Tattoos in the Bible

robocombot

Disciple
Reaction score
This verse seems to be against ritualistic tattoos - that pledge allegiance or giving honour to a pagan deity (as they did in the old days apparently):

"You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:28

This verse seems to be against pleding allegiance to the world - and its prince (the second beast):

And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and {he provides} that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, {either} the name of the beast or the number of his name. Revelation 13:17

These next 2 verses seems to use the same imagery - a mark that shows allegiance to God:

"This one will say, 'I am the LORD'S'; And that one will call on the name of Jacob; And another will write {on} his hand, 'Belonging to the LORD,' And will name Israel's name with honor. Isaiah 44:5

Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb {was} standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads. Revelation 14:1
  1. Are these all physical marks or symbolic?
  2. If so, is it to do with honouring our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit?
  3. If so, to what extent can we alter our bodies?
  4. If not, (that is, not physical marks) then what are they?
  5. Is there a spiritual aspect to tattooing (as it does seem to be amoungst some tribes etc.
Please discuss!

Gen4:14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
4:15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

Dear robocombot

robocombot said:
1. This verse seems to be against ritualistic tattoos - that pledge allegiance or giving honour to a pagan deity (as they did in the old days apparently): "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:28 This verse seems to be against pleding allegiance to the world - and its prince (the second beast):

2. And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and {he provides} that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, {either} the name of the beast or the number of his name. Revelation 13:17

These next 2 verses seems to use the same imagery - a mark that shows allegiance to God:

"This one will say, 'I am the LORD'S'; And that one will call on the name of Jacob; And another will write {on} his hand, 'Belonging to the LORD,' And will name Israel's name with honor. Isaiah 44:5

3. Then I looked, and behold, the Lamb {was} standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads. Revelation 14:1

1. 4.
  2. Are these all physical marks or symbolic?
  3. If so, is it to do with honouring our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit?
  4. If so, to what extent can we alter our bodies?
  5. Is there a spiritual aspect to tattooing (as it does seem to be amoungst some tribes etc.
Please discuss!

I respond with a Christian perspective not a strict literal biblical one, I hope you are in agreement to me sharing and expressing this panoramic view.

1. As we witness youth today people seek happiness outside of themselves, they seek to change and decorate their bodies so that they can be different but yet they have not been taught that their body is a holy shrine and precious. Mentality as not changed much for millennia due to us not empowering our youth with the truth that there are lives are a cosmic adventure. So they seek upliftment from external realities instead of realising the magic of the GOD within.

Jesus was also against cutting the body and in fact he went as far to say that if you were meant to be like that, GOD would have created you that way. On a training course last year a student picked up energy blockages around the stomach and ear/neck, the guy had a body piercing on his left brow. When the healer checked the meridian chart she was able to identify that the body piercing was blocking one of the meridians which was stopping the energy flowing through the body. Afterwards the man admitted that he had been having stomach problems.

2. I feel this is about ID cards

3. Symbolic

4. Both

5. Yes

6. Not at all in fact we are not meant to play with nature and GOD's creation at all. Just today in the UK news as been released after five years that GM crops are out due to the damage to wildlife. Yippee!

The same with blood in the bible, I know this to be true, when one as a blood transfusion one is inheriting memories from another person. So GOD and the JW's are right but we do have the means to cleanse blood of energetic memories with vibrational medicine. It clearly states in the bible that GOD gave us flowers, herbs and trees to cure all ills and this is the vibrational medicine of the 21st century but were used by the ancients millennia's ago.

7. Yes there is but my soul tells me that painting/decorating the body with flowers etc is very different to marking, cutting the body. Some painting was to create fear in opponents and of course this is against the teachings of Jesus for he taught us not to be afraid didn't he? Jesus had an important reason for teaching us to forgive and not to fear, because he knew fear like every other negative emotion can harm us and is detrimental to our temple.

Behold you are the temple of the living GOD.

Blessings in abundance

Kim xx

I try not to get involved in revelations too much. Keep in mind when revelations was written. some believe that the beast referred to was rome. when revelations was written rome was a super power that oppressed and instilled fear in many people. it was written right around the time of the destruction of the temple in jerusalem, a time of severe persecution. nor do we know who wrote this.

Sacredstar said:
Dear robocombot

I respond with a Christian perspective not a strict literal biblical one, I hope you are in agreement to me sharing and expressing this panoramic view.

1. As we witness youth today people seek happiness outside of themselves, they seek to change and decorate their bodies so that they can be different but yet they have not been taught that their body is a holy shrine and precious. Mentality as not changed much for millennia due to us not empowering our youth with the truth that there are lives are a cosmic adventure. So they seek upliftment from external realities instead of realising the magic of the GOD within.

