What about Hell...

Proph 1 said:
Is it a real place?
Scripture states that it is. On the Discovery Channel, there was a program, wherein people with near death experiences have told of the dark forboding, and the fear and pain they felt. They described it as just getting a taste of "hell", before they saw a brilliant pure light, and were warned that they must change their ways. What ever it was these "hardened" hearted people saw, certainly caused them to do a 180 when they were brought back to the present.

Bike gang members becoming preachers, slum landlords, giving everything away for charity, then spending their time as volunteers, wealthy lawyers, giving up their lucrative practice to do pro bono work (and not one of them expressed any regret in the change their lives took...

It may not be physically part of this plane of existence, but then neither is the spirit once it leaves the physical body.

I believe hell is a very real place, just as heaven is.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I believe hell is a very real place, just as heaven is.

v/r

Q
yes i do too because the bible & God does not lie. & i know 2 people who have entered it in life after death & i believe everything they said about it. but i am not going there because I love Him too much & i know He loves me!:)

Proph 1 said:
Is it a real place?
because hell is ( mankinds common grave ) then it must be a real place because mankind is in a dieing state and we all die and go to the grave .it is false religious leaders over the years who have given it a wrong interpretation and that led to people being misled, i wonder what the God of the bible thinks about that? those who claim to be teachers of Gods word but portraying God to be a God who burns people forever and ever i think God will get rid of false religious leaders who teach lies and i dont blame him God is love not evil....1john 4;8
For there is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust....Ecclesiastes3;19-20 are the dead conscious ?No they are not.

For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.....Ecclesiates 9;5

Human nature is repelled by hellfire, More important, God’s Word does not say that such a place exists. When a person dies, "he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish."—Psalm 146:4 i suppose it is the so called religious leaders not understanding the bible in the correct way againand they do like there power over people would you not agree?

I too believe that Hell is a literal place. In fact, Jesus himself talks about it more than anyone else in Scripture. Also, because I know that God is good and Just, he has a place of punishement.

Thanks for replying guys!

For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord romans 6; 23............no mention of everlasting hellfire there, only death.

(Genesis 2:17) But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die."​

(Ezekiel 18:4) Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul that is sinning—it itself will die............

Christianity is not the only religion to have a hell.

Most Buddhists believe in Hell as a realm into which one can be reborn in future lives, and it is every bit as real as this world (which is of course, not real at all)

The realitiy of Hell is So horrible, that rather than having us go there, Jesus took it for us. On the cross, he felt the equvent of hell so that we wont have to. DO NOT GO THERE!!!

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Matthew 18:8, 9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Mark 9:44 (speaking of hell), Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Jude 7, Sodom and Gomorrha...are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Matthew 22:13, ...Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 13:41-42, The Son of man (Jesus) shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Revelation 21:8, But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Psalm 9:17, The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Isaiah 14:99-11, 15 (referring to Lucifer), Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee...all they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee...thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. Daniel 12:2, And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and EVERLASTING contempt.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Christianity is not the only religion to have a hell.

Most Buddhists believe in Hell as a realm into which one can be reborn in future lives, and it is every bit as real as this world (which is of course, not real at all)
that explains why Jesus is on the throne of God & not Buddah . with this teaching of Buddhists we see a contradiction. Buddhists must not been real, so i do not listen to people who are not real.:)

Oh yea, hell is a real place.

For those of us who are highly spiritual - I mean, really in touch with the spirit world as we live with the flesh, day to day you probably already know which side of the spectrum you are on. Hell is the place where God does not dwell and we know when we have become distant from God.

Proph 1 said:
The realitiy of Hell is So horrible, that rather than having us go there, Jesus took it for us. On the cross, he felt the equvent of hell so that we wont have to. DO NOT GO THERE!!!

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Matthew 18:8, 9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Mark 9:44 (speaking of hell), Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Jude 7, Sodom and Gomorrha...are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Matthew 22:13, ...Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 13:41-42, The Son of man (Jesus) shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Revelation 21:8, But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Psalm 9:17, The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Isaiah 14:99-11, 15 (referring to Lucifer), Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee...all they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee...thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. Daniel 12:2, And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and EVERLASTING contempt.
no disrespect,but for someone as your self who is aware of what the bible says , i would have thought that you wouldhave realized that the bible and Jesus sayings regarding hellfire are totally symbolic it never ceases to amaze me that people are led to believe evil thingsare from God ,when he himself is a God of LOVE.In fact evil things do not even come up into his heart
Definition: The word "hell" is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read "the grave," "the world of the dead," and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered "hell"; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl´ and its Greek equivalent hai´des, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind; also the Greek ge´en·na, which is used as a symbol of eternal destruction. However, both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment)..............do you honestly think that a God of love would do that , how on earth could an honest hearted person be drawn to love a God that was evil . those sort of things are not Good in the eyes of the true God Jehovah .the bible tells us what sort of God Jehovah is when it comes to evil things . here is just one example of what he things about burning people in litral fire

Jer. 7:31: "They [apostate Judeans] have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart." (If it never came into God’s heart, surely he does not have and use such a thing on a larger scale.)

