Understanding and Respecting Fundamentalism

Hazratio

Reaction score
This is the intro to the latest draft of an article I've been working on--comments welcome! --hazratio
Those of us who are involved in interfaith and metafaith initiatives strive to approach all people of faith with respect and understanding. Where we fall short, at times, is with regard to fundamentalists in the Abrahamic faiths who seem— at least according to their creeds —to regard us as infidels or heretics.

In reaction to the systemic intolerance which we (rightly or wrongly) attribute to them, we tend to close our hearts and minds to the many positive elements in these decidely conservative traditions. In particular, those of us with Christian backgrounds are sometimes less than fair to those who speak from an evangelical Christian perspective, often understanding them— or, rather, misunderstanding them —in the worst possible light. A good remedy for such misunderstanding is Pastor Rick Warren's best seller, The Purpose Driven Life. [More]

i am picking up that book this week. my mom has been reading it & studying it with a group at church & she says it is the best.

not sure what that has to do with fund/evang & understanding or misunderstanding.

while i share most of the same fundamental beliefs, i do not share the attitudes & lack of love that is projected from denominations. And have found it very easy to slip into that mode when i watch it manifest.
but i would agree that the few who can do an interfaith will have a much better approach than those with the side blinders.

2 cents
& welcome aboard Hazratio:)

I think one of the key complaints issues behind a claim of "Fundamentalism" isn't so much an adherence to fundamental precepts, as much as a closed-mindedness and inability to accept being wrong. I guess you could say - an inability to accept to the limitations of Faith.

Even still, this is an argument that can certainly go full circle - it's easy to claim that someone else is being closed-minded, but too often the critical left or rationalists simply end up imitating the very attitudes that they are criticising other people for.

Overall, I think "fundamentalism" is a term easily used and abused - FaithfulServant I'd say is a good example of someone who would probably fulfill the technical definitions of what a Christian Fundamentalist is in terms of beliefs, but easily breaks free of the angry caricatures of fundamentalism, to present an approach to belief with humaility as valid as any other.

I said:
Overall, I think "fundamentalism" is a term easily used and abused - FaithfulServant I'd say is a good example of someone who would probably fulfill the technical definitions of what a Christian Fundamentalist is in terms of beliefs, but easily breaks free of the angry caricatures of fundamentalism, to present an approach to belief with humaility as valid as any other.

i think it is used & abused also.

what about me Brian? I am trying to be a good fundamentalist too:)

Indeed, my point was to gently criticise the (ostensibly tolerant, open-minded) left for its closed-mindedness when it comes to evangelical christians and "fundamentalists" of other faiths, as well. There is much we can do-- on both sides of the divide --to foster respect and understanding rather than suspicion and resentment.

Here, for example, is a wonderful page on The Beautiful Names of Allah. When those of us with Christian backgrounds read these-- with an open mind --we can hardly avoid identifying these descriptions with the God of the bible (at least that was my experience). And if you spend some time in The Sufi Message Volumes or reading The Daily Bowl of Saki on that same site, you will begin to see Islam in an entirely different light--even (so called) fundamentalism.

Thanks Bandit & I, Brian for sharing your thoughts...

Hazratio (aka Wayne)

Hazratio said:
Indeed, my point was to gently criticise the (ostensibly tolerant, open-minded) left for its closed-mindedness when it comes to evangelical christians and "fundamentalists" of other faiths, as well. There is much we can do-- on both sides of the divide --to foster respect and understanding rather than suspicion and resentment.

Here, for example, is a wonderful page on The Beautiful Names of Allah. When those of us with Christian backgrounds read these-- with an open mind --we can hardly avoid identifying these descriptions with the God of the bible (at least that was my experience). And if you spend some time in The Sufi Message Volumes or reading The Daily Bowl of Saki on that same site, you will begin to see Islam in an entirely different light--even (so called) fundamentalism.

Thanks Bandit & I, Brian for sharing your thoughts...

Hazratio (aka Wayne)

One should probably ask, what is fundamentalism in the first place? Is it extremism, radical thought, a rigid code of conduct?

At least for Christianity, I don't think there is such a thing as "Christian fundamentalism." So-called "fundamentalism" from my point of view is a "mis-interpretation" of the Gospel. I believe if the New Testament is read in the proper context, you will find that there is no so-called "fundamentalism."

