Sub-sub Forums?

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Dear Admin and Members,

Just an observation, but some boards seem to beg for more specifics--

One example might be the Christian board. It seems to be increasingly flooded with questions and issues concerning Catholicism. And I appreciate the opportunity to discuss Catholic beliefs and doctrines, etc., there. But not all Christians are Catholics (or Protestants, for that matter--some are neither.)

I suppose it is working okay for now, but I am thinking that the forum will grow.

And I think that the idea of "sub-subforems" would undoubtedly not be limited to the Christian board, either.

Well, just thinking--you asked.:)

InPeace,
InLove

Thanks for the feedback, and it's a definite concern - my personal policy has always been to try and only create boards where there is an obvious need for one. However, sometimes too fine a set of subdivisions can leave information buried and fragmented.

As the forums grow there will almost certainly be changes - the idea of a future Cathlocism board is certainly not a far-fetched idea - we'll see how things develop, and then see how people feel about it. :)

Hmm I can't understand why a further sub forum in Christianity would be needed.. After all there's only one bible! All sections of Christianity are all part of the Christian history and now with efforts being made to unify the churches or create closer bonds there really is little use of further sub forums in Christianity.. Also it's true what Brian says division in forums, looking at it from a webmasters point of view can leave information buried and fragmented, then what you find people post less or people start posting in the wrong places and information is harder to dig, find and post making it more complicated.

I somewhat agree with PM.. Im concerned with the idea of dividing up catholism and protestantism because they essentially support each other despite doctrine issues. I would however add gnostic Christianity or something to that effect. I believe they need their own forum to be able to discuss their beliefs freely whereas on the Christian forum they cannot do that without being challenged by bible believers... or their challenging of said bible believers.

You forget the orthodox, Faithfulservent. And all Christians are bible belivers, no matter how they interprete it.

Faithfulservant said:
I somewhat agree with PM.. Im concerned with the idea of dividing up catholism and protestantism because they essentially support each other despite doctrine issues. I would however add gnostic Christianity or something to that effect. I believe they need their own forum to be able to discuss their beliefs freely whereas on the Christian forum they cannot do that without being challenged by bible believers... or their challenging of said bible believers.
BINGO. Naturally those who do not believe the same way are not going to see it or be as effected...very sad

its like the bible believers are supposed to defend there belief in the bible while others slander it & set out to destroy it, directing people away from Jesus & the bible..it will go one way or the other eventually.

seems like May is destroy the bible & catholics month. very sad.

everyone can have there own set of fundamentals, but if you believe the bible & live by faith, well now, we just cant have too much of that.

There really is not that much difference in Catholics & Protestants. More like perception. Seems they believe most of the same basic things, just have different reasons for believeing them.

InLove said:
Dear Admin and Members,

Just an observation, but some boards seem to beg for more specifics--

One example might be the Christian board. It seems to be increasingly flooded with questions and issues concerning Catholicism. And I appreciate the opportunity to discuss Catholic beliefs and doctrines, etc., there. But not all Christians are Catholics (or Protestants, for that matter--some are neither.)

I suppose it is working okay for now, but I am thinking that the forum will grow.

And I think that the idea of "sub-subforems" would undoubtedly not be limited to the Christian board, either.

Well, just thinking--you asked.:)

InPeace,
InLove
Welcome to the boards InLove. I am thinking you may want to ask your questions directly to specific individuals until they get it straightened out. I cant follow all the postings real close right now, but I do see your frustration in asking questions & getting all sorts of answers from those who do not even believe in the bible. I think it is confusing & that was how I felt when I first joined too. After awhile you get to know who is who & it is not so bad.:) Really.

And all Christians are bible belivers, no matter how they interprete it.

I think what she meant was that all the different churches of Christianity i.e. the Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, all share a lot of fundamental aspects which is faith in Christs divinity and follow the same bible. The differences which separate the churches are "human" issues or different interpretations and different rituals. We all know the Orthodox Church is the "right way" anyway :D

You thought right, PM.

Even if I am an orthodox, I cannot afford to say on this forum that only the orthodox are the true believers of the bible and the others, don't. You see what I mean ?

alexa said:
You thought right, PM.

Even if I am an orthodox, I cannot afford to say on this forum that only the orthodox are the true believers of the bible and the others, don't. You see what I mean ?
Exactly. I know what you mean Alexa. I did not mean to leave Orthodox out. When a church tells another church they do not believe the bible, when deep down they really do believe all the bible but just have a different perspective, that does hurt people.
That might not be a bad way to sub it eventually, keeping Orthodox, Catholic & Protestant all together, then sub the Gnostic, Spiritualist, & whatever else is out there. That way you just have two Christian forums & it is not so divided. That would provide a place for bible believers & the not so bible believers to communicate without the strife.
It sounds goofy, but it might help.

