The Law of God

Proph 1

Reaction score
Why is the Law so important?

The Law was made for the purpose of showing people that they arent good and that they need a Savior.

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. --Gal. 3:24

You see, we all can do good, and thats great! But, our good works will not negate the fact that we're law brakers and indepted to the Law.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.--1John 3:4

All have broken God's laws, and all are guilty!

What shall we say then? [Is] the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.--Romans 7:7

If we realize that we've broken God's Laws, we'll have come to the understanding that we're guilty before a good and Holy God. We'll see that our good works cant save us, cause the good works wont take away the fact that we have already broken the laws. Well, what hope do we have of eternal life then?

Obviously, the law applies to those to whom it was given, for its purpose is to keep people from having excuses and to bring the entire world into judgment before God. For no one can ever be made right in God's sight by doing what his law commands. For the more we know God's law, the clearer it becomes that we aren't obeying it.--Romans 3:19-20

Here's the truth (according to the Bible):

For God so loved us that he sent his Son [Jesus], to pay the price of the law breakers. We broke the Laws, and Jesus paid the fine. Now we may go free on the ground that our debt has been paid. If we come to Christ broken over our sin and trust in him, he will begin a change in us that will result in us becoming conformed into his image. Whats more, we'll have eternal life because of his righteousness and sacrifice. All this will be understood once a person sees themselves in light of God's Perfect Law.

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. --[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Psalm 19:7 [/font]

The Grace of God is also clearly evident. And it is as clear back as the Old testament, when GOD took back Israel.

Law is for lawyers. Grace is for the rest of us.

I suggest you consider something else to talk about, since we are fed up with law. (it has been coming out of our ears).

The sermon on the mount would be nice. What is your take on that? ;)

v/r

Q

I praise God for his grace because it is his Grace that saves us, not the Law. The Law condemn us. It is the Law of God that allows us to appriciate God's Grace. In other words, it is the law that condemns us and leads us to see the cure of our sin sickness -- Jesus.

Proph 1 said:
I praise God for his grace because it is his Grace that saves us, not the Law. The Law condemn us. It is the Law of God that allows us to appriciate God's Grace. In other words, it is the law that condemns us and leads us to see the cure of our sin sickness -- Jesus.
It is the Grace of the Lord that saves us. The law is merely a bit fat reminder to us that we messed up. that is all.

"how can you be condemned son...when there is no judge?"

Q

I agree! My point in using the Law is the same as Paul, and all those in the Bible who used it - to bring sinners to Christ.

My understanding is that "the Law" as Christians needs to embrace it is entirely described in Matthew 22: 35:40.

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

I said:
My understanding is that "the Law" as Christians needs to embrace it is entirely described in Matthew 22: 35:40.

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

I so agree. :)

lunamoth

I said:

First of all, the whole law can be summed up in those 2 laws that Jesus gave. Yet, Im gonna back to what I was orignally trying to convey: "Who has always kept the Law?"

Have you always kept those 2 laws? Have you always Loved God and put him first before your family, always? Have you always loved people, and put them first before even yourself? If you havent kept those laws, you've broken the Law. And, if you've broken the Law, your in debted to the law. The wages of breaking the law is death, and eternity in hell. Jesus freed us from the law by being the only man to fulfill the law, and paying the price of the law. Because of what he did, those that run to him, will be free.

This again was the point of the post - to use the Law to bring awareness of sin. To understand the law, is to appriciate Grace.

Proph 1 said:
First of all, the whole law can be summed up in those 2 laws that Jesus gave. Yet, Im gonna back to what I was orignally trying to convey: "Who has always kept the Law?"

Have you always kept those 2 laws? Have you always Loved God and put him first before your family, always? Have you always loved people, and put them first before even yourself? If you havent kept those laws, you've broken the Law. And, if you've broken the Law, your in debted to the law. The wages of breaking the law is death, and eternity in hell. Jesus freed us from the law by being the only man to fulfill the law, and paying the price of the law. Because of what he did, those that run to him, will be free.

This again was the point of the post - to use the Law to bring awareness of sin. To understand the law, is to appriciate Grace.

No Proph. What you are asking is humanly impossible. The law was not created for us to keep, it was to show us that we can't keep it all the time. But the Jews sure as hell tried, which is why they are called the people of the Law.

Even Issac Asimov pointed out that a "robot" could not keep the law. Because invariably one law will conflict with another. Then a decision must be made to determine which law broken would cause the least amount of damage.

What bothers me is you quickness to pass judgement on others and say "see you can't do it", when Jesus made it clear He was not even judging us.

