Greeting an Imam

subculture_of_one

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am taking several of my comparative religion classes to an Islamic Center next week and I was wondering if there was a specific greeting one uses to greet an Imam. Also, if one is not a Muslim, is the greeting "Asalaamu alaikum" appropriate or is this an 'inter-religious' greeting only?

Sub

subculture_of_one said:
Hi all.

I am taking several of my comparative religion classes to an Islamic Center next week and I was wondering if there was a specific greeting one uses to greet an Imam. Also, if one is not a Muslim, is the greeting "Asalaamu alaikum" appropriate or is this an 'inter-religious' greeting only?

Sub
h| Sub,
No, there is no specific greeting for an Imam. He is a muslim, so you greet him with "Asalaamu alaikum" if you like. Its not an inter-religious greeting in the sense that a non-muslim cant use it. It means 'Peace be upon you', so no restriction there. You can say hi or hello as well... no problem there either.
One thing does come to mind.... the use of the greeting will probably give him the impression that you are a muslim, which i guess from your post that you are not. So, better to remove any misconception in that regard soon after the greeting which you probably will when you introduce your group. If you already called ahead to let them know you are coming, so in that case, they would already know.
Let us know how the trip went.
regards,
thipps.

How would one simply say "Sir"? in a respectful manner, without trying to fumble over protocol?

Thanks Thipps, I do plan on speaking with him personally before we head out there. Having about 150 students show up without much prep can be a flustering event. The Imam has been working with faculty members at my institution for several years, I am a new faculty member and I haven't met him yet. Plus, I look more like one of the students than the prof... :D
I was more curious on a general level mostly.

Quahom1, I plan on speaking to him as 'sir' as you mentioned 'fumbling over protocol' can be uncomfortable and (usually) lead to more uneasiness, whereas I think most people who try to learn a little something beforehand are trying to steer clear of such things.

I like to give my students a general primer before any trip, and (for instance) before we went to a Synagogue I told my students the common greeting of 'Shabbat Shalom' or 'good shabbos' might be heard. I was familiar with the general use of 'a.a', but wondered if there was something more.

In any event, thanks. We will be going on Saturday April 29, so I'll give a little summary afterwards.

Sub

Quahom1 said:
How would one simply say "Sir"? in a respectful manner, without trying to fumble over protocol?
h| Q,
Just be nice like you would be to any stranger to whom you come to meet for the first time. If the Imam seems fussy over protocol, something isnt right. He shouldnt be concerned with such things.
I dont see any need to call an Imam 'Sir'. You can ofcourse if you like. Saying 'Sir' is enough respect already I think, so you shouldnt worry.
best regards,
thipps.

I don't think this Imam is too concerned with protocol, afterall he is welcoming 150 students of very diverse backgrounds openly to his center.

Plus, in this particular area in Michigan, there was recently a city hearing concerning the establishment of a Mosque near a residential neighborhood. An unfortunate amount of people from the community showed up at the meeting to voice their concerns over 'traffic' problems on the street that would arise from such an establishment. This will be a great opportunity for the Mulsim community and my students to meet.

Sub

-plus- I usually err on the side of politeness anyway, calling anyone I engage with in a formal/business setting as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

thipps said:
h| Q,
Just be nice like you would be to any stranger to whom you come to meet for the first time. If the Imam seems fussy over protocol, something isnt right. He shouldnt be concerned with such things.
I dont see any need to call an Imam 'Sir'. You can ofcourse if you like. Saying 'Sir' is enough respect already I think, so you shouldnt worry.
best regards,
thipps.

Sorry, I meant how does one say "Sir" in Arabic...;)

Quahom1 said:
Sorry, I meant how does one say "Sir" in Arabic...;)
Well when a Muslim or more specifically Arab addresses a respectable individual he or she may address him as Ya Saiyidi or Ya Sheikh or Ya Saheeb or Ya Hakeem or even Ya Mu'aleem. Saiyid is probably the closest Arabic equivalent to the English 'sir'. Mu'aleem means learned man and Ya means Oh. So Ya Mu'aleem means Oh learned man. I hope this helps lol...

Aidyl Nurhadi said:
Well when a Muslim or more specifically Arab addresses a respectable individual he or she may address him as Ya Saiyidi or Ya Sheikh or Ya Saheeb or Ya Hakeem or even Ya Mu'aleem. Saiyid is probably the closest Arabic equivalent to the English 'sir'. Mu'aleem means learned man and Ya means Oh. So Ya Mu'aleem means Oh learned man. I hope this helps lol...

And of these five addressals, which is the most respectful for a non-Arab to use when addressing and Arab man or an Imam?

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
And of these five addressals, which is the most respectful for a non-Arab to use when addressing and Arab man or an Imam?

v/r

Q

Well any of the five addressals would do just fine....you could also just call him ya akhi(oh brother).

Aidyl Nurhadi said:
Well any of the five addressals would do just fine....you could also just call him ya akhi(oh brother).

Would that it be that simple...:eek:

v/r

Q

Would that it be that simple...:eek:

v/r

Q

Yes, it is that simple. The point is to address him politely as you would address any other person or best still is to address him as how you wanted others to address you.

:)

I think what Q was talking about, Light, is the 'brother' part. The "we are all brothers (and sisters), but too few of us act like it." meaning of his statement. I could be wrong though... :)

Sub

Back