The Beatitudes, and what they mean

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
A member suggested a new thread be started (thanks Luna), pertaining to the Beatitudes.

The question is not what do they mean, but rather what does each part mean, alone?...To you? And does any of it apply to you (that is rhetorical).

The second question (rhetorical also), is what does each part mean to you, or those that surround you? In otherwords, can you identify people you know with certain of these? Can you identify self with certain of these? (again rhetorical question).

I was joking (semi-serious) with Lunamoth, when I said I don't fit any of it. But she got me thinking about stuff, so I thought I'd provoke thought from you.

Here they are:

This is how Matthew states it:

Blessed are the poor in spirit:
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn:
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek:
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:
for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful:
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart:
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers:
for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake:
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye,
when men shall revile you,
and persecute you,
and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely,
for my sake.
Rejoice,
and be exceeding glad:
for great is your reward in heaven:
for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you

v/r

Q​

Hi Q, thank you for starting this thead. :)

Well, right out of the blocks I've always wondered about the first line, in Matthew, Blessed are the poor in spirit. Especially since in Luke it is simply blessed are you who are poor. I think it is clear that here Jesus is talking to the downtrodden, reassuring rest and salvation. But it's interesting tht in Luke the wording is so material and concrete, He really is talking about the poor and contrasting them to the materially wealthy. In Matthew it's the poor in spirit, the humble? Those with a broken and contrite heart? That's how I've always read it. Rather than be worried about the possible differences between these two accounts, I've always marveled at the richness of having not only the two literal meanings, but all the nuances that come from contemplating the differences. Can take me to one of those thin places sometimes.

Must say though, Luke's version leaves me shaking in my shoes. I'm not exceedingly wealthy by American standards, but just living in this country and doing OK means I'm in a pretty top percentage bracket with respect to the whole world. But, as others have said elsewhere, it's not what you have but what you do with it.

17He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, 18who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil[a] spirits were cured, 19and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.

20Looking at his disciples, he said:
"Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
21Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
22Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.

23"Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
24"But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
26Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.

peace,
lunamoth

ok i am just going to do 3 of them for now.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:

Blessed are the peacemakers:
for they shall be called the children of God.

this is really me. i dont always have mercy & i know my heart is not always pure. i know i am not always meek. & i dont think we in the states really know what persecution really is yet.

though i do have a genuine love, a constant hunger & thirst for the righteousness of God & have found it to be true that I am filled with as much as i want & there is no end to His righteousness. not my own filthy righteousness, but the real thing.

& i really want people to be in peace though i know that is never going to happen until Jesus comes again.
yet i have found that deep settled peace & joy in the Holy Ghost that i know others are searching for & I will never deny the peace of the living God.

Blessed are they that mourn:
for they shall be comforted.

this one takes me back to the life of Job & the book of Lamentations. They just mourned & cried out to the true living God & Job went through more than anything i could ever imagine going through But in all his sorrow he never once doubted.
This sorrow i feel is a Godly sorrow. not just mourning for a lost loved one. similiar to that, yet this comes from a deeper source than when the loved ones are gone, & we see war on all sides & we mourn, nothing can fill there place, but the spirit of God fills ALL of my being when i seek Him & i believe we are truly comforted from within & it goes all the way out.
not just a self centered meditation or selfish sorrow.
i mourn for that eternal rest & i reach out in spirit & tell God to never leave me & He comes immediately & fills my wretched soul with comfort.
this is what Jesus brought us.:)

have a great weekend everyone!

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them Translated literally, Jesus’ opening words read: Happy the poor ones (as) to the spirit, or Happy are those who are beggars for the spirit. (Matthew 5:1-3; Today’s English Version reads: Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor.so it is not talking about being poor in a material waybut a spiritual way

mee said:
Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them Translated literally, Jesus’ opening words read: Happy the poor ones (as) to the spirit, or Happy are those who are beggars for the spirit. (Matthew 5:1-3; Today’s English Version reads: Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor.so it is not talking about being poor in a material waybut a spiritual way

Unfortunately the term happiness and blessedness do not mean the same thing.

