Alternative Christian Awakenings

Abogado del Diablo

Ferally Decent
Reaction score
There is a surprising number of non-mainstream Christians that participate in this forum (surprising to me at least). I consider myself a non-mainstream Christian, though for about ten years I was a studious born-again, evangelical. I've seen passing comments from other alternative Christians (for lack of a better term) about their own experiences but I was curious about whether you started with a dedication to a more mainstream view, and if so, which one? I would also like to share stories of how your eyes were opened to the way you experience your Christian walk now.

For myself, it was a long process (another ten years) during which I completely walked away from Christianity because I did not approve of how evangelical Christianity (in my experience) made people view and treat others. I studied mythology, anthropology, psychology, literature, law, comparative religion and history and came back with a much, much deeper understanding of the meaning of Christianity and find it infinitely more fulfilling than I did before.

What are your experiences?

BTW, I consider myself a mythologist and try to see the truth in every wisdom tradition. But if I had to put a label on the way of viewing Christianity that I prefer, I would say that I am a "Thomas Christian."

Neat topic. I'm not that surprised that there are a disproportionate number of non-mainstream Christians here, due to the nature of the board, but I am excited to have a forum where I can talk with people that have "alternative" versions of Christianity.

I was raised by a Christian mystic, and as a child I had very little influence from media, peers, or organized religion. My mother was very careful to always encourage me to experience God for myself, explore any religious texts or church I wished to go to (including non-Christian, and I explored a lot of churches!), and to shelter me from the media, which can greatly influence one's worldview. So you could say that I was encouraged to be myself first, to acknowledge my own spirituality, rather than trying to fit in with any group or belief system. The only things I was really taught was that God loved me. Though I was not taught one way or the other, I did witness my mother's devotion to God and her consistently being "not of this world" but also "the light of the world," and this profoundly affected my spirituality. My mother has the intelligence of a sage but the faith of a child, and that was always a great inspiration.

I have always been on a mystical path; I think it is just part of who I am. By the time I was two, I told people about dreams I was having of the famines in Africa and I was very upset about world hunger. This just came into my head; I was not allowed to watch the news or anything. I just knew that God would want us to fix this problem. God just always seemed to be there, and in the absence of being told I was "separated" from Him in some way, I was able to experience glimpses of God throughout my life. I can remember praying to God as far back as my earliest memories, just talking with Him as a personal being. By five, I firmly believed in the concept of multiple realities and that these were not as "separate" as most people think they are, based on visions I had. At ten, I experienced a vision-dream in which I caught a glimpse of the transcendent aspect of God, the Eternal and Infinite, which forever changed my understanding of Him. I've received visions throughout my life and all are deeply meaningful, some symbolic and some experiential; I've experienced visions of Christ, of the immanence of God in all creation, of my own non-corporeality and union with God... They started from my earliest memories and continue into the present.

I was very poor as a child, but I was always taught that God cares for all of us, and there is no shame in poverty. We are not to be attached to the things of this world, but we are to be involved in the world as Jesus was, focused on showing the love of God to others. I believe in miracles, despite being a scientist, but I think we often are called to make miracles for others. I saw God pay our bills, heal my mother when she was dying... and I've heard God's voice call to me to feed others, heal His creation, minister to others in their time of grief and pain.

