Epistles

robocombot

Disciple
Reaction score
I heard that the Orthodox Church will stand when the Gospels are read in their Church but it is OK to sit when the Epistles are being read. Revelation is not to be read in Church at all.

My questions:
  1. Why do we accept letters that were written to specific Church's (Such as Corinthians) are to apply to all of us today?
  2. Soes it not seem strange that God would inspire letters (the epistles) as His chosen form? (compare with the Old Testament stuff, there are no Epistles in there!)
  3. Did the writers of the Epistles know that what they wrote would be considered to be Gods word?
  4. Even the Gospel of Luke is addressed to a particular person, Theophilus. Why should we read it?

I dont have all the answers to this because sit or stand was not an issue for us and all the books were read and studied.

I dont think they realized it would become part of the 66 books as they wrote them. But we have scriptures that refer to each other that brings them together for example 'the prophets and apostles writings'
We are also looking at two different dispensations. From Adam to Noah I dont think they had much to read. Then Noah to Jesus and from there to us today.
It is kind of bizzare how it all happened but I love it.:)

Seems to me it all is for us today including Revelations.
I guess people can apply whatever writings they want and throw the ones they dont like away. I have chose to keep and use them all.
Not sure about Luke, that is a study all to itself.

I know they did not want Acts or Revelations included from the start, but we got it anyway and I am glad!

I find this also intriguing. If you read the epistles there are some interesting finds and statements made by Paul and the others. It was a curious addition to the gospels because they are so different from them. Personally I think they are beautifully written and very spiritual but at the same time they don't seem to fit with the rest of the Bible, maybe I shouldn't say they don't fit but rather that they stand out.

You have the gospels written by anonymous authors that convey the last years of Jesus and his mission, then all of a sudden comes Paul who didn't seem to agree with Jesus' apostles about much. As much of an impact as Paul had on the religion I wonder why there is no mention of him in the end of the gospels. The gospels all end with Jesus' appearance to certain apostles but they say nothing of Paul's vision and encounter with Jesus. Keep in mind that when gospels were written Paul was already well known by the apostles and many jews and gentiles in the area. He had already had his vision by then. So why don't the gospels mention him? This leads me to believe that his letters were accepted years later by the "church leaders" and subsequently included as part of the Bible. Those that wrote the gospels possibly didn't think Paul was important enough to include or they didn't want him in there for some other reason.

robocombot said:
im not questioning the authenticity of the New Testament, im just wondering why it is mostly in the form of letters (i.e. Epistles).
hmmm
Paul was the apostle to the gentile. what do you think?
i feel he had a deep love and concern for the things of God and he wanted the best for the body of Christ, that is why we see the letters. They were like carvings for the body from that day on. i often think Paul carried a thorn in how he persecuted and killed the early believers and some way he was determined to make it up to the Lord.
the letters were to the churches that were already established.

I think Peter was still the leader and I see it in his writings and preaching, more than I do in Paul. Paul was more of a teacher, where teacher preached.

i think it is neat.

i see the letters as encouragement and what to beware of so that the true believers are not decieved. also that we would endure persecution.
i mean we already have the OT which was History and types, these letters in the NT take us home.

Dear Robocombot

robocombot said:
[*]Why do we accept letters that were written to specific Church's (Such as Corinthians) are to apply to all of us today?

I am not sure whether you have a copy of the New International Version of the Bible but they have broken it up nicely with lots of headings which describe the content of chapters, it clearly shows that a lot of the bible was aimed at specific people, countries and church's so why should the Epistles be any different?

It we took out strictly the amount that concerns the whole world we would probably end up with just a couple of books.

being love

kim xx

I heard that the Orthodox Church will stand when the Gospels are read in their Church but it is OK to sit when the Epistles are being read. Revelation is not to be read in Church at all.

Man, Orthodox Church visits can get tiring.. Having to make the holy trinity every few words and kiss all the holy icons. Sit, stand, head down, repeat pray, and bow down. And we have to site on the opposite side to the opposite sex. We can't sit together. Then we have to go and drink wine and bread and get blessed by the priest.

I love it.. Beats the Roman catholics. :)

robocombot said:
im not questioning the authenticity of the New Testament, im just wondering why it is mostly in the form of letters (i.e. Epistles).
Hello Robo,

The churches each had their own problems then, like each church has it's own problems today. The letters addressed those problems to each church. I mean this ain't no cookie cutter religion, now is it? ;) It is a faith. and as such sometimes faith needs a boost!

What to you think?

v/r

Q

The Gospels are often very theoretical (especially John). I think these by themselves could be misunderstood. (Such as heretical beliefs like the physical world being evil)

The Epistles tell us what the Gospels mean for us on a more practical level, perhaps? They are the Gospel message being interpretated by the Apostles to the believers?

Quahom1 said:
Hello Robo,

The churches each had their own problems then, like each church has it's own problems today. The letters addressed those problems to each church. I mean this ain't no cookie cutter religion, now is it? ;) It is a faith. and as such sometimes faith needs a boost!

What to you think?

v/r

Q
yah. that is what i see often in the letters too. they were issues and concerns...almost the same basic issues today. Even when Peter and James wrote.

i am kind of looking forward to robo answering the questions soon too so I have something else to bounce off of :)

robocombot said:
i dont have an answer to my questions so im falling flat on my face :D
i hear ya. i feel the same way very often. that is why we have each other in the Lord... when we fall we can carry each other to the finish line.:)

Back