Happiness is a state of being, generated from within (for no one can make another happy, nor can happiness be given).

Blessedness on the other hand is a gift. The term you are blessed, means you've been given something.

The poor in spirit for example would be anything but happy. However to say that the poor in spirit are blessed, implies hope, for a better future. Of course this implies that happiness will devlop from within the poor in spirit because of the hope they have for the "gift" blessing they've been given.

Also the term Blessed are...denotes a promise, wherein Happy are...denotes a subjective state of being.

Perhaps we should compare your bible's version of the beatitudes with the Latin vulgate and the KJV, and the NIV, just to see how close they are?;)

It might explain why we don't always see eye to eye.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:

Happiness is a state of being, generated from within (for no one can make another happy, nor can happiness be given).

Blessedness on the other hand is a gift. The term you are blessed, means you've been given something.

The poor in spirit for example would be anything but happy. However to say that the poor in spirit are blessed, implies hope, for a better future. Of course this implies that happiness will devlop from within the poor in spirit because of the hope they have for the "gift" blessing they've been given.

Also the term Blessed are...denotes a promise, wherein Happy are...denotes a subjective state of being.

Perhaps we should compare your bible's version of the beatitudes with the Latin vulgate and the KJV, and the NIV, just to see how close they are?;)

v/r

Q

"BLESSED are the poor in spirit." Such are the opening words of Jesus’ celebrated Sermon on the Mount, according to several English-language Bibles. (Matthew 5:3, Revised Standard Version, Protestant and Catholic editions) Can you understand what Jesus really meant by "poor in spirit"? Was he referring to those who are discouraged? Or could he have meant the feeble-minded? The latter may seem unlikely, but surely it is important to know.​

Bible students, have found that the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures admirably meets the requirements of clarity and accuracy. It renders that passage from the Sermon on the Mount: "Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need."

Some Bible commentaries admit that this is what "poor in spirit" means. Why, then, do many current versions, such as the Catholic Jerusalem Bible and the New International Version, persist in using the expression "poor in spirit"?

This example shows that in order to make one’s Bible reading fruitful, it is necessary to choose a translation that is faithful, clear, and understandable

Jesus said: "Happy are those who mourn [who are sad over their poor spiritual state], since they will be comforted." (Matt. 5:4) He holds out this invitation to all: "Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you."—Matt. 11:28.

mee said:
Jesus said: "Happy are those who mourn [who are sad over their poor spiritual state], since they will be comforted." (Matt. 5:4) He holds out this invitation to all: "Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you."—Matt. 11:28.

Again, the concept of "don't worry, be happy" doesn't work. However the concept of being given something because of a certain state of acknowledgement, does make sense.

Poor in Spirt means knowing God owns everything and we are to be good stewards of those things we have been given. The blessed part is the gift of receiving more in heaven because of our humbleness in understanding we own nothing, but that which we are responsible for, we use to provide for ourselves and serve God's people.

Jesus continued his Sermon on the Mount by saying: "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5) Mildness of temper is sometimes thought to imply weakness of character. However, that is not the case. Explaining the sense of the word translated "mild-tempered," one Bible scholar wrote: "The supreme characteristic of the man who is [mild of temper] is that he is the man who is under perfect control. It is not a spineless gentleness, a sentimental fondness, a passive quietism. It is a strength under control." Jesus stated about himself: "I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart." (Matthew 11:29) Yet, Jesus was courageous in defending righteous principles.—Matthew 21:12, 13; 23:13-33.​

Mildness of temper, then, is closely related to self-control. Indeed, mildness and self-control were listed together by the apostle Paul when he outlined "the fruitage of the spirit." (Galatians 5:22, 23)

mee said:

