mystical v magickal paths

bgruagach

eclectic Wiccan
Reaction score
Some writers on spiritual paths, such as Evelyn Underwood in her classic text "Mysticism," describe mystical and magickal spiritual paths as being in conflict.

The way Underhill describes it, the mystic wants to transcend the normal human condition to a state of union with the Divine. The magickian, on the other hand, seeks to transcend the normal human condition in order to wield power over it.

In this viewpoint, mystics are following a selfless path while magickians are following a selfish one.

What do you think? Are mysticism and magick inherently in conflict? Or is it possible to incorporate the two into a single healthy spiritual path? Do you have any examples of when this has been done?

Namaste,

good post.

in my experience, this is the case. the mystic is selfless and the magiker is selfish. though i have a very limited set of data to base my conclusion upon.

i'll give you a for instance.

i've a good friend that is a very high ranking member of the I.O.T.

in any event.. he and his group were going to perform a ritual a few months ago and i just happened to be around when he was planning for it so we got to discussing it. the point of the ritual was for each member to make money. that was it. no puesdo helping others or anything like that... quite sensible about it they seemed to be.

A most excellent discussion topic. :)

If I may focus on a personal (intuitive?) definition, rather than from any dictionary, the distinction is one of personal perception of "empowerment".

In simple extreme terms:

The Mystic sees a universe that they have no power over, so they seek instead to obey the Higher Divine Powers.

Tha Magician sees a universe that they can have power over, so they seek instead to become a Higher Divine Power.

Perhaps extreme forms - but, in simplest terms, the Mystic seeks to follow God, and the Magician seeks to be God.

Of course, there is a vast grey swathe in-between - - - many people practicising various magical paths will see both aspects as personally relevant in different ways. Certainly not every magician is a Hardcore Ceremonial Magician - - - and not every Mystic believes they have no Free Will to exercise in addition to Divine Will. :)

Personally, I don't see think the conflict is inherent in the mystical and magickal paths as much as in specific views of deity.

In a worldview that perceives the Divine as transcendant and separate from the physical realm, it's easy to see the physical realm as a distraction from working towards union with the Divine in an abstract other-place.

In a worldview that perceives the Divine as immanent (present in the physical realm) as in pantheism, or immanent AND transcendant as in panentheism, the physical realm is acknowledged as being just as worthy of honor and respect as the nonphysical other-place, whether it's called Heaven or the astral realm or the spiritual realm or whatever.

In transcendant spiritual systems mystics tend to reject the physical realm, practicing mortification of the flesh and denial of normal physical needs in order to focus exclusively on the invisible spiritual realms. In pantheist or panentheist spiritual systems, a person who seeks communion with the Divine would probably be insulting that very Divine by rejecting the physical realm in favor of the invisible realms.

I also find it misleading to assume that magickal paths are essentially about seeking and obtaining power. I'm sure that's true for some, but there is a prominent emphasis in many magickal paths (ceremonial magick for one example) on what is called the Great Work or pursuing High Magick. The Great Work or High Magick is sometimes described as attaining knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel, or in other systems is called attaining cosmic consciousness, or even being ridden by the loa (in Voudou.) [Edited to add: the Great Work sounds an awful lot like communion with the Divine to me.]

From what I've learned over the years, magickians do usually try to draw the benefits of Divine communion back into the physical realm to make things better for themselves and others. In pantheist and panentheist worldviews, where the physical realm is respected as being part of the Divine too, making things better in the physical realm could be thought of as a way of honoring that expression of the Divine.

Mystics who reject the physical realm, even in a transcendant worldview, could be perceived as being rather selfish as they are only concerned with escaping this realm.

Just another outlook on it all!

As always, so much depends on the definition of terms involved, as well as in the personal experience of the definer.

I agree with bruagach's discussion on pantheism and panentheism, with the added statement that we find few examples of these philosophies in a pure or absolute form. Even in modern Christianity, God is generally considered to be transcendent, but most apprehensions of Him--particularly in the more mystical and personal versions--acknowledge Him as immanent as well, as in "Christ dwelling within me."

My experience runs along these lines: I am a witch, but I also make frequent use of ceremonial magic in my own practice, and my daughter and future son-in-law are members of the O.T.O., a ceremonial magic group in the Golden Dawn tradition.

In my experience, and in VERY SIMPLISTIC TERMS, ceremonial magicians practice what they call "high magic" (often spelled "magick"), which involves, among other things, taking authority over spirit forces--angels, demons, what-have-you--by virtue of the power of certain formulae, including various tetragrammatons (four-letter names of God). Witches practice "low magic" or "natural magic," which doesn't seek to dominate spiritual forces, but, rather, to work WITH the spirits of nature, the elements, and so on. While these are not absolute definitions in any sense, they do convey something of the gulf between the two traditions. When I'm teaching baby witchlets, I joke that the ceremonialists are VERY careful to get everything right, that if they mispronounce a word the demon jumps into their circle and eats them; witches, on the other hand, prefer to work with the demons instead of presuming to boss them around. Again, these are monstrous oversimplifications, and used for humorous effect.