Not surprisingly, I never really fit into any social groups. I'm very good at "blending in," but there is an emotional gap there that always leaves me feeling like I'm watching everyone else from outside this culture and society, if that makes any sense. As a teenager, like most, I desperately wanted to "belong" somewhere, and I took up the evangelical, born-again persona off and on for about ten years. But it always felt like a lie. I wasn't "born-again" in the sense of conscious decision as an older kid. God had always been there. I still remember having these little picture books of Jesus when I was about three, showing him healing the sick and hugging little children, and it just always was there for me. Jesus was already in my heart, tugging on my thoughts and leading me to God. I just knew Jesus was a manifestation of God, and an example of what a life lived fully for God would be. I tried and tried to convince myself into the fundamentalist doctrine, but the truth for me was that it made no sense. It felt like blasphemy against the Spirit that had guided me from my youngest days to say that God was separated from me by sin, when I myself had experienced otherwise. I was not born perfect, and yet God still reached out to me before I could learn about the Trinity or know about Jesus as a sacrifice. God did not feel wrathful, even when I felt as a child that I stood before him with all my imperfections. I felt small, but not insignificant. I felt a desire to be more, but not shame. He felt watchful. A love that was not like any human love on earth. An expectant love, a love that forgave my imperfections, but also called me to be more, to rise above them, to seek Him always.

Eventually, I gave up my attachment to belonging here on earth, to a sense of "knowing" anything, to a sense of entitlement to heaven and reunion with my loved ones. I began to get back to the heart of my spirituality- my personal walk with God. Not that I do not study scripture and religious doctrine and all, but that I truly believe that is not the heart of the matter for me. I knew God before I knew the Bible and long before I knew that people had doctrines, and His call to me was always there, unmediated by others. I felt His presence deep within me, and in all He created, and I stand in awe of His glory and love.

I guess you could say I am an "experiential" Christian, or a Christian mystic. The point of life to me is to experience a personal and deep relationship with God and to manifest the results of this in our care of others, and Jesus has long been my guide.

Wow. path of one, I'm moved by your testimony. I'm feeling a lot more but for now all I can say is wow. You are blessed.

peace,
lunamoth

path_of_one said:
Eventually, I gave up my attachment to belonging here on earth, to a sense of "knowing" anything, to a sense of entitlement to heaven and reunion with my loved ones. I began to get back to the heart of my spirituality- my personal walk with God. Not that I do not study scripture and religious doctrine and all, but that I truly believe that is not the heart of the matter for me. I knew God before I knew the Bible and long before I knew that people had doctrines, and His call to me was always there, unmediated by others. I felt His presence deep within me, and in all He created, and I stand in awe of His glory and love.

I guess you could say I am an "experiential" Christian, or a Christian mystic. The point of life to me is to experience a personal and deep relationship with God and to manifest the results of this in our care of others, and Jesus has long been my guide.
This is beautifully put. Thanks.

My story probably begins when I was about 13. My father collapsed from a heart attack while we were working in the backyard. I tried to revive him while we waited for an ambulance. The paramedics were able to get his heart started but he was out for more than eight minutes.

A little about my father. He studied to be Catholic priest for eight years in Europe. He was fluent in eight languages (and taught all of them) and had a masters degree in linguistics from St. Anselmo. He changed his mind about the priesthood just months before his final vows and returned to the United States. He taught foreign languages at a high school - Italian, French, German, and Spanish as well as classical Greek and Latin and raised six kids on a teachers salary, of which I am the youngest. He was also a collector of rare books. As a child I remember many outings to old dusty used book stores, sometimes several states away, looking for prizes on the dusty shelves. We were raised in a very loosely Catholic household. My father's break from the church was in part motivated by his feelings of having nearly been forced into a life he didn't want under pressure from his family and I think he still harbored some ill will toward the Church itself.

Anyway, after his heart attack, he retired from teaching and pretty much retired from life. He claimed not to be able to remember anything. My memories of the last five years of my father's life are of him sitting in a chair watching television. I don't think I saw him read another book. When I was about sixteen, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was surigically removed but had already metastasized and spread to his abdominal wall and spine. He died after a particularly brutal 18 month battle as cancer spread up his spine, gradually paralyzing him. It was during this time that I became a born-again, evangelical Christian under the guidance of my older sister, who was doing missionary work with Leland Paris's "Youth With A Mission" at the time (this is the same sister who adopted two Indian-Mexican children that I spoke of in the "Special Needs" thread). I became a very determined evangelical, attending and working at Church functions at least 4 days a week, working on lay witness mission trips and volunteering (and proselytizing) at the homeless shelter. I spent my last year of high school walking around with "Roman's 10:9" written across the front of my shoes!