Where does it say this, you ponder?

"You judge according to the flesh, I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone that judge, but I and he who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true; I bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me."
John 8:15-18

That is a direct quote from Jesus, according to John's recollection.

The only thing Jesus cares about is our Love for one another (which means we ask and give forgiveness for transgressions), our hope in things that have yet to be, and faith in that which is yet unseen.

He never said "pick eachother apart for the flaws you have". And He never said "stand in judgement over eachother".

Are you saved? You say yes, but I don't know that. Only Jesus and you know. Am I saved? you can't know that. Only Jesus and I know.

As far as major religions go, ours is two of the youngest on earth.

Is it any wonder we are called upstarts by those of other faiths? Attempting to criticize others does us no good really. Those claiming Islam as their way for example are using the most extreme form of criticism, and are not getting a very good reputation as a result. Christianity isn't fairing much better.

You break the very law you are attempting to employ, by being a critical heart...did you reallize that?

A critical heart gives no quarter, and a broken heart can receive none. That is a sin in its basest form. I think it is called "wrath".

v/r

Q

No Proph. What you are asking is humanly impossible. The law was not created for us to keep, it was to show us that we can't keep it all the time. But the Jews sure as hell tried, which is why they are called the people of the Law.

Im sorry if I did a terrible job in explaining, but what you said is what Ive been trying to say all along. None can keep the law, all the time, and none (except Jesus) has. The thing I was trying to get across is this:

When witnessing to a prideful person, one must used to law because it shuts the mouth of those who think they are good. Of course however, when witnessing to the humble, one should not continue to beat up one the humble listener, one should use grace. This is what Jesus, and Paul did in the Bible, they gave Law to the proud and grace to the Humble. Both ways lead people to the Savior.

Proph 1 said:
Yet, Im gonna back to what I was orignally trying to convey: "Who has always kept the Law?"

I'd really suggest you apply it to yourself first - so far you're smouldering to just tell us how evil and sinful everyone else is and that only people like yourself are saved.

This is not an attitude that will get far here at CR.

We have a good range of Christian viewpoints here - from Fundamentalist to Liberal. It offers engaging discussion.

However, anyone who thinks they can begin to witness at other Christians is indeed prideful and very unwelcome at CR. I suggest you bear that very much in mind before you make your next post/start a new thread because we've had to deal with such people before, and they no longer post.

I'd really suggest you apply it to yourself first - so far you're smouldering to just tell us how evil and sinful everyone else is and that only people like yourself are saved.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong idea. I admit, I am guilty of breaking the Law both before and after coming to Jesus. I can relate to the Apostle Paul who called himself a "wretched man." I hate the fact that I sin and broke the law, but I love the fact that Jesus saved me from the Law.

We have a good range of Christian viewpoints here - from Fundamentalist to Liberal. It offers engaging discussion.

Great! Which of them know that there sinners who have been saved from the penality of sin?

However, anyone who thinks they can begin to witness at other Christians is indeed prideful and very unwelcome at CR.

Sorry if I came of prideful, Im not. About witnessing to other Chrisitian however. The Bible tells us to correct one another in love.

I suggest you bear that very much in mind before you make your next post/start a new thread because we've had to deal with such people before, and they no longer post.

Smile...Its really not that serious! :)

Proph 1 said:
...Sorry if I came of prideful, Im not. About witnessing to other Chrisitian however. The Bible tells us to correct one another in love...

Ahem, I think Brian just did that, or at least he tried to...

Hi--Peace

Smile...Its really not that serious! :)

Really? That is not how you have made it sound all this time. All of a sudden it is not serious???

Sorry, mods--but grrrrr......

Debora

For: Q

Awesome!

For: In Love

I think you have me confused guy. Umm...what I was trying to say is that the ganging up on me to argue for no reason, isnt necessary or cool (for lack of a better word).

Hello, Peace--

I was "ganging up" on you? With whom?

InPeace,
InLove

Hi, Peace to Everyone--

That is all I have ever said.

Bye Now--I agree--Q is awesome--I will never forget that H20 cannot be kept in a box--it seeks its own level.

InPeace,
InLove

Oh, you're not ganging up on me? Sorry! Im not good with names and so I didnt yet differentiate the names of the members of this site, yet.

God Bless!

Hello, Proph 1--Peace to you,

We have spoken several times. I have taken the time to know your name. My name is InLove (Debora).

Hello....:)

Welcome (once again) to CR.

InPeace,
InLove

Back