Not a modern religion but nevermind.

..if krsna is the supreme reality of Godhead, then yes, perhaps Jesus would be an avatar of Krsna... yes, iskcon is hinduism, I would say, but worship of krsna is supposed to be beyond hinduism, as krsna is in everything...

that's my take on it, at least...

I have to admit, although I've got a couple of ISKON books, I know little about their core beliefs. However, I am under the impression that I've been told by Hare Krishnas that Jesus was an avatar of Krishna. I don't believe that would be a common viewpoint among Hindus.

Prabhupada had referred to Christ as a 'pure devotee' son of god - and not an avatar of Vishnu.

Prabhupada had referred to Christ as a 'pure devotee' son of god - and not an avatar of Vishnu.
Hello Vsnu.

I wonder if Prabhupada may have more than one position on this:
The father of the Krishna Consciousness Movement AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada once remarked: "When an Indian person calls on Krishna, he often says, Krsta. Krsta is a Sanskrit word meaning attraction. So when we address God as Christ, Krsta, or Krishna we indicate the same all-attractive Supreme Personality of Godhead. When Jesus said, 'Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be Thy name', the name of God was Krsta or Krishna."

Prabhupada further says: "'Christ' is another way of saying Krsta and Krsta is another way of pronouncing Krishna, the name of God…the general name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, whose specific name is Krishna. Therefore whether you call God 'Christ', 'Krsta', or 'Krishna', ultimately you are addressing the same Supreme Personality of Godhead…
Christ-Krishna Connection (Part 2)

Yes all religions are the one true faith.

I like this :)

As a Baha'i I believe the divine origin of nine religions, including Hinduism. I believe Krishna was a Manifestation of God. For the Baha'i sense of that, the Book of Certitude explains. (if you need an explanation.)

As mentioned earlier, the Baha'i Faith is Abrahamic, but also modern, as someone mentioned progressive revelation. I know the roots of Hare Krishna are very deep, Hinduism being a very old, if not the oldest, religion.

Prabhupada further says: "'Christ' is another way of saying Krsta and Krsta is another way of pronouncing Krishna, the name of God…the general name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, whose specific name is Krishna. Therefore whether you call God 'Christ', 'Krsta', or 'Krishna', ultimately you are addressing the same Supreme Personality of Godhead…

Yep. I don't know where I first read it, but I knew that the Greek word Christ came from the name Krishna.

Maybe I should clarify... I believe Christ and Krishna are Manifestations of God, but I also believe that God doesn't incarnate. Hard to explain? He manifests, doesn't incarnate... i.e. the Manifestations aren't literally God, but they reflect the Light of God and represent God to humanity. I'm not trying to debate at all, just wanted to clarify, since my previous post might have le to misunderstandings.

Yep. I don't know where I first read it, but I knew that the Greek word Christ came from the name Krishna.

Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". [1] In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed." [2]

Hello Vsnu.

I wonder if Prabhupada may have more than one position on this:
The father of the Krishna Consciousness Movement AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada once remarked: "When an Indian person calls on Krishna, he often says, Krsta. Krsta is a Sanskrit word meaning attraction. So when we address God as Christ, Krsta, or Krishna we indicate the same all-attractive Supreme Personality of Godhead. When Jesus said, 'Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be Thy name', the name of God was Krsta or Krishna."

hello Netti-Netti,

Im fairly certain that in this context he would be referring to the name Krishna meaning and being the 'all attactive' - and that any pure devotee could be referred to as the same. There has been phonetic 'like sounding' link made between these two names, but each have different base meaning in their native - KRSHNA (All Attractive-Black) CHRIST (Anionted).
It would be interesting to know if the Greek considers anionted and attractive to be the same!

Christ is the English term for the Greek Χριστός (khristos) meaning "the anointed". [1] In the (Greek) Septuagint version of the Old Testament, khristos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ,) (Messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed." [2]

Yep, the Greek word Χριστός was used as a translation of מָשִׁיחַ
...but I think the word itself, Χριστός, came from Krishna.

hello Netti-Netti,

Im fairly certain that in this context he would be referring to the name Krishna meaning and being the 'all attactive' - and that any pure devotee could be referred to as the same. There has been phonetic 'like sounding' link made between these two names, but each have different base meaning in their native - KRSHNA (All Attractive-Black) CHRIST (Anionted).
It would be interesting to know if the Greek considers anionted and attractive to be the same!

Maybe the first Greeks to use the word Χριστός were using it because of Krishna... from hearing people talk about Krishna, and maybe it came to mean Annointed because of what they had heard about the importance of Krishna.

Yep, the Greek word Χριστός was used as a translation of מָשִׁיחַ ... but I think the word itself, Χριστός, came from Krishna.[/QUOTE]

There is a name for the study of like-sounding words, but the name escapes me. It is a science however, and one frought with difficulty.

I read a Japanese article which drew a correspondence between the Japanese samurai warrior and the English morris dancer ... based on the prefix 'kemp' which is an old name for sword fencing — kempo — and the name of an ancient morris troop — the kempery men — who danced with sticks.

Highly unlikely though.

If you want to make the assertion, Dawud, you'd have to back it up with etymology. You could argue that Kurios — a Divine Name, also derives from Krishna ... but then it means 'Lord' and was used to translate the Hebrew Adonai, and was in use before it took on its religious connotation.

Similarly, Christ is from the Greek verb 'to annoint' — so you'll have to argue that Krishna was also known as the Annointed?

Why pick the name of a foreign deity to name your own, especially when you don't believe in the deity, or the doctrine? Is it not more likely you'd derive a name from your own tradition?

I'd like to see a lot more evidence before that premise is acceptable.

Thomas

I don't know where I read about it, but it wasn't my idea ;)

It was mentioned in this topic, but I'd read about it before.

Whether the words have any etymological connection, I believe both Krishna and Christ are in Paradise and in total agreement with each Other.

Back