Jesus continued his Sermon on the Mount by saying: "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5) Mildness of temper is sometimes thought to imply weakness of character. However, that is not the case. Explaining the sense of the word translated "mild-tempered," one Bible scholar wrote: "The supreme characteristic of the man who is [mild of temper] is that he is the man who is under perfect control. It is not a spineless gentleness, a sentimental fondness, a passive quietism. It is a strength under control." Jesus stated about himself: "I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart." (Matthew 11:29) Yet, Jesus was courageous in defending righteous principles.—Matthew 21:12, 13; 23:13-33.​

Mildness of temper, then, is closely related to self-control. Indeed, mildness and self-control were listed together by the apostle Paul when he outlined "the fruitage of the spirit." (Galatians 5:22, 23)

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

To be meek before God is simple my friend:

The meek are those who submit to God's will. The Greek word, which is translated as 'meek' (praus), was used in antiquity for a wild animal that had become domesticated. When it was applied, for instance, to horses, it meant that a powerful, savage and uncontrolled beast had been captured and trained to work profitably alongside people. Wild and unruly animals are worthless. But when trained they become praus, or meek. They become teachable and quiet. Meekness, then, is strength under the control of God, not self-control, nor mild mannered.

Both the ox and the ass are powerful creatures, but the ox has more value, because his strength is used at the master's command, wherein an ass, will forever remain obstinate and unpredictable, which strips the master of trust in him.

Again, the state of meekness is not a reason to be happy. But being blessed by God for being meek (under God's control), is to be promised a great gift for submitting to the control of God.

The beatitudes are not describing a state of happiness. They are a promise of things to come. They are gifts, and inspire hope.

Quahom1 said:
Again, the state of meekness is not a reason to be happy. But being blessed by God for being meek (under God's control), is to be promised a great gift for submitting to the control of God.

The beatitudes are not describing a state of happiness. They are a promise of things to come. They are gifts, and inspire hope.

Yes, I agree with you in this Q.

lunamoth

Quahom1 said:
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

To be meek before God is simple my friend:

The meek are those who submit to God's will. The Greek word, which is translated as 'meek' (praus), was used in antiquity for a wild animal that had become domesticated. When it was applied, for instance, to horses, it meant that a powerful, savage and uncontrolled beast had been captured and trained to work profitably alongside people. Wild and unruly animals are worthless. But when trained they become praus, or meek. They become teachable and quiet. Meekness, then, is strength under the control of God, not self-control, nor mild mannered.

Both the ox and the ass are powerful creatures, but the ox has more value, because his strength is used at the master's command, wherein an ass, will forever remain obstinate and unpredictable, which strips the master of trust in him.

yes this would be true because those who will inherit the earth will be led by Jesus christ so they are meek ,in other words they are teachable and have been taught by Jesus himself
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace...psalm 37;11so to have peace they would not be fighting or losing control

"Happy are those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled....matt 5;6

People who mourn, who hunger and thirst for righteousness, and who are conscious of their spiritual need are aware of the importance of having a good relationship with the Creator. A good relationship with humans contributes to happiness, but even more so does a good relationship with God. Yes, serious-minded lovers of what is right, who are willing to accept divine guidance, can truly be called happy

when they learn of God’s purpose to bring righteous conditions to the earth and justice to the downtrodden, their joy knows no bounds.—Isaiah 11:4.

(John 6:35) Jesus said to them: "I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all.

(Revelation 7:16) They will hunger no more nor thirst anymore, neither will the sun beat down upon them nor any scorching heat

(Isaiah 55:1) Hey there, all YOU thirsty ones! Come to the water. And the ones that have no money! Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk even without money and without price.

(Luke 6:21) "Happy are YOU who hunger now, because YOU will be filled. "Happy are YOU who weep now, because YOU will laugh.