During this whole time I was fighting a serious battle with depression, as was my mother. I barely graduated from high school with all the absences. I even flunked a class (Psychology, believe it or not). I took two years off after high school and worked at a Christian book and music store. I was giving some serious thought to going into missionary work like my older sister. However, I finally decided I needed to get a college education so I enrolled and started taking some intro level core courses. Shortly afterward, my mother died from congestive heart failure.

I became fascinated with anthropology, philosophy and history. I began to carefully evaluate my beliefs, especially the views of my religion regarding the beliefs and value of others and their traditions and began to have serious doubts. I began hearing more and more sermons that seemed to be centered around "prosperity" teachings and the teachings of Norman Vincent Peale, which increasingly struck me as anathema to the teachings of the Jesus I knew. I decided to scrap my beliefs and start from scratch and see what I could figure out on my own.

That was a long process but incredibly fruitful. In the meantime, I finished by B.A. degree in history and philosophy, graduating second in my class and was accepted to one of the top law schools in the States. I gradually became fascinated with comparative religion and deconstructing the mythology of world religions. I was particularly fascinated by the similarity in the underlying worldview being expressed in the myths of other cultures. I was especially guided in this process by the works of Joseph Campbell and Friedrich Nietzsche, and began fashioning my own philosophical and historical worldview. I gradually came back to Christianity and applied the methods of mythological deconstruction that I had learned studying comparative religion. To my amazement, and despite not expecting it, (and quite by accident), I found a whole new experiential aspect to Christianity that I never thought existed (and a whole new meaning to Christian writings and teachings). I became especially fascinated with the overlap of Buddhist philosophy and Christianity in the Gospel of Thomas, which has become my preferred Christian "vehicle." Though I certainly don't limit myself to one set of "scripture" for inspiration or guidance.

What I really learned is that the entire journey to and from that point was the process of finding myself, stripping away my false sense of identity and experiencing the "Mystery of Christ in me." I can't say that my mystical experiences in my journey are anywhere near as rich and varied as Path of One's have been, but there has certainly been transcendent moments and glimpses of the Love of God and our shared Oneness. My goal is to share the Love of God and see it moving in the hearts and minds of every person, no matter what language or symbols each individual may choose to express the One inexpressible Truth.

Sorry this is so rambling. I've never really sat down and written this out in one piece before. And even still it seems woefully incomplete.

Abogado del Diablo said:
What I really learned is that the entire journey to and from that point was the process of finding myself, stripping away my false sense of identity and experiencing the "Mystery of Christ in me."

My goal is to share the Love of God and see it moving in the hearts and minds of every person, no matter what language or symbols each individual may choose to express the One inexpressible Truth.
Yes... this is wonderfully stated. That is how I feel. Underneath all the different languages and symbols and names of God, there is but One Divine. We are either experiencing that Truth, or we are experiencing our own self-delusion.

I have no doubt that if I were born in a Chinese family, I would still have experienced the presence of God. Maybe I would have called it the Tao. But God would still have been there within me, calling to me. And the more I have studied the religions and cultures of the world, the more I have seen people experiencing and loving the same Being that I do. If one cuts out the names and cultural contexts and self-identifications, one is left with people all over the world united in their experience of a personal, transcendent, and immanent Being. This ongoing realization only deepens my faith in a God that I experienced as infinitely loving and understanding of our needs and limitations.

