Islam's view about the Trinity

Reaction score
dailogue does not mean neglecting differences, it means discussing those differnces in order to satisfy the exlamations and the questions that the one holds about the other.dailogue means either to convince me or to convince you, and if this case does not take place, the essence in dailogue remains the same: the essence is that we tolerate difference.
between Judaism, Christianity and Islam, there are a lot of similarities as the source of them is one : God. the differences between those religions are small, but important. my focus now on those differences is not out of any negative feelings or bad intentions. i extremely believe that in dailogue, any dailogue, we have first to concentrate on the differences, not by neglecting them, because then we are just posponing what can be done now or make somthings or some feelings become bigger and bigger and deeper and deeper.
i hope you really read what i have written about our views about the Holy Trinity and Jesus' crucifixion and presents to me your real, true feelings and views without any sensivity.and i am sorry, terribly sorry if i upset any one. it is not my intention. mu pure intention is dailogue and have a real image about each other. and i will be extremely happy if you present to me the main objections that you have about islam in a context of objectivity, respect and raison.
i am sorry again, and i hope we really open a real dialogue which sheds light on our differences, not to adopt them, but to co-exist with them in an atmospher of mutual respect, understanding and acceptance *****************************************************
The Trinity is the basic tenet of the Christian faith and Christianity cannot stand without it. In Oxford dictionary, we find out that the trinity is "The union of father, Son and Holy Spirit as one God (ed. Crowther, 1277)." Let’s read the following excerpt in which Augustin explains this hard-to-be understood dogma:
All those Catholic expounders of the divine Scriptures, both Old and New, whom I have been able to read, who have written before me concerning the Trinity, who is God, have proposed to teach, according to the Scriptures, the doctrine, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit intimate a divine unity of one and the same substance in an indivisible equality; and that therefore they are not three Gods but one God: although the Father has begotten the son, and so He who is the Father is not the son; and the son is begotten by the Father, and so He who is not the son is not the Father; and the Holy Spirit is neither the father nor the Son, but only the Spirit of the Father and the son, Himself co-equal with the Father and the Son, and pertaining to the unity of the Trinity; … the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, as they are indivisible, so work indivisibly, this is also my faith, since it is the Catholic faith (qtd. in Peters, 286)

From this explanation, I will try to simplify this dogma more and more. The holy Trinity consists of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

1-God who is also the father of Jesus.

2-Jesus is the Son of God and at the same time God incarnate.

3-The Holy Spirit which is the spirit of both the Father and Son.

Now, let’s examine each part of the Trinity separately and put it into confrontation with reason.

1)God: the Father of Jesus

Muslims believe in the purity of Mary and the virgin birth of Jesus as one of God’s miracles. And in this matter, we differentiate from the Jews who believe that Jesus is the son of a quite human father. However, on the other hand, Muslims differentiate from the Christians who believe that Jesus is the son of God. This idea is totally refused by Muslims because it is both repudiated by God and contrast reason. Christians believe that Jesus is begotten, not made. There are millions of people who believe that God begat a son. And this belief is so shameful and disgraceful, for begetting is done through sexual experience which is necessary both in animals’ and man’s worlds (Deedat, The Debate of the Century, 91). Thus, one becomes atheist once he says that God has begotten a son (Deedat, 64). God himself repudiates this idea in the Quran when He says "[. . .], and the Christians call Christ the Son of God. That is a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the Unbelievers of old used to say. God’s curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth! (9:30)." Yes, one become so away from the Truth and reason once he believes that God was involved in a sexual experience with one of his servants.

The human reason and good sense naturally believe that there is no one like God, that He is the creator of all, and that He has the supreme ability of doing anything He wants without being involved in the materialistic world of man. The Quran reveals: In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.* "Say: He is God, the One and Only;* God, the Eternal, Absolute;* He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;* And there is none like unto Him (112: 1-4)."

