Is it right to "try" other religions?

poolking

Reaction score
Oh no, not him again! I hear you cry.

As the title says, is it right to "try" other religions until you find one that bests suits your person beliefs and lifestyle?

This is sort of a follow on from the religion/social thread I posted.

Why not? How could it be wrong? (At least in a personal aspect)

The catch being that in trying to "try" another religion, it requires a great deal of research and experience to actually try it. Otherwise, you see the superficial aspects and miss the real content.

If there's aspects of your current religious affiliation that you don't agree with, then investigating alternatives is good. If there aren't aspects you don't agree with, you wouldn't be looking, would you?

I think its more of a case being so far detached from religion for so many years, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

I was sort of asking for myself, not a way of asking permission to try other religions, I'm using this thread as a an opinion generation tool to see what other people think. I don't think its wrong myself.

I think the idea of trying out various religions is a good one. In my opinion, the most importrant aspect of finding a new religion is that you THINK about it, and not simply go with the crowd, or with whatever you were indoctrinated with as a child. Any god who can't stand to have his followers ask questions is a VERY small god indeed.

My criteria would be to dit in on a number of worship services before making a commitment. Do you feel comfortable? Welcome? Noticed? Do their beliefs seem to echo your own, or are you going to need a partial lobotomy in order to fit in?

Many Christian churches emphasize that the congregation shouldn't feel TOO comfortable, that they should feel led to examine themselves and their lives, not always a comfortable process. But there's still a level of familiarity we experience in some churches, even the first time we enter them, and a feeling of exclusion in others. We Wiccans think of these as the thought forms created by the belief and prayer of the worshippers, and your response to the "vibes" of the place are a genuine and useful measure of how well you'll fit.

Other things to examine--and these might not be immediately apparent--are doctrinal issues only marginally related to scriptures or statements of belief. How does the church in question treat women? Homosexuals? The abortion issue? African-American members? People who show up in tattered blue jeans instead of a coat and tie? Do these attitudes--usually unspoken--match your own feelings about these topics? Do they matter?

And I agree with Bruce that you do need to do some digging to get past the superficial window dressing, or the warm smiles and greetings of the official greeters--whose job it is to make newcomers welcome so they'll come back!

If, as you say, you're not sure what you believe anymore, your first question would likely be . . . okay, what DO you believe? Dig at it. Be honest and ruthless. Does going to church matter from a spiritual point of view? Or is it a social club where you can make new business contacts? Is it important to your welfare, or a dead loss of a Sunday morning?

Once those questions are answered, you can begin narrowing down the available options. There are plenty to choose from!

Certainly there isn't - I think Bill covered this topic on the issue of Neo-Paganism and Wicca. :)

I come from a position of accepting any path as valid to understanding/ moving to a closer relationship with, Divinity. Therefore I could never follow just one, because I'm always too attracted to the others. There's a lot in Christian humility I'm attracted to, and there's something fascinating about Islamic thinking - especially in the Golden Age of the 9th to 12th centuries. And then there's there wonderful view of the universe and reality espoused in the first lines of the Tao Te Ching. Then there's the intricate philosophy of in Hinduism, the asceticism of Buddhism, the ornate traditions of Judaism, the sense of honour in Confucianism...

Perhaps in the modern world, with such inter-cultural mixing, there is no longer a necessary reason for one sole religion to serve a people. We are becoming a mixture of many peoples of many ideas, all joined in one cosmopolitan world. Perhaps the growth in Neopaganism, especially Wicca, is particularly reflective of this dissatisfaction that one religion serves all.

I said:
Then there's the intricate philosophy of in Hinduism, the asceticism of Buddhism, the ornate traditions of Judaism, the sense of honour in Confucianism...

Namaste Brian,

hmm... i'm curious where you've come to this view of Buddhism as the Buddha expressly teaches that asceticism is not the correct way.

in any event, to address the OP's original posting...

to seekers of the Truth, the Buddha said:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Do not accept anything on (mere) hearsay -- (i.e., thinking that thus have we heard it for a long time). Do not accept anything by mere tradition -- (i.e., thinking that it has thus been handed down through many generations). Do not accept anything on account of mere rumors -- (i.e., by believing what others say without any investigation). Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything by mere suppositions. Do not accept anything by mere inference. Do not accept anything by merely considering the reasons. Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions. Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable -- (i.e., thinking that as the speaker seems to be a good person his words should be accepted). Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (therefore thinking it is right to accept his word). [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But when you know for yourselves -- these things are immoral, these things are blameworthy, these things are censured by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken conduce to ruin and sorrow -- then indeed do you reject them.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"When you know for yourselves -- these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness -- then do you live acting accordingly." [/font]

Ah, apologies, Vajradhara - when I think of Buddhism I always think upon the monstic tradition. I know - my bad. :)

I said:
Ah, apologies, Vajradhara - when I think of Buddhism I always think upon the monstic tradition. I know - my bad. :)

Namaste Brian,

no apologies necessary :) When speaking of the monastic traditions, it's important to bear in mind a few things... mainly the division of the schools for therein lies some of the distinctions between them. which, when you think about it, makes perfect sense :)

in the case of the Mahayana, for instance, even in the monastaries the Vinya expressly refutes the ascetic movement. in my opinion, the Hinyana (Theraveda) does not expressly address this in the same way. the Vajrayana is, in some ways, anthetical to the ascetic movement, is so far as deprivation of the body is considered a very minor path.