As a side note, I know what you mean about how difficult it can be to write out one's testimony like that. There's a lot to one's lifelong journey with God, and I've never tried to summarize it succinctly. It is a challenge!

lunamoth said:
Wow. path of one, I'm moved by your testimony. I'm feeling a lot more but for now all I can say is wow. You are blessed.
Thanks- I feel blessed. I've been through some very rough things in my life, but I've also witnessed all of it come to the glory of God and have realized that all my sufferings have not been in vain. They have taught me lessons I needed to learn. I don't know why God chose to walk with me the way He does, and why every person's walk with God is different. I am only sure that God's wisdom and care is infinite, and each person, if they are open to a relationship with God, will receive exactly what they need on their spiritual journey. My spirituality has brought me great joy and peace, but it has also brought me great loneliness at times. People are social creatures, and it is hard to feel like you can't really be a part of society. I always felt like I was visiting here, and homesick for the place where God dwells in unity with everyone. I am often misunderstood, and I have often faced ridicule for my path. But I would not change a thing. As one modern praise song says, "Better is one day in Your court, better is one day in Your house... than thousands elsewhere."

It seemed this thread was intended for "non-mainstream" Christians but I would like to share my story since I went from one extreme to the next and then to the next extreme..

I was brought up a Christian.. baptized a Luthern.. then attended a Baptist church. Id read the bible all the way through.. had hundreds of verses memorized.. had a fascination with bible prophecy.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer when I was 11.. I had soo much faith when I was a child that I was convinced that God would heal my dad.. well he died 12 months later. That was probably the beginning of my lapse of faith because I had a lot more faith than a mustard seed and at the age of 12 I didnt understand how God could take my daddy away from me.

Years went by.. I went in and out of depression.. my walk with the Lord flowed the same way..I started becoming interested in astrology and pretty much anything paranormal.. I started to believe that the God I knew wouldnt be judgemental and wrathful and that everybody was on the path that they needed to be to achieve God.. in their own way. I attended a seventh day adventist seminar on end times prophecy and thats when the ball dropped on me. The stuff they taught was against everything that I had been brought up believing.. they showed bible verses supporting their theology and I was scared because even in my denial of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity.. I still believed in the inerrancy of the word deep down inside. I started then to doubt my salvation.. I doubted my faith... I doubted Gods existance at all and I was terrified. In hindsight.. I know that fear is not from God.. I was under a severe spiritual attack. I then went so far away from God.. I didnt pray I didnt read the bible.. I would quickly turn the radio station from worship music. I went weeks without even thinking of God.

Years passed and one day I was driving to work and I flipped through the radio and I stopped on a station.. This mans voice that was speaking was so gentle and so full of love and light.. I had to listen.. I was compelled. It was a call in talk show called To Every Man an Answer.. during this hour long show I listened to people call in with questions that I had had my whole life and especially since my fiasco with the seventh day adventist church.. This man answered these questions using the bible.. showing me how scriptures can be taken out of context and twisted to defend any belief.. and how to use the bible for myself to find the real truth using prayer and the Holy Spirit..

I listened to this show faithfully for a few weeks.. I then started opening up my dusty bible and I started praying. Oh wow the things that were revealed to me..about myself.. about the doctrines that I was raised with.. about everything. I had found such peace within myself.. and joy and love and longsuffering I was walking in the Spirit. I was finally able to hear God speak to me about so many wonderful things.. I was learning that the more I prayed and the more I read the bible.. the louder His voice was. I was exercising my spiritual muscles that had gone slack. I could write a book about all the lessons He's taught me but the most important thing He taught me was that His way is perfect and how to learn to give my whole life to Him.. to allow Him to direct my path. Its still a struggle.. I attempt to take back control and put myself on the throne but He is usually pretty good about giving me gentle reminders.

I am non-denominational. I do not hold to any doctrines other than Gods. My guidebook is the bible and my teacher is Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit. When I lost my dad.. my Father in heaven took the role of my earthly Father .. He's pretty strict but I know He loves me no matter what I do. I know that when Im sad I can climb into His lap and He comforts me. When Im happy He shares my joy with me. When Im over burdened He helps me along. I have a personal relationship with God and I cherish it.

