Comfort Food

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
I have many favorites, but lately for some reason I've been addicted to jelly beans. And not just any kind, but the Jelly Belly gourmet kind. I will shop at a special store, out of the way, just to get them when I run out.

How about you? Any other snackers out there?

I'm not a snacker, but I have my comfort foods:

Bagels with lox and cream cheese and whitefish salad and some kugel
Soup! Any kind of soup! I love soup! Although preferably it should taste good.
Fish! Especially fresh fish! Fried, baked, broiled, such a comfort.
Chicken pot pie... not bought.
I'm not a big fan of turkey but stuffing makes me feel all gooey inside.
Latkes.
Pancakes and frenchtoast.
Fried liver.

That's my list of comfort foods. I love jelly beans. Have you had the Harry Potter beans? Some of them are absolutely disgusting.

Dauer

Oooh, that's a good list, dauer. Yumm. Except for the fish. I like fish, but I don't find it comforting in the least.

I have not tried the HP jellies yet. I think I should just for the adventure of it, break out of my shell a bit. But, I really really really do not want to eat a jelly bean called puke. I'm afraid then jellies would go off my comfort food list, and ice cream (Breyers natural vanilla with lots of chocolate syrup and maybe some pecans, and add a little carmel, and what the hey some whipped cream and even a cancer-inducing cherry) is more fattening.

luna

lunamoth said:
I have many favorites, but lately for some reason I've been addicted to jelly beans. And not just any kind, but the Jelly Belly gourmet kind. I will shop at a special store, out of the way, just to get them when I run out.

How about you? Any other snackers out there?

My weapon of choice is chocolate. Jelly beans hold no allure for me. So I speak to you honestly, as one concerned for your well-being. Come to chocolate, it will satisfy your soul as no mere glob of fruit flavored sugar-goo can.

Regards,
Scott

all you can eat alaskan snow crab.
peaches & pineapple with cottage cheese.
prunes & apple sauce.
peanut butter cups & butterfingers & all kinds of cookies.
cabbage is comforting too, if it has corn beef with it.
pretzels with mustard
ice cream
asparagus
spinach & artichoke pizza.
rice pudding
all kinds of nuts

jelly beans are ick.

Chocolate is definitely in my arsenal. :) This time of year, the Halloween to Valentine's Day stretch, is just full of temptation. Right now, in my basement, in a cupboard, without any locks, are bags and bags of chocolate bars for Halloween treats. We live in a neighborhood just full of kids. Jelly beans keep me from the richer stuff while satisfying my sweet tooth. But, there are times when only chocolate will do. I know a priest who is convinced that the resurrection body is made of chocolate. :)

dark choclate.

luna

Bandit said:
jelly beans are ick.

What! Blasphemy!

Bandit, you have a most unusual list. I think those are all of my father's favorite foods too, except for the cottage cheese. I like a lot of those down-home foods myself. Do you like sauerkraut with pork?

One of my unusual favorites, and I never ever make it, is new peas and baby potatoes in milk with butter. My grandmother used to make that for me every June.

prunes???

lunamoth said:
What! Blasphemy!

Bandit, you have a most unusual list. I think those are all of my father's favorite foods too, except for the cottage cheese. I like a lot of those down-home foods myself. Do you like sauerkraut with pork?

One of my unusual favorites, and I never ever make it, is new peas and baby potatoes in milk with butter. My grandmother used to make that for me every June.

prunes???

what jelly beans are ick? LOL they are nasty to me.
sauerkraut & pork is good too (with applesauce) but a little different than fried up cabbage.

i know i have weird taste buds but i like just about everything except jelly beans & spaghetti.
tomatoe soup with scrambled eggs mixed in is good also.
new peas go with a lot of things, like tuna salad.
i could pick at a skillet of yellow squash & fried potatoes all day & night.
Beets and red onions are yummy.
Baked Salmon with dill or capers is like soul food for me.
peanut butter on corn flakes is comfort food.

prunes & prune juice mind ya... 3 dozen cold oysters, slirp em down.:)
*burp*

Bandit said:
what jelly beans are ick? LOL they are nasty to me.
sauerkraut & pork is good too (with applesauce) but a little different than fried up cabbage.

i know i have weird taste buds but i like just about everything except jelly beans & spaghetti.
tomatoe soup with scrambled eggs mixed in is good also.
new peas go with a lot of things, like tuna salad.
i could pick at a skillet of yellow squash & fried potatoes all day & night.
Beets and red onions are yummy.
Baked Salmon with dill or capers is like soul food for me.
peanut butter on corn flakes is comfort food.

prunes & prune juice mind ya... 3 dozen cold oysters, slirp em down.:)
*burp*

I have a real appetite for tomato soup with slices of bread covered with peanut butter - then DUNK strips of the bread and peanut butter in the soup.
Who needs crackers, though crackers will do if there is no bread or no peanut butter - or those cheese and cracker sandwich snack packs will do.

