."
Hosea 11:1 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.​
This statement strongly implies that Joseph speaks from prophecy.
Matthew 2:{19} When Herod died, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, {20} "Get up, take the child and his mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who were seeking the child's life are dead." {21} Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother, and went to the land of Israel. {22} But when he heard that Archelaus was ruling over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And after being warned in a dream, he went away to the district of Galilee. {23} There he made his home in a town called Nazareth, so that what had been spoken through the prophets might be fulfilled, "He will be called a Nazorean."
Isaiah 11:1 A shoot shall come out from the stump of Jesse, and a branch (nazor) shall grow out of his roots.

What we do know: Joseph's father's name was either Jacob (in Matthew) or Heli (in Luke). He was a distant relative of both King David and Judah, the patriarch. He worked as a tradesman, a technon (builder). He lived in Nazareth of Galilee. His wife was Miriam and he had several children by her, including James and Jude the Bible authors. People supposed him to also be the father of Jesus Christ. He traveled once to Egypt and once to Bethlehem. And he probably died before Jesus became well known. And that is all we know about Joseph, except...
Joseph had been given supernatural insight into the situation that faced he and his wife. Now the choice had to be made - for the ways of the world, or the ways of Heaven. Reminiscent is his son's later saying,​
No one can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will be loyal to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. (Mat 6:24)
Joseph is mentioned in old and new testament quite a few times, and is pivotal in protecting Jesus from His enemies (even at such a tender age).
v/r
Q;)

Thanks for all the replys. So we are assuming that he died before Jesus' death?

Thanks for the welcome Q :)

Bellamente said:

Thanks for the welcome Q :)
Prior to Jesus "dying" on the cross, He gave his mother to another, informing him (and her) that she was his mother, and he was now her son. This would indicate that her Husband was no longer in the picture. ;)

v/r

Q

I just on assumption think Joseph and Mary had been pre-arranged marriage
the statement He had not lived with her yet kind of hints at this. There was no courtship other than in Samria (but thats a different story)
Joseph thinking of putting her away quietly shows some of his charactor. He was a forgiving and compassionate man had to have been. Otherwise he would have blew his stack and drug her through the street to be shamed or worse stoned.

This kind of hints at a gentleness that would have made for a loving and dedicated step-parent of which love becomes the binding factor rather than blood.

We dont really know how old Joseph was at the time Jesus was born but do have historical data that shows life expectancy was not very long for the average working man at this time so odds say he had passed before Jesus started His ministry.

Prior to Jesus "dying" on the cross, He gave his mother to another, informing him (and her) that she was his mother, and he was now her son.
This still happens in some cultures. A little old lady from Cambodia gave a dear friend of mine to my Mother. When she dies Seveth(my friend) will be my mothers oldest son LOL. I call Him oyie Bong (respected older brother) havent seen him in a while will be interested to see what happens when she passes. But I assure there was no joking she was serious as was he about the transaction.

This was more legal than adoption to them even though He was 35 at the time.

Bellamente said:
Ah ok, thanks. :) Also why wasn't Mary written about after his death.
In fact she we are told, was one of the first to see Jesus arisen..

v/r

Q

Basstian said:
I just on assumption think Joseph and Mary had been pre-arranged marriage
the statement He had not lived with her yet kind of hints at this. There was no courtship other than in Samria (but thats a different story)
Joseph thinking of putting her away quietly shows some of his charactor. He was a forgiving and compassionate man had to have been. Otherwise he would have blew his stack and drug her through the street to be shamed or worse stoned.

This kind of hints at a gentleness that would have made for a loving and dedicated step-parent of which love becomes the binding factor rather than blood.

We dont really know how old Joseph was at the time Jesus was born but do have historical data that shows life expectancy was not very long for the average working man at this time so odds say he had passed before Jesus started His ministry.
According to Jewish custom, the betrothed couple, though were considered married, did not live together for up to a year (maybe longer), while the husband prepared their home for them. She was to remain vigilint, because her husband could come for her at anytime, day or night. If he arrived and discovered her unfaithful, well the punishment could be rather harsh (and permanent).

Hosea does impy that Joseph was already up in years when he and Mary came together. I believe that was also common.

I can't remember where I read this, but it seems that Joseph may have died around Jesus' 18th year, just before the Bible goes silent on the next 12 years of Jesus' life. Or maybe it was near His 30th year, which began His ministry. I'll have to check on that. ;)

v/r

Q

Bellamente said:
Okay making sure. :) Just wondering, off topic but have you read the Da Vinci Code?
Yes, for a piece of fiction, I find it a fascinating read. I compare it to the "fiction" of the Left Behind series, and the Last Temptation of Christ (circa 1980).

v/r

Q;)

Quahom1 said:
Yes, for a piece of fiction, I find it a fascinating read. I compare it to the "fiction" of the Left Behind series, and the Last Temptation of Christ (circa 1980).

v/r

Q;)
Ah yes VERY fictional indeed, very interesting. I did alot a research on it, he twists stuff around. But the whole Magdalene story is interesting.

Bellamente said:
It's a long time since I've read the NT, but I seem to recall a passage I interpreted as Jesus complaining that he's only just buried his father, and yet people still demanding his attention and healing. It struck me as a very human moment, but I'm not sure what quote it may have been - or whether my memory even serves correctly.

I said:
It's a long time since I've read the NT, but I seem to recall a passage I interpreted as Jesus complaining that he's only just buried his father, and yet people still demanding his attention and healing. It struck me as a very human moment, but I'm not sure what quote it may have been - or whether my memory even serves correctly.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks :)

I think that was someone else. Jesus instructed the person to let the dead bury the dead. If he was to follow Jesus he should forget about burying his family member.

Actually I found it

Matthew 8: 21-22

There is much symbolism around death. When he said "let the dead bury the dead", I believe Jesus meant those that were not yet awake in the Holy Spirit. I don't think death was a literal description in this case.

Humm I am trying to find a similiar statement from Elijah to Elisha about the dead burying the dead I was sure I had read it.

This site every once in awhile makes you clear out the cob-webs in the old memory attic:D

Thanks didymus - could well be the one, and if so, I've certainly misinterpreted it. :)

Back