Quahom1 said:

v/r

Q

I agree. The posts between the quote I used above and this post have stated a valuable point to me: while some things may meet requirements, it doesn't mean it is truly the best grade. Comparing happiness and blessedness doesn't have the same meaning, power, or strength. Happiness is favor. Blessedness is sacred favor. A mild temper is a gentle temper. Meek is to be of a mild temper, patient, and teachable. You would think that it's all the same but strength of the meaning appears to lost in the NWT.

Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy.matthew 5;7yes this fits in well with the model prayer

(Matthew 6:14) "For if YOU forgive men their trespasses, YOUR heavenly Father will also forgive YOU;

(Matthew 18:33) Ought you not, in turn, to have had mercy on your fellow slave, as I also had mercy on you?’

(James 2:13) For the one that does not practice mercy will have [his] judgment without mercy. Mercy exults triumphantly over judgment.

truthseeker said:
I agree. The posts between the quote I used above and this post have stated a valuable point to me: while some things may meet requirements, it doesn't mean it is truly the best grade. Comparing happiness and blessedness doesn't have the same meaning, power, or strength. Happiness is favor. Blessedness is sacred favor. A mild temper is a gentle temper. Meek is to be of a mild temper, patient, and teachable. You would think that it's all the same but strength of the meaning appears to lost in the NWT.

Agreed. However it seems (looking back at these posts in this thread) that "Mee" and I have somehow switched roles. Here "Mee" is being eternally optimistic and positive, wherein I've been more somber, and almost pessimistic.

There is something for me (as in I myself), to learn from this...;)

Perhaps it is flip sides of the same coin...

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Agreed. However it seems (looking back at these posts in this thread) that "Mee" and I have somehow switched roles. Here "Mee" is being eternally optimistic and positive, wherein I've been more somber, and almost pessimistic.

There is something for me (as in I myself), to learn from this...;)

Perhaps it is flip sides of the same coin...

v/r

Q
I noticed that. Must be a meeting of two great minds. :eek:
I'm glad Mee has stuck around. I think Mee has softened my heart about the JW faith...

I'm gonna go with Bandit:

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:
Blessed are the peacemakers: For they shall be called the children of God."

truthseeker said:
I noticed that. Must be a meeting of two great minds. :eek:
I'm glad Mee has stuck around. I think Mee has softened my heart about the JW faith...

I'm gonna go with Bandit:

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:
Blessed are the peacemakers: For they shall be called the children of God."

...more like two rams scrambling brain matter...

Yeah, he grows on one. LOL :D

v/r

Q

I noticed mee picked this one too. It's easy to overlook but so very powerful. Forgiveness is difficult for us but in the end the one who benefits most from forgiveness is the forgiver. Our grudges are such a burden to us, yet we cling fiercely to them, continuing to give life to the pain.

When we've been deeply hurt and know we need to forgive, it can be one of those things we keep giving to God and then taking back again. So hard to let it go.

In a slightly lighter vein, there is the "sin-covering eye," the eye that overlooks insults and forgoes petty judgements. This attitude can make life so much more pleasant. Sure would eliminate a lot of silly lawsuites as well.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:

I noticed mee picked this one too. It's easy to overlook but so very powerful. Forgiveness is difficult for us but in the end the one who benefits most from forgiveness is the forgiver. Our grudges are such a burden to us, yet we cling fiercely to them, continuing to give life to the pain.

When we've been deeply hurt and know we need to forgive, it can be one of those things we keep giving to God and then taking back again. So hard to let it go.

In a slightly lighter vein, there is the "sin-covering eye," the eye that overlooks insults and forgoes petty judgements. This attitude can make life so much more pleasant. Sure would eliminate a lot of silly lawsuites as well.

lunamoth

i have to totally agree with that Luna. we make the smallest things into mountains with others & cant let go of things. i think that can be a trick of the devil as well, to keep bringing up tiny things so that we cant forgive, so we carry this big bag of grudges that only brings us pain. it is easier to let go & have mercy then we will obtain mercy. very nice.:)

Back