The sacrifice of Jesus

M

Mrs.Alhajjri

I am very interested in Christianity and I like reading the bible, but since I am not a Christian I will need some explanations to understand your faith completely, so I hope everybody bears with me.:)

What are the lessons we can learn from the sacrifice of Jesus?

God bless you all

Mrs.Alhajjri said:

I am very interested in Christianity and I like reading the bible, but since I am not a Christian I will need some explanations to understand your faith completely, so I hope everybody bears with me.:)

God bless you all
Hi Mrs.Ahhajjri and welcome to the Body of Christ.

First, may I ask if you have read the Bible through a few times first, especially the Book of Hebrews and Leviticus? [Since Jesus was a True Jew, we must in some ways, read it through OC "jewish eyes"].

Jesus had to fulfill all the requirements of the High Priesthood/Law and the Passover in order to be not only the atonement for Israel and Judah but for the world. This is why John the Baptist exclaimed "the Lamb of God" at His baptism.

John 1:36 And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, "Behold the Lamb of God!"

Luke 18:31 Then He took the twelve aside and said toward them, "Behold!!, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things having been written through the prophets about the Son of the Man shall be being accomplished.[#5055]

Jesus brought the New Covenant of His Blood so we could enter into His rest without the shedding of Blood, but by worshipping God in Spirit and Truth.
Sorry this is short but I will write more later.
Steve

Ezra 6:20 for the priests and the Levites have been purified together--all of them [are] pure--and they slaughter the passover for all the sons of the captivity, and for their brethren the priests, and for themselves.

To understand the significance of the Day of Atonement and its work, we must realize that while our Lord Jesus personally is the Chief Priest to the under-priesthood, the Gospel "Church", "his Body," yet in the more full and complete sense he is the Head and we are the members of the Body of the world's High Priest. In the end of the Jewish age Jesus offered himself individually to Israel as prophet, priest and king, typical or illustrative of the offering of the whole Body, the complete and glorified Christ, to the whole world.

-"The priests went always into the first tabernacle [the "Holy"] accomplishing the service, but into the second [tabernacle--the "Most Holy"] went the high priest alone, once every year" on this "Day of Atonement," which was repeated annually. `Heb. 9:7`

1 Peter 1:19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

Not as good, but a bit more simple.

One lesson is:

Those who selflessly sacrifice for another will be greatly rewarded in the Kingdom of Heaven. Those who are selfish and care not of the others around them will not earn that passage of paradise. Instead they will thrown into a lake of eternal pain and suffering, with their tongues aflaim so they cannot speak for it would burn them so. (I thought I would add some drama to it)

Sunday school version:

Be good, you see Jesus. Be bad, you go to... down there:rolleyes:.

Another lesson is:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (also know as the Golden Rule)

Sunday school version:

Give a cookie to get a cookie.

Yet another lession me maty:

Never give in, stand for what you believe in and defend it with your life.

Sunday school version:

Jesus died on the cross to also symbolize his love for his father.

There are many lessons about the death of Jesus of Nazereth. These are just a few simple ones.

PJ

Hi, Mrs.Alhajjri--Peace to all Here

For many, one Scripture addresses the sacrifice of Christ in the most direct and simple way: "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him will not perish but have everlasting life" --John 3:16. This is probably the most quoted Scripture in the Christian message, and for good reason. It is simply a good place to begin understanding the relationship between the Father and the Son, the nature of that Spirit, and the desire of the Creator to bring us into His eternal light of Love.

If one is interested in the above quote, then the best way to understand it better is to begin to study the Word sincerely in this context. One should open one's heart, mind, and spirit to God, asking Him for the ability to comprehend. And follow through on this study. A good study Bible helps, as well, but the most important thing is in each step to be in prayer. Accepting the sacrifice of Christ takes only a moment--understanding it is a lifelong process in which one grows to maturity in the Spirit.

I will be glad to help you find study material, if you like, and happy to pray with you anytime.

God will bless your sincere efforts--I know this for certain!:)

InPeace,
InLove

Thank you very much for your help and kindness. i really like this forum. i think i will learn alot from nice worshipers like you. :)

Mrs.Alhajjri said:

God bless you all

Those who accept the offer from Jesus, are saved. This means there will be no judgement of them as to whether their names are in the book of life, but there will be an accounting for what they did with their life, while here.

