verse numbers please

dayaa

Reaction score
hello everyone
i know i'm being a real pain here but i heard that there are (maybe 45?) prophesies in the old testament concerning the messiah. i don't suppose someone could give me the chapter and verse references for these could they?
no need to quote the quotes, i can look them up for myself....it's just that being a bit unfamiliar with the bible it'll take me forever to find them for myself. if this is asking too much, could you possibly suggest a site where this information is available.
feeling sheepish again:eek:

you are not being a pain dayaa, couldn't say exactly how many more Jesus fulfilled but here are some to get you started.

now, i did not go through all of them to make sure they are correct, but most of them they give here, looked right as I glanced through it.

:) http://www.biblestudyplanet.com/says14.htm

Hi dayaa, and Peace--

I am working furiously to finish a project; otherwise I would write more. But for now, I will send you another site that might be helpful as well:

http://www.aboutbibleprophecy.com/about.htm

No need to apologize for asking an appropriate question on the appropriate board. I appreciate the way you ask your questions. I only hope I am as respectful as you are when I make inquiries!:)

InPeace,
InLove

Hello Again, dayaa, and Peace to All Here--

I am still working on that project, but during my research this afternoon on it, I ran across the following link. The one I sent you before is put together by both Catholics and Protestants. This one is from the Protestant viewpoint alone. Often, Christianity is confusing to non-Christians (as well as Christians, sometimes:)) because there is a bit of dichotemy involved in the differing ways of worship.

Anyway, if you are interested, the link I discovered today is a series of Bible Scripture study that I find quite helpful in trying to write about certain things (like Messianic prophecy). You will need to download "realplayer" if you don't already have it.

I have not listened to all the segments, but the ones I have investigated seem to be a good source of the Protestant viewpoint. Please keep in mind that they do not, however, include commentaries on the books of the Apocrypha, which are included in the Catholic canon--(to my Catholic friends, please forgive me if I did not say that right?)

If you do decide to check it out, I also hope you keep in mind that there may be comparisons made between different belief systems in the world--I have run across one, and I don't know how many more might be there. I guess I just wanted to warn you about that. Still--I believe it is a good resource for examining Scripture.

The commentary on Leviticus was what I found today in connection with my project, and I was kind of surprised to find that it might be helpful to you in connection with Messianic prophecy--LOL--Leviticus is definitely not a book that usual comes to mind when thinking about prophecy, so I found it interesting.

So, here is the link:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1118004883-7284.html

Maybe this will be helpful.

InPeace,
InLove

dayaa said:
hello everyone
i know i'm being a real pain here but i heard that there are (maybe 45?) prophesies in the old testament concerning the messiah. i don't suppose someone could give me the chapter and verse references for these could they?
no need to quote the quotes, i can look them up for myself....it's just that being a bit unfamiliar with the bible it'll take me forever to find them for myself. if this is asking too much, could you possibly suggest a site where this information is available.
feeling sheepish again:eek:
As per your request Dayaa:

Born in Bethlehem Micah 5:2 National Identity & Authority will not end until the Messiah comes Genesis 49:10 Messiah will have a ministry in Galilee Isaiah 9:1,2 Messiah will have a ministry of miracles Isaiah 35:5, 6; 42:7; 53:4 Messiah will preach good news to poor, encourage the brokenhearted, …. Isaiah 61:1 Rejection by Jews & Gentiles Ps 2:1-2; Ps 118:22-23 Messiah would be persecuted Isaiah 49:7; Isaiah 53:3 Triumphal entry into Jerusalem on a donkey Zechariah 9:9Zeal for God’s house would consume Him Psalms 69:9 Betrayal by close friend Psalms 41:9; 55:12-13 Betrayal for 30 pieces of Silver Zechariah 11:12 Purchase of the Potter’s Field with 30 pieces of Silver Zechariah 11:13Desertion of the disciples Zechariah 13:7Silent under accusation Is 53:7 Mocking Ps 22:7, 8Hands and Feet Pierced Ps 22:16 Patience under suffering Is 53:7Crucified Ps 22:14 Offer of gall and vinegar Ps 69:21Cries upon the Cross Ps 22:1Death with the wicked and transgressorsIsaiah 53:9, Isaiah 53:12 Casting of lots for His garments Ps 22:18 Bones not broken Ps 34:20 Pierced Ps 22:16, Zechariah 12:10Suffered for us, suffered in our place Is 53:4-6 Born of a virgin Is 7:14Messiah will have a forerunner Is 40:3; Malachi 3:1; Malachi4:5Buried with RichIs 53:9Specific time of arrival Dan 9:24

