i think ive lost my drive to meditate...

toujour_333

a simple buddhist
Reaction score
i dont know what has happened to me. i used to meditate every day if not more than that. however, i havent meditated in a long time, months, and its starting to bother me. things are getting on my nerves and i feel worse about things that shouldnt bother me. however, im not sure how to get my strong drive for meditation back. every time i try to meditate now, i get side tracked or something happens and i forget or have something else that i have to do. this is really starting to bother me. i mean, my ideas and beliefs havent changed, so why cant i meditate? does anyone have any advice or has anyone ever been in a simular situation? please, any advice would be great.

be well in peace

toujour_333 said:
i dont know what has happened to me. i used to meditate every day if not more than that. however, i havent meditated in a long time, months, and its starting to bother me. things are getting on my nerves and i feel worse about things that shouldnt bother me. however, im not sure how to get my strong drive for meditation back. every time i try to meditate now, i get side tracked or something happens and i forget or have something else that i have to do. this is really starting to bother me. i mean, my ideas and beliefs havent changed, so why cant i meditate? does anyone have any advice or has anyone ever been in a simular situation? please, any advice would be great.

be well in peace

Yup. Go fishing...I'm serious. Go down to Albany, take a boat on the Flint River there, rig for bass, watch out for mamma "gator" and her babies, the snakes that want to be left alone, and start fishing. Fishing is a wonderful way to get back into your mind, and self. While you cast, you think, while you think you sort out your issues. After you sort out your issues your mind clears, then you can meditate, easily. If you catch a nice fighter, you can always release (I wouldn't since that is one hell of a supper).

You could even make it more of a challenge by taking the barb off of your hook. Trying to keep a fish on a barbless hook makes for much quick thinking...I assure you;)

Don't go with anyone else, don't take a cell phone or pager...this is your time. Don't take a gas outboard (as you don't need it on the Flint river), just an electric trawlling motor will do just fine (make certain your deep cell battery is fully charged).

Fiberglass/plastic John Boat purchase $400.00, battery $75.98, electric motor $118.00, pole/tackle/bait $100.00, license $24.00...

Time well spent alone...PRICELESS. :D

my thought

v/r

Q

Great advice, Q. :)
If fishing is not your bag, there are other things you can do.
Getting away and spending time alone can be accomplished by playing with clay in a secluded artist's studio, or just about anything. Go get unplugged for a while...

Toujour,

Please don't worry about it. I too go through phases of meditating.

Ironically, I find it's a lot easier to meditate when I don't really need it. When I'm feeling stressed or worried or just down. When my girlfriend has just left me or my winter gas bill has arrived. When I've had a tough few days at work and made some mistakes that are going to come back and haunt me any day now. I find that these are the times when it is hardest to meditate.

It's easy for a happy, calm man to sit down and be happy and calm, but it takes a lot more for a man with a troubled mind to quiet it. That requires effort.

Now I would love to tell you that I always exercise self control, that I always overcome the tempest in my mind by sitting, lotus position, in front of the shrine in my house and meditating. Sometimes I do, then again, sometimes I just go and get drunk with my friends.

It has been known for me to go for months at a time without meditating, but in the end, I always go back to my shrine and try it again.

So don't give up, but don't worry about it.

Also, before you take Q's advice, spare a thought for all those poor bass who were your mothers in previous lives.

Just a thought.

Peace
ATF

Namaste toujour,

thank you for the post.

the practice of meditation, within the Buddhist context, is quite important.. as you are well aware.

what may not have been explained to clearly, however, is the time requirements and frequency and so forth.

without being overly pendantic (hopefully)... have you heard of the Antidotes? within the context of Buddhism, there are specific things which we are encouraged to cultivate, depending on the situation we need help with.

for a mind prone to torpor, there are specific antidotes, for a mind prone to excitement, there are specific antidotes and so on.

with this in mind, if you are interested in an "orthodox" answer to the query, i can point you to the appropriate Sutta/Sutras.

