The presence of evil

cavalier

Reaction score
I've visited this site before, but never written anything. You seem to be a knowledgable bunch, so perhaps someone can help me with this.

I was brought up in a devout Christian (bretheren) household. All this was fine until I began thinking on the presence of evil in the world. How is it possible that a world created by a perfect God, now has the taint of imperfection, in the form of evil, or sin. A perfect God's creation must also be perfect, and therefore impervious to evil.

Later I became very interested in Buddhism, but the same question came back, if original nature is infinite and pure, where did the imperfection come from?

I would be very grateful for any thoughts any of you might have.

Awesome question....asked all over the place and answered in volumes of books....

How about we ponder your thought, G-d is good and everywhere present...

Maybe it is true....

Maybe everything is good...

And it is only our perception that makes it not...

Thanks wil, but I really need something a bit more indepth than that. I have come across these ponderings many times before and, suffice it to say, they do not exactly answer my quetions.

So about 10 years ago I was sitting on a curb with a friend, my Tai Chi instructor friend, (who will be 'ordained' (?) ) as a Tibetan Buddhist Monk next month...

Anywho we were sitting there one afternoon when I told him I was working on this unconditional love stuff...and I'm getting better but I couldn't reconcile the Hitlers, mass murderers, child molestors....

He indicated we either understand these concepts spiritually, on the plane of superconscious, the heavenly level...or if not we try the mental level..(which often gets in the way...this logical thinking stuff) but if we can't get it on either one of those....and we are seriously contemplating (pondering, focusing, praying...the thought is taking up space in our frontal lobe...)

If we can't get it on the mental or spiritual planes....and we are thinking about it...the universe, G-d, spirit, will be nice enough to place it in our physical plane...we'll get to experience it...and then be forded to contemplate it along other topics like with hate, vengence, patience, forgiveness.....etc.

Now I did want to hit him, but I bless him for only giving this damn one hand clapping response...as it allowed me my musings and an understanding deeper than any book (like 'why do bad things happen to good people).

So try again...meditate longer, ponder deeper...think of one item from the past that you perceive as evil, and then see if you can see anybody that thinks it is not evil...anyone that has benefitted from this evil...any possible way the world as a whole benefitted from the lesson that someone gave the world?

Sorry to be abstruse, but enlightenment comes from within...gaining your own insight...rather than mine or some authors...

Ok, this time a sincere thanks.
I guess my problem is that, though I don't really believe it, there's a little voice in my head saying that all this meditation, pondering, praying, etc. is a waste of time. But I guess I already know what your answer to that would be, and hey, my own answer is already written there in this reply.

I'll take your suggestion on board.

There is a famous Jewish philosopher, so famous that I can't remember his name right now, who once observed that evil was the leaven in the dough that raised the whole lump of dough through its actions, and when sufficiently heated, disappeared and left us with wonderful things to eat.

I like this explanation better than Iraq, Iran, and North Korea.

flow....:D

Namaste Cavalier,

thank you for the post.

cavalier said:
Later I became very interested in Buddhism, but the same question came back, if original nature is infinite and pure, where did the imperfection come from?

i would be curious to know where you learned that ones nature is infinite and pure.

however, i suppose that i don't see the connection.

that ones nature may be pure or not has little to do with the acquired conditioning that their consciousness has undergone.

metta,

~v

Flowperson, I understand what you're saying and can see how it works, but doesn't it go a little deeper than that? This explanation tells us why we should tolerate evil, but the point is that a God who is perfect could not tolerate evil and neither could any of his creations. The only explanations I can think of are that God isnt perfect, or that evil isnt really evil.

Vajradhara
excuse me, it was a few years ago that all this took place and my terminology appears to be a little rusty. I didn't mean my original nature, but original nature itself, God, pure being, the nameless void.

So if all is pure and perfect, any acquired conditioning that a consciousness can undergo must also be pure and perfect.

I'm joining the discussion a bit late and mid-stream, but since this problem has always intrigued (not to mention genuinely troubled) me over the years, I wanted to comment.

Yes, the question naturally arises, how can that Whom and/or Which is Perfect give rise to that which is imperfect?

