Interfaith Dating

NoName

Reaction score
I am not sure ware to ask this qustion, but what are your views of people of difrerent religons dating and marrying each other.

I know a number of Protestants married to Jews.

I know Protestants married to Catholics.

I know people who have changed their faith during the course of a marriage.

Me personally while I don't object I think it would be easier to have spirituality as something you agree on...but it appears to work for many.

"Where shall we go to church this week. Honey?"

I suppose it could work out. Friday, one could go to the mosque, Saturday to the synagogue, early Sunday morning to Mass, late Sunday morning to Baptist service (with dinner on the grounds afterwards. You know how much Baptists like to fellowship!). Everybody's happy!

Seriously, though. My main concern would be in regards to children. I would think that a child would experience confusion at one point if they are always shuttled around to different religious meetings. While I'm sure the parents may think that they are exposing their children to some kind of religious training and that in time they will have the freedom to choose which one to go to (or none, for that matter), they better be prepared for a lot of questions. Plus, I would think that it would put a lot of pressure on them to choose between their father's religion and their mother's religious. Surely, they wouldn't want to offend one or the other.

All of the 'mixed' marriages I know of have decided that their children will be raised in one faith or the other.

I've been at the homes, makes for interesting dinner table conversation when the kids are concerned about the salvation of a parent.

Funny now that I think about it, all except one that I know the kids are always raised to the older thought...ie Christian v. Jewish, the kids are being raised Jewish, Protestant v. Catholic, the kids are being raised Catholic, New Thought v. Methodist, the kids are raised Methodist...

Gotta contemplate that one....

Now the kids do attend some special services, much as we all do when one of our friends gets married or has a baby...so there is some cross exposure, but they are not bouncing from faith to faith....and there is only one instance that I am aware of where a child has switched to the faith of the opposite parent....

Does this question not counterpoint the absolute nonsense that any religeon is superior to any other? The sad fact ,IMHO, is that there is far too little inter-faith/racial (aint they essentialy the same?), marraige or relationships. Seems to me that the majority look for and draw emphasis to differences rather than look at what we share. If there is a 'God' that is 'responsible' for what we are then that God would be saddened that we seek to find so many ways to divide ourselves.
On the physical side, in some faiths, inter family marraiges are responsible for terrible mutations. Is that right?

Tao_Equus said:
Does this question not counterpoint the absolute nonsense that any religeon is superior to any other? The sad fact ,IMHO, is that there is far too little inter-faith/racial (aint they essentialy the same?), marraige or relationships. Seems to me that the majority look for and draw emphasis to differences rather than look at what we share. If there is a 'God' that is 'responsible' for what we are then that God would be saddened that we seek to find so many ways to divide ourselves.
On the physical side, in some faiths, inter family marraiges are responsible for terrible mutations. Is that right?

Good Answer...

A relationship should be built on trust, free thinking, sharing and love. And since there is only God (no matter what faith you follow) and God is everywhere and a part of everyone...religion should not be a factor.

Back