However, I'm not saying that people with fundamentalist elements in their belief system are heretics or unbelievers. We must realise that everybody is at a different stage in their spiritual journey, just like we all (well, most of us) went through stages in our childhood refusing to eat our vegetables.

Some say the Christian faith "is not a religion" but "a relationship with God."

I agree partly with that.

I think a better way to word that is to say that the Christian faith is not an ideological faith, but a sentimental faith. It does not revolve around conformity to rules, regulations, observing limits or conforming to standards but around sentiment. At least from my view, sentiment is more important than conformity. God accepts us because our sentiments are right. He rejects us if our sentiments are wrong, not if we fail to conform.

A lot of people think we have to believe in certain dogmas and doctrines to enter God's Kingdom. As I said, it's not dogma that allows or bars us from entry to God's Kingdom, but sentiment. Dogma and sentiment is not the same thing.

I think fundamentalism should only be a temporary thing in anyone's spiritual journey. If it's permanent, then it may mean that you are not growing spiritually. You have not moved on; you have not grown new branches. Growth has retarded.

Christian spiritual life is not static. It is dynamic and constantly changing. We must be constantly adapting, developing and regenerating. Shedding old leaves and growing new ones in their place.

I think that this underplays the real dangers to wider society that fundamentalism brings. Daily we see the carnage and misery brought about by fundamentalism. The never ending stream of dead 'innocents' that pay the price for such extremes and their grieving families are becoming so much a part of our daily news that they go almost unnoticed.

Being pious and dedicated to your given faith is one thing but as soon as it steps over the boundary into intolerance of anyone outside that particular vision then it becomes a danger to society. I appreciate that there are many fundamentalist groups that do not espouse hatred or intollerance toward others but the word fundamentalism has very much become synonymous with extremists of a violent disposition. Unfortunately usage is what defines a word.

I believe it to be the duty of any human being to respect the beliefs of all others. This can at times be very difficult of course. Fundamentalism is not confined to Faith but is found in political ideology too and some argue that in todays world Capatalist fundamentalism is formenting other extremes. But in all cases it is up to the rational individual of love, compassion and tolerance to face up to the dangers extremes represent and to not tolerate them within their families, communities, faiths or governments. The only acceptable intolerance is of intolerance itself.

So 'understanding' fundamentalism is the duty of every individual. 'Respecting' it, like all respect, has to be earned.

Well said, TE.

Personally, I am waiting for both a spiritual and a political fundamentalism according to the second of Webster's definitions of the word ... i.e., a movement which emphasizes universal human rights as its basic principles, and which is energized (supported) spiritually and politically by its adherents worldwide. If this were the endeavor demanding understanding and respect, who could possibly be reluctant?
protokletos

Tao_Equus said:
I think that this underplays the real dangers to wider society that fundamentalism brings. Daily we see the carnage and misery brought about by fundamentalism. The never ending stream of dead 'innocents' that pay the price for such extremes and their grieving families are becoming so much a part of our daily news that they go almost unnoticed.

Being pious and dedicated to your given faith is one thing but as soon as it steps over the boundary into intolerance of anyone outside that particular vision then it becomes a danger to society. I appreciate that there are many fundamentalist groups that do not espouse hatred or intollerance toward others but the word fundamentalism has very much become synonymous with extremists of a violent disposition. Unfortunately usage is what defines a word.

I believe it to be the duty of any human being to respect the beliefs of all others. This can at times be very difficult of course. Fundamentalism is not confined to Faith but is found in political ideology too and some argue that in todays world Capatalist fundamentalism is formenting other extremes. But in all cases it is up to the rational individual of love, compassion and tolerance to face up to the dangers extremes represent and to not tolerate them within their families, communities, faiths or governments. The only acceptable intolerance is of intolerance itself.

So 'understanding' fundamentalism is the duty of every individual. 'Respecting' it, like all respect, has to be earned.

it is kind of weird. i see everyone as a fundamentalist in their own way.
almost like some people are afraid their beliefs or freedom of belief will be taken away. so some take on this war & vengeance attitude either to stay in the lime light or conquer those who differ.
then the filp side are those who just keep thier beliefs to themselves to keep the peace along with the ones who do not have the freedom to choose their own beliefs openly.

it most definately goes thru all walks of life, education also.

that was a good post Tao:)

I said:

The pressure!! hehe

I recommend watching the movie "Witness" starring Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. Fundamentalism at its worst and best, but mostly best.

v/r

Q

Back