The One or Many?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by redindica, Apr 18, 2006.

1. redindica

redindica New Member

Dear Friends

I was reading the Islamic section of this site and was struck by one Muslims view on how we Hindu’s regard God and the forms in which we have decided to represent the One Truth.

Please read.

So how many of us belive that there are liturally millions of Gods as insisted by Aidyl Nurhadi.…and that they are not abstract representations of the Ultimate Unknowable but as real as The Prophet.

Peace
    redindica

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I not being Hindu but very interested in understanding other belief systems look forward to this discussion.

I've had some great discussions with Hindu priests and one that really enlightened me was when he told me, (paraphrased), "To my daughter I am her father, to my nephew I am his uncle, to my mom I am her son, to my sister, I am her brother, to you I am a priest....but it is all me, Krishna is the same, many faces, one G-d, it all depends on your perspective, your situation, how you percieve the one G-d."

3. Agnideva

Agnideva Member

Namaste Redindica,

Yours is definitely an interesting question. I wonder about this too. Strictly speaking, I don’t think Hinduism overall could be labeled monotheism, polytheism, henotheism, panentheism, or pantheism. I think elements of all these theisms are found in Sanatana Dharma. If you ask most Hindus, they will likely tell you there is One Divine, but chances are they will also not say there is only way to represent, reach or commune with that Divine. Multiplicity in Hinduism is seen as a byproduct of creation. To see the oneness through the multiple, or to “know” the abstract formless through concrete form in Hinduism would be considered, if not realization itself, a great leap toward that end.

A relevant passage:

Sage Kutsâyana's hymn of praise:

Thou art Brahmâ, Thou art Vishnu, Thou art Rudra, Thou Prajâpati, Thou Agni, Varuna, Vâyu, Indra, Soma, Manu, Yama, and Bhumi (Earth). Thou art All, Thou art the Imperishable. In Thee all things exist in many forms, whether for their natural or for their own (higher) ends. Lord of the Universe, glory unto Thee! Thou art the Self of All, Thou art the Maker of All, the Enjoyer of All; Thou art all life, and the Lord of all pleasure and joy. Glory to Thee, O tranquil One, the deeply-hidden One, the Incomprehensible, the Immeasurable; O Thou without beginning and without end.

-Maitriyani Upanishad (V.1) of the Sâmaveda.

OM Shanti,
    A.

4. redindica

redindica New Member

Namaste Agnideva & wil

Thank you for your thoughts. Agnideva as you have pointed out I think it's a bit simplistic to encompass the Creator with just one way of looking at the creative force which some label as God. We can see this by the complexity of the Universe where we have multiple disciplines to explain its (natures) mechanisms. The one unified theory still eludes us does it not?

Thank you both again. Any more thoughts most welcome.

Peace
    redindica

5. AletheiaRivers

AletheiaRivers New Member

Beautiful.

6. PrachandaChandikA

PrachandaChandikA New Member

Hinduism is worship of the one god in it's many forms. Some worship as if brahma's aspect are different and seperate (which is true) and some intellectually theorise them to be the same. The universe is fragmented as we see it, but deep down it may be a continum...same with God and Gods. The key in hinduism is trying to know God and be one with him/her or his one particular aspect-the chosen deity.

7. redindica

redindica New Member

Hi All

thank you for the various qoutes and thoughts....much to ponder.....I've come across another quote which I think will add to this thread.
    Peace :)