Jesus was also against cutting the body and in fact he went as far to say that if you were meant to be like that, GOD would have created you that way. On a training course last year a student picked up energy blockages around the stomach and ear/neck, the guy had a body piercing on his left brow. When the healer checked the meridian chart she was able to identify that the body piercing was blocking one of the meridians which was stopping the energy flowing through the body. Afterwards the man admitted that he had been having stomach problems.

2. I feel this is about ID cards

3. Symbolic

4. Both

5. Yes

6. Not at all in fact we are not meant to play with nature and GOD's creation at all. Just today in the UK news as been released after five years that GM crops are out due to the damage to wildlife. Yippee!

The same with blood in the bible, I know this to be true, when one as a blood transfusion one is inheriting memories from another person. So GOD and the JW's are right but we do have the means to cleanse blood of energetic memories with vibrational medicine. It clearly states in the bible that GOD gave us flowers, herbs and trees to cure all ills and this is the vibrational medicine of the 21st century but were used by the ancients millennia's ago.

7. Yes there is but my soul tells me that painting/decorating the body with flowers etc is very different to marking, cutting the body. Some painting was to create fear in opponents and of course this is against the teachings of Jesus for he taught us not to be afraid didn't he? Jesus had an important reason for teaching us to forgive and not to fear, because he knew fear like every other negative emotion can harm us and is detrimental to our temple.

Behold you are the temple of the living GOD.

Blessings in abundance

Kim xx
Sacred, God's problem with blood was eating meat with blood still in it, or cutting a living animal and consuming the blood, or consuming the still beating heart of an animal, because the spirit of the animal was still in the blood.

He said absolutely nothing about using human blood to save a human life. In fact, He said "physician", heal thyself. I read that as "Man, learn to heal others".

God never said he had, or used magic, nor has God (biblically) said He was magical. Plus, the term "the God within" is definitely a Humanistic term, not a Christian term.

And perhaps you are right that flowers, herbs and trees are used to cure ills (since artificial blood is partly made of this stuff for example), but I'm certain you were not aware of that when you made the statement. Flowers will not save a life when the blood loss exceeds the absolute minimum for the body to maintain life (about 3-1/2 quarts/liters).

And who said we can't play with creation? God didn't. All He said was "rule wisely". Don't pick individual failures here and there and ignore the tremendous number of successes Man has accomplished in "modifying nature".

Robo's original thought was Tatooes and scarring. I'm certain that is what Robo wanted to discuss. He did not ask about cosmic anything, energies and Chi.

By doing so, you indicate a specific agenda here, which goes against what this forum is about.

If you want, create a thread about the Cosmic Christ, but place it in the Belief and Spirituality forum.

Q

Quahom1 said:
Robo's original thought was Tatooes and scarring. I'm certain that is what Robo wanted to discuss. He did not ask about cosmic anything, energies and Chi.
^TRUE^ Thanks Q.

anyway found some more verses, these seem to say piercing is fine:

"I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' "She said, 'The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.' "Then I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms, 48 and I bowed down and worshiped the LORD . I praised the LORD , the God of my master Abraham, who had led me on the right road to get the granddaughter of my master's brother for his son. Genesis 24:47-48

22 All who were willing, men and women alike, came and brought gold jewelry of all kinds: brooches, earrings, rings and ornaments. They all presented their gold as a wave offering to the LORD . Exodus 35:22

Dear Q

Quahom1 said:
1. Sacred, God's problem with blood was eating meat with blood still in it, or cutting a living animal and consuming the blood, or consuming the still beating heart of an animal, because the spirit of the animal was still in the blood.

2. He said absolutely nothing about using human blood to save a human life. In fact, He said "physician", heal thyself. I read that as "Man, learn to heal others".

3. God never said he had, or used magic, nor has God (biblically) said He was magical. Plus, the term "the God within" is definitely a Humanistic term, not a Christian term.

4. Flowers will not save a life when the blood loss exceeds the absolute minimum for the body to maintain life (about 3-1/2 quarts/liters).

5. And who said we can't play with creation? God didn't. All He said was "rule wisely". Don't pick individual failures here and there and ignore the tremendous number of successes Man has accomplished in "modifying nature".

6. Robo's original thought was Tatooes and scarring. I'm certain that is what Robo wanted to discuss. He did not ask about cosmic anything, energies and Chi. Q

1. We will have to agree to differ on the meaning of these passages. (Gen. 9:3-4; Lev. 17:13-14; Acts 15:28- 29) since God requires that we abstain from blood (Acts 21:25).

Gen: 9:5
GOD says "And for your lifeblood I will surely demand accounting.
I will demand an accounting from every animal. And each man too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

2. Well healers throughout the world recognise this term and use it frequently 'healer heal thyself'. So we wilk have to agree to differ.

