Does Bukhari justify the murder of Jews?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I've been referred to a couple of websites dealing with "resistance" in Palestine and Iraq, that quotes the following at the foot of the page:

So the decisive battle in which the Jews will come to an end will most assuredly come to pass – it is inevitable. It will be a battle of Faith and a battle of servitude to Allaah. The Prophet (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “You will indeed fight against the Jews and you will kill them to the point where the rock and the tree will say: ‘O Muslim! O ‘Abdullaah (slave of Allaah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me. Come and kill him.’ Except for al-Gharqad for it is from the trees of the Jews.”

I've been told they reference the following:

Sahih Muslim, Book 041, Number 6981:

Ibn 'Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: You will fight against the Jews and you will kill them until even a stone would say: Come here, Muslim, there is a Jew (hiding himself behind me) ; kill him.

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight wi the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.' "

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

I'm curious as to the meaning of these passages, and how they are to be taken with regards to Muslims and Jews.

Salam & peace

Well as I know , these ahadeeth deal with end time prophecies . In Islamic belief , after the arrival of Jesus PBUH , there will be only two grou of people , one following him , who will be called muslims ( submitters, obedients ) , & the other will be against him , following Dajjal/Anti-christ . Now since the jews are still waiting for their king/messiah , a lot of them will side with the anti-christ & not jesus . And then all this will happen thats discussed in these ahadeeth .

But thats what I know , may be there is some other explanation too .

h| Brian,

i pretty much agree with farhan here. Its about the end times. No need to explain to you what kind of time that will be. You quoted a hadith from sahih muslim as well. It should be noted that Book 41 is titled "Turmoil And Portents Of The Last Hour". even the text that you quoted regarding the article you have been reading says in the beginning that "So the decisive battle in which the Jews will come to an end will most assuredly come to pass – it is inevitable." refers to the future. I dont think one should phrase it as "the Jews will come to an end"... this assumes that all jews would join the anti-christ/Dajjal and die. If that is what the writer is trying to portray, then I would disagree with that. one would need a reason/proof to say a certain number. If i had to guess, i'd put it at 70,000 [1] and thats hardly all jews. The writer seems to have been over-zealous in his statement.
Hope this helped.
And Allaah knows best.
==================
[1] Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The Dajjal would be followed by seventy thousand Jews of Isfahan wearing Persian shawls. [Sahih Muslim, Book 41, 7034]
===============
You can check out Wikipedia for info on Isfahan at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isfahan_Province

Salam & peace

Well as I know , these ahadeeth deal with end time prophecies . In Islamic belief , after the arrival of Jesus PBUH , there will be only two grou of people , one following him , who will be called muslims ( submitters, obedients ) , & the other will be against him , following Dajjal/Anti-christ . Now since the jews are still waiting for their king/messiah , a lot of them will side with the anti-christ & not jesus . And then all this will happen thats discussed in these ahadeeth .

But thats what I know , may be there is some other explanation too .

Walaykum as Salaam;

to my knowledge , what u wrote is correct. Those hadith predicted about the incidents which will take place before the end time.

Well, if Bush is the Dazzal / anti-Christ(p) , then may be last time is not very far away .

that is more or less my understanding as well. it all depends on whether "the jews" means (as a lot of muslims seem to be being taught) *all* jews, or whether it means a certain bunch of jews, or whether it means jews who act like the not-very-jewish-acting jewish tribes who gave muhammad such a hard time, or whether it means generally people who act like those jewish tribes. it depends on the context and, like everything else, upon how it's being interpreted. no surprises for how the beardy jihadi nutters interpret it. on the other hand, i think even some supposedly "liberal" theologians tend to be in agreement with the aforementioned BJNs when it comes to us. and, frankly, i've never heard even one interpretation of the "dajjal" idea that isn't profoundly problematic and more or less anti-semitic. i bet it can even be understood to refer to a nation-state. and i wonder which state will be at the front of that queue? this idea (and dhimmitude) are the two most problematic issues in jewish-muslim relations as far as i know.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back