Jesus' use of spit to heal

didymus

Reaction score
Has anyone read the passages in Mark?

Mark 7: 33- 35; After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears. Then he spit and touched the man's tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, "Ephphatha!" At this, the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.

Mark 8:22- 23; They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he spit on the man's eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, " do you see anything?"

What are your takes on these healings? For sure anyone who used these methods nowadays would be branded as a heretic or worse, don't you agree?

Anybody familiar with the use of spittle to heal?

I did some brief research on the net and found that spit does have healing properties. Amazing that they knew this way back then. It appears that Jesus was not the only one to use this technique in those days.

Very interesting Didymus of course we would not be allowed to use this method today due to the mixing of bodily fluids.

But I can remember my father doing this to me when I was a child and of course parents naturally kiss children better and kissing is also healing.

Paul mentions kissing in the NIV. There was also some very interesting research done recently on the powerful effects of kissing in the healing process.

But spit sounds very Shamanic were there any other cultures mentioned in your research on spit in healing?

In the Japanese Reiki Techniques there is a method for using the fingers to heal by placing them on the tongue and in the ear.

being love

Kim xx

I haven't been able to pin it down but have read bits and pieces over the last year that state using spit to heal was a "pagan" practice. This wouldn't surprise me at all if Jesus used then what would today be considered pagan. I believe he probably did alot of stuuff like that that isn't found in the Bible due to t6he controversy it would cause.

Bella- to answer your question about what is in it, i'm not sure( if forgot already). I do remember they said high levels of proteins though.

didymus said:
I haven't been able to pin it down but have read bits and pieces over the last year that state using spit to heal was a "pagan" practice. This wouldn't surprise me at all if Jesus used then what would today be considered pagan. I believe he probably did alot of stuuff like that that isn't found in the Bible due to t6he controversy it would cause.
I agree, but many practices and traditions are based on Paganism

didymus said:
Bella- to answer your question about what is in it, i'm not sure( if forgot already). I do remember they said high levels of proteins though.

Yes he also likes to dance which was also said to be removed from the bible due to it being considered pagan and pleasurable. But yet in many ancient cultures the 'sacred dance' was a way to a mystical experience with GOD.

Stephan Hoeller as dedicated a whole chapter of his book 'Jung and the Lost Gospels' to 'The Dancing Saviour'.

I also found it interesting in another 'Lost Gospels' it mentions Jesus and colour healing which of course also originated from the Egyptian healing temples. Also a lot of the healing work he did was also in secret and alone.

blessings

kim xx

Hmmm, Jesus dancing, intresting, why not? :) 'Gnostic texts' show the more human side of Jesus, while the Bible shows the more divine side.

I think Egyptian culture had a huge influence on Jesus and the area he came from. Supposedly he lived in Egypt until he was 3 or 4 years oldand the Jews lived in Egypt for a long time before the exodus. I think it's possible Jesus returned to Egypt later in life. Just think, we don't know where he was from the age of 12 through 30 years old. That's 18 years, a huge chunk of time to be unaccounted for.

didymus said:
I think Egyptian culture had a huge influence on Jesus and the area he came from. Supposedly he lived in Egypt until he was 3 or 4 years oldand the Jews lived in Egypt for a long time before the exodus. I think it's possible Jesus returned to Egypt later in life. Just think, we don't know where he was from the age of 12 through 30 years old. That's 18 years, a huge chunk of time to be unaccounted for.
Yes, I wonder why that wasn't recorded? That 18 years of life.....:confused:

I feel it is rather foolish thinking for anyone to believe that SPIT heals the deaf, dumb and blind considering that spit does not heal blindness or a tongue that cannot talk-SPIT is around the tongue 24/7 wether it is dumb or it can speak.
I almost consider this on the lines of blaspheme for denying the power of God and interpreting that it was the spit of Jesus that heals the deaf and dumb.

These passages are not in reference to spit on an open wound to help stop bleeding or that of which a dog would do by licking a soar.
This is a typical gnostic interpretation.

Dear Didymus yes and the Egpytians call him their own and it seems that some of what is now Israel was originally Egypt before it was taken over.
In the bible it says 'he called his son out of Egypt' and Mary and Joseph always went back to Egypt when there was trouble. What do we do when we are in trouble? Or sick? We usually go home. The Infancy Gospels also speak of Mary being brought up in the temple which I understand was natural in those days. And the original cross of course is the Sacred Golden Ankh before they cut the top of which represents the divine feminine womb of creation.

