Jesus adherence to Moses' law

didymus

Reaction score
Mark 1:44
Matthew 8:4
Luke 5:14

These passages discuss Jesus' healing of a leper. Jesus instructed the leper to show himself to the priest and then offer his sacrafice as Moses commanded. This is very interesting and shows Jesus' adherence to Judaism. If one isn't familiar with the Jewish law for cleansing and sacrafice it is outlined in

. Leviticus14:1-7

The Lord said to Moses, "these are the regulations for the diseased person at the time of his ceremonial cleansing, when he is brought to the priest: The priest is to go outside the camp and examine him. If the person has been healed of his infectious skin disease, the priest shall order that 2 live clean birds and some cedar wood, scarlet yarn and hyssop be brought for the one to be cleansed. Then the priest shall order that one of the birds be killed over fresh water in a clay pot. he is then to take the live bird and dip it, together with cedar wood, the scarlet yarn and the hyssop, into the blood of the bird that was killed over fresh water. Seven times he shall sprinkle the one to be cleansed of the infectious disease and pronounce him clean. Then he is to release the live bird into the open field."

There is more after this for anyone interested. This shows with alarming clarity Jesus' Jewishness. The way some talk of him you wouldn't think he would condone this type of activity but he clearly did.

LOL ok ok I admit it Jesus was a Jew.

What do you think of this verse.

Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Ro 2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts,

Ro 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Ro 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God

In comparing that to the New Covenant
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Funny I dont see a changed Law or a New Law But the Same Law written on the heart.
I often wonder where this idea Jesus Changed the Law came from I cant find anything but example after example of Him keeping the Law in its truest form.

didymus said:

These passages discuss Jesus' healing of a leper. Jesus instructed the leper to show himself to the priest and then offer his sacrafice as Moses commanded. This is very interesting and shows Jesus' adherence to Judaism. If one isn't familiar with the Jewish law for cleansing and sacrafice it is outlined in

The Lord said to Moses, "these are the regulations for the diseased person at the time of his ceremonial cleansing, when he is brought to the priest: The priest is to go outside the camp and examine him. If the person has been healed of his infectious skin disease, the priest shall order that 2 live clean birds and some cedar wood, scarlet yarn and hyssop be brought for the one to be cleansed. Then the priest shall order that one of the birds be killed over fresh water in a clay pot. he is then to take the live bird and dip it, together with cedar wood, the scarlet yarn and the hyssop, into the blood of the bird that was killed over fresh water. Seven times he shall sprinkle the one to be cleansed of the infectious disease and pronounce him clean. Then he is to release the live bird into the open field."

There is more after this for anyone interested. This shows with alarming clarity Jesus' Jewishness. The way some talk of him you wouldn't think he would condone this type of activity but he clearly did.
It should also be noted that Jesus 'time' had not yet come (to pay the price for all of us). Plus, He later decrees that he came not to do anything but fullfil the law. And you're right of course, we Christians were/are saved by a Jew, who was called the "Christ". :D

v/r

Q

Nice job answering the question.. Cant see anything to add other than the fact that Jesus healed the leper first he didnt need to follow the ceremional parts of it to be cleansed. If you read the scripture its saying that he wanted the leper to show himself to the priest under the mosaic law regarding cleansing to offer the gifts that moses commanded because he wanted the leper to be a testimony to the priests as evidence that he had been cleansed by Jesus.

Forgive me for not having citation to hand, but did not Jesus say he had not come to suspend the law and that he had nothing to say to Gentiles?

Q- what did you mean by the reply that his time hadn't come yet? Did Jesus say that his death would be the final atonement?

Faithful, read the verses I gave again. Jesus clearly told the leper not to tell anyone. He told the leper go show yourself to the priest. He didn't say don't tell anyone except the priest. So your theory that Jesus sent him to the priest as a testimony to himself does not fit with what Jesus said. I am going strictly by what Jesus said. No reading in between the lines or theorizing here.

4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

(Romans 10:4)

I think that by end of the law Paul means the conclusion or completion of the law, not the eradication of the law.

lunamoth

didymus said:
Faithful, read the verses I gave again. Jesus clearly told the leper not to tell anyone. He told the leper go show yourself to the priest. He didn't say don't tell anyone except the priest. So your theory that Jesus sent him to the priest as a testimony to himself does not fit with what Jesus said. I am going strictly by what Jesus said. No reading in between the lines or theorizing here.
Ok the verse you gave Luke 5:14

14 And he charged him to tell no man: but go, and shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing, according as Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Mar 1:44 And saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Mat 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

so seems like he said to do it for a testimony in all the ones you quoted here.

Lorin said:
Forgive me for not having citation to hand, but did not Jesus say he had not come to suspend the law and that he had nothing to say to Gentiles?

Mat 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Act 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

didymus said:
Q- what did you mean by the reply that his time hadn't come yet? Did Jesus say that his death would be the final atonement?
The prophets of scripture did. I don't leave them out.

v/r

Q

Just a couple quick questions

If God in the old testament said something would stand forever.

Would Jesus have had the authority or would he have changed it?
I personally dont like the idea of God changing or His word changing but would like to see how everybody else views it.

Basstian said:
Just a couple quick questions

If God in the old testament said something would stand forever.

Would Jesus have had the authority or would he have changed it?
I personally dont like the idea of God changing or His word changing but would like to see how everybody else views it.
Jesus has the authority, however Basstian, that would smack of contridiction and conflict within the Trinity. It would not happen. Some might say He might change little things...but it is the little things that we humans see first...;)

v/r

Q

didymus said:

Hebrews 9:10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matthew 19:18-19 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. ( also in Mark 10:19 and Luke 18:20 )

Matthew 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Judaism? I remember, the religion of the Jews = observance of sabbath! Did Christ forget the sabbath?

Let us read:

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Exodus 20:8 not mentioned in Matthew 19:18-19 , Mark 10:19 and Luke 18:20 . Why?

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

In the last week of his life, Jesus said the following:

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat. Therefore listen to them and do as they tell you , but do not do as they do."

Matt 23:1-3.

Jeannot said:
In the last week of his life, Jesus said the following:

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat. Therefore listen to them and do as they tell you , but do not do as they do."

Matt 23:1-3.

Matthew 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

What are some of these"all" which they (scribes and Pharisees) say but do not?

1. How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers. Isaiah 1:21

2. Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Isaiah 58:6

3. Amos 2:4 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have despised the law of the LORD, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused them to err, after the which their fathers have walked:

4. Amos 2:12 But ye gave the Nazarites wine to drink; and commanded the prophets, saying, Prophesy not.

5. Micah 2:7 O thou that art named the house of Jacob, is the spirit of the LORD straitened? are these his doings? do not my words do good to him that walketh uprightly?

6. Micah 3:15 Thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that make my people err, that bite with their teeth, and cry, Peace; and he that putteth not into their mouths, they even prepare war against him.

7. Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth. Habakkuk 1:4

8. Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and stablisheth a city by iniquity! Habakkuk 2:12

This no. 8 was very popular in the yesteryears. I have read in the history of the world that there was a man who built a town with blood and established a city by iniquity, lol.

Back