Question

photon

Reaction score
I am puzzled as to why mysticism appears under the heading of Paganism. Some of the worlds greatest mystics were Christian Mystics which is hardly pagan.

Not all mystics are Christian, though - I agree it can cause some taxonomic problems, but generally I would see mysticism as more a method and approach, and it simply seems to make more sense to have it under a more neutral category like Paganism.

photon said:
I am puzzled as to why mysticism appears under the heading of Paganism. Some of the worlds greatest mystics were Christian Mystics which is hardly pagan.

that's a good question photon .... mysticism cuts across almost all religions in one form or another, christian mystics (the gnostics), jewish mystics, the sufi's, the druids, etc. it doesn't seem to fit well under paganism as a category. where would you place it photon? I'm not sure myself .... maybe 'alternative spirituality'???? hmmmmm, poh

The same could be said about magick. Mysticism and magick are more approaches rather than specific religions. They can be found in most religions in some form or other.

I don't know where it would make sense for forums dedicated to those two topics to be placed though. It's a tough call.

Back