now.. for my answer :)

it is my view that all beings undergo various cycles in their practice, alternateing between zealous and apathetic and usually titled towards one or the other. as Buddhism is the Middle Way, we would be well served to avoid either extreme.. however, humans are humans and we are often pre-disposed towards certain ideas, at least it seems that way to me.

holding a view of the Middle Way, we should try to strike a balance in our practice with our ordinary life and our other obligations. i find that this is somewhat difficult for me in many instances.

one of the things that helped my own meditation practice was (pardon the pun) liberating it from the cushion :) it was my experience that making the time to sit on the cushion wasn't always possible and i am interested in incorporating as much meditive practice as i can so... i use a Vajrayana method called "sky gazing". this is a meditive practice that you can do in your normal, everyday activities and, as such, you are able to continue with your practice even whilst attending to your obligations and duties.

sky gazing is meditation with your eyes open whilst engaged in your task. it is, in a very real sense, the Zen Koan "chop wood, carry water" made tangible and accessible.

we could talk about that more, if you are interested.

overall i would say this.. meditation is a skill that we aquire and hone through practice. that we miss some practices shouldn't produce a negative feel or emotional state since we are not doing this for someone else. there is no one to be let down if we miss sessions and no one to impress if we attend them all.

in my own case, when i was feeling apathetic towards sitting meditation, i tried to compell myself to sit for the requisit time. i often had a poor experience as a result. consequently, i changed my sitting times to correspond with my inclination at the time. some sessions, i am only able to sit for 2 or 3 minutes before i must get up... other times, it seems like hours and hours. it may not feel "right" but sitting for 2 minutes in a correct way is better for us than spending hours sitting incorrectly :)

of course, my response is predicated upon my own experience and understanding.

metta,

~v

It's been a while so I thought that I would take break from imputing myself as observer and impute my sense of "I" on this screen name for a minute.

Following my own understanding; we generally have two forms of meditation a more crude form which is an analytical meditation where we contemplate a certain Dharma instruction and the more subtle placement meditation where after contemplating said Dharma instruction we reach a conclusion or develop a virtuous state of mind and place our mind on that single pointedly for as long as possible.

The analytical meditation is always open to us as we don't have to have perfect conditions to perform it. Although the sitting meditation is very important in order to really familiarize ourselves with the teachings, I would say that our constant mindfulness and application of Buddha's teachings during the meditation break or time away from sitting meditation are of much more importantance.

"Always rely on a happy mind alone.":D

Good luck and know that you can always come back here for support.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Also, before you take Q's advice, spare a thought for all those poor bass who were your mothers in previous lives.

Just a thought.
Peace
ATF

Awwww, them "poor bass" will keep me strong and full of life. The healthy oils and fatty acids they have can be found no where else easily, and besides, they can jump hook (often do). That is why I suggested barbless hooks. Man needs a challenge. Bass love to challenge. Bass Babies and Mommas go back, old fighters that lose go in the pot, and keep another family alive...:cool: (mine)

When I get buried at sea, they have the chance to get a piece of me...the cycle will start all over again for them stripers...;)

Seriously, it was the quiet time fishing brings, that I was trying to emphasise, not the catch at the end of the day.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Seriously, it was the quiet time fishing brings, that I was trying to emphasise, not the catch at the end of the day.

v/r

Q

Namaste Q,

so, you were offering an example of a task which one is able to become fully absorbed, in a sense, which, in turn, lessens the sense of constraint upon ones consciousness?

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Namaste Q,

so, you were offering an example of a task which one is able to become fully absorbed, in a sense, which, in turn, lessens the sense of constraint upon ones consciousness?

metta,

~v

Initially, the task requires focus. This makes not much time for anything else to cloud one's thoughts. Afte setting up and settling down, the act of fishing becomes autonomous and rhythmic, and leaves the mind to let go. The scenery around one, the sound of the water, the quiet peace allows for one to relax, for the body to slow down, and the soul to become still.

This all helps set the stage for the mind to reach out, expand and explore the vastness of inner self or outer self, depending on which way one wants to go.

