Gospel of Thomas

Thank you.

But can it be added to the IO homepage apocrypha library, to complete the entry for the GoT?

There's a lot of stuff on Early Christian Writings
This site (Interfaith Forums) has an excellent library of apocrypha originally compiled by IBrian: https://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha/

It's very complete and a very good resource, but needs to be updated to include the full text of the Gospel of Thomas, because the full text has only been discovered recently -- after the IO apocrypha library had been completed.

So the IO apocrypha library Gospel of Thomas needs to be updated.

https://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha-gospel-of-thomas/

Apocrypha: Gospel of Thomas
the “scholars’ translation” of the gospel of thomas

These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

1 And he said, “Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death.”

2 Jesus said, “Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]”

3 Jesus said, “If your leaders say to you, ‘Look, the (Father’s) kingdom is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the

That's all there is...

Last edited:
This site (Interfaith Forums) has an excellent library of apocrypha originally compiled by IBrian: https://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha/

It's very complete and a very good resource, but needs to be updated to include the full text of the Gospel of Thomas, because the full text has only been discovered recently -- after the IO apocrypha library had been completed.

So the IO apocrypha library Gospel of Thomas needs to be updated.

https://www.interfaith.org/christianity/apocrypha-gospel-of-thomas/

Apocrypha: Gospel of Thomas
the “scholars’ translation” of the gospel of thomas

These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

1 And he said, “Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death.”

2 Jesus said, “Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]”

3 Jesus said, “If your leaders say to you, ‘Look, the (Father’s) kingdom is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the

That's all there is...
Thanks for pointing this out. There’s a lot that I’d like to update in sections, both for completeness and for grammar corrections.

My track record of timely updates on the site isn’t great. But I am trying to allocate more time this year to do such things on the site. I’m happy to have people help me, too :)

Reactions: RJM
Thanks for pointing this out. There’s a lot that I’d like to update in sections, both for completeness and for grammar corrections.

My track record of timely updates on the site isn’t great. But I am trying to allocate more time this year to do such things on the site. I’m happy to have people help me, too :)
Steve I don't even have wi-fi at home. I just use my phone, or sometimes I use a PC at the library.

Did Clement of Alexandria know of the Parable of the Fish in the form the Gospel of Thomas preserves?

"And he said, 'The human is like an intelligent fisher, who cast his net into the sea (and) drew it up from the sea filled with small fish. Among them he found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the sea (and) chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear should listen.'"
-Gospel of Thomas 8

"Among a great number of small pearls there is one, and in a great catch of fish there is the fine fish."
-Stromateis 1.16.3​

On the gnosticism of the 2nd century - Christians were not the only opponents. Many Platonic and Stoic philosophers also vilified gnostic teachings as being 'bad' or 'mob philosophy' it is a populist philosophy - all very attractive with a rich symbolism robbed from every philosophical tradition going, but in the end there are so many barriers between man and God - and the gnostic gods themselves act in the manner of totally vainglorious humans - motivated by ignorance, envy, greed, etc., that the comdemnation of Plato speaking of the Olympic pantheon applies equally in this case - if they are gods, then they ought to act so, and not display the worst facets of human nature.

It takes plagiarized thieves to know one! Paul's Christ was certainly a de-fleshed version compared to the four gospels claims of foot prints in the sand.

The new age christenings of prior traditions formulated it's own version that can be transposed on every ancient motif it belittles with intellectualism.

Back