3. I never said GOD used magic either I just said that we are magical people.
It states very clearly in the bible in a number of passages about the GOD within. 'Behold you are the temple of the Living GOD' Did I not tell you that Ye are GODS' and 1 Cor 3:23 and you are of Christ, and Christ is of GOD.

4. Agreed good idea to heal the root causes of disease before blood is necessary.

5. Jesus did when he said if you were meant to be circumcised GOD would have created you so. Again we will have to agree to differ.

6. Well I never mentioned Chi I was talking about the soul! But apologies for offending you and Robo.

I will leave this thread of tattoos and marks on the body. I honestly felt that body piercing came into this frame.

Love and hugs

kim xx

Gonna give you a simple reply..... use righteous judgement.

We should not do things that offend people period. Go into a young church and kids have earings piercings etc. if they are worshiping the Lord I would have no problem with their appearance. Now if it is an old midwest farm church and you know the old people are going to gasp when they see this type of thing well simple take it out and avoid the appearance of what they consider evil.
I cover my tattoo I have on my hand with a bandaid alot :) I now would not have put it there or maybe not even had got one had I known where the Lord would lead me. But I also appear to some as down to earth and not Holier than thou when wittnessing and they know I have been where they are and thus listen and open up.

Tattoos and such are cultural things acceptable in some and wrong in others they belong in the issue of Blue jeans vs Dress's but some I know will see it differently.

I believe in avoiding the appearence of evil and not offending your brother. If my tattoo offends you I will cover it. If the little ring in my ear offends you than I will take it out.

But if my tattoo provides a simple link to the place in life you are and gives me a chance to tell you of Jesus just in passing I will wear it like a bill board. same with my earring.

Sacredstar said:
Dear Q

1. We will have to agree to differ on the meaning of these passages. (Gen. 9:3-4; Lev. 17:13-14; Acts 15:28- 29) since God requires that we abstain from blood (Acts 21:25).

I will demand an accounting from every animal. And each man too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

2. Well healers throughout the world recognise this term and use it frequently 'healer heal thyself'. So we wilk have to agree to differ.

3. I never said GOD used magic either I just said that we are magical people.
It states very clearly in the bible in a number of passages about the GOD within. 'Behold you are the temple of the Living GOD' Did I not tell you that Ye are GODS' and 1 Cor 3:23 and you are of Christ, and Christ is of GOD.

4. Agreed good idea to heal the root causes of disease before blood is necessary.

5. Jesus did when he said if you were meant to be circumcised GOD would have created you so. Again we will have to agree to differ.

6. Well I never mentioned Chi I was talking about the soul! But apologies for offending you and Robo.

I will leave this thread of tattoos and marks on the body. I honestly felt that body piercing came into this frame.

Love and hugs

kim xx

LOL, I gave today...one pint (and I HATE giving blood). But I can save three lives with every pint I reluctantly give. So I guess God is going to hold me to task, since i've done it since I was 18...

v/r

Q

Basstian said:
Gonna give you a simple reply..... use righteous judgement.

We should not do things that offend people period. Go into a young church and kids have earings piercings etc. if they are worshiping the Lord I would have no problem with their appearance. Now if it is an old midwest farm church and you know the old people are going to gasp when they see this type of thing well simple take it out and avoid the appearance of what they consider evil.
I cover my tattoo I have on my hand with a bandaid alot :) I now would not have put it there or maybe not even had got one had I known where the Lord would lead me. But I also appear to some as down to earth and not Holier than thou when wittnessing and they know I have been where they are and thus listen and open up.

Tattoos and such are cultural things acceptable in some and wrong in others they belong in the issue of Blue jeans vs Dress's but some I know will see it differently.

I believe in avoiding the appearence of evil and not offending your brother. If my tattoo offends you I will cover it. If the little ring in my ear offends you than I will take it out.

But if my tattoo provides a simple link to the place in life you are and gives me a chance to tell you of Jesus just in passing I will wear it like a bill board. same with my earring.
I got 14 tatooes (all on my wife)...she hides them well.

Paul said he had the marks of Christ on his body. Where in the Bible is this? Some say he was beaten and therefore has marks of Christ, I've heard others speculate that he had tatoos. Personally I have a hard time imagining Jesus with tatoos.

didymus said:
Paul said he had the marks of Christ on his body. Where in the Bible is this? Some say he was beaten and therefore has marks of Christ, I've heard others speculate that he had tatoos. Personally I have a hard time imagining Jesus with tatoos.
yes Paul was beaten. i dont think it is worded just like that.
it is in the book of Acts

Here are some more passages Robo.
I feel it will be determined by the intent and motive of a person.
My personal conviction lines up with the bible on these concerns. I always wanted a tattoo of a cross and crown, but never did it and I am glad. A lot of people regret it later.

I think the passages we speak of there in Revelations is a little different in the way of a 'mark' on the body and I will try to get to some of that with you soon.