The best answer I've found, comes not from pursuing this question alone, but by inquiring along other lines and then asking ourselves if we might be asking the wrong sort of question to start with! ;)

What do I mean? Well it's like this. The PERFECT SOURCE of our Being (and all Being) is, by definition, COMPLETE - and INFINITE. Thus, a bit of simple logic will show us that in fact the ONLY thing such Being (or UNconditioned Source/Ground of Being) can produce or emanate, will be by very definition ... finite, conditioned, and imperfect. This is because only by LIMITATION can expression of the UNlimited go forth ...

We do not grasp this, because we try to apply the rules of logic as they apply within our conditioned world(s), yet ask yourself - If "God" (replace this with ANY suitable term that suits your fancy) is by definition already Perfect in the ABSOLUTE sense, and not simply relativistically, then you will be forced to agree that NO GREATER PERFECTION can or could ever (!) be attained by that (state of, or type of) BEING. We should dwell upon this point awhile (shoot, for as long as possible! :D) before proceeding ...

And when we finally do return to pondering conditioned, limited, relative modes/methods of expression and Being, then we will also be forced to rethink that logic that tells us that just because God is Perfect, everything to which He/It gives rise is also perfect. In simple terms, we've got the wrong `God' here.

This is where the most helpful aspect of the Gnostic teachings comes into play, imho. If we read up on Ialdabaoth (see Wikipedia), the Demiurgos, we can begin to get some idea. The Creator-God(s) of the various religions - in the case of the Gnostics, the Hebrew YHVH - can be shown to be IMperfect, and it's no real wonder that they therefore speak of the (material) creation a "evil." I think this is technically INcorrect, since by the same logic we must conclude that ALL OF EMANATED CREATION is "evil," since a LIMITED manifestation (or emanation) of the unconditioned Ground of Being (the Unmanifest, the Ain or Ain Soph of Kabbalah).

I prefer to think of the manifested Cosmos as embodying various degrees of PERFECTION, rather than focusing on the IMperfect aspects, yet these are just two sides of the same coin ... and are both important to understand in order to gain proper perspective.

This is initial response only, doesn't take things to a deeper level ... but I ran out of time! Hope it gets a few things started to kick around though ...

cheers,

taijasi

Namaste Cavalier,

thank you for the post.

cavalier said:
Vajradhara
excuse me, it was a few years ago that all this took place and my terminology appears to be a little rusty.

no worries :) sincerity is what counts, in my view. with a willingness to dialog, we can always work out miscommunications and such forth.

I didn't mean my original nature, but original nature itself, God, pure being, the nameless void.

that's what i was asking about, though perhaps not very clearly. what "original nature itself"? the "nameless void" is a rather unfortunate translation that has become part of the mainstream lexicon with regards to Buddhist praxis. Nirvana is not a "void" and Shyunata is related to the interdependent nature of phenomena.

thus, Buddhism doesn't really have a teaching of "pure being" or "nameless void" and, of course "God" (at least in the Creator Deity sense. we do have teachings where Buddha taught the various Gods the Dharma).

perhaps, however, you mean to use the term "Buddhanature"?

So if all is pure and perfect, any acquired conditioning that a consciousness can undergo must also be pure and perfect.

which is logically sound, however, not related to Buddhist teaching. Buddhism doesn't posit that everything within this universe was "pure and perfect" and, something happens, and suddenly things aren't that way.

in point of fact, the answer to this question really depends on where a being is in terms of their spiritual development, within the context of Buddha Dharma, at any rate.

this sort of view, and please correct me if i'm mistaken, is taken from a view whereby there is a first cause, an initial state from which all subsequent phenomena follow.

Buddha Dharma doesn't teach this. Buddha Dharma teaches that phenomena arise in mutual dependence upon each other. "evil" is a term which humans use and not an objective state of the universe. in fact, even the idea of evil is different amongst human beings. in any event, Buddhism doesn't really employ those terms in the Suttas. though i have seen English translations which use them, i suspect it is a concession to language nuances.

metta,

~v

cavalier said:
A perfect God's creation must also be perfect, and therefore impervious to evil.

This is possibly the cause of the problem - the presumption that perfect must be free of those things that we personally dislike or socially condemn.