It might be worth starting a thread on this on comparative or alternative forums.

Being Love

Kim xx

Sacred Golden Ankh before they cut the top of which represents the divine feminine womb of creation.

It might be worth starting a thread on this on comparative or alternative forums.

i find this talk of a divine feminine womb of creation disgusting an unbiblical.

GOD DOES NOT HAVE A WOMB. God is A spirit.

maybe you can show us all where the bible speaks of this

What Do You Call Christian About This Where This Thread Has Gone.
I Am Offended To The Core That These Topics Are Being Mingled With Christianity And That Anyone Claiming Jesus As There Saviour Would Promote Such Blatent Sin. And Yes You Are Promoting It And According To The Bible Stand In Danger Of Judgement If You Do Not Repent And Turn From These Ways.

I Can Be No Clearer Than That And Am Tired Of Sugar Coating My Posts

Brian Has Done A Great Job Of Setting Up A Comparative FORUM One WHERE You Would Offend No One With This Type Thinking.

I Stay Away From That FORUM Choosing Not To Be A Part And To Not Argue Unless It Is A Thread Where My Views Would Be Helpful And Shead Light On The Issue.

These Are Not Christian Ideas And As Such Dont Belong On This Board Anymore Than They Would Belong On The Islam Board.

Good evening all.

Though I find this thread fascinating, I am of the opinion that it is beginning to drift from Didymus' original thought. I am also concerned about the distraction introducing non biblical content can potentially cause.

Therefore I ask that we keep it grounded in Christian principles that are accepted by the majority of Christondom.

Now, my response to Did is that it appears Jesus used saliva as a tool or perhaps symbology, while performing His healing functions. As noted twice in the Gospel of Mark, it is also noted in the Gospel of John (9:1 - 9:12).

Please note, Jesus also used dirt. In creating a clay (mud) and putting it on the Blind man's eyes, the symbology I perceive is that man is blind, and by washing one's face in the pool called Siloam (which means "Sent"), the blindness of man is taken away. The pool I think represents the Word of God. It is interesting to note that prior to this, Jesus is frustrated by people who can not see or hear what they are being told of God.

Have a good night all. ;)

v/r

Q

John 11:40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
John 11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
John 11:42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
John 11:43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Jesus I believe knew what His power to heal was (NO LIMIT) But certain acts of faith had to be involved perhaps the spit the mud the dirt. Became something physical for those to believe in just enough to be healed. Like the woman that believed and touched His robe Jesus felt power go out of Him. But it was her faith that had healed her. Not her faith in the robe but her faith in the power of this crazy carpenter to heal.

Looking in His eyes seemed to be enough for some to believe. But to the blind who where lacking this sense it could have taken a little more a nudge of something to believe in. I dont recall Jesus rubbing mud on crippled legs.

I think it would be very sad to attribute this show of love to anything or anyone else other than our heavenly Fathers power and concern for our well being. Like Jesus said I thank thee Father that Thou hast heard me. Notice He said that before He raised Lazarus.

Jesus might have said "And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I spit" He could have just whispered in his ear or looked his direction or just thought I want to heal everybody in this village and it would have been done.

There is no womb of creation The Father like the Son used DIRT we are little mud pies.
And nobody for sure knows the type of cross Jesus was crucified on as several ranging from what we see t to an X to a T to even a single l could have been used each where being used at that time and it was more up to the executioner. This symbol was adopted later based on the crosses lining the roman highway when some general executed all involved in a rebellion and hung them as a warning to any other would be rebels. The fish symbol does date back to the very early church as a secret sign and is found carved in caves where Christians would hideout.
I think It would have been very offensive to associate Mary a devout Jewish woman with any symbol from egyptian religions.

Perhaps Jesus was raising energy to assist in the healing process by using spit. Perhaps the use of spit was symbolic or ritualistic, perhaps his spit had devine energy in it. Others use stones, herbs, water, meditation, prayer, soil from the earth (like mud) etc. There are many ways to recieve power from the devine, many ways to tap into and recieve Gods love or giftings or energy (this is my opinion).
I respect everyones beliefs here. I did not think Didymus or anyone else who posted on this thread means to insult another faith. Jesus was indeed amazing and people from all different faiths acknowledge that! This weak I will study Jesus' healings. Perhaps some one can give me the passages where his healings were performed.