I'm about as hard-core a Christian as you'll find on this board other than Polycarp, and I see nothing wrong with exploring other religions. When I was living in Hawaii, I had friends who were Wiccan, and, believe it or not, I even underwent a Wiccan initiation ritual. In the end, I decided Wicca was not for me, but, several years later, when I took up with WHKeith and his wife, I had a wonderful time discussing religion with Bill and exploring the nature of our beliefs, where they converged and diverged. I believe God/the Universe/the Divine/whatever you want to call it tries to meet us where we are, whether that's a Wiccan circle or a Fundamentalist-style revival meeting complete with shouted "Hallelujah!"'s (or both, if you happen to be WHKeith!;)).

When I taught Sunday school, one of the things I did was teach the kids how to question their religion so they could do it safely and not have it be a faith-shattering experience. My faith has given me answers which work for me. Whether they work for you or not is something you know far better than I do.

CJ

"Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, depravity, idolatry, sorcery, hostilities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish rivalries, dissensions, factions, envying, murder, drunkenness, carousing, and similar things. I am warning you, as I had warned you before: Those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God!" - Galatians 5:19 - 21

wicca is replete with worshipping false gods, idolatry, and sorcery. Being a "hard core" Christian, which I guess I am if you call yourself one and embrace these things, I must say I stay very much away from these practices, as I do not feel any comfort in displeasing God.

With the possible exception of "sorcery", the Wiccans I am best acquainted with do not practice those things, while all too many Christians I know do. I have, among my friends and acquaintances, people who have been driven away from Christianity by the actions of Christians.

Gatherer, I, too, am a hard core Christian, and I do not consider my associating with WHKeith and his wife (the Wiccans I referred to) "displeasing to God". Indeed, I sincerely believe with every bit of my Christian soul that God specifically led me to them and their friendship. On the other hand, a young woman who I no longer claim as an acquaintance who is quite proud of and vocal about her Christianity, by her merciless depiction of God, specifically quoting the line, "He who shows mercy is a traitor to God" out of context triggered a rather nasty bout of depression in me last winter. There is no question in my mind whose company I'd choose, and I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions.

CJ

There is a thought-provoking article written by a Christian, James Clement Taylor, on the topic of Wicca that has been floating around the internet for years. I used to participate in an interfaith discussion forum where he was a regular poster (this was years ago) and I have to say I have the utmost respect for him.

His article is on the web at http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/christian.htm (note: this is a Wiccan site.) The article is posted in many other places on the web as well.

The sentiments expressed in Taylor's article could easily apply to any other non-Christian religious group as well.

Ben Gruagach

Seige said:
With the possible exception of "sorcery", the Wiccans I am best acquainted with do not practice those things

My brother is a wiccan priest. The wiccans he associate with across the US call on the powers of all kinds of pagan gods and goddesses. Another common practice of wiccans is to worship the earth as a mother goddess. Again, to a bible-believing Christian, this is idolatry.

I don't frown on wiccans, in fact I love my brother and respect him. It is just my own personal belief that the practice of wicca is wrong. In fact, I truly believe that these alternate religions, which lie in direct contrast to the teachings of Christ and the belief that He is Son of God our Father and Creator in heaven, are works of satan. They are fancied up as "good" and "positive" but they in no way give glory and praise to God.

That is what we are here for, is it not. To give glory to God?

Siege, brother, listen, I am not one of those "nose up in the air", "holier than thou", "bible thumpers." I just have strong feelings. I am a peaceful person. But I at the same time, I keep the light on the lampstand, and let it shine brightly. And I make no apologies for it.

SIEGE said:
On the other hand, a young woman who I no longer claim as an acquaintance who is quite proud of and vocal about her Christianity, by her merciless depiction of God, specifically quoting the line, "He who shows mercy is a traitor to God"

This person may be proud of their "christianity" but that doesn't sound like a true follower of Christ to me. I shudder to think that a person with a belief such as this represents Christians to you! :)

Peace and blessings to you. And all! :)

Of course, it is important to note that - whatever our beliefs - this is essentially an inter-faith board, and the inter-faith dialogue must needs remain respectful. :)

Actually, there's scope for a comparative argument here - that of the similarities between monotheism and polytheism, that I really should make room to address at some point. I'm going to have to really think on the new forum strucuturing.

I thought I'd interject with another useful resource for those who are exploring different religious paths. This one is called the "Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame" (or the ABCDEF). It's a handy checklist created by Isaac Bonewits that helps identify various "warning signs" that a group might not be one to get involved with, i.e. might be rather cult-like. I find it's good for evaluating any group, not just religious ones, for whether they are level-headed or not.

The checklist is on Bonewits' website at http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html And yes, Isaac Bonewits is a modern Pagan.

; )

Ben Gruagach

Oh no, not him again! I hear you cry.

As the title says, is it right to "try" other religions until you find one that bests suits your person beliefs and lifestyle?

This is sort of a follow on from the religion/social thread I posted.

Yes. What is not right is to let religion try you.

Back