Rule-followers vs Free-thinkers

Virtual_Cliff

Reaction score
I recently watched the film "Pleasantville" which portrays some people in black and white as "rule-followers" and some in colour as "free-thinkers". I think the implication was that free-thinking is a good thing but it brings problems with it.

When we look at the three Abrahamic faiths I think we see the same split: in the Church of England a schism is looming between the "rule-following" African churches and the more "liberal" British and American churches. Judaism is also divided along strict vs liberal lines. I understand the same tensions are also present in Islam.

Even this is an over-simplification, since each person stands somewhere in the range between following rules and thinking for themselves. Everyone has a line they will not cross.

Rule-followers are concerned about the erosion of their beliefs; free-thinkers are worried about the dualistic mindset that is often manifested in harsh regimes. Friction is apparently inevitable.

What I want to know is: is there a way we can get along harmoniously? Is there a way of learning from each other, of celebrating our differences? If so, how would it work out in practice? Or are we stuck with the notion that one is right and the other wrong?

languages and cultures and alterior motives prevent us from thinking the same. we will not have real peace until god changes our mind from what it currently is limited to do. whether we are rule followers or free thinkers, we are all under gods rule of only being allowed to do and think and live within the scope of mortal humanity.

I thought the questions were constraining enough.
is there a way we can get along harmoniously? Is there a way of learning from each other, of celebrating our differences? If so, how would it work out in practice? Or are we stuck with the notion that one is right and the other wrong?
but the response...
we are all under gods rule of only being allowed to do and think and live within the scope of mortal humanity.
yikes. But it appears to be an answer in a world of rule followers, unless we agree on the rule we won't find the solution. And in a world of free thinkers, we must accept the rule followers have their space.

World domination has been the mantra for ever in our ego based dualistic framework. Of course Plato, DesCartes, Jesus, Buddha, Rumi and so many more all saw something different...something bigger and better for us all... we don't all see that field beyond the space of right and wrong...

But as soon as enough of us do that hundred monkey rule can kick in!

namaste,

It's a good question, Virtual_Cliff - personally, in the context of organised religion, conservatism and liberalism are both useful dynamic forces working.

On the one hand, conservatism tells us that something is right, has worked, and should be expected to work in the future. On the other, liberalism questions whether something is right, has actually worked, and whether it's worth relying on for the future.

The tragedy is perhaps where these two forces work quite out of balance, with conservatism unable to accept new developments, but liberalism unable to maintain core values.

The distinction between "rules followers" and "free thinkers" could be a little unfair, though - neither following nor forsaking rules is inherently good.

I said:
The distinction between "rules followers" and "free thinkers" could be a little unfair, though - neither following nor forsaking rules is inherently good.

I agree, Brian, but often people speak as if there is only one right way of thinking. In another thread, one writer went as far as to say that s/he tries not to use their own thinking and wisdom, but always seeks the answer in biblical verses. Some people are more comfortable that way, and it has its merits. I often feel frustrated by this attitude and wish others would use a bit of common sense, but it would be arrogant for me to believe that I am cleverer than they are. Besides there are times when I also hold on to the rule even when there is no obvious reason to.

I wish there were a better dialogue. In football for example there is plenty of creativity in the gameplay, and (famously) things like team formation are under constant review without compromising the rules of the game.

There is a quote on the tip of my tongue that would more clearly express my thoughts but I can't quite remember it. It had to do with questioning everything. I am one of those people that has been asking 'why?' since I was old enough to speak (my poor mother). I know that there are rules in place for a good reason but I do not believe that we should blindly accept them. If whichever higher power you believe in has given you free-will and the ability to reason is it not our responsibility to use these gifts? I believe that in this duality as in all dualities there exists a happy medium.

Food for thought: I read a report a few months ago about this herd of turkish sheep that jumped off of a cliff. As sheep tend to do once the first one got it into it's head to jump the rest just followed. Most of the herd died or were badly injured but as the pile of sheep at the bottom got bigger it cushioned the fall of the others. This is an honest-to-goodness news report that was on MSN, not an entirely reliable source I know but either way I feel there is something profound to be learnt in this.

Back