There is one bible believing church with about 200 members in my area that is so stuck on themselves they will not even fellowship most of the local churches or allow the kids to play basketball with other teams. They actually run a different direction if you try to be nice to them. The Pastor teaches them not to fellowship with other churches. I visited a couple of times & they asked me not to come back after I told them what church I was from. It is so stupid.
The real funny part is, the Pastor picks his nose & combs his hair (a LOT) while he preaches:rolleyes: .

There are some Catholics who actually have Protestant views & vice versa, but they still hold to the bible as the written Word & Jesus as Lord of Lords & Savior & that through Calvary we have remission of sins & can have eternal life.

I think CR will get it right. Its all trial and error & it takes time.
Just trying to be helpful.:)

Would someone like to help me move 20 yards of mulch that was just delivered on my driveway? I hurt my back & cant get to it orderly. I promise not to talk about religion. :D

Wow--appreciate everyone's thoughts! Yes, I can see how posts could get buried by too many subforums. I am really not frustrated by diversity--I actually enjoy it; That is why I like CR. It might officially stand for "comparative religion" , but I have nick-named it my "curiosity room". :D I tend to over-organize, which generally leads to rampant disorganization--just look at the world of religion!;)

Thanks again,
InLove

The only thing about sub-forums is that the occasional folk like me without a particular affiliation would feel a little lost trying to figure out where to post. I'm not gnostic or spiritualist, but as a mystic I'm obviously a bit "different" from mainstream. :confused:

I kind of can guess what Faithful means by "Bible believing" but it gets sticky, because even in mainstream denominations there is a continuum of "Bible believers" from those that take it as literal and inerrant to those that take it as symbolic. Lots of Episcopalians and Quakers, for example, are on the more symbolic end of interpretation. I can see where something like gnosticism and dualism are quite different, but if there were such a split, those like me who interpret the Bible quite differently than many but still believe in it might feel left out and unwelcome on either sub-forum. :(

path_of_one said:
The only thing about sub-forums is that the occasional folk like me without a particular affiliation would feel a little lost trying to figure out where to post. I'm not gnostic or spiritualist, but as a mystic I'm obviously a bit "different" from mainstream. :confused:

I kind of can guess what Faithful means by "Bible believing" but it gets sticky, because even in mainstream denominations there is a continuum of "Bible believers" from those that take it as literal and inerrant to those that take it as symbolic. Lots of Episcopalians and Quakers, for example, are on the more symbolic end of interpretation. I can see where something like gnosticism and dualism are quite different, but if there were such a split, those like me who interpret the Bible quite differently than many but still believe in it might feel left out and unwelcome on either sub-forum. :(
Dear Path of One,

I always enjoy your posts, and I think there are many members here who feel very much "out-of-the-mainstream." Probably the reason many are here in the first place.

I was just thinking that sometimes when I am curious or in dire need of education on a particular subject, it is nice to be able to know which board is focused in that area. For instance, I am not Muslim, but when I want or need to know something about Islam, I go directly there. If I needed to ask a question about different sects of Islam, I would like to be able to go directly to that subforum (or sub-subforum, for lack of a better term.) In the same respect, I am not Catholic, and so if I have a specific question about Catholic doctrine, it is nice to know exactly where I can post and receive educated replies.

But for the time being, I can see that it might fragment things too much. There may come a time, however, when we might benefit from the idea. Just a thought, anyway.

Most of all, I just wanted to say I don't think you should feel left out just because you feel different. That is what this forum is all about. Diversity.

InPeace,
InLove

Path-of-one, I would second InLove's comments particularly as re your feelings at times re being an "outsider." Definitely appreciate your insightful posts as well. I typically feel like an outsider as it seems I can partially relate to everything and nothing wholly as exclusively true. I guess my signature line shows my "confusion.":p I think it's a good thing in general when posters who don't fit traditional notions of what a particular religion may typically be about dialogue with more traditional folk-both can probably learn from each other in that manner. My own view is more to the mystical interpretation of nearly everything & I suppose could restrain my dialogue to such forums as Belief & Spirituality or the mysticism subforum of Alternative Spirituality, but why be monogamous?:) Somehting to be said for interacting with a community of fellow believers, but also something to be said for the converse. What it comes down to is the hopeful awareness of everyone here that the human experience unites us all and therefore we have far more in common than what divides us. Beliefs may divide us, but the human heart beats the same in us all. With that in mind, hopefully, all dialogue will come from that place of loving acceptance. take care, Earl

