Can't Find this Origen Quote...

Cross_+_Flame

Wandering Methodist
Reaction score
So, on the latest issue of Newsweek there is a quote attributed to Origen of Alexandria.

It is far better to accept teachings with reason and wisdom than with mere faith.

However, I cannot find in CCEL or any of my library sources a reference for this quote. Does anyone recognize it and know where in his writings this is?

Cross_+_Flame said:
So, on the latest issue of Newsweek there is a quote attributed to Origen of Alexandria.

It is far better to accept teachings with reason and wisdom than with mere faith.

However, I cannot find in CCEL or any of my library sources a reference for this quote. Does anyone recognize it and know where in his writings this is?
Hi Cross, and welcome to CR. Your beginning of this thread seems ambiguous at best, concerning Christianity. Are you intending to tie this directly in to Christianity? If not, I believe it would be better suited in the Philosophy forum.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Hi Cross, and welcome to CR. Your beginning of this thread seems ambiguous at best, concerning Christianity. Are you intending to tie this directly in to Christianity? If not, I believe it would be better suited in the Philosophy forum.

v/r

Q
Hello Quahom1, thank you for the prompt response.

Origen is an early Christian church father (early third century CE), therefore it is intrinsically a question of historical Christianity. ;)

An index of Origen's works can be found on CCEL.org for further information (bottom of the page).

My concern is that I cannot find the above quote on any of his published works at CCEL or elsewhere, so I am concerned it is either a misattribution or a misquote. One of my own forum members brought it to my attention, so I'm trying to find an answer for him.

Hope that helps!!

Cross_+_Flame said:
Hello Quahom1, thank you for the prompt response.

Origen is an early Christian church father (early third century CE), therefore it is intrinsically a question of historical Christianity. ;)

An index of Origen's works can be found on CCEL.org for further information (bottom of the page).

My concern is that I cannot find the above quote on any of his published works at CCEL or elsewhere, so I am concerned it is either a misattribution or a misquote. One of my own forum members brought it to my attention, so I'm trying to find an answer for him.

Hope that helps!!
Definitely Christian related...:D Hope you find what your are looking for. I'm certain there are folks here who can dig up something for you...

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:

v/r

Q
As per your request...

Contra Celsum Book I Chapter XIII:

Moreover, that it is in agreement with the spirit of Christianity, of much more importance to give our assent to doctrines upon grounds of reason and wisdom than on that of faith merely, and that it was only in certain circumstances that the latter course was desired by Christianity, in order not to leave men altogether without help, is shown by that genuine disciple of Jesus, Paul, when he says: "For after that, in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."

Apparently Newsweek took artistic license to paraphrase in part...;)

v/r

Q

Excellent Q! That was great detective work...in fact, I found a section that sounded most like it in that very book (chapter IX), but I guess I shoulda kept on reading.

::: tips hat :::

Cross_+_Flame said:
Excellent Q! That was great detective work...in fact, I found a section that sounded most like it in that very book (chapter IX), but I guess I shoulda kept on reading.

::: tips hat :::
Thanks,

I think I saw what you reference in Chapter 9, however, I didn't think Newsweek would modify the wording to such an extreme. Plus you piqued my curiosity about Origen, so I kept reading...;)

v/r

Q

Back