Taijasi, I'll have to think about what you wrote, I'm not sure I buy into your idea that a perfect being can only produce things which are imperfect.

Vajradhara, good to hear back from you. I think the term I was searching for (in vain) before was Buddhanature.
You wrote that, "Buddhism doesn't posit that everything within this universe was "pure and perfect"" So if you believe (I don't know if you do) that all religions are different ways in which mankind searches for the same truth, this would have to mean that God is not all-poweful, am I understanding this right?
I'm curious, does Buddha Dharma allow that these phenomena, though mutually dependent, are not equal?

Brian
While I accept that perfection does not have to be free from that which we do not like or socially condemn, surely acts of not liking or condemnation are, in themsleves, imperfections.

Vajradhara said:
Namaste Cavalier,

thank you for the post.

no worries :) sincerity is what counts, in my view. with a willingness to dialog, we can always work out miscommunications and such forth.

that's what i was asking about, though perhaps not very clearly. what "original nature itself"? the "nameless void" is a rather unfortunate translation that has become part of the mainstream lexicon with regards to Buddhist praxis. Nirvana is not a "void" and Shyunata is related to the interdependent nature of phenomena.

thus, Buddhism doesn't really have a teaching of "pure being" or "nameless void" and, of course "God" (at least in the Creator Deity sense. we do have teachings where Buddha taught the various Gods the Dharma).

perhaps, however, you mean to use the term "Buddhanature"?

which is logically sound, however, not related to Buddhist teaching. Buddhism doesn't posit that everything within this universe was "pure and perfect" and, something happens, and suddenly things aren't that way.

in point of fact, the answer to this question really depends on where a being is in terms of their spiritual development, within the context of Buddha Dharma, at any rate.

this sort of view, and please correct me if i'm mistaken, is taken from a view whereby there is a first cause, an initial state from which all subsequent phenomena follow.

Buddha Dharma doesn't teach this. Buddha Dharma teaches that phenomena arise in mutual dependence upon each other. "evil" is a term which humans use and not an objective state of the universe. in fact, even the idea of evil is different amongst human beings. in any event, Buddhism doesn't really employ those terms in the Suttas. though i have seen English translations which use them, i suspect it is a concession to language nuances.

metta,

~v
Hi V. Quite right in pointing out that Buddhism doesn't typicaly employ the term "evil," though 1 of the few times I've seen it used was in the 3 primary vows associated with Zen: "refrain from doing evil, do good and purify the mind." Wonder if that was a translation quirk though I've seen that phrased that way in countless English language sources. I rather like the way Buddhism typically thinks of "negative" human behavior- as being unskillful and/or "deluded-" deluded as to the true nature of all things icluding ourselves-as not seeing/being Sunyata. Yes westerners often simply associate Sunyata with Void and the wrong slant on "empiness" when what all phenomena are empty of is a self-sufficient, independent, and permanent identity. Rather existence is interdependent, ever fluxing. When one can realize that to its ultimate depths, one's behavior then accords naturally with "the good and the pure." In the Mahayana tradition they then speak of when actions are done to that degree of realization there is no one doing good, no one receiving good and no good done, but I digress.:) Guess another way I have of thinking about "evil" and "good" is that which promotes wholeness is "healthy" or "good," meaning "whole" in the whole functioning of awareness-aware of the many layers of mutual interdepencies within an individual and between beings which in turn leads to skillful actions which optimize the wholeness to be found in that mind moment. have a whole one, earl:D

Namaste Cavalier,

thank you for the post.

cavalier said:
Vajradhara, good to hear back from you. I think the term I was searching for (in vain) before was Buddhanature.

no worries :)

So if you believe (I don't know if you do) that all religions are different ways in which mankind searches for the same truth, this would have to mean that God is not all-poweful, am I understanding this right?

well.. let me say it like this. the Buddhist view is that if a religious paradigm teaches a valid moral and ethical path (beneficial to beings or harmful), it is considered to be a valid spiritual refuge. a spiritual refuge, in our parlance, means that the tradition has the capability to transform the being in a spiritual manner, taking the dross and leaving the gold, so to speak.

however, that does not mean that all spiritual refuges are the Final Refuge. that is, naturally, Buddha Dharma. as such, it isn't the overall view that the Adharmic traditions are pursuing the same goal as the Dharma traditions. even within the Dharma traditions there are distinctions made.

as far as deities being omnipotent, Buddhism doesn't say much about that particular aspect. it does, however, disagree with the idea of a Creator Deity regardless of how much power said deity may weild.