Bruagach is correct about the "Great Work" and its implications. "Conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel" is, among other things, a path to self-knowledge and, therefore, to magical control. In fact, every magical tradition with which I am familiar--including ceremonial high magic, several flavors of witchcraft, shamanism, druidism, and elemental magic--all emphasize the necessity of the magician or witch working to perfect him or herself first, clearing up the blockages and issues and emotional problems that hinder him or her before attempting to wield magic in the world outside. Further, most traditions emphasize that the real work takes place within, in personal improvement, not in rewriting the world outside. In practice, something like a quick I-need-money-for-the-rent spell is a LOT easier to perform successfully than is the editing of one's own psyche! Besides, the self-improvement, self-evidently, is an ongoing process carried out across this and many more lifetimes.

That, in any case, is how I understand high and low magic.

In a recent discussion with my future son-in-law, who is a priest within the O.T.O., I asked him about my perception of ordering demons around. I didn't begrudge him the fun, but I didn't care for the idea myself. It seems arrogant, somehow.

His reply gave me something to think about. If the "demons" are, in fact, NOT the fallen angels of Christian mythology, but dark or injured aspects of our own psyches, then we can imagine how commanding a demon to appear and do our will is not so much ordering an angelic being around as it is taking a very firm hand with our own subconscious mind. And in this lies a lot of the true power of all magical work.

My take on the thread question is this. The words "magical" and "mystical" each can be slippery, and mean different things to different people. For me, magic can be a mystical practice, and the two are NOT mutually exclusive. I disagree with Underwood's thesis that "mystic" exclusively refers to union with the divine. I also disagree that magic is relegated solely to selfish and therefore to bad ends.

Nor can I agree that the one is good while the other is bad. I feel that taking power over other sentient beings, whether in this world or another, that exercising that power over others through domination and control, is ethically questionable at best, and presumptual arrogance bordering on black magic at worst. The ethics of magical power, as in most things, depend on what you do with that power, not the power itself. Seeking to unite with the Divine, however we picture it, I see as equivalent to seeking to improve the self and, so long as none are harmed, represents a productive and therefore "good" path.

But--a quick aside, here. It's fairly well known that Adolph Hitler was a thoroughgoing mystic, and that he was deeply involved in mystical traditions involving Aryan brotherhoods and Germanic descent from a "pure" Atlantean race. He was not a magician, in that he did not practice (so far as I know) magic himself, but his mystical leanings and experiences led him to formulate the basic policies of the Nazi party and to expect victory in the European war.

At the same time, it is fairly well known that a group of witches in northern England practiced an involved spellworking aimed at preventing Hitler from invading Britain. How was Hitler's mysticism "good," in this case, and the witches' magic, which WAS employed for essentially selfish reasons, "bad?"

The whole spirit-matter issue goes back at LEAST as far as Aristotle, who passed on his notions of spirit=good, matter=bad to the Christians, and, similarly, various Eastern traditions have long held that we are bound to the wheel of incarnation in matter and that this is something we must seek to escape, generally by suppressing or transcending ego and desire. Most witches see importance in both spirit AND body, and celebrate the glorious wonder of the union of the two. [One reason for our love of the Great Rite!] For me, this is one of the key distinctions between Christianity and modern witchcraft: Christians see the physical world as fallen and lost in sin, that death itself entered the world through sin, and that this world and all people are inherently broken and imperfect for that reason; witches see the world as a beautiful expression of Deity's creative and loving aspect, and see the Divine within all of creation . . . including ourselves.

Or so it seems to me! I agree--a wonderful discussion topic!

I cannot help but translate the definition of "magic" coming from the "Dictionnary of Law and Practice" by C-J. de Ferrière, 1758 (yes, I confess that I collect old law books): ;)

"Magic is a revolting art that teaches how to invoke demons and, pursuant to a pact with them, to bring about supernatural occurences."

Baud

bgruagach said:
Some writers on spiritual paths, such as Evelyn Underwood in her classic text "Mysticism," describe mystical and magickal spiritual paths as being in conflict.

The way Underhill describes it, the mystic wants to transcend the normal human condition to a state of union with the Divine. The magickian, on the other hand, seeks to transcend the normal human condition in order to wield power over it.

In this viewpoint, mystics are following a selfless path while magickians are following a selfish one.

What do you think? Are mysticism and magick inherently in conflict? Or is it possible to incorporate the two into a single healthy spiritual path? Do you have any examples of when this has been done?