2)Jesus: the son of God and at the same time God incarnate

Christians believe that Jesus is God incarnate, although this belief is in complete break with reason.
All the facts prove that Jesus is just a man and has no divine characteristics. The Quran tells us that there is no one like God: "And there is none like unto Him (112: 4)." So, how can it be believed that Jesus is God in flesh? How can it be believed that God has a body like ours? He eats, drinks, sleeps and does every man’s actions which are done also by animals. God is, as one entirely feels, "a spiritual Being, beyond the imagination of the mind of man (Deedat, 65)." Ahmad Deedat, a comparative religion researcher, presents to us quite convincing arguments that Jesus is just a man. Deedat says that the Bible reveals that the angels had already named Jesus by that name while he was still in his mother’s womb. And Deedat continues wondering: "who was the one named by that name while he was still in his mother’s womb? He is Jesus! And the question in other way is who was in the womb of Mary: Jesus or God? (68)." After this very rational information, Deedat keeps going on presenting more and more reasonable facts. He says: "Suppose that there was a midwife besides Mary, the mother of Jesus at the time of his birth. So, that midwife was receiving between her hands a baby. Thus, how can we believe that this helpless baby was a God! (68)." Furthermore, Deedat becomes more and more convincing as he continues saying that the Bible reveals that Jesus was circumcised in his eight day (Luke 2: 12). Then, he wonders: "A God and an operation of circumcision is done to Him!! (67)."

God Himself declares in the Quran that Jesus is no more than God’s apostle: "Christ the son of Mary was no more than an apostle; many were the apostles that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how God doth make His Signs clear to them; yes see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth (5: 75)."

Moreover, to those who present Jesus’ miracles as signs of his deity, we will show that Jesus’ miracles do not qualify him to be a God. First, because there are miracles of other apostles that surpass Jesus’ miracles. Moses, for instance, "is greater than Jesus because he put life back into a dead stick and transmuted it from the plant kingdom to the animal kingdom by making it into a serpent (Exodus 7. 10) (qtd.in Deedat, Christ in Islam, 92)." Second, Jesus' power is borrowed from God, and it is not his own. In the Bible, we find the Christ himself declares that his miracles are done through God’s spirit: "I can of mine own self do nothing [. . .]. (John 5:30)" "I cast out devils by the Spirit of God [. . .]. (Matthew 12:28)" (qtd.in Deedat, 95)." So, why the Christians advance Jesus' miracles as signs of his divinity, while Jesus himself declares that his miracles are done though God’s power? In the Quran itself, we find an account of Jesus' miracles presented to the people of Israel as signs of his prophethood. And we also have an affirmation that these miracles are done through God’s support:

And (appoint him) an apostle to the Children of Israel, (with this message): "I have come to you, with a Sign from your Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as if it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God’s Leave: And I heal those born blind, and the lepers, and I quicken the dead, by God’s Leave; and I declare to you what ye eat, and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe." (3: 49)

What is most convincingly is that Jesus himself never said ‘I am God’ or "worship me’. Deedat confirms confidently that there is no sentence, in the sixty-six books which form the Old and the New Testament, wherein we find Jesus (PbUH) says: ‘I am God’ or ‘worship me’ (The Debate of The Century,70). Thus, how did Christianity say of Jesus’ deity? Simply, by means of interpretation. In John 10: 30, we find Jesus says "I and my father are one." This expression, as Deedat shows, is misinterpreted by Christian theologians. The problem is that Christians cite this verse out of its context. Through the context (John Chapter 10, verse 23-30), Deedat simply shows that Jesus means nothing by that verse, but that he and God are one in purpose and goal which is people’s remaining in faith (79). Also, in the Quran, we have reinforcement that Jesus asks his people to worship only the one God and follow his path: ‘It is God who is my Lord and your Lord; then worship Him. This is a way that is straight’ (3: 50-54)."

3)The Holy Spirit

As far as the holy spirit is concerned, Augustine had shown that "… the Holy Spirit is neither the Father nor the Son, but only the Spirit of the Father and the Son, Himself co-equal with the Father and the Son, and pertaining to the unity of the Trinity [. . .]. (qtd. in Peters, 286)." From this quotation, we come to know that the Holy Spirit, which is one spirit, is the spirit of two persons, the Father and the Son, and not one person! This spirit is also considered as a God, and, thus, the third person in the Trinity. But, in the Christian teachings, there is no reference of the Holy Spirit. So, from where this idea is brought?