I'm curious, does Buddha Dharma allow that these phenomena, though mutually dependent, are not equal?

are you asking if we see "good" and "evil" as equal? for a simple answer, i would say "no". we would value the good more highly than evil. however, as i mentioned, we really don't use these terms. earl explains it well in the post previous to this. our terms are related to the skillful or unskillful actions that a being engages in with regards to putting an end to Dukkha. some actions help that and some actions inhibit that realization.

metta,

~v

cavalier said:
Flowperson, I understand what you're saying and can see how it works, but doesn't it go a little deeper than that? This explanation tells us why we should tolerate evil, but the point is that a God who is perfect could not tolerate evil and neither could any of his creations. The only explanations I can think of are that God isnt perfect, or that evil isnt really evil.

Hi Cavalier:

I agee with you. I was only citing a realistic philosophical viewpoint that pretty much describes evil's actions from a systemic approach. Things are built up, destroyed, and rebuilt. It's how natural systems work in our realities, even including the works of humans. It is our propensity to label that which destroys as evil, live spelled backwards. But life, that emanation which comes from G-d always prevails, at least so far.

History and personal observation teach that, yes there are deeper and darker things to discern, but the real dangers to our souls that are possible through discernment are what we need to be concerned about. I do not believe that the rituals of exorcism would exist if there weren't a need for them to be applied to humans in these situations from time to time.

flow....:cool:

cavalier said:
I'll have to think about what you wrote, I'm not sure I buy into your idea that a perfect being can only produce things which are imperfect.
Yes, I posted earlier in haste, and as I reread the post, although I can understand what I was getting at - I can see how it could be confusing. But I think the problem lies in our attempt to bridge between the Unmanifest (or UNCONDITIONED state of Being, as a Buddhist might put it), and the manifest, conditioned states ... the latter being all that we can experience while still bound to the wheel of rebirth.

I could go on to say that the real problem, imo, lies in the very assumptions we make about a/the Divine Being called `God,' and I always chuckle when I watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and they mention a fictitious book called `Who is This God Person, Anyway?' It comes after two books about the various mistakes of God, entitled `[SIZE=-1]Where God Went Wrong' [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] `Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes.' ;):p

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Now Douglas Adams was an unabashed atheist, so these titles are purely comical, but from my own POV, Adams actually gave expression to some of the most sublime aspects of an esoteric cosmology in his Hitchhiker series. In such notions as Deep Thought's design of The Earth in order to find the answer to life, the universe and everything, Adams is invoking hylozoism, and any sincere Neoplatonist could benefit considerably by reading and rereading his books!

In very plain, practical and simple terms, as an esotericist I regard "this God person" as in no wise different from ourselves when it comes to the essentials of His Being. The real distinction, I believe, is that the Spiritual Regent of the Earth is simply evolving on a higher turn of the spiral. He is what has been called sometimes `an imperfect God,' because as yet this Being has not attained to the stated goal of spiritual evolution that lies before Him. Some of His co-disciples upon the Path have reached that goal, and these are the Seven Spirits Before the Throne of Christianity. The Seven Spirits, the Hebrew Elohim, do qualify as "Perfect Gods" in that they have attained ahead of their younger Brother, the Earth Eloi, yet all aspire mutually to the grander status of their Eldest Brother, the Solar Logos.

Now this is not simply a Theosophical presentation or belief (as some may object), because it will be found that every Mystery Tradition throughout history teaches, or taught, these truths. Name me a culture or a religion, and we can find parallels. It was known and taught in every tradition that Humanity are the much, much younger Brethren of these lofty spiritual entities, and it was also taught that just as imperfect gods strive to attain to their respective equivalent of Perfection, so likewise do all humans strive for the goal of Perfection placed before us!

