Is this Buddhist thinking?

suanni

Confused
Reaction score
I have been told that this is Buddhist thinking.
To see the world as it really is, look at what is really there.
Is it?

Namaste Suanni,

thank you for the post.

suanni said:
I have been told that this is Buddhist thinking.
To see the world as it really is, look at what is really there.
Is it?

that seems like a sensible approach regardless of ones religious view, wouldn't you agree?

nevertheless, you are correct, Buddhists in general have that sort of view. of course, this may vary from being to being, you understand.

metta,

~v

Thankyou for replying Vajradhara
I think it is a sensible approach. I was trying to explain to look at the world as a child sees it, through fresh eyes and experience the magic of the world that is. That too often we go through life and see what we expect to see not what is really there. My thoughts....

In Zen they talk about "beginner's mind"

Yathabhutam = Shikantaza(spelling??) = "As it is"

suanni said:
Thankyou for replying Vajradhara
I think it is a sensible approach. I was trying to explain to look at the world as a child sees it, through fresh eyes and experience the magic of the world that is. That too often we go through life and see what we expect to see not what is really there. My thoughts....

Namaste and Salaam Suanni,

i would tend to agree with you. of course, we Buddhists do this as well.. it seems to be a feature of being human more than anything else :)

many times, this very phenomena leads to a great deal of what we Buddhists would call "dukkha", a state of emotional and psychological turmoil, as it were which can lead to an experience of unhappiness very quickly.

metta,
~v

I have been doing some digging about the net about Buddhist beliefs and I find that most of my 'natural thinking' is along the Buddhist line. I do believe that every person is born with their own code of conduct and seems that mine go along with this belief system.
In teaching my children morals I taught the simplest of all, my own major code 'Treat others the way you would like to be treat'. This though should be the base code for all.

Thankyou

thoughts...
suanni said:
...'Treat others the way you would like to be treated'. This though should be the base code for all...
The golden rule we grew up with aka "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" under scrutiny of the light has been deemed just a little arrogant, assuming others are just like me. So has been modified.

Do unto others as they would have done unto them.

Or

Treat others the way they wish to be treated.

Treat others the way they wish to be treated.
Perhaps how they want to be treated is not best for them.
Or even, perhaps they don't know how they want to be treated.

suanni said:
I have been doing some digging about the net about Buddhist beliefs and I find that most of my 'natural thinking' is along the Buddhist line. I do believe that every person is born with their own code of conduct and seems that mine go along with this belief system.
In teaching my children morals I taught the simplest of all, my own major code 'Treat others the way you would like to be treat'. This though should be the base code for all.

Thankyou
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. -Udana-Varga 5:18

a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another?" -Samyutta NIkaya v. 353

This issue is a beautiful case of dependent origination (pratityasamutpada.)

That is, a person's perception of their own behaviour has a proportional effect on its effect on other people.

To illustrate - If a certain friend of mine swore at me, it would be like any other day. It's how he expresses himself, and I don't take it as aggresion. If my mother swore at me on the other hand, I'd be taken aback.

So I think there're three levels to this, (a common occurance in Buddhist teachings.) The first is that you should be aware of your own reaction to something as "hurtful". The second is that you should be aware of the other person's reaction to something as "hurtful". The third is to take into account both sides of the story, since each is dependent on the other.

For a perception to manifest, one needs a perceiver and a perceived. Similarly, for pain to manifest, one needs a transmitter of pain, and a receiver - perceived or otherwise.

See the emptiness of self and other, of right and wrong, of suffering and sufferer, of samsara and nirvana. The excluded middle, free from all extremes, is the Buddha's middle way, the path to your own innate bliss, and true happiness.

seattlegal said:
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. -Udana-Varga 5:18

a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another?" -Samyutta NIkaya v. 353

This is how I see it...how can this be arrogant?
I do not wish to be lied to therefore, unless I know the truth to be extremely hurtful I will not lie to another
I don't wish anybody to steal from me so I don't steal from others.
I don't wish to be beaten up so I don't physically hurt another (unless of course its in defence of my own being)
I don't like anybody bringing an argument into my home so I will not argue with another in someone else's home
And so on.....now how can that be perceived as arrogant. Its thinking about your actions upon another and how it would hurt them
Thankyou for all your replies.

suanni said:
This is how I see it...how can this be arrogant?
I do not wish to be lied to therefore, unless I know the truth to be extremely hurtful I will not lie to another
I don't wish anybody to steal from me so I don't steal from others.
I don't wish to be beaten up so I don't physically hurt another (unless of course its in defence of my own being)
I don't like anybody bringing an argument into my home so I will not argue with another in someone else's home
And so on.....now how can that be perceived as arrogant. Its thinking about your actions upon another and how it would hurt them
Thankyou for all your replies.

I agree. Another way to phrase it (from the Gospel of Thomas) would be "do not practice what you hate." To practice what you hate is hypocrisy, which of course springs from arrogance.

Back