Actually, the whole idea of the Trinity, as we have gradually seen, has no reference in Christianity. Therefore, one may ask what is the story of Trinity? And how did the Trinity become one of the most important tenets of Christianity? Very surprisingly, the Trinity appeared in the third or fourth century. That is to say, three or four centuries after Christ. In reality, the Trinity is a result of the Christian theologians’ misinterpretation of the Holy Writ. Furthermore, why the choice of the Trinity and not, for instance, of the quatrain or binary? Simply, because the idea of the Trinity was the result of the influence of the Greek methodology.

Trinitarian -or better, triadic, thinking about the primary principle or principles of being was not a Christian innovation. Dyads and triads were philosophical common places among the later Platonist philosophers, and Philo’s triume, "Lord God of three natures, teaching, perfection and practice, whose recorded symbols are Abraham, Isaac and Jacob." Is a notion that can be found, as a whole or in its distinct parts, scattered trough many passages in his writings [. . .]. (Peters, 285)

And it is well known that the relationship between the members of the holy Trinity did not take its last form only in Constantine assembly in 325 A.C. In reality, this is the mere fact of the Trinity. It has more to do with misinterpretation and history than with divinity.

Many philosophers, scientists and priests had come in contact with this fact, and this led them into a revolution and a rebellion. In the first Christian Church, a separation happened as a result of the priests’ withdrawal from the church consensus, and their establishment of the unipolar dogma which was called "Monophysite Christianity". This movement was an expression of the priest’s intellectual independence from the Greek trend which had developed and explained the Christian teaching according to the Greek mythology (AL Damlugi, 104). Also, Hans Küng, the director of the institution of the Christian Churches’ Unions’ Researchers, which follows to Tübingen’s University in South-East of the Federal Germany, decided to make the Christian teachings go back to many of its real principles which Jesus called to. One of these principles is the belief in the unity of God. Küng refused the Trinity and proved that it was added in the third or fourth century (Küng, 71-72).

God himself advices his Christian servants to stop believing in the Trinity, for this concept make them turn from the real path to God, and the inner happiness and satisfaction:

"
O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of God ought but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (nor more than) an apostle of God, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in God and His apostles. Say not "Trinity": desist: It will be better for you: for God is one God: glory be to Him: (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs. (4:171).

Moved to comparative studies, out of Christianity. Critical analysis like that belongs here, not there, especially by someone outside the faith referenced by the board.

dailogue is the best said:
The Trinity is the basic tenet of the Christian faith and Christianity cannot stand without it.

The trinity is, perhaps, a basic tenet of many Christians' faiths and many Christian churches' doctrines. However, not all of us have the same ideas about the trinity. I follow Christ, but I do not believe in the trinity as you present it. I see the trinity as a human attempt to express their experience of the Divine. In my own experience, the Divine/God manifests itself in various ways to people. Sometimes God seems transcendent, far beyond humanity, Infinite and Eternal, genderless. Sometimes God seems like a close friend, self-sacrificing, supremely loving, holding our hand and guiding us through life. Sometimes God seems like an inner Voice in the still center of our soul, immanent, transformative, alive in everything God created. And sometimes we are so tranformed that the boundary between self and God falls, and we find ourselves wrapped in this Great Being, a part of the Creative Process. I believe that these different manifestations of God are what people attempted to express with the idea of the Trinity and the tranforming process of being saved. Of course, this would be perceived of as heretical to many Christians, but there's a lot of diversity out there among us who follow Jesus.

You may think that Christianity would fall without a belief in the trinity, but I disagree. I follow Christ because of his teachings' transcendent power, because they resonate deep in my soul, and I love him. Without the trinity, perhaps the religion of Christianity would cease to be or would change, but followers of Christ would remain.

Personally, I agree that God is One. My own best expression for my spiritual experience is that I am communing with the Divine One. But this One takes many manifestations when it meets the individuality of personality, culture, and expression here among us, and so the Divine is called many names and conceived of in many forms among the people of the world.

brucegdc said:
Moved to comparative studies, out of Christianity. Critical analysis like that belongs here, not there, especially by someone outside the faith referenced by the board.
I'm sort of hoping that we can make for something of an interesting discussion on it, but I can't say I'm not disappointed that I see the main motivation for this thread as an attempt by a Muslim to directly challenge the Christians here, in order to promote an Islamic view.