Amen to everything but peas and prunes!

Regards,
Scott

Freshly baked bread, Navajo fry bread with real maple syrup, coco-almond meringue cookies (taste like Almond Joy candy bar, but a heck of a lot healthier), potatoes, rice, pasta, raspberry honey, most fruit, most vegetables, oatmeal...

I had better stop before I start raiding my pantry.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Hmmm, have to agree with Popeye on this...

I've been given over to the dark side, of chocolate that is. The darker the better!

And nuts (not crazy about peanuts, and pick out the cashews, yuck!). And good thick cut potato chips, plain, fried in peanut oil is best. White tortilla chips will do, dipped in hummus (a new favorite!).

Or navy or great northern white beans, with corn, a splash of olive oil and some garlic / cayenne / tumeric, dipped with the same kind of white tortilla chips...

Haven't had supper yet, now I'm getting hungry!

Oh! tried my hand at a batch of barley and mushroom soup...came out pretty good, a little bland but very filling! Gotta figure out what is missing...

lunamoth said:
bacon! (in your soup that is)
Nice try, but I don't do pork (as a rule). Haven't for years now. Besides, the origianl recipe (that I've misplaced) was from a good vegetarian Jewish friend. I know pork was not in her recipe!

Oh, and I neglected white chocolate from my original list. I know, white chocolate is not purist chocolate, but it tastes better than the "milk" stuff!

juantoo3 said:
Nice try, but I don't do pork (as a rule). Haven't for years now. Besides, the origianl recipe (that I've misplaced) was from a good vegetarian Jewish friend. I know pork was not in her recipe!

Oh, and I neglected white chocolate from my original list. I know, white chocolate is not purist chocolate, but it tastes better than the "milk" stuff!

oops. Where is that red-faced smiley when you need one. (I often use bacon to liven up some of my bland soups). Maybe tobasco sauce?

I've been on a hummus kick lately too. I've been buying it, rather than making it, because I can get some great red pepper and sun dried tomato kinds. Wonderful on pita, or any kind of sandwich.

lunamoth

Okay, well, now--I guess I must speak up.

Comfort food? Depends on the season. And what's up.

Y'all leave lunamoth alone--I was a total vegetarian for several years ( before they even coined the names for the various sects), and if there is one thing I learned, it is okay to have a little bacon or pork chop or loin on occasion--only if your God allows it and/or if your conscience can handle it. By the way--if you are a strict vegetarian? My advice is if you change your mind, DON'T start with bacon (no matter how good it smells.):)

But, fish...fish....fish...I love them and don't want to eat them, but I need them. I must eat them. All kinds of them. I just don't, often because most of the time (reluctant landlubber that I am, I can't properly participate in their demise--hardly anyone seems to know how to honorably serve them up.)

I won't even mention beef--there are only a few good reasons to talk about that anyway.

As for chocolate, my friends--for me, the darker the better, and semisweet. And who said something bad about those sacred cashews???

Well, I was going to start writing about the difference between Key limes and Persian Limes, but I just looked at the time....

Thanks for the comfort;) .

Night, Y'all,
InPeace,
InLove

But then there are the green things--(no, not frog legs--I have never tasted them and probably will not unless forced.)

But spinach---oohh, baby--sauteed, baked in some cheesy pie, even canned or boiled. Mostly fresh, though. Yummy, love in my tummy.:)

And asparagus. And green beans. And peas. All kinds. And shall we discuss the various greens of the farm and field? (As in salads?).

Going now---hungry--not much of a hunter, but a pretty good gatherer.

Bon Appetit'
InPeace,
InLove

Comfort foods for me would have to be:
  • Almost anything that is chocolate and moist, especially cookies with marzipan bits baked in.
  • And roast chicken, that is the tougher flesh just below the crispy skin - really lovely.
i Know there are more but i just can't remember... ^_^

Kindest Regards, Lunamoth!
oops. Where is that red-faced smiley when you need one. (I often use bacon to liven up some of my bland soups).
I feel the overwhelming need to explain and let you off the hook (there never really was a hook anyway!). In other words, no need for a red faced smiley here.

Mine was a conscious decision long ago. However, in accord with what I understand from the teachings of Paul, were you to invite me to supper, particularly not knowing I do not knowingly seek out pork, and supper was pork chops, I would gladly share what you offered with thanks. *I probably would not ask for a second helping*, but neither would I look down my nose or scrunch my face or make any ugly comments.

What a person chooses to eat is between them and God, just like so very many other choices we make in life!

Hi Juantoo3! Thank you for the kind reply. I understand completely. I don't drink, and given my druthers I would also avoid food cooked with alcohol, but if someone offers me a delicious meal cooked in wine sauce, I wouldn't bat an eye and would enjoy as I do pretty much all food, except lima beans. And okra.

juantoo3 said:
What a person chooses to eat is between them and God

And also sometimes between us and our hips. :)

lunamoth

Back