Women's Role In Religions

What Control Should Men Have Over Women?

• None, Men have no moral authority over women, Absolute 50/50

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Little, Men can be head of the house but cannot force women to do something

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Moderate, Women must obey men but men cannot punish them if the disobey

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Total, Men have abosolute moral authority and women must obey men or be punished

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Silverbackman said:
Similarly why are homosexuals considered evil in Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism? The truth is homosexuality is not a wrong as long as it does not become so open that is considered equal to a union between a man and a woman. Homosexuals are not evil, and God/Nature doesn't care less if someone is gay, but God does not want homosexuality be equated to a union between a man and a woman because it clearly is not the same thing!

I don't think that you can make the blanket statement that homosexuals are considered evil in Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism. Personally, I don't think Christ or Buddha would give a damn. I could see both of them being homosexuals, myself, and their core teachings not changing a bit. I don't know enough about Islam to make much of a comment, but I would suppose that the ecstatic poetry of Rumi and Hafiz, both Sufis, could be seen as homoerotic, if one were so inclined.

If you're speaking of the Essenes, nobody knows for sure. There is still some debate as to the nature of the Qumran complex though. It's not at all certain that the Essenes wrote and buried the scrolls as assumed in the past. Archaeologists are still doing their thing there. The latest has been to excavate a latrine area a few hundred yards from the site to determine what the diet of the occupants may have been. The jury is still out I believe.

flow....:)

not all-male - they were just ascetics, as opposed to mainstream jews, who are very pro-sex, marriage and babies, if in a conservative way.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Ehhhhh? Pro-sex ascetics??

Oh wait, I think I read that wrong.

Damn. I thought I finally discovered an ascetic tradition I could fall in line with. 'Specially if they were just generally hedonist ascetics.

Alas, was not to be. :( :mad:

Back