Muhammad peace be upon him, rich?

Light

Reaction score
I read some post here that claims Muhammad, peace be upon him is rich. I wonder what makes the author to derive to such conclusion.

Let discuss this and see if there is any basis or truth to that statement.

Light said:
I read some post here that claims Muhammad, peace be upon him is rich. I wonder what makes the author to derive to such conclusion.

Let discuss this and see if there is any basis or truth to that statement.

As a Muslim I must agree whole heartedly that the Holy Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. was indeed RICH and WEALTHY.....in virtue and conduct :).

Yes, in virtue and conduct. However, there are people whom blatantly said that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is not a true propet because he is rich (in wealth).

I just wanted that person to come up and explain why he said that and for what reason? I have read the biography of Muhammad, peac be upon him, and have found none to support that. In fact he appears poorer after prophethood where there are times, as narrated by Aisyah, prophet house does not lit fire (to cook) for months.

Yet, I can't believe it that people whom do not have knowledge of his virtue and sincerity can say such things. He is a mercy to all mankind, if only they knew.

Light said:
Yes, in virtue and conduct. However, there are people whom blatantly said that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is not a true propet because he is rich (in wealth).

I just wanted that person to come up and explain why he said that and for what reason? I have read the biography of Muhammad, peac be upon him, and have found none to support that. In fact he appears poorer after prophethood where there are times, as narrated by Aisyah, prophet house does not lit fire (to cook) for months.

Yet, I can't believe it that people whom do not have knowledge of his virtue and sincerity can say such things. He is a mercy to all mankind, if only they knew.

Indeed, he was poorer after the revelations given to him (as most prophets do suffer this). However, secular history paints Muhammad as rather well do do prior to his receiving revelations leading to the beginnings of Islam. Perhaps that is where the error lies with those who claim him to be rich. The same can be said of many of the Christian Apostles, after choosing to follow Jesus (e.g. they lost every material thing).

Somehow, I doubt any of the Apostles, or Prophets of God, much cared for their material loss, once they saw the truth...;)

v/r

Q

Indeed, you are right. There is no easy path to righteousness. Do we think that Allah will give us paradise so easily? In this world, success comes from hard work. Same too for paradise. How do we get paradise? This is where we differ between religions (ie Christian, Jews etc.), Muslims perform prayers and other religious activities as how Muhammad, peace be upon him, once performed.

Muslims regards Muhammad, peace be upon him, as the best role model to follow. That's why his biography and traditions are well kept by earlier Muslims so that we at this current age can follow.

He is the most documented individual in history. Every little actions he does, was recorded and practised by companions. From, observing the rules of engagement at war up to the smallest actions of drinking water. In fact, it goes further to even how to consumate your marriage.

The beauty of his teaching is that he teach by examples and does not command others to do things that he himself doesn't do.

I have to say Muhammad, peace be upon him, is the greatest prophet of all time. It is a known fact and even non-muslims agree. I don't have to reference this as it is well mentioned in CR.

As for those who say that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is not a Prophet, he is both deaf, blind and his heart is sealed. Therefore, only Allah will repay his deeds. Amiin.

Light, what do you mean by 'CR'? Do you mean 'Comparative Religion' as a discipline? Or maybe 'Comparative-religion.com'?

-Plus, on the topic of the wealth- Since Zakat is one of the foundational concepts of Islam, whether he was rich or not seems immaterial....What wealth he had prior to revelation would be distributed after revelation, and if he became wealthy after revelation, is this implying that he was the 'steward' of the Ummah (who were accumulating money for charity), and by that rationale he was wealthy?

Now if they are stating that he was wealthy (monetarily) in spite of Zakat, that's a whole other issue, yes? By somehow implying greed or attachment to material wealth... Was this a statement on Interfaith Forums? Or something from external scholarship?

*really just kinda thinking out loud, sorry for rambling*

Sub

Light, what do you mean by 'CR'? Do you mean 'Comparative Religion' as a discipline? Or maybe 'Comparative-religion.com'?
It's Comparative-Religion.com

-Plus, on the topic of the wealth- Since Zakat is one of the foundational concepts of Islam, whether he was rich or not seems immaterial....What wealth he had prior to revelation would be distributed after revelation, and if he became wealthy after revelation, is this implying that he was the 'steward' of the Ummah (who were accumulating money for charity), and by that rationale he was wealthy?

Now if they are stating that he was wealthy (monetarily) in spite of Zakat, that's a whole other issue, yes? By somehow implying greed or attachment to material wealth... Was this a statement on Interfaith Forums? Or something from external scholarship?

*really just kinda thinking out loud, sorry for rambling*
That is what I wanted to set right. I've read some post CR (short for Comparative-Religion.com) that denies Muhammad, peace be upon him, as a prophet because he was rich. I wanted to refute that because our beloved prophet s.a.w wasn't rich as claimed and also he is a true prophet.

One of the main characteristics of a prophet is that they are trustworthy and was guided by God even at the young age. He s.a.w has these characteristic and even the Makkan people nicknamed him 'the trustworthy'.

Wallahu alam...

Salaam/Peace,

Even if prophet Muhammad pbuh was rich materially whether before or after the Revelation it does not disqualify him from his Prophethood. After all, we have a line of Prophets who can be said were wealthy:
1) Moses pbuh--grew up in the pharaoh's family, in a palace. Lost everything after he was revealed the Truth, but later became a leader of people, etc.
2) David pbuh--after all he was a king, no?
3) Solomon pbuh--king as well.
etc.
Why wouldn't God Almighty give His prophets wealth of this and the next worlds? I personally do not see anything wrong with it.
Secondly, Prophet Muhammad pbuh showed to be a great leader, statesman and believer. He was able to stay on the Path that he was called to despite the hardships, united the warring arab tribes into one kingdom, fullfilled his mission to make social reforms regardless of how small they may appear today according to some. He was respected before his Mission and became one of the giants of our history, whether some like him or not. He had the faith which is one of the best riches a person may have. Also knowledge of the Truth, courage to face those who denied the Truth, courage to stand up and change certain things in the society of his time that were horrible.
The pagans offered him the riches to quiet down about Islam. He refused their offers and chose the path of being rather driven away from his city than leaving Islam.
He married women who were honorable and respectable and made friends with people who showed to be men worthy of respect. God/Allah Almighty promised him and believers riches of Heaven, so why wouldn't he be wealthy?

Allah had made out prophets...peace and blessing be upon them all...from familys of a good status and is always in islam there is a reason for this...a reason of the prophets coming form respectable and 'wealthy' families...this was so tthat whenn a prophet had recieved revelation it could not be said he did it to raise the status of his family...as for wealth...we know that all the prophets...alaihimus salam...did not depend upon worldly possesions or wealth...

Allah had made out prophets...peace and blessing be upon them all...from familys of a good status and is always in islam there is a reason for this...a reason of the prophets coming form respectable and 'wealthy' families...this was so tthat whenn a prophet had recieved revelation it could not be said he did it to raise the status of his family...as for wealth...we know that all the prophets...alaihimus salam...did not depend upon worldly possesions or wealth...[/QOUTE]

Alhamdulillah... Bro Zakir you are correct. May Allah increase our imaan and takwa. Glad to read such statement from a recently reverted brother.

Masyallah...

salaam /peace to all;

...... there are people whom blatantly said that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is not a true propet because he is rich (in wealth).

being rich is not a sin/crime. Prophet Solomon/Solaiman (pbuh ) was very rich....he is a respected Prophet (p) in Islam , Judaism & Christianity.

Back