Accepting Jesus...

Hi Jaiket, and Peace to All Here--

Yes, to become a Christian, one must accept Jesus as Savior. This is defined all through the New Testament. Are you looking for specific verses?

I have to log off for a while to do some work, but I will check back--in the meantime, I'm sure you will receive a myriad of replies.:)

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
Yes, to become a Christian, one must accept Jesus as Savior. This is defined all through the New Testament. Are you looking for specific verses?
If you can, yes it would be useful.

Cheers.

Jaiket said:
To be christian you must accept Jesus as your saviuor correct? Is this defined in the new testament?
Welcome Jaiket,

My thoughts: How do I become a Christian? Once you have asked all your questions, weighed all the evidence, and tested all the argumenents, you will ultimately be confronted with the basic question Jesus asked his own disciples in Matthew 16:15

"But who do you say that I am?"

Simon Peter replied" "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

What will be your reply?...your call.

v/r

Q

Yes you have to accept Christ as your saviour but I think the meaning of accept has been watered down a bit in the last 100 years

so let me explain what you must do to become a Christian
The Scriptures speak of "repentance unto life" (Acts 11:18). We turn from sin to the Savior. This is why Paul preached "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (Acts 20:21). The first public word Jesus preached was "repent" (Matthew 4:17). John the Baptist began his ministry the same way (Matthew 3:2). Jesus told His hearers that without repentance, they would perish (Luke 13:3).

If belief is all that is necessary for salvation, then the logical conclusion is that one need never repent. However, the Bible tells us that a false convert "believes" and yet is not saved (Luke 8:13); he remains a "worker of iniquity." Look at the warning of Scripture: "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth" (1 John 1:6). The Scriptures also say, "He that covers his sins shall not prosper, but whoso confesses and forsakes them [repentance] shall have mercy" (Proverbs 28:13). Jesus said that there was joy in heaven over one sinner who "repents" (Luke 15:10). If there is no repentance, there is no joy because there is no salvation.

When Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost, he commanded his hearers to repent "for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38). Without repentance, there is no remission of sins; we are still under His wrath. Peter further said, "Repent . . . and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out" (Acts 3:19). We cannot be "converted" unless we repent. God Himself "commands all men everywhere [leaving no exceptions] to repent" (Acts 17:30). Peter said a similar thing at Pentecost: "Repent, and be baptized every one of you" (Acts 2:38).

Jesus command that repentance be preached to all nations (Luke 24:47)? With so many Scriptures speaking of the necessity of repentance for salvation, one can only suspect that those who preach salvation without repentance are strangers to repentance themselves, and thus strangers to true conversion.

hope this helps

Stephen

mynameisstephen said:
Yes you have to accept Christ as your saviour but I think the meaning of accept has been watered down a bit in the last 100 years

so let me explain what you must do to become a Christian
The Scriptures speak of "repentance unto life" (Acts 11:18). We turn from sin to the Savior. This is why Paul preached "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (Acts 20:21). The first public word Jesus preached was "repent" (Matthew 4:17). John the Baptist began his ministry the same way (Matthew 3:2). Jesus told His hearers that without repentance, they would perish (Luke 13:3).

If belief is all that is necessary for salvation, then the logical conclusion is that one need never repent. However, the Bible tells us that a false convert "believes" and yet is not saved (Luke 8:13); he remains a "worker of iniquity." Look at the warning of Scripture: "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth" (1 John 1:6). The Scriptures also say, "He that covers his sins shall not prosper, but whoso confesses and forsakes them [repentance] shall have mercy" (Proverbs 28:13). Jesus said that there was joy in heaven over one sinner who "repents" (Luke 15:10). If there is no repentance, there is no joy because there is no salvation.

When Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost, he commanded his hearers to repent "for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38). Without repentance, there is no remission of sins; we are still under His wrath. Peter further said, "Repent . . . and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out" (Acts 3:19). We cannot be "converted" unless we repent. God Himself "commands all men everywhere [leaving no exceptions] to repent" (Acts 17:30). Peter said a similar thing at Pentecost: "Repent, and be baptized every one of you" (Acts 2:38).

Jesus command that repentance be preached to all nations (Luke 24:47)? With so many Scriptures speaking of the necessity of repentance for salvation, one can only suspect that those who preach salvation without repentance are strangers to repentance themselves, and thus strangers to true conversion.

hope this helps

Stephen
Not quite correct. One must first accept Jesus. Repentence comes later, at the dawning of understanding between man and the Lord. No conditions. Accept the Lord first, then the Lord reveals what must be attoned for. That is how He works. We put the exceptions to the rule in place, and that is wrong. That is why no one wants to become a Christian. We promise, then slam. That is not what Christ said. And it is not ours to determine when others must or may even be required to confess.

