When was Jesus born?

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
Stupid question? Not really. Jesus wasn't born on 24/25 December 0000. First off the weather patterns would be all wrong. Second, the shepards would not have been keeping their sheep as described, Third, there is no holiday (that I know of) that would have maxed out the local hotels/motels/inns in Bethelehem, at the end of December.

Also Jesus said He was the Alpha and Omega (and the Bible seems to have double meanings for every thing in it).

We also know that the birth of Jesus was not really celebrated until the missionaries mixed with the "pagans" in the north, and wanted to replace their Winterfest with Christian fest (so to speak). Same with Easter, by the way...

Not that I knock Christmas (I love it). But we decided to celibrate Jesus' birth then, but that was not when He was born...

Me thinks, Jesus was born in March. I have my reasons, but I'd like to hear what you think...

v/r

Q

I think the answer/s to your question/s maybe answered by the Vatican.. They seem to have organised the dates we have today? Would you believe Dionysus, Osiris and Hercules were also born on the 25th of December? Maybe it was a coincidence and more sincere; or the humans meant it like that?

The Christian Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas and Easter at different dates. Someone has to be wrong? Maybe both...

My answer to all this is, it really doesn't matter... As long as we celebrate. :D Because know one told us when he was born!

It was Gods will to kill off barbaric Paganism, of course it was a battle with the free will of man.

You know.. Ive never been curious about when Jesus was born which I find extremely odd since I want to know everything else :p Ive always been content with Christmas Day.

I have heard different theories; anywhere from 8bc-3bc. March is also the month believed to be when he was born.

Faithfulservant said:
You know.. Ive never been curious about when Jesus was born which I find extremely odd since I want to know everything else :p Ive always been content with Christmas Day.
Perhaps you're right Faithful. I am however, ever curious. Postmaster celebrates Christmas on the 5th of January (I presume), as do Russian Orthodox Christians.

That is older than the Christmas we celebrate. Do you see my point?

v/r

Q

Yep, well actually, the Greek people in Cyprus (not sure mainland Greece) still celebrate on the 25th of December, Greek Cypriots were under Vatican rule and took on many ways of the Italians for a bit which would include the Roman church 25th celebrations. However the Greek Orthodox Church in Cyprus celebrates on the official Orthodox date and actually many traditional people too. This are some of the arguments the Greeks and Romans had before the 2 churches split. I think the Orthodox were aware that the Romans had this idea of there past, 25th is the birth of many other pagan and multi God figures. I believe Christ was born after December. And the more west you go, the more they destroy the original Church. Orthodox in Greek mean "The right way"

Catholic means "never"

Well more food for thought for the curious:

If Jesus Christ weren't born on Dec. 25, does the Bible indicate when He was born? The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus' birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John's mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born.
24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, 25 Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men. 26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. 36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

John's father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). 5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year (The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife, Elizabeth, would have a child (Luke 1:8-13).8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 9 According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. 10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived (verses 23-24).23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house. 24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,

Assuming John's conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John's birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus' birth.

Dor said:
Well more food for thought for the curious:

If Jesus Christ weren't born on Dec. 25, does the Bible indicate when He was born? The biblical accounts point to the fall of the year as the most likely time of Jesus' birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John's mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born.
24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, 25 Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men. 26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. 28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. 36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

John's father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). 5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year (The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife, Elizabeth, would have a child (Luke 1:8-13).8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 9 According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. 10 And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived (verses 23-24).23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house. 24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,

Assuming John's conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John's birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus' birth.
Try looking at it again...you might find it six months before you thought.

But then what do I know? ;)

BTW congrats! :D

v/r

Q

Dor said:
What are you seeing that Im missing? Quit beating around the bush we've all been patient.
It seems that Jesus was born during the feast of the Tabernacle (September/October).

Since Jesus was conceived six months after John the Baptist, and we have established a likely date for John's birth, we need only move six months farther down the Jewish calendar to arrive at a likely date for the birth of Jesus. From the 15th day of the 1st month, Nisan, we go to the 15th day of the 7th month, Tishri. And what do we find on that date? It is the festival of Tabernacles! The 15th day of Tishri begins the third and last festival of the year to which all the men of Israel were to gather in Jerusalem for Temple services. Lev 23:34
In the first 200 years of Christian history, no mention is made of the calendar date of Jesus' birth. Not until the year 336 do we find the first mention of a celebration of His birth.