Bandit said:
That might not be a bad way to sub it eventually, keeping Orthodox, Catholic & Protestant all together, then sub the Gnostic, Spiritualist, & whatever else is out there. That way you just have two Christian forums & it is not so divided. That would provide a place for bible believers & the not so bible believers to communicate without the strife.
It sounds goofy, but it might help.
My only concern is the message passed to the other members, not Christian. We are on interfaith forum, which means we are here to learn and meet people with a different religion than ours. What can they say about it ? "Hey, take a look there, they are all Christians but cannot get along with each other ! And they use the same bible". Let's not forget we all have a different perception of the divine and none of us is perfect. I do not believe a muslim is less beliver than myself only because he has quran as guide and not a bible. There is no place for intolerance in here. And those who think they are better than each other only because they give many quotes from the Holy book, think again !

Would someone like to help me move 20 yards of mulch that was just delivered on my driveway? I hurt my back & cant get to it orderly. I promise not to talk about religion. :D
Well, I cannot cross the border any more without my passport. Sorry neighbour ! ;)

alexa said:
My only concern is the message passed to the other members, not Christian. We are on interfaith forum, which means we are here to learn and meet people with a different religion than ours. What can they say about it ? "Hey, take a look there, they are all Christians but cannot get along with each other ! And they use the same bible". Let's not forget we all have a different perception of the divine and none of us is perfect. I do not believe a muslim is less beliver than myself only because he has quran as guide and not a bible. There is no place for intolerance in here. And those who think they are better than each other only because they give many quotes from the Holy book, think again !

Well, I cannot cross the border any more without my passport. Sorry neighbour ! ;)
The message being passed to others not Christian is more like confusion, but not because the believers here dont get along.

Right Alexa, I have learned to ignore the stuff that goes thru the forum that i know is not bible or the ones who try to break down the bible & the blood of Jesus. I dont see the bible being quoted in the other forums or people trying to break down the muslims, the jews, the pagans. It happens all the time on the Christian board with the bible & it is very confusing for people who are watching.

Like um, there was a good 5 threads started in one week against catholics & one good one out to prove the bible wrong. So I dont keep watching or participating in those threads.

For example, when I have a question for Judaism, I prefer to hear what the Orthodox has to say because I know they truly believe the bible.

I dont give quotes from the Holy book to people I know do not want to hear it, I have it hid in my heart & that is where I like it best because no one can ever take it away from me.

I guess some have to visit certain boards to understand what I am trying to say. I dont think all the people who say they are Christians are using the same bible. The bible believers who stay here tolerate a lot of intolerance toward Jesus & the bible. A challenge is one thing, but For a believer, the bible & the blood of Jesus are the two most sacred things.
Over all the mods keep a close eye on it which is nice.

Interfaith & Tolerance-Yes. All religions saying the same thing? I dont think so. I still think a sub forum is a good idea, just cant say exactly how to go about it.

Well Alexa, the mulch will be sitting here for awhile & thanks for offering to help. That was sweet neighbor.:) I will take a little back rub for a rain check. I could sure use that right now:)

path_of_one said:

Path, you are different & you are very nice. Plus you dont try to make people feel bad for what they believe in the bible or make then feel in the least threatened. I have never felt uncomfortable or like you were ever trying to take away beliefs.
I know there are many symbolic/metaphores in the bible. But the people, the places & events are literal. I do not believe someone sat around making up stories. It all fits too perfectly for being written over such a long time.
I think for every literal thing, there is a symbolic message for it.

It is loaded with types/shadows, parallels etc.
i think it would be kind of cool with a sub forum, then we can see the conversation of how badly some want the bible ripped to shreds. oh well, whatever, the bible will stand forever no matter what people say.:)

Thanks. :) I occasionally worry about its effects on others when I challenge traditional interpretations of the Bible; I certainly never want to cause others to lose faith, nor do I think my way is necessarily right for others. But if I agree with other than a traditional interpretation, I feel compelled to state why. I guess if there were sub-forums, I'd just continue trying to post the way I do in the forums that made sense to me. I really love a good discussion and even debate on Biblical interpretation, because I often learn a lot from others. But I do agree that it is not nice to shred anyone's sacred text. I own and have read from all the major world religion's sacred texts, and even if they are not the Bible to me, they still contain truth and the beautiful expression of humanity's attempt to relate to God. As such, I think all sacred texts deserve respect.

I do have to say I am a little disturbed at the recent posts that seem like a backlash against Catholicism. While it is not my "flavor" of Christianity, Catholics love Jesus and the Bible and it is always a bit upsetting to see some Christians shoved outside the metaphoric fold by others, implying that they are either not "real" Christians or are even somehow being led astray by Satan. Such discussions are not loving and I know from talking to non-Christians that they reflect badly on the Body of Christ.

Back