Instead of standing before God to determine whether or not they receive eternal life, or damnation, those that believe on the Lord and accept His sacrifice as an atonement for our sins (mistakes, foolishness, hatred, etc.), will stand before God to determine how good of stewards they were, of the wealth (figurative, literal, metaphorical, etc), they were given to manage while they lived on earth.

There are so many metaphors in the Bible that emphasize this point, such as the lamp under a basket, or the city of lights on the hill, the servants with various amounts of talents given each of them by the master, and what each one did with what was given to them. The prodigal son who returned to the father a broken man, is an excellent and heart rending story.

I would suggest, if I may, you start by concentrating on the Gospel of John (King James Version, modern), is a pretty good reading. If you can read Arabic, then I suggest the Coptic version, as this is very close to the original language and original scrolls, and other such writings of the original times.

At first, I would suggest the Gospel of John simply be read like one would read a good story. Dont' try to figure things out mid sentence. But if questions and thoughts come to mind, simply write them down for later reflection, then move on with the "story".

Then I would suggest that you ask the One God of the Universe, to help see what is truth. You can't go wrong here, because Jesus promises "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened for you."

Then, maybe you could let us know what you find...so far. ;) I know I would be extremely interested in your conclusions and thoughts.

Oh, and welcome to CR! May you truly enjoy your time here!

v/r

Q

For many, one Scripture addresses the sacrifice of Christ in the most direct and simple way: "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him will not perish but have everlasting life" --John 3:16. This is probably the most quoted Scripture in the Christian message, and for good reason. It is simply a good place to begin understanding the relationship between the Father and the Son, the nature of that Spirit, and the desire of the Creator to bring us into His eternal light of Love.
I would also like to add 1 John 2:2. Many instances we see different forms of the word "world" and I found this interesting. So we see that Jesus indeed came to the Lost Sheep of Israel First, to Redeem them and Preach the Good News of Eternal Life in Him and afterwards, the Apostles, including our Beloved brother Paul/Saul.
Steve

1 John 2:2
And he is the propitiation for our sins
For the sins of us who now believe, and are Jews:

and not for ours only;
but for the sins of Old Testament saints, and of those who shall hereafter believe in Christ, and of the Gentiles also, signified in the next clause:
but also for [the sins] of the whole world;

the Syriac version renders it, "not for us only, but also for the whole world"; that is, not for the Jews only, for John was a Jew, and so were those he wrote unto, but for the Gentiles also. Nothing is more common in Jewish writings than to call the Gentiles (amle) , "the world"; and (Mlweh lk) , "the whole world"; and (Mlweh twmwa) , "the nations of the world" ; (See Gill on 12:19); and the word "world" is so used in Scripture; see (John 3:16) (4:42) (Romans 11:12,15) ; and stands opposed to a notion the Jews have of the Gentiles, that (hrpk Nhl Nya) , "there is no propitiation for them" :................

Also let us not forget that Abraham had Isaac carry the wood for his own "symbolic sacrifice" and that word is used in many different ways also. Just as Christ carried the "wood" on His back, so did Isaac.

Genesis 22:5
And Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey; the lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you." 6 So Abraham took the wood [#06086] of the burnt offering and laid [it] on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together.

John 19:17 And He, bearing His cross [#4716], went out to a place called [the Place] of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha,

InChristAlways said:
I would also like to add 1 John 2:2. Many instances we see different forms of the word "world" and I found this interesting. So we see that Jesus indeed came to the Lost Sheep of Israel First, to Redeem them and Preach the Good News of Eternal Life in Him and afterwards, the Apostles, including our Beloved brother Paul/Saul.
SteveActually that is not quite correct. The apostles had nothing to do with Saul/Paul. They HATED the man. He religiously put early Christians to death, and was a devout Jew. He was doing what he thought was God's will (and he was enjoying it). Second, the apostles as you state, were all Jews, but I think you are referring to the "Disciples" of Jesus (but they were all Jewish as well). So Jesus went to them first (to carry on His work after). But while all this "recruitment" was going on, Jesus never once ignored the gentile. In fact, some of the most memorable of Jesus' acts were with gentiles, during his recruitment of disciples and apostles.

