Psalm 104/Hymn to the Aton

Courtney00

Reaction score
These two texts are very similar. What are the differences between these two gods? Is there anything distinguishably different?

Courtney00 said:
These two texts are very similar. What are the differences between these two gods? Is there anything distinguishably different?

Did not Akenaten claim himself and his wife to be gods? The only gods? And did they not ban the historical worshipping of the many gods the Egyptians had prior to their (rather short lived) rule?

just a thought.

v/r

Q

Egyptian and Isrealite mythology contrast each other completely, the Egyptians' faith revolves around many gods that are associated w/ nature. On the contrary, Isrealite/Hebrew mythology has one god, Yahweh. Some how a diffrence such as this is present in psalm 104 vs Hymn to the aton. Or other differences between the gods. ie Yahweh acts in 'such-way' and Akenaton's god acts in another 'such-way'. I was thinking mayb that Yahweh is spoken of as a being while Aton is more of a presence (he IS the sun) any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There is certainly speculation that there is a connection between the two texts - and even that there was an influence of sorts between Egypt and the Jews theologically speaking.

Akhenaten is actually a favourite topic of mine, and I do have a few books on the Amarna period - the trouble is I can't see anyway to connect Akhenaten and the Jews without delving entirely into the realms of speculation.

For a start, which period of Jewish history is Akhenaten contemporary with? So far as I understand it, even this is quite a problem to determine, and people like David Rohl have made it quite clear that there are problems with the current Egyptian chronology, let alone the relationship to Jewish events and Egyptian chronology.

If you're looking for a theological connection than either Solomon or Moses would be obvious places to look - Moses as a figure bringing the embers of monotheism out of New Kingdon Egypt around an evolving form of Judaism is certainly not without some merit so far as speculation goes - but it is also without any evidence that I can determine.

Another possibility is of Solomon being contemporary - more interestingly, this means that Judaism could have been the influence over Egypt, rather than the reverse. However, again, it is extremely difficult to tie up Solomon and Akhenetan historically, so far as I am aware.

I believe there is actually a very extant historical record of the period in the form of the Amarna Letters, but I'm not aware of whom the contemporary ruler of Israel is supposed to be during that time, or even if that issue is addressed in the Amarna letters.

It's all issues like this that make the whole issue of the Hymn to the Aten and Psalms 104 very interesting indeed.

Biblical sources regarding Solomon and Egypt:
1 Kings 3:1 Now Solomon made a treaty with Pharaoh king of Egypt, and married Pharaoh’s daughter; then he brought her to the City of David until he had finished building his own house, and the house of the LORD, and the wall all around Jerusalem.
Pharoah's daughter could have brought the Hymn to the Aten with her when she moved to Israel.

1 Kings 11:40
Solomon therefore sought to kill Jeroboam. But Jeroboam arose and fled to Egypt, to Shishak king of Egypt, and was in Egypt until the death of Solomon.
{22nd dynasty Pharoah Shoshenq I? Much later than the 18th dynasty Ankhenaten.}

Intuitively, I have associated Ankhenaten to be closer to the time of the Hebrews' stay in Egypt prior to the Exodus, but cannot really confirm it through historical sources. If this is the case, it provides an interesting comparative interplay between Judaism, Zoroastrianism, {from Moses' 40 year exile in Midian,} and Egyptian religions....

Indeed, the marriage of Solomon to an Egyptian dynasty is an interesting link - but it doesn't say to which pharaoh, and marrying off the wider progeny to the neighbours doesn't seem too uncommon a tactic. :)

Courtney00 said:
Egyptian and Isrealite mythology contrast each other completely, the Egyptians' faith revolves around many gods that are associated w/ nature. On the contrary, Isrealite/Hebrew mythology has one god, Yahweh. Some how a diffrence such as this is present in psalm 104 vs Hymn to the aton. Or other differences between the gods. ie Yahweh acts in 'such-way' and Akenaton's god acts in another 'such-way'. I was thinking mayb that Yahweh is spoken of as a being while Aton is more of a presence (he IS the sun) any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Both religions are cosmic myths, i.e. stories of the constellations. YHWH is nothing more than a lunar god. Egyptian is primarily solar. Samson (meaning of the sun, from Shamash) represented the Hebrew solar aspect. Christianity would replace the solar aspect with Jesus, the sun following the moon.

Asian solar gods have halos or auras of a solar disc, long hair, are sexually driven (associated with the phallic eye or sometimes the cock/rooster) judges, and have strength in the summer months and wane in the winter months. They were also assiciated with lions (Leo/Asad) until the summer solstice moved into Cancer circa 1954 BCE when they became associated with barren births which later became virgin births. (All barren and virgin births I have found in ancient times have been associated with Cancer.)

Egyptian solar gods were associated with the lion symbol at least did Ra (Re) and Atum. When Aton came about the lion symbol would have been incorrect because the solstice had moved into Cancer. I would suggest this change caused Akenaton to reconsider his dieties based on shifting constellations and opted for a stable sun god around which everything seemed to revolve.

LOL, I seriously doubt it. Like I doubt you have all the answers. No god no master, nothing from nothing leaves nothing. You gotta have something if you want to be...

Back