Hindu and Christian marriage...doable?

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
My son, has a lady friend, and there is smoke and smouldering embers between them. Everyone who looks at the two together can see the obvious. She is devout in her faith (as is her family), and my son has rather strong roots in his (if one judges him by his father) LOL ;)

They are young, and in no rush to persue marriage (yet), however, I am looking for input from the Hindu side of the house on this "delicate" matter. Is this something that can work? Aside from her beliefs she is of Indian heritage (I believe first or second generation American), wherein he is of Irish heritage, and catholic.

We have taught my son to be very open minded about the world's beliefs, but I also believe that as good parents, we must present them (our collective children) with the advatages and potential disadvantages of such a union.

There are many questions that must needs be discussed and answered, such as dual faith home, child raising, even matters of cuisine, and extended family expectations...(very important I think for all concerned).

I would be most grateful for any and all insight into the Hindu thoughts of such a union.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
My son, has a lady friend, and there is smoke and smouldering embers between them. Everyone who looks at the two together can see the obvious. She is devout in her faith (as is her family), and my son has rather strong roots in his (if one judges him by his father) LOL ;)

They are young, and in no rush to persue marriage (yet), however, I am looking for input from the Hindu side of the house on this "delicate" matter. Is this something that can work? Aside from her beliefs she is of Indian heritage (I believe first or second generation American), wherein he is of Irish heritage, and catholic.

We have taught my son to be very open minded about the world's beliefs, but I also believe that as good parents, we must present them (our collective children) with the advatages and potential disadvantages of such a union.

There are many questions that must needs be discussed and answered, such as dual faith home, child raising, even matters of cuisine, and extended family expectations...(very important I think for all concerned).

I would be most grateful for any and all insight into the Hindu thoughts of such a union.

v/r

Q

Namaste Quahom1,

I am an adherent of Sanatan Dharma (a hindu). I have been married to my for over 10 years now. She is catholic. We have been living happily under one roof for all these years. No problems of religion in our house. She is free to practice what she chooses. I am free to practice what I choose.

Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

Satay

Hi Q -

Ananda and Rama Coomaraswamy are two notable names from a Hindu/Christian heritage.

I believe Ananda advised his son Rama that if he was moving to live in America then he should convert to Catholicism as the West is 'under the cover' of the Christian Tradition. (This treats of the esoteric aspects of 'tradition' whicch are largely forgotten or ignored.)

Rama has sided with the hard-core traditionalists who believe that Vatican II and everything that follows is illicit and therefore void. Whilst I can sympathise (and to some degree agree) it seems to me that the 'errors' promulgated by the liberal element that overthrew VII are in the process of being corrected - so I remain with the church, rather than outside it.

Another name is Raymond Panikkar, whose mother was Spanish Catholic and father was Hindu. He, too, is Catholic, and a search round the web will turn up some stuff.

Doable - that depends. Ananda Coomaraswamy once said that if westerners wish to understand eastern art then they have to look with an eastern mind - not at all easy, but not impossible. Then again in partnership such things should 'rub off' one on the other if the pairing is equal.

So your son and his friend are in good company, although no doubt there will be difficulties along the way.

Then again, love conquers all.

I wish them, and you, well,

Thomas

It's probably much easier for a Hindu and Christian to unite rather then for example Christian and Muslim. As long as there is acceptance between both people then practise of the faith should be ok, however the difficulty is that, there will be a clash of views regarding Hinduism and Christian thinking. i.e. Reincarnation vs Kingdom of God.

Postmaster said:
thinking. i.e. Reincarnation vs Kingdom of God.

Namaste Postmaster,

No problems there...The Kingdom of God is 'within'.

satay

satay said:
Namaste Quahom1,

I am an adherent of Sanatan Dharma (a hindu). I have been married to my for over 10 years now. She is catholic. We have been living happily under one roof for all these years. No problems of religion in our house. She is free to practice what she chooses. I am free to practice what I choose.

Do you have any specific questions that I can help you with?

Satay

Thank you all for posting your thoughts.

One question I have is how are the children raised? Both faiths, or is one destined to dominate over the other? Postmaster makes a valid point about the trouble between Christian and Muslim marriages (and I have seen such in my home town).

Another question would be extended family views on such a union, do you notice support by both families for your union?

Can eastern and western thought, blend? I am of the opinion that it is not only possible, but probably easier than most realize.

There are similarities in the traditions of the two faiths, but there are differences as well.

My son for example, is a voracious meat, fish, wild game and poultry eater. Vegetables and legumes on the other hand compliment the dish as opposed to being dominant. Would something like the dietary choice negatively affect his "wife"?

Considering the Catholic view of the Trinitarian concept, would this help or hinder in the relationship? I don't think Ryan would mind both he and the children attending a temple for services with hiw "wife", however, if he wanted the children "baptised"...would this present a problem? Would she have a problem with going to a church, or the children of such a union going to church?

Can the formalities of the wedding itself be blended? Two "priests" for example...

These are the kind of questions I am interested in knowing answers to.

Again, thank you for your thoughts. I look forward to what you have to say.

v/r

Q

Ah-ha! Found it! Your question made me remember a link in the pluralism thread by Vimlakirti, the thread is here: Pluralism thread

The link, about a Hindu-Christian who became a Roman Catholic priest, here:
Panikkar

Hope this is of interest.

lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Ah-ha! Found it! Your question made me remember a link in the pluralism thread by Vimlakirti, the thread is here: Pluralism thread

The link, about a Hindu-Christian who became a Roman Catholic priest, here:
Panikkar

Hope this is of interest.

lunamoth

Wow! What an eye opener! No wonder Christians, Jews and Muslims can't get along...three insecure children afraid of the dark, and clinging to their "wooby blanket" (book), instead of the "Word".

I am grateful for this information. Now I am beginning to understand my father's cryptic comment about all Road leading to Rome, all paths lead us home...

Perhaps my son and his "friend" could do just fine in this world, as they move forward together.

Again, many thanks!

v/r

Q

Back