Turn the Other Cheek

turn the other cheek means to forgive others, to not take vengeance, to love one another, to pray for others, to humble oneself.

it does not mean be somebody's punching bag, or to not protect your family or country, or to be passively defiant and stubborn.

i would not use ghandi or martin luther king jr. or buddha as an example for peace when there is jesus christ to use as an example. jesus was without sin and the son of god; the others were just men with our faults.

BlaznFattyz said:
turn the other cheek means to forgive others, to not take vengeance, to love one another, to pray for others, to humble oneself.

it does not mean be somebody's punching bag, or to not protect your family or country, or to be passively defiant and stubborn.

i would not use ghandi or martin luther king jr. or buddha as an example for peace when there is jesus christ to use as an example. jesus was without sin and the son of god; the others were just men with our faults.

I believe therein lies the crux of the matter. To forgive one that is hated, is extremely difficult to do, and that is where Jesus steps in. We can't do it by ourselves (it goes against our very nature). We can't even forgive someone who cuts us off on the road...and we don't know them but for an instant...

But as simple as that, is the answer. If we let it ride, we have turned the other cheek. It wasn't a passive/aggresive maneuver on our part. It was a choice not to expand an issue beyond current proportions. If someone takes the parking spot we've been waiting for for five minutes, and we let it ride (I mean is it really worth it to blow a blood vessel over?), then we turn the other cheek. If our boss has the wrong idea about our work ethic, and comes down on us, do we get defensive and try to fight back? No. We ask, what we have done wrong, and how we can improve (we turn the other cheek).

If on the other hand, someone comes directly after us in a menacing manner, we stand fast to defend ourselves...that has nothing to do with turning the other cheek. That is survival. After all is said and done, we can consider forgiveness. (Adrenaline and forgiveness is like oil and water...one can try and mix them, but eventually they will seperate).

v/r

Q

seattlegal said:
Here is an illustration of a possible misapplication of the concept, but only because of the attitude displayed. It should be done in a spirit of mildness, but mildness can be a relative concept, depending upon the circumstances involved. In a very hostile environment, this example might be considered very mild.

:D that illustration fits me. ...aint seeing nothing but the tail lights...i mean moon light.
that was a good one, seattlegal.

Quahom1 said:
After all is said and done, we can consider forgiveness. (Adrenaline and forgiveness is like oil and water...one can try and mix them, but eventually they will seperate).
Q, this part of what you said reminded me of part of the training I once had (I've had it many times, actually - and in a way, we all have it every single day of our lives) ... on how to be a Totally Responsible Person ("TRP"). Part of a presentation from one of my teachers went thus:
[There are many who] recognize that "It has got to stop somewhere." They know intuitively what our elders have told us - what goes around comes around. They know that for an individual, or a civilization, to progress, a moment must occur when we stop blaming, judging, criticizing, venting our anger, harboring resentments and thoughts of revenge, and insisting that others apologize and take responsibility for what they have done to us. They know, as a panelist said on Meet the Press the day before the Million Man March, that "the oil of blame and the water of responsibility don't mix." They know that if we don't accept responsibility for every action we take and negative emotion we have, that the out flowing anger, resentment, etc. will continue to go around and come back to us creating more opportunities to learn until we get the message. Like the hero in the movie Groundhog Day, they know that we'll keep getting tested with opportunities until we get it right, i.e., that the cycle of negative emotions must eventually stop with us. They know that we must own every negative reaction, externally and internally, and acknowledge that it is self-created. Only full acceptance of this will change that negative emotional state to something more creative and productive. Their lives illustrate that they have done just that.

As Dolly Parton's character reminded us in the movie Straight Talk,
we must "Get off the cross, honey, somebody might need the wood."
I highlighted the part that you triggered in my memory, and now you can see the association with the Dolly Parton quote, as well. ;)

Shalom,

andrew

Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm, but he was teaching that a Christian does not need to pay back blow for blow, retaliating, taking vengeance. He was inculcating the principle of avoiding quarrels by not replying or reacting in kind. A slap on the cheek is not intended to injure physically but only to insult or to provoke into a fight. Jesus did not say that if someone strikes a Christian on the jaw, he should get up off the floor and hold the other side of his face for a target. What Jesus was saying was that if anyone tried to provoke a Christian into a fight or argument by either slapping him with an open hand or stinging him with insulting words, it would be wrong to retaliate. This is in harmony with the statements of the apostles, giving further emphasis to this principle.—Ro 12:17-21; 1Pe 3:9.

Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm

I disagree. There is no point to retaliation of any kind.

If you obey God, you're going to heaven.

Of what consequence is some pain in this life?

This life is a vapor...

Back