Music

hidayah

Reaction score
Assalammualaikum everyone!

i am new here and i have had so many questions on Islam which are (Alhamdulillah) answered well in this forum. so, inspired by all the discussions going on here, i could not resist being a member and participating myself! :)

i would like to pose a question about music; is it true that dancing, singing and listening to music is considered haraam in Islam? i am not much of a singer or a dancer myself, but i do listen to music when i feel like it, none of which is considered offensive. after being made known that music is haraam, i started to get puzzled and worried.

i sincerely hope you could educate me in this matter.

also, i read somewhere that 'Islamic rap' is nonsense because there is nothing 'Islamic' about rap. is it wrong, even though these rappers praise Allah's name and preach Islamic belief?

i will very much appreciate your responses!

A man said to Ibn ‘Abbaas (رضي الله عنه), “What do you say concerning Music? Is it permissible or is it forbidden?”

He responded, “I do not say it is forbidden except what is found in the Book of Allaah.”

The man said, “So you say it is permissible then?”

Ibn ‘Abbaas stated, “I did not say that.” Then he (Ibn ‘Abbaas) said to him, “Do you see that truth and falsehood will come on the Day of Judgement, so where will music be on that day?”

So the man said, “It (music) will be with falsehood on that day.”

Upon this Ibn ‘Abbaas closed with, “Go then for I have given the ruling for you.”

Fromhttp://www.masjiduthaymeen.org

Hope this helps :D

hidayah said:
Assalammualaikum everyone!

i am new here and i have had so many questions on Islam which are (Alhamdulillah) answered well in this forum. so, inspired by all the discussions going on here, i could not resist being a member and participating myself! :)

i would like to pose a question about music; is it true that dancing, singing and listening to music is considered haraam in Islam? i am not much of a singer or a dancer myself, but i do listen to music when i feel like it, none of which is considered offensive. after being made known that music is haraam, i started to get puzzled and worried.

i sincerely hope you could educate me in this matter.

also, i read somewhere that 'Islamic rap' is nonsense because there is nothing 'Islamic' about rap. is it wrong, even though these rappers praise Allah's name and preach Islamic belief?

i will very much appreciate your responses!

Wa Alayckum Al Salaam wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakath

Welcome hidayah ,,,here in Islamic section ...we are very happy that you join us here , you can ask any questions you want,, we are here to share our information together .:)

About your question,,,:confused:

you can see this links:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545728

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544202

Allah know best,,, may other brothers have more information.

Salaam

I think Songs which are accompanied by musical instruments or which contain words of love or provoke desire, are undoubtedly haraam, because of a great deal of evidence to that effect.

There is nothing wrong with listening to Islamic nasheeds which contain words of wisdom, exhortation, encouragement to do good, and promotion of noble attitudes, so long as there are no musical instruments and the voices do not provoke fitnah or incite one to do haraam deeds, and so long as one does not listen to them a great deal.

Allah know best

i have read all your replies and have considered them carefully. it has helped much. thank you for enlightening me :)

This may also help fromhttp://www.sunnahonline/ilm/xternal_links/001.htm

Question :

This question is about the instrument called "the duff". This is, I believe the only instrument that was made halal for muslims to listen to. Recently I have read that there are restrictions to listening to it, such as, only women can liten to it, it should only be played at weddings and 'Eid and that in all other circumstances it is Haram. The places where I read this didn't really have any proofs or evidences. Are these true restructions and are there any more?.​
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Al-Bukhaari narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will regard adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments as permissible.”

This hadeeth indicates that all musical instruments are haraam, including the daff.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The daff is haraam, stringed instruments are haraam, drums are haraam and flutes are haraam. Narrated by al-Bayhaqi, 10/222

But there are some ahaadeeth which indicate that it is permissible to beat the daff in some circumstances, which are:

Eid, weddings, and when one who has been away returns.

The evidence is given below.

1 – It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) entered upon her and there were two girls with her during the days of Mina beating the daff, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was covering himself with his garment. Abu Bakr rebuked them, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) uncovered his face and said, “Leave them alone, O Abu Bakr, for these are the days of Eid.” That was during the days of Mina.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 944; Muslim, 892

2 – It was narrated that al-Rubayyi’ bint Mu’awwidh ibn ‘Afra’ said: “After the consummation of my marriage, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and sat on my bed as far from me as you are sitting now, and our little girls started beating the daff and reciting verses mourning my father, who had been killed in the battle of Badr. One of them said, ‘Among us is a Prophet who knows what will happen tomorrow.’ On that the Prophet said, ‘Omit this (saying) and keep on saying the verses which you had been saying before.’”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4852).

