Anti- conversion Laws

AnnPra

Reaction score
Hi,

The constitution of our country states that every person has the freedom of following a religion of their choice, in public or in private, alone or as a group. Of course common morality and criminal law has to be abided (Nobody can kill for the sake of a religious practice etc.)

There is also a clause in the constitution stating that any government elected should uplift a certain religion (Which I will not mention here as it's irrelevant)

There has been, in the recent past, a school of thought that it should be made illegal the practise of converting people to other religions for material gain, in the wake of a string of such happenings coming to light. Of course there's a debate going on in the country about the law.

I would like to know what you think about this law.

Thanks.

Hi AnnPra, and welcome to the messageboard.

I think this is more of a general political topic, so I'm moving this thread to the Political section in the hopes that it will generate appropriate discussion there.

Just out of curiosity, which country are you talking about? We have members on Comparative-Religion who live in a variety of countries. (I'm Canadian although I'm currently in the United States, for instance.)

Ben Gruagach
moderator, Alternative section of Comparative-Religion

Yes, I presume we're talking about the USA? :)

I would be very happy if religious proselytizing were banned, especially the kind who jump you in the hallways and ask "have you been saved?" or something of the kind. I don't push my opinions on people unasked, and I resent being told I'm going to hell if I don't believe as someone else does. To those I usually say "so what, I don't believe in hell, and I'd be rather stupid to fear something I don't believe in." Usually silences them pretty quick!

manephelien said:
I would be very happy if religious proselytizing were banned, especially the kind who jump you in the hallways and ask "have you been saved?" or something of the kind. I don't push my opinions on people unasked, and I resent being told I'm going to hell if I don't believe as someone else does. To those I usually say "so what, I don't believe in hell, and I'd be rather stupid to fear something I don't believe in." Usually silences them pretty quick!
Well I do not usually tell people they are going to hell.
That said you telling me you do not believe in hell sure would not silence me.:)

Probably not, but then I'd be rather likely to slam the door in your face. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion, and just as I would support your right to practise yours, I expect you to respect my right not to be exposed to religious propaganda I don't want to hear. :)

AnnPra said:
There has been, in the recent past, a school of thought that it should be made illegal the practise of converting people to other religions for material gain, in the wake of a string of such happenings coming to light.

Thanks.
While I am all for prostelying and spreading my faith. There are times and places for it. People have to be up to it also.

Now trying to convert people for material gain is not the right reason to ever do it.

Converting people to certain beliefs for material gain would automatically tie such beliefs to the economic and political milieu, and hence would automatically pervert any semblance of freedom of choice of belief in the long run. IMHO, this is merely another way to promote a state religion, and over the long term would negate all freedom of religion choices by citizens.

flow....:cool:

I'm not sure of what the original poster was referring to. I was only commenting on what effects the practice would have in society over time. But maybe if you are a "moonie" it means something like for each new recruit you bring into the group, that's one dozen fewer roses that you are required to sell each day as your monetary contribution to the group. Something like that AnnPra ?

flow....:confused:

manephelien said:
Probably not, but then I'd be rather likely to slam the door in your face. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion, and just as I would support your right to practise yours, I expect you to respect my right not to be exposed to religious propaganda I don't want to hear. :)
Dor said:
While I am all for prostelying and spreading my faith. There are times and places for it. People have to be up to it also.

I think there are two sides to this issue.

First, freedom of expression. You have a right to express yourself. That entails that people of a particular religion have a right to share their faith.

But -- here's the catch -- you can only invite someone to listen to you sharing your faith. Beyond the invitation, we can't go any further if the audience declines that invitation. That would be trespassing on their personal space.

Door-knockers, I guess, can be pretty annoying. You might be in the middle of something and I guess there's an obligation to be polite.

The idea, I think is not to ban "conversions" completely, even the initially invasive ones. What about people asking for donations? That's just as invasive. First they ring the door bell. Then you answer the door. Are they inviting you to donate or discuss religion?

The no junk mail equivalent for religion conversions might be the best way to avoid people knocking on doors wanting to discuss religion -- just stick a sign somewhere saying we are not interested in discussing religion.

While religion is not exactly the same as commerce, they are treated as practically the same thing. Do you get catalogues in your mail-box? Well, it's no more invasive as someone distributing pamphlets on sharing their religion with you.

Back