[Edit by I, Brian - invalid javascript formating removed]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]The Old Testament verses are the prophecy; the New Testament verses proclaim the fulfillment. Check them all out for yourself! [/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]
  • Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:21-23)
  • A descendant of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; 22:18; Matthew 1:1; Galatians 3:16)
  • Of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10; Luke 3:23, 33; Hebrews 7:14)
  • Of the house of David (2 Samuel 7:12-16; Matthew 1:1)
  • Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7)
  • Taken to Egypt (Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:14-15)
  • Herod´s killing of the infants (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16-18)
  • Anointed by the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Matthew 3:16-17)
  • Heralded by the messenger of the Lord (John the Baptist) (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:1-3)
  • Would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 9:35)
  • Would preach good news (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:14-21)
  • Would minister in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1; Matthew 4:12-16)
  • Would cleanse the Temple (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 21:12-13)
  • Would first present Himself as King 173,880 days from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25; Matthew 21:4-11)
  • Would enter Jerusalem as a king on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:4-9)
  • Would be rejected by Jews (Psalm 118:22; I Peter 2:7)
  • Die a humiliating death (Psalm 22; Isaiah 53) involving:
    - rejection (Isaiah 53:3; John 1:10-11; 7:5,48)
    - betrayal by a friend (Psalm 41:9; Luke 22:3-4; John 13:18)
    - sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:14-15)
    - silence before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:12-14)
    - being mocked (Psalm 22: 7-8; Matthew 27:31)
    - beaten (Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26)
    - spit upon (Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:30)
    - piercing His hands and feet (Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:31)
    - being crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:38)
    - praying for His persecutors (Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34)
    - piercing His side (Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34)
    - given gall and vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21, Matthew 27:34, Luke 23:36)
    - no broken bones (Psalm 34:20; John 19:32-36)
    - buried in a rich man´s tomb (Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60)
    - casting lots for His garments (Psalm 22:18; John 19:23-24)
  • Would rise from the dead!! (Psalm 16:10; Mark 16:6; Acts 2:31)
  • Ascend into Heaven (Psalm 68:18; Acts 1:9)
  • Would sit down at the right hand of God (Psalm 110:1; Hebrews 1:3)
[/font]

Hello, and Peace, All You Lovely People--

Thanks, Bandit, Dor and Quahom for your input--LOL--this is not even my thread, but I did so hope that dayaa would recieve some good references.

Q --I hope (and pretty well know by now) that you and some others here were not offended by my clumsy use of words in trying to make sure that dayaa understands that there is a little bit of difference between the Catholic and Protestant "take" on things. But I figure dayaa is pretty perceptive and sincere, and already knows this.

LOL--I just try to be so careful--I guess this forum falls into the category of "virtual communication"? But it is oh so real to me!:)

InPeace,
InLove

hello everyone
thanks for all the information provided. it's a bit late tonight, but i will come back with my bible and mark off all the relevant passages for further study.
talking about this place being "real".....i am so happy here....it's the best place i've been in a long time, virtual or real! i feel all people here are my friends even if sometimes there are some disagreements.

something else i wanted to ask please (by the way, yes i am aware of differences between catholic and protestant)......but what worries me more is the difference between jew and christian.:confused: can you please explain why do christians use their own translations of the old testament rather than the jewish translations of the tanakh. isn't it the same?
thank you
and best wishes to all:)

InLove said:
...Q --I hope (and pretty well know by now) that you and some others here were not offended by my clumsy use of words in trying to make sure that dayaa understands that there is a little bit of difference between the Catholic and Protestant "take" on things. But I figure dayaa is pretty perceptive and sincere, and already knows this.

LOL--I just try to be so careful--I guess this forum falls into the category of "virtual communication"? But it is oh so real to me!:)

InPeace,
InLove
;) from my perspective the only differences are in the trappings packaging and politics. Jesus is my savior, so everything else is nice but not crucial.

v/r

Q

Back