3 – It was narrated that Buraydah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out on one of his military campaigns, and when he came back, a black slave woman came and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I vowed that if Allaah brought you back safe and sound, I would beat the daff before you and sing. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “If you vowed that, then do it, otherwise do not do it.’” So she started to beat the daff, and Abu Bakr came in whilst she was doing so. Then ‘Ali came in whilst she was beating the daff, then ‘Uthmaan came in whilst she was beating the daff, then ‘Umar came in and she threw the daff beneath her and sat on it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “The Shaytaan is afraid of you, O ‘Umar. I was sitting and she was beating the daff, then Abu Bakr came in when she was beating the daff; then ‘Ali came in when she was beating the daff; then ‘Uthmaan came in when she was beating the daff, but when you came in, O ‘Umar, she put the daff down.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3690; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2913.

These ahaadeeth indicate that it is permissible to beat the daff in these three situations. Apart from that, the principle remains that it is haraam. Some scholars made the matter broader and said that it is permissible to beat the daff when a child is born and when he is circumcised; others take the matter further and say that it is permissible on all occasions that are a cause for expressing joy, such as the recovery of a sick person and the like.

See al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 38/169

But it is better to limit ourselves to what was narrated in the text. And Allaah knows best.

Secondly:

The correct view is that it is not permissible to beat the daff except for women. If a man does that, he is imitating women, which is a major sin.

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah – may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

In general, it is a well known principle of the Islamic religion that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not prescribe that the righteous men, devoted worshippers and ascetics of this ummah should gather to listen to verses of poetry chanted to the accompaniment of handclapping, rhythm sticks or daffs. It is not permissible for anyone to go beyond the limits of Islam and follow something other than that which was narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, whether that has to do with inward matters or outward, whether for the common man or the elite. But the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a concession for some kinds of entertainment on the occasion of weddings and the like, and he also granted a concession to women allowing them to beat the daff at weddings and on other joyous occasions. But with regard to the men of his time, none of them used to beat the daff or clap his hands, rather it was proven in al-Saheeh that he said, ‘Clapping is for women, and Tasbeeh is for men,’ and he cursed women who imitate men and men who imitate women.

Because singing, beating the daff and clapping the hands are actions of women, the salaf used to call a man who did that mukhannath (effeminate), and they used to call male singers makhaaneeth (pl. of mukhannath). This is well known.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 11/565, 566

Ibn Hajar said:

The strong (qawiy) ahaadeeth indicate that this is permissible for women, but that does not include men, because of the general meaning of the prohibition on men imitating women.

Fath al-Baari, 9/226

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Rather the concession allowing women to use the daff is for them only. With regard to men, it is not permissible for them to do any of that, whether on weddings or on other occasions. Rather Allaah has prescribed for men to train in the instruments of war and skills needed for battle, such as shooting and horse riding, and competing in that.

Majallat al-Jaami’ah al-Islamiyyah (Magazine of the Islamic University in al-Madeenah al-Munawwarah), 3rd edition, 2nd year, Muharram, 1390 AH, p. 185, 186

And he also said:

With regard to weddings, it is prescribed to beat the daff and sing regular songs which do not call for or praise anything that is haraam. This is to be done at night, by women only, to announce the wedding and to emphasize the difference between this legitimate marriage and zina (adultery) which is done in secret, as was narrated in the saheeh Sunnah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Al-Tabarruj wa Khataruhu (Wanton display and its dangers)

And Allaah knows best.

Music and singing are not neccessary but they can be beneficial and are not forbidden in the Qu'ran. Surely it is the intention of the singer or musician that is important, if the musician is corrupt then his or her music will be corrupting, if the musician is praying or singing for God then the music will be Divine.

Its a very contreversal topic. The Qur'aan clearly prohibits music. The prophet Muhammad (pbuh), on the other hand, allowed playing particular instruments in particular occasions (i.e. weddings).

Samuel Linton Boot said:
Music and singing are not neccessary but they can be beneficial and are not forbidden in the Qu'ran. Surely it is the intention of the singer or musician that is important, if the musician is corrupt then his or her music will be corrupting, if the musician is praying or singing for God then the music will be Divine.

What did you base your claim on? Or is it just your personal opinion?

Salaam everyone,

I don't know why music is prohibited in islam.Music is just a sort of relaxtion that you can get after a lot of hard work.SO i don't know why music is forbidden.I was reading article on music and it says music is good for our health,it can cure your certain mental or physical problems.I don't think islam is so restricted when it comes to music.

We all know daff is permissble in some limited circumstances but maybe daff was the only music instrument available at that time?.Anyhow music is forbidden and that is clear but i am interested in logical explanation as to why music is prohibited in islam.What harm a simple classical music can do to us.?.Surely Allah knows something that we know not.But there must be some reason,A reason is supported within a reason.