The idea that someone else has a false teaching because it doesn't match with what I was taught or believe is the number one thing that bothered me (and still bothers me) about mainstream Christianity. The whole notion rings false and is contrary to what has been revealed to me. I believe the judgments and sternness of "God" or other attributes when applied to our experience of "God" are always a projection of the way we feel about ourselves. There was a time in my depression when a stern judging God was my God.

Not any more.

I agree totally.. I felt that also... because I was so busy listening to myself and letting my doubts and fears take hold.. I wasnt listening to God. I was failing to recognize what Jesus actually did for me.. freeing me from feeling like I had to to work my way into Gods grace. Its a nasty spiritual attack.. twisting God into a damning God.. Its sad that it works so often.

alternative just does not sound right to me, but i think i know what you mean. but i must agree there are a whole slew of things in the traditions that are being left out or were added, that should not be.

Thank you both Abogado and Faithful for sharing your awakening stories. Both so different yet both so very powerful. Right now the part about finding/being found by the Loving God, rather than fearing the judgmental condemning God, is ringing all my bells.

peace,
lunamoth

This is a great thread. I was deeply moved by all the testimonies; Path, Abogado and Faithful. I can actually relate with all of them. My journey is very similar to the ones you described.

I don't know exactly when it all started for me. All I can remember is that ever since I was a child I had the sense that there was something deeper and greater than met the eye. I wasn't raised religious at all. My mother was a recovering Catholic( no offence to Catholics), She had a harsh upbringing in Catholic schools; being told she was going to hell constantly and physical treatment from nuns. She vowed never to raise me in that church. My dad is almost a certified atheist, however I think deep down he does believe. To sum it up, my only exposure to church was Easter and Christmas. These were usually Prodestant or Presbyterian Churches. There was little or no talk of God in the house. But in spite of that I would speak about Him as a child.

One thing lead to another and by my teens I was completely strung out on alcohol and drugs. I took anything that was there(heavy on the LSD) and think that i was searching for a spiritual experience through that. Come to think of it I did have a spritual experience. Take enough acid and you'll see God.;)

The alcohol and drug use came to a halt and this is when my true walk began. I attended a 12 step program that I am still a part of today. Anyone familiar with AA knows that it is a spiritual program that involves much introspection and addressing ones inner demons with a reliance on a Higher Power. They don't stress a particular belief in this Power, only that you believe in something Greater than yourself.

Naturally I chose God. This God was not Christian. It was just God. I began to pray to this God and It changed my life. I experienced a sense of safety and euphoria that I had always looked for with the drugs and alcohol. God was real to me in a way like never before.

During this transition my mother became a Christian. She began to speak to me a about Jesus and I didn't like it. Eventually I conceded and went to church with her. I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. This rang in another period of change in my life. I'm not sure if I truly accepted Jesus or if I did it as a gesture to my mother. Anyhow, the next few years were not lived very devoutly to God but I still held on to my beleifs in God and Jesus.

At some point I did feel like God was calling me to be in the church. I began to go and attend church services on a regular basis. I went on mission trips. Probably 4 in all; Haiti, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica. I became very disillusioned at these trips. The missionaries looked at the people of these countries with such pity, like we were there to save them. Most of the missionaries treated this as a vacation(me included). Believe in God and you can maybe live like us. The main purpose of the trip was to bring people to Christ and preach. It seemed so fake to me. I kept thinking, man I could have such a good time here if I wasn't with these missionaries. The number of converts would be tallied daily to report to the home church and justify more donations.
I realize many had good intentions but there was something so condescending about it. It bothered me greatly. The last staw was on a mission trip to Haiti. We passed through Port au Prince. One of the most devastatingly poor places I have ever seen. We continue through there to a missionary home( very nice I might add) before departing the next day to a more remote region of Haiti to build a church.
We were the third team and put a roof and electricity in the church before the Pastor started to use it for services. One day I was walking around this neighborhood awe struck by the beauty of the country and the people as I came across at least 3 more churches from other missionary teams from the US. Each church had its little flag; Missippi Baptist etc. I couldn't believe my eyes. Did we just build another church within on square mile after passing through the poorest city in the western hemisphere without doing anything? That did it for me.
During this time I began to discount the complete transformation I had at AA. The church was leading me to believe that just a belief in God was wrong. You have to do it like this to be saved. I belived it. I faded away from AA for fear I was being led astray by the devil. I questioned scripture that didn't sit well with me. They said, "this is how it is, everything else is false teaching" "to question is of the devil, just have faith." To myself I would think about the lives I saw restored in AA. Lives that were restored regardless of their beliefs in God. How could I have forgottenn this? How could I let someone else tell me who God is and what God is and how to perceive him. God spoke to me and millions of others, to deny this was blaspheme.