John 17:11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

*yes 1 means 1... not 1+1+1=3

John 10:30 I and My Father are one."

*Theres that one thing again.

John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

*How can God dwell in anyone? He is perfect.. So that must mean that Jesus was perfect... who is perfect but God?

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

*Hmm the Holy Spirit is a HE...

*Jesus resurrected Lazarus...Only God has power over death

Matthew 2:2 saying, "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him."

Matthew 2:11 And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

*He was being worshipped as a baby dont you think it odd that Mary or Joseph would allow this if it wasnt acceptable they were righteous people if you remember.

Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.' "

*Jesus telling Satan that only God is to be worshipped...hmm what does that mean then?

Matthew 8:2 And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean."

*hmm why would Jesus not tell this man not to worship Him if it wasnt acceptable?

Matthew 9:18 While He spoke these things to them, behold, a ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, "My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hand on her and she will live."

* or this man...

Matthew 14:33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."

*or these people...

Matthew 15:25 Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, help me!"

*or this woman...

Matthew 28:9 And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, "Rejoice!" So they came and held Him by the feet and worshiped Him.

*hmm or these people

Get the point?

hmmm, well I am a big time bible believing Christian, but I do not believe in the trinity. I believe there are two in the Godhead. God & Jesus. One God the Father & one Son, the man Christ Jesus.
Jesus is at the very top & no one gets to the Father without going through Jesus...that is just the way it is.

So I can assure you that Chritianity will indeed stand without stating it is the basic tenet of a Christians faith. There are millions of saints today who do not believe in 3/1 & they are just as spirit filled.

I can also assure you dailogue is the best, that unless someone is willing to at least try & understand what someone else believes concerning this, it is a waste of time to even discuss it with each other, trying to prove one belief is right & all the others are wrong, creating doctrine(s). IMO

However, I love & respect those who believe in the trinity, or the twoity, or the oneity.:)

dailogue is the best said:
And this belief is so shameful and disgraceful, for begetting is done through sexual experience which is necessary both in animals’ and man’s worlds (Deedat, The Debate of the Century, 91).

Ok so you are saying that God is limited in what he can do...If he created this body out of dirt(clay) then Im pretty sure he can do whatever he wants to it without having to have sexual intercourse which is what it sounds like you are implying.

Quotes from the Quran to a Christian are not the best thing to try to persuade us we are wrong!!!

dialogue is the best said:
All the facts prove that Jesus is just a man and has no divine characteristics. The Quran tells us that there is no one like God: "And there is none like unto Him (112: 4)."
Yet the Bible shows different in a few quotes:
Joh 10:30I and my Father are one.
Joh 10:38But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
Joh 12:45And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
Joh 5:23That all men should honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He that honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father which hath sent him.
I could go on and on but space is limited .:rolleyes:

dialogue is the best said:
Moses, for instance, "is greater than Jesus because he put life back into a dead stick and transmuted it from the plant kingdom to the animal kingdom by making it into a serpent (Exodus 7. 10) (qtd.in Deedat, Christ in Islam, 92)

Sorry but I actually dont even consider turning a stick into a snake in the same ballpark as raising the dead. And actually the snake turned back into a stick.

Just a couple more thoughts:
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: That was spoken by Jesus himself seems like he knew their were three distinct personas.

2Co 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. That is from the second epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians so seems like the idea that the Trinity appeared in the 3rd or 4th century is bogus.

There are at least 58 texts that mention the trinity I am not going to list them all here.
Divine Titles they have shared.
The Father mentioned as God Deut 32:6; Ps 89:26; Isa 63:16; 64:8; Mal 1:6; 2:10; Mt 6:9; Jn 6:27; Gal 1:1-3; Eph 4:6; 5:20; 6:23; Phil 1:2; 2:11; 4:20; Col 3:17; The Son mentioned as God Gen 19:24; Ps 45:7; Isa 7:14; 9:6; Zech 12:10 Mt 1:23; Jn 1:1; 5:18; 20:28; Acts 20:28; Rom 9:5; Phil 2:6-7; Col 2:9; 1 Tim 3:16; Titus 2:14; Heb 1:8-9; 2 Pet 1:1; 1 Jn 5:20 The Holy Spirit mentioned as God Hag 2:5; Mt 12:28; Lk 11:20; Acts 5:3-4; 1 Cor 12:6,11,18; 2 Cor 3:17.