Whether Christ comes into our lives or not is not up to us (as observers), but to others (as recipients of His Grace). It is between Jesus and the individual. All things in their good time...

Go easy. ;)

v/r

Q

I believe truly accepting Jesus and then repenting goes hand in hand.. You would need to accept that He died on the cross for your sins and knowing that He made such a huge sacrifice for you.. of course you would repent. God leads us along like children.. baby steps. You arent born again and suddenly you are like this totally different person.. He works with you. Its very interesting to me how He changed me once I was born again... He dealt with the big stuff in my life..pruning branches and as my walk continued with Him He started showing me more things that werent bearing fruit...I sin without even knowing it and when I pray if something is unresolved He brings it to my mind so that I may repent and ask Him to help me.

A big part of praying is learning how to be still and listen to the Lord.

Sorry folks, I have completely forgotten what I was going to ask. Thanks for the replies.

While I try and and remeber where I was going can anyone give me a little lesson on why Jesus died for us? I understand that it is believed "he died for our sins". I don't understand what our sins are, and how Jesus alleviated them by dying.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this one.

Peace.

Jaiket said:
Sorry folks, I have completely forgotten what I was going to ask. Thanks for the replies.

While I try and and remeber where I was going can anyone give me a little lesson on why Jesus died for us? I understand that it is believed "he died for our sins". I don't understand what our sins are, and how Jesus alleviated them by dying.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this one.

Peace.
John 3:16 ;) That is a good start.

v/r

Q

our pastor said something really nice on this recently that helped me a lot.

he said, "We dont have to understand or be able to explain it all, we can start & stay in touch by speaking from our heart and saying...,

"Lord, I want to do better.":)

Why do we need Jesus?

We are born into sin! I'm assuming you know the story of Adam and Eve and the fall of man? (this is Found in Genesis 3) BibleGateway.com Passage Lookup

Ok this is a brief explanation in the book of romans:

Rom 5:12-19
12 Therefore, just as through one man (adam) sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned-- 13(For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him (Christ) who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's (Adam) offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one (Adam) who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man's (Adam) offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) 18 Therefore, as through one man's (Adam) offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's (Christ) righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man's (Adam) disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's (Christ) obedience many will be made righteous.
NKJV

When it speaks of disobedience it speaks of the fruit that Adam and Eve ate that God had told them not to eat, bringing death to all man. But when it speaks of obedience it speaks of Christ obedience all the way to the cross to be our ultimate sacrifice freeing us from sin, and the chains that binds us to this sinfull nature. Fullfilling the laws of Moses :

Matt 22:36-40
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" 37 Jesus said to him, " 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
NKJV

And fullfilling someone help me out here how many prophecies did Christ fullfill? And what are they saying the odds are of this happening? I'm thinking it was well over 150 prophecies, and the chances I believed someone said was over 1 and a million.

Kindest Regards, Jaiket!
Jaiket said:
can anyone give me a little lesson on why Jesus died for us? I understand that it is believed "he died for our sins". I don't understand what our sins are, and how Jesus alleviated them by dying.
Keep in mind that Christianity grew out of Judaism. In Judaism, sin was "covered" by the blood of sacrifice. A number of "clean" animals was used for this purpose, but the one of relevence to Christians is the lamb. Jesus gave his life as a perfect, unspotted, unblemished and therefore perfect sacrifice for the propitiation of sin. I noted the lamb for many reasons, but thte most significant at this moment is that Jesus died at the same point in time that the Jews were sacrificing the lambs for the ritual High Holy Day of Passover. Jesus "gave up the ghost" in the same hour the lambs were being ritually slaughtered for the forgiveness of the sins of the Jewish people in rememberance of the time when God's angel of death "passed over" them.

As to not knowing what sin is, I am inclined to believe you really do. I do not say this to be provocative. You know when you do wrong to others, unless you have no conscience. The question is whether or not you choose to learn from your mistakes?

Jesus "alleviated" our sins by providing a path of wisdom and understanding, if we choose to implement his advice in our daily lives. By doing what He asked, we save ourselves a lot of the grief, anguish, sorrow and guilt we tend to put on ourselves by not doing what we know better than to do, by not following our conscience.

Back