Any headcovering Christian women?

Sister Anna

Reaction score
Hello all,

Ive just started using headcovers, scarves mostly. I tie them around my head in different ways, so Im just wondering if there are any other Chrisitan women here that do the same thing? You dont HAVE to or anything, Im just checking!

No scarves.. I do however have long hair because I believe a womans hair is her covering and her glory

1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.

But this is not a God given mandate because we see in verse 16

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

Just to clarify that for catholic woman (not just nuns) that they must cover their heads before entering a church according to the 1917 Code of Canon Law, especially when they approach the holy table. Altoough it is noted that as the Code still stands there has been a relaxation (even an avoidance to address at the 2nd Vatican Council) the veiling of women within the church.

I have this website on "being catholic" as reference if people want to read further

http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/theveil.html

The NeoSentient said:
Salam Quahom....why must nuns cover their hair?

What you are describing is the "chapel veil". It is also noted that certain catholic orders still perscribe to the "requirement", while others do not (out in public). However most nuns still wear the chapel veil in church, even if it is a symbolic form as opposed to the full veil. Franciscan, and Bennedictian orders keep much of the traditional wardrobe, while Dominicans may or may not.

After the Code of Cannon Law's revision in 1983, the code became silent on the issue. Though still on the books, some orders do not enforce the tradition.

you will also note that Nuns typically wear a "wedding band", signifying their symbolic marriage and commitment to Christ. As such they are for lack of a better term 'betrothed' or married to Christ, hence the original requirment to be fully veiled in public and in Church.

Finally, Paul advises that this is also done for the sake of the Angels in Church as a sign of respect (and I suspect as a means of keeping Angels from looking upon women, in any manner other than chaste).

Personally, I like it, for the simple reason that when I look at a traditionally robed Nun, I think of her as a holy woman, and nothing else. However when I meet a woman in plain clothes who says she is a Nun, there is a disconnect at first. Human nature I suppose.

Hope that answered your question.

v/r

Q

Because I am not yet married (again - still a young opportunist) I don't cover my head all the time but I use large decorated and colorful Indian fabrics to wrap my head and upper body with sometimes. I find that it takes the attention away from my body. Though I still get the same amount of attention when I am covered or uncovered, the attention is much more respectful when I am covered.

truthseeker said:
Because I am not yet married (again - still a young opportunist) I don't cover my head all the time but I use large decorated and colorful Indian fabrics to wrap my head and upper body with sometimes. I find that it takes the attention away from my body. Though I still get the same amount of attention when I am covered or uncovered, the attention is much more respectful when I am covered.

You know, that is an interesting point. When I see a "shaven headed" woman, I think one way, and when her hair is "short" another, yet again when it is "long" I think differently. And when I see a woman covered with a scarf (not a hat), I think completely different. Not bad, just different. ;)

v/r

Q

Back