And that list could go on and on if we include other titles they share including YHWH, Lord, Mighty God, A Stone, The Rock, I AM, Alpha & Omega, First & Last, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Shepard.
Divine Traits they share:
Eternal, Self-exitent, Omnipresence, Omnipotence, Omniscience, Majestic Glory, Incomprehensible, Holy, Truth, Good, Unchangeable, Preeminent, Unique.

Divine Functions shared by Father and Son:
Creator, Redeemer, Savior, Calms the storm, Fills the hungrey soul, Just, Accepts worship, every knee bows, prayed to, source of life, sanctifies, forgives sin

Personality and Character ascribed to the three:
Inspires Scripture, Speaks, has a mind, a will and makes management decisions directing others for divine purpose, hope, joy, fellowship,loves, loving, grace, Who Gives the Christian the Words to Speak, lied to, bears witness, compasionate, comforts, grieves, insulted, blasphemed, abides, Jealous, faithful, peace, intercedes.

Also how do you explain the multiple verses that have more than 1 personality in them such as for an example: Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven," (Genesis 19:24)

So it seems that where the Quran denys the trinity if you actually dig the Bible supports it.

Dor said:

Sorry but I actually dont even consider turning a stick into a snake in the same ballpark as raising the dead. And actually the snake turned back into a stick.
LOL. (turned back into a stick)
& the axe head did swim, & there was oil & flour forever, just from sharing one little cake.

Dialogue_is_best, I am wondering why you haven't responded to posts made on "Islam's view about Jesus' cruxification and the idea of salvation" and even on this thread?

It is OK to participate in a thread you create!!! You don't seem to have been banned. The posts on this thread or the other thread don't record it.

So what do I believe about the Trinity?

I believe God is one and is a Unity, however, I do believe in the Trinity.

Although I don't believe that believing in the concept of the Trinity by dogma is essential to reaching God's kingdom, I do believe that it is essential to believe in it by sentiment. What do I mean "by sentiment?"

Imagine a world where the word, "love" didn't exist. Suppose a man and woman fall in love. They know they're in love but they can't explain it because there's no word for it. Does that mean they don't love each other? Of course not!!!! The emotion is there but the word just doesn't exist.

They don't love each other by words or dogma. They love each other by sentiment. It's like saying that your son's wife is your daughter-in-law rather than your daughter-in-love. It's a legally-binding relationship.

Dogma is something legally binding. I think the problem is religious leaders in past ages defining right and wrong by doctrine, dogma and ideology rather than sentiment.

This is how I see the Trinity.

The Trinity is merely a way of expressing the following three properties of God.

dialogue_is_best, I hope this might answer your question.

1. He is the One and Only (Ultimate) Source of holiness and righteousness: The Father

By discovering Him, we find the only perfect peace, holiness and righteousness. This comes from only one Source.

Love, patience, kindness, generosity, humility, honesty and truthfulness come from God. God is like a fountain of holy water. Those who drink from this fountain have their lives transformed by goodness.

Whoever loves is a child of God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

Murderers cease to be murderers, thieves stop stealing and start working to make a living. Liars cease telling lies. Whoever drinks from the Source is able to stop doing evil.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that a murderer does not have eternal life in him. 1 John 3:15

Whoever does not love is still under the power of death. 1 John 3:14

He is a child of God and no longer lives in darkness.

Whoever is a child of God does not continue to sin, for God's very nature is in him, and because God is his Father (Source), he cannot continue to sin. 1 John 3:9

2. He can reveal Himself in His One and Only (Ultimate) Word (The Son).

There is only one Word of God. It's God's own Word. God's Revelation of Himself.

God's Revelation was the goodness that comes from the fountain of holy water, the water that comes from Himself. That is why God is a Revelation of Himself. This was the water that transformed lives and turned evil-doers to people who devoted themselves to a good cause. It was the water that allowed people to turn away from evil.

We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14

Word of God, the Ultimate Revelation, was seen as the glory of this holy water.

The Word of God is the Truth that has been a secret from the beginning and is begotten by God because God begets the Truth.