Another changing experience I had was watching a documentary on the Haj to Mecca. The presence of God at this pilgramage came through the TV set. I could feel it, almostto the point of tears. I knew all of those people were filled with the Spirit of God. People there were crying and praying, just like I saw at Christian churches. I began to search out God in a way like never before. I find God everywhere and in everything. I still revere Jesus Christ. I pray in his name alot. I don't pray to him but rather through or in the name of the spirit that filled him while he was here. I still read the Bible and enjoy it, however, I read it differently today. I allow it to speak to me however it wishes. I don't make my reading and interpretation fit into any doctrine I've learned. I love to look for the clues that are present in it that lead to greater truths and confirm them through alternate readings.

I think I am still Christian. I just don't know what kind. I'm waiting for the day that God joins us all together as one under Him. I believe we are all in for an awakening and that this awakening will include many ideas and teachings. I know Jesus Christ is a major part of this and so I hang on to him and hopefully will forever.

path_of_one said:
Yes... this is wonderfully stated. That is how I feel. Underneath all the different languages and symbols and names of God, there is but One Divine. We are either experiencing that Truth, or we are experiencing our own self-delusion.

I have no doubt that if I were born in a Chinese family, I would still have experienced the presence of God. Maybe I would have called it the Tao. But God would still have been there within me, calling to me. And the more I have studied the religions and cultures of the world, the more I have seen people experiencing and loving the same Being that I do. If one cuts out the names and cultural contexts and self-identifications, one is left with people all over the world united in their experience of a personal, transcendent, and immanent Being. This ongoing realization only deepens my faith in a God that I experienced as infinitely loving and understanding of our needs and limitations.

As a side note, I know what you mean about how difficult it can be to write out one's testimony like that. There's a lot to one's lifelong journey with God, and I've never tried to summarize it succinctly. It is a challenge!
Your story does indeed indicate how blessed you've been. My inclination is to the mystical, not the theological in particular. Interesting what you said re early childhood experiences of mysticism-stuff published recently re how naturally "mystical &/or psychic" young children can be-the "natural mysticism" of childhood seems for most of us to be faculties closed off with development and then we have to work to reconnect with that due to our "hardening of the categories.":) Also interesting writings re how advanced psychic abilities seem somewhat genetic. Aborgado-sounds as if your current view may be similar to my own-I'm a jungian-oriented mental health specialist; long-time practitioner of buddhist meditative disciplines with a Christian orientation-in the broadest sense of the term, (big fan of Meister Eckhart). For me the methods of buddhism blend so well with the path laid out by Jesus as explored by Christian mystics: it's all about getting beyond the artificial confines of the false self & in that "cloud of unknowing" wait on whatever God wants to say;) Take care, Earl

hey, all

i was raised Lutheran, but never really fell in with the beliefs preached there. i didn't agree with the deification of Jesus (i generally saw this as an excuse to worship as opposed to being like him), and i disliked the amount of emphasis placed on the human experience, as i was very much drawn to the natural world.

so pretty much i went to church for years in hopes of hearing a really nice hymn.