Why this omission? In the case of the Church fathers, the reason is that, during the three centuries after Christ's life on earth, the event considered most worthy of commemoration was the date of His death. In comparison, the date of His birth was considered insignificant. As the Encyclopedia Americana explains, "Christmas... was, according to many authorities, not celebrated in the first centuries of the Christian church, as the Christian usage in general was to celebrate the death of remarkable persons rather than their birth..." (1944 edition, "Christmas").

So it is September/October. For some reason I thought March/ April...

And what do you mean beating around the bush? I posted this question less than 12 hours ago. Have a heart will you?

v/r

Q

They may have considered his resurrection more important but his birth was for sure close second. enough so that they spoke of his being born of a virgin.

didymus said:
They may have considered his resurrection more important but his birth was for sure close second. enough so that they spoke of his being born of a virgin.
No, Did, I just tickled the counter part of one, and ticked off the other...it's ok. I'm very good at that. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Try looking at it again...you might find it six months before you thought.

But then what do I know? ;)

BTW congrats! :D

v/r

Q
there might be enough in there to figure the right month;) . I have never even thought to study it before but I know it is not on 12/25.

Q i must be daft 'cause I still don't know what the blazes you're talking about.:confused:

didymus said:
Q i must be daft 'cause I still don't know what the blazes you're talking about.:confused:
No, you're fine. I missed Dor's post, and kept posting away, then he caught my attention, and I had to pull a "d'uh", because he'd found information that pointed out the possible actual birthday of Jesus, and I missed it. ;)

v/r

Q

Ok just going to say this
Easter on the day and the way we celebrate it from the bunnies to the eggs. Christmas and trees and the day we celebrate it they all come from a god by the name of tammuz.

I think they got tied into Christianity through roman soldiers who were into mithraism and worshipped some of the very old gods from babylon.

Ezekiel 8:13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
Ezekiel 8:14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

Ezekiel 8:16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.
Ezekiel 8:17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

Now I am not sure how right this is to Christianize something rooted in false gods. But the fact is it was done.
The birth of Christ was centered around a tax decree that would have accured in the fall this and the time of Johns birth gives us a real clear idea it was well before Dec.
As far as easter and the date well you just cant convince me that passover had nothing to do with it. To me Jesus was that lamb and passover should be a VERY Christian thing.
I wonder sometimes how much impact the verses saying FLEE from idoltary had on the roman church when creating all these festivals and holidays.

Basstian said:
Ok just going to say this
Easter on the day and the way we celebrate it from the bunnies to the eggs. Christmas and trees and the day we celebrate it they all come from a god by the name of tammuz.

I think they got tied into Christianity through roman soldiers who were into mithraism and worshipped some of the very old gods from babylon.

Ezekiel 8:13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
Ezekiel 8:14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

Ezekiel 8:16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.
Ezekiel 8:17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

Now I am not sure how right this is to Christianize something rooted in false gods. But the fact is it was done.
The birth of Christ was centered around a tax decree that would have accured in the fall this and the time of Johns birth gives us a real clear idea it was well before Dec.
As far as easter and the date well you just cant convince me that passover had nothing to do with it. To me Jesus was that lamb and passover should be a VERY Christian thing.
I wonder sometimes how much impact the verses saying FLEE from idoltary had on the roman church when creating all these festivals and holidays.
How does one convince another to come to their terms, unless one understands their background and can associate or otherwise empathise with? Smart missionaries...dumm theological leadership. Should have followed through to correct the initial misnomers, but laziness prevailed (as well as absolute arrogance). The Catholic Church heiarchy was/is a perfect example of arrogant laziness ( I know, I are one, eh Catholic that is). That is why things happen, and then we wonder later why it got so out of control...

my two ceasars, er cents...

v/r

Q

Evidently Jesus was born sometime in the early autumn of the year.

Back