3. He is a Spirit, the One and Only (Ultimate) Holy Spirit.

There is no other Holy Spirit, God alone is the Holy Spirit. He is the only incorruptible Spirit and only He is perfectly immune from evil.

This life-giving water was the Holy Spirit. Those who drink it will no longer have to live their lives in darkness.

Anyone who believes all this or lives on these unspoken notions has already believed in the Trinity. They may not believe in the dogma, but their sentiment leads them to God.

The purpose of Scripture is not to give us doctrine, dogma or ideology, but to lead us to the Word of God, which came from God, the Source.

It's not God revealing Himself in three forms, but God revealing Himself in only one form -- by showing us the essential elements of His character and personality, He acts as a Source, a Revelation of Himself, and an incorruptible Spirit. It is one God acting as one indivisible entity.

How was all that?

Saltmeister said:
Dialogue_is_best, I am wondering why you haven't responded to posts made on "Islam's view about Jesus' cruxification and the idea of salvation" and even on this thread?

It is OK to participate in a thread you create!!! You don't seem to have been banned. The posts on this thread or the other thread don't record it.

It's unfortunate that we do tend to experience a number of Muslims who join simply to try and attack Christian beliefs - though we can sometimes try and turn them over to constructive discussion, once it is clear that proselytising is not acceptable here, they tend to drift off if not banned.

Saltmeister said:
Dogma is something legally binding. I think the problem is religious leaders in past ages defining right and wrong by doctrine, dogma and ideology rather than sentiment.

1. He is the One and Only (Ultimate) Source of holiness and righteousness: The Father

2. He can reveal Himself in His One and Only (Ultimate) Word (The Son).

There is only one Word of God. It's God's own Word. God's Revelation of Himself.

It's not God revealing Himself in three forms, but God revealing Himself in only one form -- by showing us the essential elements of His character and personality, He acts as a Source, a Revelation of Himself, and an incorruptible Spirit. It is one God acting as one indivisible entity.

How was all that?

Saltmeister, i think that was fantastic. it gets right to the heart of the matter without all the dogma, doctrine & fighting attached. i enjoyed & appreciate that post a lot!
thank you:)

I said:
It's unfortunate that we do tend to experience a number of Muslims who join simply to try and attack Christian beliefs - though we can sometimes try and turn them over to constructive discussion, once it is clear that proselytising is not acceptable here, they tend to drift off if not banned.

The Qur'an is clear about not making partners with God. And it also clearly states that neither Muhammed nor Jesus is the progeny of God.

Islam, however, shares with all religions a "trinity" concept. In each of the revealed religions there is a Gift (the Holy Spirit, Enlightenment - the Message), a Receiver of the Gift (the Prophet, Manifestation - the Messenger), and the Giver of the Gift (God, the Creator - the Revealer).

So the "trinity" is a valid concept in all religions. It is interesting to note that the words of Christ in the Gospel make no claim that matches the Nicean Council's Creed, or even claims Jesus was the progeny of God. In the society and faith of Jesus' origin all human beings are the "sons" and "daughters" of God. Jesus seems to have put more emphasis on a claim to be the "Son of Man", than the son of God.

Regards,

Scott

Dor said:
Ok so you are saying that God is limited in what he can do...If he created this body out of dirt(clay) then Im pretty sure he can do whatever he wants to it without having to have sexual intercourse which is what it sounds like you are implying.

Quotes from the Quran to a Christian are not the best thing to try to persuade us we are wrong!!!

Yet the Bible shows different in a few quotes:
Joh 10:30I and my Father are one.
Joh 10:38But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
Joh 12:45And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
Joh 5:23That all men should honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He that honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father which hath sent him.
I could go on and on but space is limited .:rolleyes:

i'm sure our friend knew the snake turned back into a stick. not through the stick's or Moses' power, through God's.

Much we read in our scriptures is someone's translation from the original text. In islam there are, and i speak under correction (i am a new revert), two translators. chosen because of their trustworthiness, sincerity, dedication and love. so just two translators worldwide.
And the Book in its original arabic... which is why muslims learn to read, write, speak and understand the language. To understand the Book in its original form of revelation.

Most differences in opinion are diferences in translation and as we all know, words can have so many meanings/connotations if not viewed within the context of the sentence or what is actually meant/being said.