Illustration: What would you think of a parent who held his child’s hand over a fire to punish the child for wrongdoing? "God is love." (1 John 4:8) Would he do what no right-minded human parent would do? Certainly not

Maybe you're right, and I'm the one wrong. I dont think Im wrong, but I could be! That said, do you think that Jesus would talk so much about something that isnt real? I mean, he did talk about hell more than anyone else in scripture. Also, you said it yourself - "God is love." I totally agree. Here's a question:

Do you think God should punish a man who rapes and murders people?

Or how about this:

Do you think God is good and Loving enough to seek out justice? Do you think a "good and LOVING God" would allow evil deeds to go unpunished? I dont know Mee, God did say vengance is his, and many evil men die without ever seeing "vengance" on earth. Do they just cease to exist? Help me to please understand your point of view!

Jesus once said:

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched'' (Mark 9:43-48).

This is what I dont get. If hell is NOT a real place, why is Jesus so sincere about it. I mean, he is warning people NOT to go there. If your soul is just going to cease to exist, why even say things like: "If you right eye offends you, pluck it out because its better to be blind in one eye, than to have both eyes in hell?"

See what Im saying Mee?

Proph 1 said:
Maybe you're right, and I'm the one wrong. I dont think Im wrong, but I could be! That said, do you think that Jesus would talk so much about something that isnt real? I mean, he did talk about hell more than anyone else in scripture. Also, you said it yourself - "God is love." I totally agree. Here's a question:

Do you think God should punish a man who rapes and murders people?

Or how about this:

Do you think God is good and Loving enough to seek out justice? Do you think a "good and LOVING God" would allow evil deeds to go unpunished? I dont know Mee, God did say vengance is his, and many evil men die without ever seeing "vengance" on earth. Do they just cease to exist? Help me to please understand your point of view!
the fact is the people of the time that were listening to jesus ,were quite aware of what the words meant at that time, that is why we should get to the correct meaning of words such as (Gehenna) (sheol)(hades)it is only in later times that a false meaning has been applied to those words ,so if a person really wants to get to the bottom of what jesus meant do research and find out . when the correct meaning is applied there is no contradiction . also the bible says that the wages of sin is death
For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord...Romans 6;23so it is not what i think , but God is the judge he is not leaving bad deeds unpunished because if a person has a bad heart then that person will not get everlasting life ,only death .that is the exact opposite of life so that is punishment in the end.remember that God will even give bad people, who have died , another chance to live a good life when the resurrection of those in Jehovahs memory are resurrected on to the earth in the future.it says in John 5;28-29 that the rightous and the unrightous will be in his memory so if they listen to the new scrolls even unrightus ones will have the chance of everlasting life but the rightous will not be resurrected to judgement but to everlasting life because they have already died faithful.any way i think i have gone off track a bit this is about Hell not the resurrection:) the word Gehenna means
Historical background: The Valley of Hinnom (Gehenna) was outside the walls of Jerusalem. For a time it was the site of idolatrous worship, including child sacrifice. In the first century Gehenna was being used as the incinerator for the filth of Jerusalem. Bodies of dead animals were thrown into the valley to be consumed in the fires, to which sulfur, or brimstone, was added to assist the burning. Also bodies of executed criminals, who were considered undeserving of burial in a memorial tomb, were thrown into Gehenna. Thus, at Matthew 5:29, 30, Jesus spoke of the casting of one’s "whole body" into Gehenna. If the body fell into the constantly burning fire it was consumed, but if it landed on a ledge of the deep ravine its putrefying flesh became infested with the ever-present worms, or maggots. (Mark 9:47, 48) Living humans were not pitched into Gehenna; so it was not a place of conscious torment.............so jesus was using illustations and examples he did not mean that people would be thrown in alive ,but the people knew that this meant total destructionbecause only dead people went in there.

the fact is the people of the time that were listening to jesus ,were quite aware of what the words meant at that time, that is why we should get to the correct meaning of words such as (Gehenna) (sheol)(hades)it is only in later times that a false meaning has been applied to those words ,so if a person really wants to get to the bottom of what jesus meant do research and find out .
Oh...you mean like an idiom, right? If so, I agree and see that the Bible uses these idioms to describe certian things, including hell. The nature of hell is spiritual not physical, and God used physical symbols to describe by representation something that is otherwise impossible. That said, I believe it is obvious that Jesus was speaking about a litteral place, especially when considering his extreme teaching on the subject. Note his parable of Lazarus who was fully conscious of his surrundings.