I am not a very fond of listening to music,but sometimes i used to listen to it.The last time i was listening to it ,my friend said it is haraam and a hot led will be inserted into your ears at the judgement day,I stopped the music but i just don't know why such a torment for music?.I have investigated islam and other religions to some extent and found islam to be a very rational and a religion with tolerance.I don't know why islam is so strict when it comes to music.
Regards
p.ali :)

I just heard the President of Iran is cancelling concerts, and banning radio stations to play music in his country. From people who had traveled there they indicated western music was quite popular.

Has Iran been considered more secular and now becoming more Islamic?

What do we think about political powers enforcing religious tenents, shouldn't that be left to the religion and the individual?

PluckyAli said:
Salaam everyone,

I don't know why music is prohibited in islam.Music is just a sort of relaxtion that you can get after a lot of hard work.SO i don't know why music is forbidden.I was reading article on music and it says music is good for our health,it can cure your certain mental or physical problems.I don't think islam is so restricted when it comes to music.

We all know daff is permissble in some limited circumstances but maybe daff was the only music instrument available at that time?.Anyhow music is forbidden and that is clear but i am interested in logical explanation as to why music is prohibited in islam.What harm a simple classical music can do to us.?.Surely Allah knows something that we know not.But there must be some reason,A reason is supported within a reason.

I am not a very fond of listening to music,but sometimes i used to listen to it.The last time i was listening to it ,my friend said it is haraam and a hot led will be inserted into your ears at the judgement day,I stopped the music but i just don't know why such a torment for music?.I have investigated islam and other religions to some extent and found islam to be a very rational and a religion with tolerance.I don't know why islam is so strict when it comes to music.
Regards
p.ali :)

ok, first of all, when theres a command from God or his messenger, we should follow that with no questioning. There might be a reason behind prohibitting the music, but am not sure. Just logically thinking, I found a couple. First, most of the music out there will call for corruption and sin. Second, it will stick in your mind that you will be repeating it over and over and singing wherever you are instead of remembering God, reciting Qur'aan or making thekr. Also, God described the music as the voice of shaitan (satan). Don't forget that our prophet (pbuh) said that the pathway to Hell is surrounded by temptations, and the pathway to the Heaven is surrounded by hardships. So, not every pretty looking thing is good for us, it might be bad.

As for relaxation, I haven't seen something that works better than listening to Qur'aan. And I actually used to listen to music but i quit long ago. Finally, about curing some illnesses with music, there was a psychologist (not sure if he's Muslim) that did some research on the affect of playing Qur'aan to people with certain mental disorders. I think it was somewhere in Europe. Anyway, he found that the patients greatly benefited from that and that they actually relaxed and it helped curing their illnesses.

ma70 said:
ok, first of all, when theres a command from God or his messenger, we should follow that with no questioning.......

Where is this command from God or from His messengers (peace be upon them) forbidding all music? Are you sure you have understood it correctly?
ma70 said:
Also, God described the music as the voice of shaitan (satan)........

Are you sure? Does this include the bird song and the heart beat?

What about singing the Qu'raan or the Name of God?

Samuel Linton Boot said:
Where is this command from God or from His messengers (peace be upon them) forbidding all music? Are you sure you have understood it correctly?
are you sure you read the thread completely? cause the Prophet(pbuh)'s words are mentioned in this thread where authentic ahaadith prohibit it. The exceptions were mentioned as well. See post#6. Please dont ask for the proof to be repeated. Please also remember to make a mental note of the difference between singing (where musical instruments may or may not be in use) and music (where musical instruments are definitely used). Also, the Prophet(pbuh)'s companions (May Allaah be pleased with them) said the same thing.
As far as its being mentioned in the Quran is concerned, see the tafsir of Quranic verse 31:6. I'll paste some relevant material for your convenience.
And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Quran, 31:6]
You can see the words 'idle talks'.. in arabic its lahu al-hadith
Regarding this Ibn katheer said:
When Allah mentions the blessed -- who are those who are guided by the Book of Allah and benefit from hearing it, as He says:
(Allah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book, its parts resembling each other (and) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah) (Quran, 39:23). He connected that with mention of the doomed, those who turn away from the Qur'an and do not benefit from hearing the Words of Allah. Instead, they turn to listening to flutes and singing accompanied by musical instruments. As Ibn Mas`ud (May Allaah be pleased with him) commented about the Ayah:
(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahu Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah), he said, "This -- by Allah -- refers to singing.''
==========
For further reading on this verse, see the following:
The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). [Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40]
Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). [Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451]

Similar material can be found regarding the verse 17:64 in the Quran. So, i think thats clear enough. Please dont say again that there is no proof in the Quran and the Sunnah.
Hope this helped.
And Allaah knows best.

thipps said:
are you sure you read the thread completely? cause the Prophet(pbuh)'s words are mentioned in this thread where authentic ahaadith prohibit it. The exceptions were mentioned as well. See post#6. Please dont ask for the proof to be repeated.