If you consider the story of the life of Jesus carefully, some interesting revelations present themselves:

The first to see Jesus and ponder (as in awe and wonder), were Jewish shepards. However, the first to actively seek Him out and pay homage to Him from before His birth, were Sages (Arabs, Asians, Persians). The first to lay riches at His feet, were not Jews, but gentiles. This is important, because it proves the scriptures "He came, yet they knew Him not." Strangers recognised Jesus as the Christ, yet His own people did not see this.

He never turned away a gentile, and in fact, some of the most prominant miracles were with gentiles, not Jews.

It is not surprising really. If one says, I will feed you, but you are not hungry, you decline. However if another is starving to death, their ears and eyes are exceedingly efficient at detecting stimulus that will lead them to life sustaining sustenance. Agreed? So if one sees or hears even a whisper or puff of smoke of life saving sustenance (of hope, beyond their wretched state), they are all over that. Their faith is almost desperate, and unbreakable.

woman at the well, Roman centurian, prostitute to be stoned, the 5000 fed, the bleeding woman at Jesus' cruxifiction walk, the faith of the brothers lowering the cripple through the hole in the roof. So many more gentile expressions of perfect faith. But the greatest to me was the centurian.

He said, I understand you Lord, because I am of some authority as well. I say come, or I say go. I say do this or don't do that, and my men carry out my orders, that I do not have to observe, I know it is done. So are like you...only say the word, and my servant is healed...I do not have to see it personally.

This Roman centurian (this gentile), had absolute faith.

The irony is that Jesus came for the Jews, and saved the gentiles first. He still waits for the Jews to accept Him, but He never put the rest of us on hold.

my thoughts

v/r

Q

He never turned away a gentile, and in fact, some of the most prominant miracles were with gentiles, not Jews.........
.........This Roman centurian (this gentile), had absolute faith.

The irony is that Jesus came for the Jews, and saved the gentiles first. He still waits for the Jews to accept Him, but He never put the rest of us on hold.
Hi Q. When reading the NT, sometimes it is hard to define the line between the jews, Israelites and gentiles. Another words there were Israelites that were not jews though all jews were Israelites, as God had put away Israel in the OT and they became "mingled" with the gentiles and thus lost their identity and were as "Lost Sheep".

But you are correct in saying Jesus did help the gentiles and that helped provoke the jews to be envious I think.
Deuteronomy 32:21 They have provoked Me to jealousy by [what] is not God; They have moved Me to anger by their foolish idols. But I will provoke them to jealousy by [those who are] not a nation; I will move them to anger by a foolish nation.
One example is in Luke 7.
The centurion ask the elders of the jews to go see Jesus, but they did it not because of their own faith in Jesus, but because the romans had helped built their synagogue. The gentiles also helped the jews with their own Temple as another example, but as we now know, God destroyed it later on as prophecied in Matt 23/24. Thanks for the post.
Steve

Luke 7:1 Now when He concluded all His sayings in the hearing of the people, He entered Capernaum. 2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear to him, was sick and ready to die. 3 So when he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to Him, pleading with Him to come and heal his servant. 4 And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, 5 "for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue."

And there is this famous passage in Acts:

Acts 13: 44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, "It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles/Nations. 47 "For so the Lord has commanded us: 'I have set you as a light to the Gentiles, That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.' "

It is very easy to determine who is whom. Jew, or not?

I was thinking more along the lines of Matthew: Matt. 8:5-13. Here the Centurian physically met Jesus (he didn't send servants to Jesus). He came to the Lord. And as far as worthiness, none of us are worthy, so that was mute. I wasn't interested in the synagogue, or who built the thing. It was the soldier man approaching the Lord with plain expectations, and a simple but profound understanding that God answers what is asked of Him, and a belief that the Lord would provide before the man ever saw the results.

I don't care about Acts. I didn't address Acts. Acts has nothing to do with your point about Jesus' life, or His dealing with Jews or gentiles first.

We are talking about JESUS' actions pertaining to Jews and gentiles, not Paul (who is way after the fact).

In any event this has gone so far from the original question presented by the originating authoress, that I submit we adjourn, pending her next question.

v/r

Q

Back