i'd been privately rejecting much of Chritian doctrine for a while when my dad died. this pretty much cinched it for me at ten. i could not understand why a personal, loving god would strike down a guy like my father and leave my mom all alone with three kids and all that grief. i figured that it was silly to try to attribute bad things to a god who just knows better than we do.

so for about ten years after, i believed vaguely in a "something", a spiritual element to the universe that gave life and took it away. kind of like the Tao. i studied various religious paths (like Buddhism, Islam, and Pantheism) but none of them really fit. still, i learned alot of cool stuff.

when i got off to college (grudgingly- i wanted to get a job out of high school like my friends and didn't much see "the point" of going to school) i discovered Quakerism. it felt right, and i loved the Quaker community. i also loved the fact that there was real emphasis on changing things for the better and following Jesus' example, not just praying to him and hoping god'll take care of the important stuff. the permission for fluidity of personal belief also appealed to me. some Quakers are Christians, others believe in a Unitarian god, while others are agnostics.

so, that's about it up to now. :)

Praise God.

I spoke in another thread how I was raised in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. The Love message of Jesus that was meant for all mankind was not preached there as much as the wrath of Jehovah on all that were not in 'the truth' and the truth of the destruction of Satan's rule on earth and Jehovah's new paradise that arises from the ruins of fire and brimstone that destroys everyone but Jehovah's Witnesses. Terrifying message for me as a kid. I grew up thinking that nothing is good and every thought I had that was outside of the Watchtower and Awake! and the New World Translation was damning me to hell. My first heartbreak was Jehovah's wrath on me because my boyfriend and I were unequally yoked.

Strange thing about some organizations is that it teaches the people a message about how God is and then the organization leaves you to ponder issues of every day life, things that all humankind experiences. I've often wondered if these extreme views are meant to control the thought pattern of the followers. I don't think Jesus was like that.

Anyway, my first year of college left me flunked out of college but completely tuned into the library. Since then I've studied some of the different religions of mankind, ancient and modern, the history of the different Bible versions, read the old testament in three different versions, read the Apocrypha, and I am now slowly studying the New Testament in four different versions. I've studied some Latin and will be soon studying Hebrew.

I guess my goal is to understand Christianity inside and out. I believe Christianity is a whole and I don't really support denominational Christianity because Jesus was not an extremist. I didn't really know Jesus as I was growing up because I was to fearful of letting my mind wander from the concept of the JWs. Through the Gospels I was able to see that Jesus' message was one of Love. I like that. It doesn't make me feel like I have to fight with anybody to accept the message. Anybody who wants to submit themselves to Love has to do so with a humble heart and pride pulled away from thier vision. A man who commits his life to his riches cannot get into the Kingdom of God because there is no reciprocation in love of riches. Love takes constant humility and I have become a better person in my understanding of the message and my seeking to further understand the message.

There are alot of Jesus warriors out there. I would never want to tamper with anyone's need to be closer to God but I think that if these people really looked into the things that Jesus said - not only for condemnation - it could humble our hearts quite a bit. I am tolerant of the religions that I have studied because we all mostly have the same idea, just understood in different fashions - but you understand when you understand the ways that different cultures communicate. Anyway, I am a God-child. I have a testimony that never gets old because God is constantly breaking me and making me over new. He keeps revealing his wisdom everywhere. The Love of God helps me see the common ground where I once was locked up into believing that the world was going to soon be destroyed in fire and brimstone. Not to say that this isn't true, but I just have something to live for now, you know?

truthseeker said:
Anyway, I am a God-child. I have a testimony that never gets old because God is constantly breaking me and making me over new. He keeps revealing his wisdom everywhere.

Another wow.

You people here are amazing me.

lunamoth

This is my favorite thread in all of this forum. I hope it never closes.

With all my heart, I intend to testify here at some point, but I am so uplifted, touched, made aware by everyone's comments that I just want to continue reading for a while.

InPeace,
InLove

Back