Namaskar,

If you follow any mystical path, occult powers will automatically be developed as your consciousness expands. If you start to make use of such powers however, you are at odds with the laws of nature and your abuse will eventually lead to your spiritual downfall (your ego will be inflated and all your gains will be lost).

So I wouldn't call the "magical path" a spiritual path at all if this path is only concerned with developing and using magical or occult powers.

The Book of Eat Shi*

bgruagach said:
:eek:

Ezekiel 4:1-17

1 ¶ Thou also, son of man, take thee a tile, and lay it before thee, and pourtray upon it the city, even Jerusalem:
2 And lay siege against it, and build a fort against it, and cast a mount against it; set the camp also against it, and set battering rams against it round about.
3 Moreover take thou unto thee an iron pan, and set it for a wall of iron between thee and the city: and set thy face against it, and it shall be besieged, and thou shalt lay siege against it. This shall be a sign to the house of Israel.
4 Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity.
5 For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel.
6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.
7 Therefore thou shalt set thy face toward the siege of Jerusalem, and thine arm shall be uncovered, and thou shalt prophesy against it.
8 And, behold, I will lay bands upon thee, and thou shalt not turn thee from one side to another, till thou hast ended the days of thy siege.

9 ¶ Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.
10 And thy meat which thou shalt eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day: from time to time shalt thou eat it.
11 Thou shalt drink also water by measure, the sixth part of an hin: from time to time shalt thou drink.
12 And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.
13 And the LORD said, Even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them. 14 Then said I, Ah Lord GOD! behold, my soul hath not been polluted: for from my youth up even till now have I not eaten of that which dieth of itself, or is torn in pieces; neither came there abominable flesh into my mouth.
15 Then he said unto me, Lo, I have given thee cow’s dung for man’s dung, and thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith.
16 Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, behold, I will break the staff of bread in Jerusalem: and they shall eat bread by weight, and with care; and they shall drink water by measure, and with astonishment:
17 That they may want bread and water, and be astonished one with another, and consume away for their iniquity.

Re: The Book of Eat Shi*

Kindest Regards, Karehndiujo Mohmid!
Karehndiujo Mohmid said:
Ezekiel 4:1-17

1 ¶ Thou also, son of man, take thee a tile, and lay it before thee, and pourtray upon it the city, even Jerusalem:
2 And lay siege against it, and build a fort against it, and cast a mount against it; set the camp also against it, and set battering rams against it round about.
3 Moreover take thou unto thee an iron pan, and set it for a wall of iron between thee and the city: and set thy face against it, and it shall be besieged, and thou shalt lay siege against it. This shall be a sign to the house of Israel.
4 Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity.
5 For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel.
6 And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.
7 Therefore thou shalt set thy face toward the siege of Jerusalem, and thine arm shall be uncovered, and thou shalt prophesy against it.
8 And, behold, I will lay bands upon thee, and thou shalt not turn thee from one side to another, till thou hast ended the days of thy siege.
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the subject of the thread? I understood this passage in Ezekiel to be prophecy concerning the dispersion of the House of Israel and the House of Judah. Those decendents of the House of Israel no longer are familiar with their heritage (that is, they don't realize who they are).

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Karehndiujo Mohmid!
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the subject of the thread? I understood this passage in Ezekiel to be prophecy concerning the dispersion of the House of Israel and the House of Judah. Those decendents of the House of Israel no longer are familiar with their heritage (that is, they don't realize who they are).
Many Returns.

The passages are instructions for a ritual.

not one i've ever come across in judaism, thank you very much. i don't think ezekiel enjoyed the experience of being a prophet very much. in fact, a lot of them didn't. jeremiah is a particularly good example.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain said:
not one i've ever come across in judaism, thank you very much. i don't think ezekiel enjoyed the experience of being a prophet very much. in fact, a lot of them didn't. jeremiah is a particularly good example.

b'shalom

bananabrain
Well...I'm a bit exhausted with Judah's current rap myself, thank you very much.

Jeremiah is...a perfectly good example.

b'shalom yourself.

hey all,

i'm going to paraphrase some william james here.

a mystical experience is one that defies description and must be experienced to be understood.

and in which one feels that some greater spiritual knowledge or truth (as opposed to a truth meant solely for the person undergoing this epiphany) has been revealed.

if anything, these things seem to imply surrender to rather than control of spiritual power.

Indeed - I find the concept of "controlling" spiritual "powers" to be a bit odd - like someone claiming they have a leash on God.

Brian-

i agree. from my point of view, manipulating or controling spiritual power as one's sole religious practice doesn't sound balanced. though i could be looking at this all wrong....

still, i get the impression that the terms "mystic" and "magick" get confused fairly often, which doesn't help sort things out. one's experiences when practicing magick may be mystical. but as i understand it, mystical experiences often fall upon a person like a sort of grace, and are not learned and acted out.

Back