Genesis 35:2: "Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.
4 And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem."

Exodus 32:2-3: "And Aaron said unto them, Break off the golden earrings, which are in the ears of your wives, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring them unto me. And all the people brake off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them unto Aaron."

Isaiah 3:16 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

:17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.

:18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of [their] tinkling ornaments [about their feet], and [their] cauls, and [their] round tires like the moon,

:19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

:20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

:21 The rings, and nose jewels,

:22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,

:23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.

:24 And it shall come to pass, [that] instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; [and] burning instead of beauty.

1 Peter 3:3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

1 Peter 3:4 But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, [and] lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

these are not all my opinions, but they do a little comparison and origins as well as medical and spiritual research. Some of it is related to the bible and I am just putting it here for extra reading on the subject.

rebel.jpg

TATTOO: The Mark of Blood</I>

And

TATTOO: The Cup of Devils</I> - "Ye worship ye know not what. . ."

Then The Mark of Death</I>And THE MARK OF THE SERPENT

The Mark of Rebellion</I>( Wasn't Jesus a Rebel?)

And

TATTOO'S Deadly Little Secret</I>hepatitis B and C, tetanus, and HIV

Then

TATTOOS & THE BIBLE</I>

And finally

TATTOO: The Mark of Regret</I>

Ok, we need to back down a bit here. There are many Christians with tatooes, and I think we should get back to the original thought.

v/r

Q

Ok, we need to back down a bit here. There are many Christians with tatooes, and I think we should get back to the original thought.
I agree many WW2 vets sailors etc got tattoos as young men served their country and went on to serve God the rest of their lives. I would not incourage anyone to get a tattoo but I am not going to judge those that do whether all over the body or an anchor on the chest. One of the best preachers I ever knew had that old naked woman on his forearm. He said she was a reminder of where he was when Jesus found him.
Like always there is a line that some will cross to excess like the picture above I feel is in excess and but face it when that guy is resurected and his flesh puts on incorruptbility will those matter?
I dont think so. No matter what is written on his skin it will be what is written on his heart that will matter.

LOL Had a felon tell me not to get tattoo's as a young man because it makes you easier to catch when you commit a crime and there are wittnesses.

just so everyone knows i did not put the links up to judge or make anyone feel bad about tatoos. it was a copy and paste, so what is written in the hyper link is not what i put, it was already written that way.

sorry if anyone is offended, it was primarily for outside reading and it does show valid footnotes for the material with bible scriptures and how it all came to be.

i have a pierced ear and i know i can never change the hole in my ear.

so forgiveness is asked if anyone took it the wrong way.

I have... *counts*

on my right shoulder a tattoo of the number "17" which covers most of my arm..... 1

The opposite shoulder I have a cross I designed that also is connected to a "evil" sleeve... 3

On my wrists I have "dark" & "lotus" 5

on my lower, lower.... stomach to the right hand sign I have a fireball with my star sign (scorpio) (and M with a tail) in the middle... 6

On my back I have an inverted pentagram... 7

On the side top top of my neck I have "666" 8

on my right shoulder blade I have a swastica with a large eagle perched upon it... 9

on my heart I have a "hatchet man" and 'juggalo 4 life' tattooed above it and under it... My boys name "Lucifer" 12

on my right hand side of my chest I have an evil mysterious jack in the box... 13

on my lower back I have the tattoo of a goats head... 14

On my wedding finger I have the tatooed name of my wife... 15

on both legs I have tribal flame sleeves.... 17.... scary. I wish for no more tattoos...

I regret none of them... They show what I was, maybe what I still am, and what I will be....

piercings? My ear still has it's hole.... I used to have an eyebrow piercing but after many fights and many games of hockey... just so many times it has been pulled out.. I gave up on that... piercings ain't me... Oh and once had my lip done and also my tongue....

IF, IF I turned to being a christian... What has marked my body is there and that's it deal with it... I would be me... still what has changed on the inside isn't that what? counts... not scars on the outside. They say you are forgiven for your sins... so a murderer, he cannot undo what he has done, it's too late, but he can have forgiveness... that would be the SAME for tattoos.

One more thing... That just dawned on me... At some point or still currently each one of these has/had a deep and powerful meaning to, -ME-. Driven with passion to scar myself with something that is/was important to me.... I can't see why... god would frown down upon his faithful followers if they had such a passion they wished to rejoice and show their faith... *shruggs* Someone quoted the "classic" don't scar yourself with the dead and so on... Is jesus dead? No he's alive isn't he? So it isn't technically doing that.. ;)

LOL Had a felon tell me not to get tattoo's as a young man because it makes you easier to catch when you commit a crime and there are wittnesses.

That ain't funny... That's fact. I know my tattoos have been helpful to the law sometimes ;)

Back