Yes I read the thread and I find no proof. I reject your interpretation and the quoted scholars interpretation of the Prophet(pbuh)'s words.

Please also remember to make a mental note of the difference between singing (where musical instruments may or may not be in use) and music (where musical instruments are definitely used).

Yes I notice there is a difference but as the human voice is a sort of musical instument and musical instruments when played by humans are a sort of human voice I don't think the distinction is relevant to the debate as to the permissibility of music.

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Quran, 31:6]
You can see the words 'idle talks'.. in arabic its lahu al-hadith
Regarding this Ibn katheer said:
When Allah mentions the blessed -- who are those who are guided by the Book of Allah and benefit from hearing it, as He says:
(Allah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book, its parts resembling each other (and) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah) (Quran, 39:23). He connected that with mention of the doomed, those who turn away from the Qur'an and do not benefit from hearing the Words of Allah. Instead, they turn to listening to flutes and singing accompanied by musical instruments. As Ibn Mas`ud (May Allaah be pleased with him) commented about the Ayah:
(And of mankind is he who purchases Lahu Al-Hadith to mislead (men) from the path of Allah), he said, "This -- by Allah -- refers to singing.''
==========
For further reading on this verse, see the following:
The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). [Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40]
Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). [Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451]

Similar material can be found regarding the verse 17:64 in the Quran. So, i think thats clear enough.

No it is not clear enough I reject the quoted scholars interpretation of these Qu'raanic passages, finding the passages adequate in themselves.

If the matter could be so easily proven by the Qu'raan or by the Prophet's(pbuh)'s words as you suggest would the issue be the subject of debate with Islamic scholars supporting both stances?

Allaah knows best.

You reject the interpretation of Al Tabari? ok, so its aparently a matter of you not accepting the facts.

There are also a bunch of hadiths that CLEARLY shows the prohibition. I have the links for a couple in Arabic, if anyone can get the translation, i would appreciate it.

http://hadith.al-islam.com/Display/Display.asp?Doc=6&ID=51980&SearchText=%C7%E1%E3%DA%C7%D2%DD&SearchType=root&Scope=all&Offset=0&SearchLevel=QBE

http://hadith.al-islam.com/Display/Display.asp?Doc=5&ID=72365&SearchText=%C7%E1%E3%DA%C7%D2%DD&SearchType=root&Scope=all&Offset=0&SearchLevel=QBE

ma70 said:
You reject the interpretation of Al Tabari? ok, so its aparently a matter of you not accepting the facts.

There are also a bunch of hadiths that CLEARLY shows the prohibition. I have the links for a couple in Arabic, if anyone can get the translation, i would appreciate it.

THe conversation is going interesting.Why should someone except tabari interpretation and why are tabari interpretaions supposed to be always true????.

The person was asking about prohibtion of music in quran and not in hadiths,i think you don't need arabic,the whole quran is availabe in english.

p.ali

PluckyAli said:
The person was asking about prohibtion of music in quran and not in hadiths,i think you don't need arabic,the whole quran is availabe in english.

p.ali
No, I didnt get that impression considering samuel's first and last paragraph in his last post. Also, for the umpteenth time, you cant do without the Sunnah. We had a pretty big debate with some of those people who want to reject hadith completely and they were found to have no basis of thier own. So, we are not going to have a debate about this again, especially not in this thread. Lets move on from this stance of ignoring the Sunnah. End of story.

Ok, no problem. If you are not satisfied with that interpretation, lets forget even mentioning it. Allah ordered us in the qur'aan to follow Muhammad (pbuh). And the hadiths I provided CLEARLY prohibit music. So, following the orders of the prophet is following the commands of God.

Also, about having the Qur'aan in English, the qur'aan isnt your average book; where you read it and interpret the meanings the way you want. It takes scholars and A LOT of knowledge about the Sirah and Sunnah to even get close to interpreting the meanings.

No one can be Muslim by following the qur'aan ONLY. You need the sunnah and hadith. Why?, ill give one quick example. Muslims MUST pray five times a day, right? now if anyone denies that fact is concidered as a disbeliever since praying is the second pillar of Islam. I bet that you wont find ANYWHERE in the Qur'aan where it tells you how you exactly pray, or how many rak'as you pray for each prayer. Yet, all that is explained in the Sunnah. So, basically to be a Muslim you need to follow the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Without either, you will indeed go astray.

Allah knows best...

Back