A perfected human being may well, and rightly so, look upon the rest of struggling Humanity and regard us, from His or Her POV, as "evil." Inasmuch as we have not yet overcome the darker, inertial aspects of our terrestrial nature (all of that within us which is not Buddha-nature, or which naturally gravitates away from spirit), we might be said to be "evil." But the definition is not absolute, nor is our status of incompletion or imperfection in any real way against the Divine Imperative.

Where error and misunderstanding seem to creep in, is in the notion that somehow an erring, sinful Humanity has "run amuck" with respect to the grander, Divine Scheme. And this, I learned long ago, is dead wrong. Nothing could be farther from the truth ...

We may find it helpful to invoke such concepts as Karma, Dharma, and Buddha-nature in order to answer the question (or address the "problem") of the nature of evil. But this really only works if we stick to the Buddhist framework/mindset, and too much overlap with the Christian will require the invocation of different terminologies. Christ taught Karma, in the Law of Sowing and Reaping, Cause and Effect. He most certainly preached the importance of our individual, as well as collective Dharma, since to "go about doing the Lord's business" is actually the greatest Service a human being (or collective Humanity) could render! And Christ also emphasized our spiritual potential (not unlike Buddha-nature), and Communed with the Divine in ways which the Apostles were as yet only just beginning to learn ...

But it seems that even the Buddha did not offer to expound fully upon the nature of evil in his public teachings, just as the Christ, also, reserved certain of his doctrines for the ears of the elect. Buddha taught the Four Noble Truths, and so we know that ultimately, dukkha comes about through trishna, tanha. Yet desire is not in & of itself a "bad" thing, and in fact, without this thirst or inclination Humanity would never have become Humanity, and we would never have "fallen into generation" to begin with!

Without desire, we would have remained within the realms of pure Spirit, which is fine and lovely and dandy, but this is the condition of un-self-consciousness, and it corresponds to the unhatched egg, or to an embryo, as contradistinct from The Perfected (read matured) Man.

Esoteric Buddhism, as well as Esoteric Christianity, will both refer in varying terminologies to the Divine Spark of our innermost Being (the electric `Jewel' concealed by the Solar Lotus, aka `The Divine Pilgrim, or Prodigal'), which has clothed itself in matter and descended into the worlds of generation and imperfection in order to pursue, through a long series of material embodiments, the experience necessary for self-knowledge.

Couldn't the Divine have simply imparted this to us without making us go through all the rigamarole? Well gee, I dunno, but I should think not! I mean, after all, here we are! :p Or you could just ask Him, but thus far my own inquiry tells me NO. God doesn't make mistakes as such, yet this is a nice, simple and childish conception of the Divine ... and it denies the very necessary admission that God, too, evolves - develops, strives and attains, and verily moves from relative imperfection to increasing degrees of Divine, Spiritual Perfection ... just as we know we do, on our respective turn of the spiral.

Only THE ABSOLUTE, the UNCONDITIONED Ground of Being, is exempt from this cyclical process, Kalpa after Kapla, Cosmos after Cosmos - World after World - each the incarnation (or `Dream') of the Divine Being. Even the most immediate manifestations to arise from this Great Ground of Being ... are imperfect and incomplete, relative to their Parent SOURCE. And thus, ONLY after the close of a given cycle, when ALL ELSE has been (temporarily) resolved or absorbed back into these first, emanating aspects - can and will the Supreme Logos Himself attain to the goal of FINAL PERFECTION placed before Him, as He too, "like a dewdrop, slips into the shining sea" (a SEA which for us, as for Him, will forever remain DARKNESS and VOID - until that Day of Days, which we call `NIGHT' - or cosmic pralaya).

Then we will know the answer, although there will be neither Knower nor Known, neither Questioner nor Question, neither Answer nor One-Who-Answers ... because NO DUALITY, no Good, no Evil, no dire Heresy of separateness, and no messy situational ethics where baby-killing and father-rape confront the folks on `Group W' bench, resident Earth. :rolleyes:

taijasi[/SIZE]

As I wrote before, this is the first time I've used this forum, and I have to say that I'm really bowled over by the experience. Thanks for all the replies, I've got a lot to think on. For now, I think I need to step back a little from this thread and, as I say, think about what's been written. If I don't I can see myself getting a bit tangled up and lost.

Thanks again

Back