But you know what. As long as we live good, honest lives; following the teachings of Jesus(pbuh) and whatever other prophets we can learn from; why are people fighting?
The life of Jesus(pbuh) is an example we all need to imitate.

We, humans in this earth, need all the guidance we can get. You don't like the example Muhammed(pbuh) set in living his life.... that's your perogative. No-one is here to force anything down anyones throat. All the prophets are revered. But man, God is all powerful, merciful, loving, graceful ....

I don't think that this thread is meant to attack christians in any way. just putting a different point of view across. what's wrong with challenging another person if done with sincerity?

Let's not allow our beliefs to narrow our hearts. or ability to discuss in an ungraceful manner.

As long as you are content and convinced in your faith, what is there to get heated about?

Peace to all....

This is more to a question rather than Islamic view on the trinity. I would like to pose some arguments and a question about the trinity referring to the Bible it self.....

John 14:9 : Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

John 14:10 : Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Then refer to this...
John 17:23 : I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Notice that there is a phrase "I in them". The word "them" is referred to the disciples of Jesus and "I" refers God. So the the word "I" and the word "them" means that God is with the disciples. If you believe in the unison of The Father and Jesus, you also ought believe the unison of The Father with all the 12 disciples. So it's not only Jesus and the Holy Spirit is one with The Father but also the 12 disciples...not just 3 in 1 but 15 in 1. Based on this contradiction which is the correct one, 3 becomes 1 or 15 becomes 1.
John 14:9 & 10 seems to match each other...but John 17:23 is a bit different

Question: Does John 17:23 contradicts John 14:9 & 14:10 and thus contradicts the concept of trinity?

Peace...

n4h1z said:
Peace to all....

This is more to a question rather than Islamic view on the trinity. I would like to pose some arguments and a question about the trinity referring to the Bible it self.....

John 14:9 : Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

John 14:10 : Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Then refer to this...
John 17:23 : I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Notice that there is a phrase "I in them". The word "them" is referred to the disciples of Jesus and "I" refers God. So the the word "I" and the word "them" means that God is with the disciples. If you believe in the unison of The Father and Jesus, you also ought believe the unison of The Father with all the 12 disciples. So it's not only Jesus and the Holy Spirit is one with The Father but also the 12 disciples...not just 3 in 1 but 15 in 1. Based on this contradiction which is the correct one, 3 becomes 1 or 15 becomes 1.
John 14:9 & 10 seems to match each other...but John 17:23 is a bit different

Question: Does John 17:23 contradicts John 14:9 & 14:10 and thus contradicts the concept of trinity?

Peace...

I don't think it is contradictory. I see it as a way of saying that we live in God and that God lives in us. We and God are still separate beings, but we are held together because of God's love for us and our love for Him. It's not talking about the 12 disciples, but all of God's people.

John 17:20: I pray not only for them, but also for those who believe in me because of their message. I pray that they may all be one.

This refers to everybody that believes in Christ.

The verses you listed above, I believe, explain how God Himself is the Temple we live in, and we are the temple that He lives in. Christ is the cornerstone (foundation) of that Temple.

Come as living stones, and let yourselves be used in building the spiritual temple, where you will serve as holy priests to offer spiritual and acceptable sacrifices to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:5

You, too, are built upon the foundation laid by the apostles and prophets, the cornerstone being Christ Jesus himself. He is the one who holds the whole building together and makes it grow into a sacred temple dedicated to the Lord. In union with him you too are being built with all the others into a place where God lives through his Spirit. Ephesians 2:20-22

I think the verses above are more about togetherness than unity.

Perhaps another thing you might like to know is that Jesus, the Son of God, or Christ, is the Christian concept of God's Word. Christ is God's Word living in us. That's why it says "I in them."

While we live in God, but are still separate beings from God, the Word is one with God. The Word (Christ) is in God, but God is also in the Word because the Word is God's Revelation of Himself. God is the Source (Father) of the Word. God and His Word being one I believe is a concept that comes from this verse rather than the ones you listed above:

Before the world was created, the Word already existed; He was with God, and He was the same as God. John 1:1

I think this is the verse that actually suggests unity of God and His Word (Christ) which is also the Son of God.

Back