Also, you mentioned the different words used to describe Hell in the Bible and gave some historical meanings. Yet, I wonder if you understand its meanings? The Hebrew Sheol, and the Greek Hades, are not the grave as you may believe. The grave is where the body goes. Sheol and Hades is where the departed spirits go. (For this brief discussion, we'll regard them as equivalent.) Gehenna, however, is their final disposition. Hades is cast into Gehenna at the end. (In fact, their topology appears to be opposites: Hades is presented as geocentric; Gehenna is in "the outer darkness.")

Also I say again. It is significant that Jesus spoke much more about "Hell" than He did about Heaven. The very concept of the need for a Savior presupposes the avoidance of the otherwise certain destiny of desolation and eternal punishment. The good news is that you and I are the beneficiaries of a love letter: a letter written in blood on a wooden cross erected in Judea about two thousand years ago and which is the fulcrum of all history and the entire universe. The crucifixion was not a tragedy: it was a crowning achievement. His achievement makes it possible to avoid an otherwise certain destiny.

so it is not what i think , but God is the judge he is not leaving bad deeds unpunished because if a person has a bad heart then that person will not get everlasting life ,only death .that is the exact opposite of life so that is punishment in the end.

Ok so a person like Hitler just simple ceases to exist? Where's the punishment for his crimes? Dont you think if you're right, he got off kind of easy?

Proph 1 said:
Oh...you mean like an idiom, right? If so, I agree and see that the Bible uses these idioms to describe certian things, including hell. The nature of hell is spiritual not physical, and God used physical symbols to describe by representation something that is otherwise impossible. That said, I believe it is obvious that Jesus was speaking about a litteral place, especially when considering his extreme teaching on the subject. Note his parable of Lazarus who was fully conscious of his surrundings.

Also, you mentioned the different words used to describe Hell in the Bible and gave some historical meanings. Yet, I wonder if you understand its meanings? The Hebrew Sheol, and the Greek Hades, are not the grave as you may believe. The grave is where the body goes. Sheol and Hades is where the departed spirits go. (For this brief discussion, we'll regard them as equivalent.) Gehenna, however, is their final disposition. Hades is cast into Gehenna at the end. (In fact, their topology appears to be opposites: Hades is presented as geocentric; Gehenna is in "the outer darkness.")

Also I say again. It is significant that Jesus spoke much more about "Hell" than He did about Heaven. The very concept of the need for a Savior presupposes the avoidance of the otherwise certain destiny of desolation and eternal punishment. The good news is that you and I are the beneficiaries of a love letter: a letter written in blood on a wooden cross erected in Judea about two thousand years ago and which is the fulcrum of all history and the entire universe. The crucifixion was not a tragedy: it was a crowning achievement. His achievement makes it possible to avoid an otherwise certain destiny.

Ok so a person like Hitler just simple ceases to exist? Where's the punishment for his crimes? Dont you think if you're right, he got off kind of easy?
anyone who does not get everlasting life has been punished ,thats good enough for me, i dont need to think that anyone is going to suffer. as long as they are out the way why bother with them any longer . those enjoying everlasting life will have to many good things in life to even think about them.

mee said:
anyone who does not get everlasting life has been punished ,thats good enough for me, i dont need to think that anyone is going to suffer. as long as they are out the way why bother with them any longer . those enjoying everlasting life will have to many good things in life to even think about them.
Man, that sucks! If there is no eternal punishent, then God is not a good God. How can he be just if there is no justice? You're basically saying that evil men can do whatever they want in this life, because they'll just cease to exist when they die. So go ahead and sin all you want, you'll just die and cease to exist.

Thats just what Satan wants us to think!

mee said:
Though God is a merciful God, He is also a Just God, and no good judge lets the guilty go free of punishment. Or else He would have no business being a judge.

God made no mistake that He will judge man...there is no easy out.

v/r

Q

Anyone who has been so close to God that they have felt like they can reach out and touch his face knows what it is to be distant from him as well. There is no peace when you are distant from God. Those who have never been very close would not know of the peace. Those who have experienced that peace will do whatever is necessary to maintain it and are very careful to understand the boundaries. To be in the presence; peace, love, protection, security - of God and then look around and it's gone, is hell. All the things symbolically described in Revelation - for eternity!
God need not waste more time on pointing out to you where to go because in the midst of the darkness, you wouldn't be able to see.

truthseeker said:
Anyone who has been so close to God that they have felt like they can reach out and touch his face knows what it is to be distant from him as well. There is no peace when you are distant from God. Those who have never been very close would not know of the peace. Those who have experienced that peace will do whatever is necessary to maintain it and are very careful to understand the boundaries. To be in the presence; peace, love, protection, security - of God and then look around and it's gone, is hell. All the things symbolically described in Revelation - for eternity!
God need not waste more time on pointing out to you where to go because in the midst of the darkness, you wouldn't be able to see.
That is a good point. However, I think there is much more to this than just being without God. Our spirits are after all, immortal...

v/r

Q

Back