In short Vaj, Yes! ;)

hey it works for me...

v/r

Q

I'm not a fisherman, but I don't see anything wrong with fishing for food, even for Buddhists. As long as you penetrate deeply and understand the interconnections, as long as fishing is done with respect for the animal and an appreciation of its being a source of nourishment, I think we are well within the bounds of Buddhism. Traditionally, American Indians, as well as others, demonstrated a deep respect and appreciation for the animals that they used to sustain themselves, and I would consider them, in their indigenous way of life, to be firmly established in the Buddha's middle path.

Fishing can be meditative, for sure. Many things besides strict sitting meditation can be part of practice. I try to bring myself into a meditative space often when I am out in nature--hiking, gardening, canoing, or even a walk through the park in town are all great opportunities to practice being in the moment and in tune with surroundings. I also use art, music, and cooking as meditative tools. Sometimes these things are simply therapy, rather than a concentrated meditation, but I think that's great, too.

For me, sitting meditation is probably less than 5% or my spiritual practice. I just don't consider it the foundation at this point in my life. As far as toujour's original post, there seems to be a lot of frustration there--almost a "what's wrong with me, why can't I meditate" sort of phenomenon. I used to feel this way sometimes, when I was really strict about meditation as a routine: twice a day. But ultimately, that's what it was: routine. Sometimes, sure, I'd have some really wonderful experiences meditating, but other times it was thirty minutes or more of "um, gotta concentrate... mantra... mantra... man--hey, so what am I going to--er, wait! Mantra! Matnra! Wow, so the other day--Dammit!!! Mantra! Mantra!!! Mantra!!!!" And then, "Hey, how long has it been? Open eyes and look at watch? No... no... why not? No, yes, no, yes, no, okay..." and I'd look at my watch and be mad at myself because only ten minutes had passed.

What kind of practice is that? What was I getting out of it? I'd beat myself up for not being steadfast enough, or I'd get done and feel so tired, or I'd fall asleep fifteen minutes in, or I'd get done and just be in a funk because I had tried so hard, but missed the mark. Part of that may have been because I had some preconceived notions about what a half-hour of sitting meditation should be, but I really think that the root of the problem was that I was forcing myself to practice in a way that was unnatural. These days I just flow, and when I do meditate--maybe once a month--I usually have a great experience.

So, I'd agree with Q. :confused: :eek: :) Go fishing. Garden. Take a walk. Throw some pottery on the wheel. Take a guitar to the park. Be you, and be immersed in being you. That's good medicine. :)

Pathless said:
So, I'd agree with Q. :confused: :eek: :) Go fishing. Garden. Take a walk. Throw some pottery on the wheel. Take a guitar to the park. Be you, and be immersed in being you. That's good medicine. :)

LOL That's twice... ;)

i want to thank everyone on here for all the great advice. it has actually helped boost me back into my meditation. i started back a few days ago and it was so nice. however, al of the advice that i got on here also made me think more about my meditative practice and the limitations that i have put on it and im starting to explore more options. i appreciate all that everyone here has done to help and i could not express my appreciation completely in words. thank you all so much!!!

be well in peace

Namaste all,

just an aside... and it sort of depends on if one is a monastic or a layperson, to a large degree...being a "fisherman" is specifically identified as being part of "wrong livelihood" as fish are meat which the Vanijja Sutta explains is not correct livelihood for a lay person.

the strictures placed upon the monastics are much more extensive.. in theory, it is permissible for a lay Buddhist to be engaged in the business of palmistry, however, this is considered to be wrong livelihood for a monastic.

metta,

~v

Vajradhara said:
Namaste all,

just an aside... and it sort of depends on if one is a monastic or a layperson, to a large degree...being a "fisherman" is specifically identified as being part of "wrong livelihood" as fish are meat which the Vanijja Sutta explains is not correct livelihood for a lay person.

the strictures placed upon the monastics are much more extensive.. in theory, it is permissible for a lay Buddhist to be engaged in the business of palmistry, however, this is considered to be wrong livelihood for a monastic.

metta,

~v

Well, the layperson could do the other side of fishing...cut bait, couldn't couldn't he? :D

Back