Matthew Chapter 9

9:1 And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city.

9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

9:3 And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This [man] blasphemeth.

9:4 And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?

9:5 For whether is easier, to say, [Thy] sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

9:7 And he arose, and departed to his house.

9:8 But when the multitudes saw [it], they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

9:9 And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.

9:10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.

9:11 And when the Pharisees saw [it], they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

9:12 But when Jesus heard [that], he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

9:13 But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

9:14 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?

9:15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

9:16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.

9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

9:19 And Jesus arose, and followed him, and [so did] his disciples.

9:20 And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind [him], and touched the hem of his garment:

9:21 For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.

9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

9:23 And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the minstrels and the people making a noise,

9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

9:25 But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.

9:26 And the fame hereof went abroad into all that land.

9:27 And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, [Thou] Son of David, have mercy on us.

9:28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.

9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

9:30 And their eyes were opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See [that] no man know [it].

9:31 But they, when they were departed, spread abroad his fame in all that country.

9:32 As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil.

9:33 And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen in Israel.

9:34 But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.

9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

9:37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly [is] plenteous, but the labourers [are] few; 9:38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

Jesus did not need spit or stones or mud or aloe vera to raise energy. It was the power of the living God and a matter of faith.

Bandit Wrote "Jesus did not need spit or stones or mud or aloe vera to raise energy. It was the power of the living God and a matter of faith."

Well maybe someone should have told Jesus that, because obviously he did use spit and mud and maybe if he were around today some aloe vera or sillly puddy:) . I agree with you Bandit that he probably did not NEED those things. I do not think that they are essential for healing.
I think that tolerance of other faiths or religious practices is essential for our own spiritual growth.
The point is "how bizarre" Jesus use of spit and mud. He must have looked like a complete wacco to the people of his time. That did not stop people from worshipping him over 2000 yrs later right?

Can you imagine the reaction of some people if a man walked up to a blind man today on the street and did that?

Child of a New Day said:
Bandit Wrote "Jesus did not need spit or stones or mud or aloe vera to raise energy. It was the power of the living God and a matter of faith."

Well maybe someone should have told Jesus that, because obviously he did use spit and mud and maybe if he were around today some aloe vera or sillly puddy:) . I agree with you Bandit that he probably did not NEED those things. I do not think that they are essential for healing.
I think that tolerance of other faiths or religious practices is essential for our own spiritual growth.
The point is "how bizarre" Jesus use of spit and mud. He must have looked like a complete wacco to the people of his time. That did not stop people from worshipping him over 2000 yrs later right?

Can you imagine the reaction of some people if a man walked up to a blind man today on the street and did that?
Child of a New Day, Sometimes people need to SEE something in conjunction. All Jesus had to do is speak, "rise and be healed"
I think Q gave some very good examples of the the mud, the pool etc. as being in types and there were meanings in them , the mud and spit is not what healed these people.
Jesus did not walk around spitting on people constantly for them to recieve a miracle but i feel there was a symbol in it if he did.

You can spit in someones ear from now til the cows come home and spit is not going to make that inner ear hear.

these healings are not about SELF heal that we see on the book shelves today... or taking an oatmeal or mud bath. Neither is it about the power of positive thinking.
they were physical ailments and healings (some from birth) that no doctor or medicine could achieve.

it was during a prayer meeting that 10 of us did witness a deaf and dumb man begin to speak and to hear. I have also been healed of serious lesions on my foot that doctors could not get rid of that was through prayer of the elders and my faith in God.
An elder in our church was also healed 100% of cancer and he lived for 3 years after the doctors said he would be dead and they have no explanation, and he died a natural death.

I believe in medicine and vitamins, ointments and herbs for basic healthy living and that of surgery if needed, but what we see here with Jesus is something different. It was the power of the living God through faith.

In the book of Acts you will see it did not stop with Jesus and the power of God was given to the Apostles and the same things were performed by God through them.
However I am also leary and careful of the trends and movements today that profess these mass healings and miracles. I do not need a sign to know God is alive.

Some use a hankerchief and olive oil today but it is not the oil or the hankee.

The living God is still on the throne today and I will confess him before men. There will never be another man made like the Lord Jesus. He is the first and he is the last.

Back